Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Yearly Goals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sure it's a handy one this year in comparison to the one you've already in the bag. 3 whole days less.

Sure id only have to roll out :D

If only it were that simple! I reckon the shortening of it and likely less continental pros to let bring breaks back will only make it more frantic for longer periods! Might not be quicker overall but I reckon the periods of it going crazy will be more frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Bambaata wrote: »
    Sure id only have to roll out :D

If only it were that simple! I reckon the shortening of it and likely less continental pros to let bring breaks back will only make it more frantic for longer periods! Might not be quicker overall but I reckon the periods of it going crazy will be more frequent.

No I know I was only messing. Hope to be doing it myself.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    My Goals:

1) Orwell Randonnee.
    2) Skoda Tour of Connemara.
    3) Skoda Tour of the Boyne Valley.
    4) Great Dublin Bike Ride.
    5) Great Belfast Bike Ride. (if it happens)
    6) Tony Golden Memorial Cycle.
    7) Ashbourne Burners Summer Solstice Cycle.
    8) Waterford-Dungarvin-Waterford Cycleway on my "going to the shops" bike on . . a nice summer day.
    9) Cycle all possible routes up and down Bellewstown Hill.
    10) Playa Blanca to Femes.
    11) Lap the Lough.

The Great Belfast Bike Ride is listed on the Cycling Ireland Website as happening on the 7th June, same day as the Wicklow200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

1) Reach the 10k target again to make it five in a row.

2) Manage to do all the optional climbs on this year's Hospice Cycle in the Italian Alps (Monte Grappo, Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo & Madonna del Ghisallo)

3) Guide on Paris2Nice again and hopefully a few more trips

4) Cycle the Barrow in a day

5) The Orwell Randonee, MB200 (if it's on), the Causeway Coast, the Reservoir Dog (if I'm around)

All of the above are very dependant on whether or not I need an operation on my AC joint that is messed up from a crash last February. If I can't put it off till the autumn, I could be off the bike for four months :(

5) No more crashes, especially in February which seems to be my jinx month!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

My main goal for 2020 is to just keep enjoying the cycling.

Distance - 5000km+
    Time - 200 hours
    Elevation gain - 65k+ metres

For 2020 I'd like to try hit 250 hours on the bike and maybe hit 6000km, and as I enjoy the hills I'd like to pass 70k metres elevation gain.

I split my time between cycling and running so can't be aiming for too much of an increase in bike time.

* start making the Saturday morning clubs spins - fell out of the habit in the 2nd half of 2019
    * complete the reservoir dog sportive - loved it the last couple of years
    * get out for more long trail/gravel spins - I'm spoiled for choice living in Wicklow!
    * toying with the idea of trying a few club races during the summer - this is a 50/50 goal, still not sure i'm up to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Bambaata wrote: »
    Complete Ras (this is most at risk as herself is due with our first not long before!! She says i can do it but im not convinced id want to be doing it!)
    Win an A2 race
    Sub 54:50 40k TT
    Reclaim club's TT trophies (10 & 25 milers)
    Get running again and begin the move back to triathlon!

This is a great place to write down my dreams because I'm fooling myself :-)

No interest in any stage racing this year
    Win an IVCA race - long time lurker first time entrant :-)
    Win any A1 race (most likely best chance is a Mondello gallop from a small group where everyone is off form and i've poisoned their water and gels)
    Sub 55:00 40K TT & sub 20 minute 10 mile - this is highly unlikely although I did invest in a new skinsuit which is 2 sizes too small for me, an alien looking TT helmet and a TT bike with no wheels. but i am useless at hurting myself for longer than 5 minutes.
    Get consistent long spins in and bring training up to 14 hours from an average of 10 - the Lucan auldies are scaring the bejaysus out of me with their 6 hours no stopping for coffee spins each day of the weekend.
    Get into CX from September onwards - did one and it was great craic!
    Try not get so angry on the commute although current drivers are making that tough with close and dangerous passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭JMcL

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Does it get very crowded?

A nice weekend day can get busy after say 11am. I use if fairly often to get out around Kilmacthomas and some lumpier stuff, but that would usually be before 9:30 when it tends to be a lot quieter

Goals for 2020:

Stretch total out to over 6000km. I topped 5000 for the first time in 2019 (almost double the nadir of 2018). Be less bothered about the weather - last year ended on the right footing on that one, so I mean to continue. Longer spins - I'm time pressed with family stuff so trying to find 4 hours for 100lm spins is tough. Will remedy this by getting out of the house before 7am soon as the mornings stretch out a bit and try to fit in at least one a month between say March and October at a minimum. Top 150km on a single spin for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Mine are:

4000km overall (up from 2200km - poor first half of the year, travel and late nights at work, and a short commute mean that reaching this will involve getting out for my usual 80k or so almost every weekend)

More midweek evening summer spins (up from 0 last year, no real idea why I had so few)

1000km around town and casual rides mainly on my new Brompton

Metric century and possibly 200km in one go (from 110km longest to date)

More sportives and one of Flanders or Liege

1000km in Ireland including two 100km+ sportives (work abroad so not as easy as it sounds - only managed Tour de Kilkenny this year)

Finally, aiming for significant spend on bikes or gear beyond a bike fit, servicing and some new club kit (have chopped and changed bikes on a yearly basis for the last 3 or 4 years for no real reason other than messing around).

If I make all of the above I'm planning to buy a new Di2 disc bike
    How are people doing 1/3 of the year in and in such bizarre circumstances?

I'm almost on track for my overall distance 4000km target (will probably be around 1200 by 30 April so a little over 100km behind pace) - had a good January, terrible February (largely weather related), and good March and April boosted by Zwift and using a bike as my main method of transport. Main difference is I'm now counting indoor rides as part of the total but wasn't intending to - probably about 350-400km of my total. Obviously not getting commutes in these days - but on the other hand I can't see myself taking public transport for a good while yet, and no travel / holidays / anything else to do in life to get in the way.

Most of the other targets are not going so great (some for obvious reasons e.g. sportives all cancelled) and working towards long rides (I've only gone about 80km three or four times with my club rides off for nearly two months but the year is still young)

I'm also buying a new bike which I promised not to do but got bored during lockdown - that goal was a clear failure!

Aiming for 500km+ a month for the next four months and will re-evaluate targets upwards if I get to that

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Not great so far!
    1) Orwell Randonnee.
    2) Mick Byrne 200.
    3) Paddy Martin Randonnee.
    4) Resevoir Dog. (Maybe)
    5) 5 days of touring in the Italian alps: Stelvio, Mortirolo, Gavia etc. (Probably cancelled)
    6) Try and hit 5000km (up from 4500km in 2019). (If I pull this off on Zwift I'll be mentally tougher than I ever thought possible.)

My new goals are getting out in the Wicklow mountains again and feeling the wind in my face. I'll be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got off to a bad start as it was and things went downhill from there.
    am only at 773km, 1806km behind pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Join my local club and ride with a group at least once a week - I joined my club, got the jersey and then all spins were suspended indefinitely before even meeting once. Really gutted about this.

Complete 3 events - Out the window. Maybe the event in October will take place.

Maintain target weight - so far so good!

Increase FTP to 4.2W/kg - currently at 4.3W/kg per last test. The improvements from a winter of structured training on Zwift were crazy. I now I have my eye on 4.5W/Kg.

Shave my hairy legs - Done! Bit the bullet just last week. It was like clearing a forest. :pac:

Finally do the imperial century
    - managed 144km (on Zwift) so this is still in the crosshairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

lissard wrote: »

My new goals are getting out in the Wicklow mountains again and feeling the wind in my face. I'll be happy with that.

I'm with you on that. Fingers crossed that it'll be sooner rather than later.

I'd was supposed to be getting the train to Rosslare this coming Friday for a solo tour from Fishguard to Holyhead. Hopefully later in the year but I'd be delighted with Wicklow right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No racing to date means most goals out the window.

New goals are

Win a Zwift B race
    Drop to 90kg
    Cycle with a buddy overanh hills in the South East.
    Keep focused & maintain progress on the bike.

Do some painting in the house or she will divorce me and / or sell the bikes!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What are your goals for 2020?
    Me, I plan on hitting 10k kms. Probably won't make it but I need to have a target to keep me going. Managed 4k last year so it will be tough going.
    Have plans for a few events - booked into the ŠKODA Tour de Conamara and will sign up for a few more.
    Also plan on building up my hill climbing muscles.
    I'm almost on 3500kms which I'm chuffed at. Still getting out on the rothar most days. I had actually thought I'd get more running in during the lockdown but my calf muscles really punish me for even thinking about it :(
    Shave my hairy legs - Done! Bit the bullet just last week. It was like clearing a forest. :pac:
    Eh, do people actually do this? :confused:
    (Or are you a lady that had let herself go?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i can see the benefit if you're a racing cyclist, at more risk of road rash, but there's no way in hell i'm adding that complication to my life.

Not great so far!
    1) Orwell Randonnee.
    2) Mick Byrne 200.
    3) Paddy Martin Randonnee.
    4) Resevoir Dog. (Maybe)
    5) 5 days of touring in the Italian alps: Stelvio, Mortirolo, Gavia etc. (Probably cancelled)
    6) Try and hit 5000km (up from 4500km in 2019). (If I pull this off on Zwift I'll be mentally tougher than I ever thought possible.)

I've found I find it much easier to get on Zwift if you have a full set-up ready to go instead of needing to remove / change wheel, connect to trainer, plug in laptop etc.

I used to set up in the home office and put the bike away after using it - wife needs that to work from home but I found a spot in a bathroom we don't use where the bike just about fits in. Leave it there and you are ready to go within 10-15 mins for an hour or two before / after work etc.

I've never lasted longer than 50-55km on it but I'm using it much more often than if I had to connect a bike each time

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

I've never lasted longer than 50-55km on it
    No problem getting the trainer set up, I just find an hour on the trainer a lot tougher than one on the road. Couldn't imagine what 80k would be like with no real freewheeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Takca wrote: »
    6,500km (managed 5200 last year but I was out of action for about 2 months due to injuries, so it should be doable)

Doing ok here, on 2,300km so far, I spent a lot of the winter cycling in the dark and freezing cold, now that the sun is here, I'm indoors :-( , I had almost hung up the bike for a few weeks when the restrictions came in but ended up joining a group doing turbo sessions on zoom which is going well (better then solo at least)
    Climb faster ( AKA loose about 15kg)
    Down 3kg, sure we'll see what happens, hopefully I can prevent the trend going up at least.
    I'll probably do a few events but none are specific goals
    Don't see much happening here for a few months but fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

daragh_ wrote: »
    Win something.

Well it looks like a Zwift D Race will have to count.

I have no goals anymore. Coffee Spin down to Laragh would do me.

• Advertisement

No problem getting the trainer set up, I just find an hour on the trainer a lot tougher than one on the road. Couldn't imagine what 80k would be like with no real freewheeling.
    Yeah you are right, I've an injured clubmate who is doing 100km+ spins every weekend. Might go for one in the next few weeks on a rainy day but the no freewheeling really does make it tougher

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Be able to cycle up Stocking Lane without having to turn left on Mt Venus road :)

My old trainer starts vibrating after about 40 minutes making it quite uncomfortable, suspect it is the bearings on the back wheel are maybe on the way out. Was doing a few 90 minute stints prior to that, albeit at a lower pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Join my local club and ride with a group at least once a week - I joined my club, got the jersey and then all spins were suspended indefinitely before even meeting once. Really gutted about this.

Complete 3 events - Out the window. Maybe the event in October will take place.

Maintain target weight - so far so good!

Increase FTP to 4.2W/kg - currently at 4.3W/kg per last test. The improvements from a winter of structured training on Zwift were crazy. I now I have my eye on 4.5W/Kg.

Finally do the imperial century
    - managed 144km (on Zwift) so this is still in the crosshairs!

Out of curiosity what was your FTP pre structured training?

JMcL wrote: »
    Goals for 2020:

Stretch total out to over 6000km. I topped 5000 for the first time in 2019 (almost double the nadir of 2018).

Was flying up til the end of March and probably on target for about 7000km. Still have managed about 250km this month on the turbo (haven't had the bike on the road since the lockdown)
    Be less bothered about the weather - last year ended on the right footing on that one, so I mean to continue.

Check - was out in all sorts during January and February. I think of the days when I didn't have to drive I only wimped out 4 times through Ciara and all her mates
    Longer spins - I'm time pressed with family stuff so trying to find 4 hours for 100lm spins is tough. Will remedy this by getting out of the house before 7am soon as the mornings stretch out a bit and try to fit in at least one a month between say March and October at a minimum. Top 150km on a single spin for the first time

This has been knocked for 6. Intentions are there and when we still could I was getting out of the house just after 6 for an hour and a half or so. We'll see what the rest of the year holds

On the plus side, I'm feeling stronger and fitter than I ever have. Weight is lowest it has been probably since I was a teenager, and I fit in 32" trousers for the first time in decades I'm alternating days between turbo sessions and strength/core sessions at the moment - usually 6 days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Mainly process goals for me, and a focus on Gravel.
    • Stick to the TrainerRoad Plan, hitting at least the 3 key workouts a week and taking rest days.
    • Nutrition - Fuel my workouts/ spins, recovery, and continue to tweak my overall diet. Mainly to include more carbs, and less empty/ poor calories.
    • Sleep - Give myself a chance of 8 hours a night.
    • My A Events - Dirty Reiver 200km (make cut off’s, and complete), Lakelander Gravel Grinder (to beat last years time). There will be other, but these are my target events that my TrainerRoad plan is built around. Others on the calendar already are the Dying Cow, Reservoir Dog, Midland 300, Long Heron, The 3G's gravel grinder.

Yearly km targets aren't really on my radar, with the inevitable slower pace of gravel spins, whilst my actual outside riding window will be the same! I still plan to get my Gran Fondo badge per month though.
    • Mostly yes. Swapped a few workouts for Zwift classics workouts, trip up the Alpe last week instead of a threshold workout. But happy I have.
    • Nutrition was going well, slipped during the first few weeks of lockdown, getting back on track now. Plan was adjusted using TR Plan Builder, back in Base phase, so haven't been fuelling. Will pick that up when back in build.
    • Sleep - struggled during lockdown - work has been pretty stressful and eating too late (see nutrition). Getting back on track.
    • Dirty Reiver re-scheduled for September. Didn't take the refund, and that's what I have as my "A" event in plan builder.

April was my first fondo badge of the year! Stuck to Gravel right up to lockdown. Quite enjoying my weekend zwifting. Uber Pretzel on Sunday hopefully, with Zwift Team Ireland!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I had goals of doing c. 8000km this year. At about 3000 km. I'd say 90% of that is on the turbo. Jan/Feb I was following a Zwift plan. Didnt want to commit to another one. Should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Had planned on 12k for the year - at just over 3k now and getting out to the Phoenix Park most mornings but its hard work doing long spins in short circles.

Will be happy to get back out on Lake Drive\Sally Gap at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dahat wrote: »
    No racing to date means most goals out the window.

New goals are

Win a Zwift B race
    Drop to 90kg
    Cycle with a buddy overanh hills in the South East.
    Keep focused & maintain progress on the bike.

Do some painting in the house or she will divorce me and / or sell the bikes!

B race won, target complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Had planned the following:

Lose a stone - hovering at no change.
    Orwell Randonee - borderline on the postponed date.
    Wicklow200 - can't make it, want my cash back.
    Top five in a A4 club race - all cancelled, really doubtful (doubtful anyways tpbh).
    Twentyfour12 - still on, be stunned if it goes ahead and don't want to go to the UK.
    Attend 75% of the MTB summer club league races - cancelled.

In some ways a disaster, but I have discovered Zwift which means I can spend longer than 45 mins on a turbo.

Have built a proper little bike for the eldest and she is flying (she's missed out as she couldn't wait to race U14, she had even been to spin class with me over winter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Out of curiosity what was your FTP pre structured training?

I'm not sure because I didn't do a test last year but based on my best numbers I would say it was somewhere around 3.8 - 3.9W/kg / approx 300W last September.

My most recent indoor test came out at 4.3W/kg / 340W. I'm about 78kg. About a 13% increase.

There were improvements across the board, including 1 minute & 5 minute power on around 5 hours training per week from Nov - Feb with a few weeks off in between. I say structured training but actually I pretty much just did sweet spot training non-stop. I should've really followed one of the plans.
    Eh, do people actually do this?
    (Or are you a lady that had let herself go?)

Don't knock it til you've tried it! But seriously, don't bother, not worth it... :D

Advertisement