Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Church, Mass Attendance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Would you gents or any other believers have any thoughts on why your supreme being allowed this Covid 19 crisis to happen?

Or why childhood cancer exists?

Or why mental health conditions leading to suicide exist?

Are you familiar with evolution?

Covid 19 - Evolution

Cancer - Evolution

Mental health - Evolution

Suicide - Entirely the choice of the individual who chooses to take their own life.

I don’t pretend to know the mind of God, so I can’t answer for him either, but there’s no conflict there between belief in God, and scientific inquiry. You’re basically attempting to set up a false dichotomy.

Or is it Creationists you were thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

So no answers to the actual question then?

For the record, I don't hate Catholics. I didn't suggest that religious people are more likely to commit suicide or have mental health conditions.

I just asked about why an all-powerful, supposedly loving supreme being would allow childhood cancer to exist.

It's an utterly infantile question to ask.

Catholicism, like all religions, is an ideology....just because us Irish decided to drown ourselves in it doesn't make it anything more than an ideology.

I'm sure it brings peace of mind in difficult times...what is so wrong with that...it is also a religion rooted in Self Discipline, Personal Responsibility and Self Sacrafice...those ideals aren't everyone's cup of tea but as long as they are not allowed to influence our laws or interfere with our childrens education then what of it!!!

We are surrounded by other ideologies today, and it seems, we are gorging on them again.

I do find it interesting that you would bring mental health issues and suicide into the discussion though, seeing as we are now taking anti depressants in huge numbers and dealing with one of the most severe mental health crisis in Europe...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-has-one-of-the-highest-rates-of-mental-health-illness-in-europe-report-finds-1.3707073

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2019/0218/1031271-massive-rise-antidepressant-prescribing/

If we didn't allow Bishops and Priests the power we allowed them maybe we wouldn't have ditched the religion as quickly as we did...maybe we wouldn't have all those serious issues we have today.

Maybe the problem wasn't the religion, maybe it was us Irish people...did you ever stop to think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Catholicism, like all religions, is an ideology....just because us Irish decided to drown ourselves in it doesn't make it anything more than an ideology.

I'm sure it brings peace of mind in difficult times...what is so wrong with that...it is also a religion rooted in Self Discipline, Personal Responsibility and Self Sacrafice...those ideals aren't everyone's cup of tea but as long as they are not allowed to influence our laws or interfere with our childrens education then what of it!!!

We are surrounded by other ideologies today, and it seems, we are gorging on them again.

I do find it interesting that you would bring mental health issues and suicide into the discussion though, seeing as we are now taking anti depressants in huge numbers and dealing with one of the most severe mental health crisis in Europe...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-has-one-of-the-highest-rates-of-mental-health-illness-in-europe-report-finds-1.3707073

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2019/0218/1031271-massive-rise-antidepressant-prescribing/

If we didn't allow Bishops and Priests the power we allowed them maybe we wouldn't have ditched the religion as quickly as we did...maybe we wouldn't have all those serious issues we have today.

Maybe the problem wasn't the religion, maybe it was us Irish people...did you ever stop to think that?

Well said. The Faith is always strongest when times are hard and hard times are coming. In the meantime people will continue to worship at the altar of vapid philosophies like consumerism and celebrity culture. Just don’t expect your children to thank you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are you familiar with evolution?

Covid 19 - Evolution

Cancer - Evolution

Mental health - Evolution

Suicide - Entirely the choice of the individual who chooses to take their own life.

I don’t pretend to know the mind of God, so I can’t answer for him either, but there’s no conflict there between belief in God, and scientific inquiry. You’re basically attempting to set up a false dichotomy.

Or is it Creationists you were thinking of?

Isn't Creationism the whole basis of Christianity?

Are you suggesting that your supreme being didn't know about evolution when he or she created the universe that was going on to evolve? Or just didn't care enough about the world to have created one that didn't include childhood cancer?
    pearcider wrote: »
    Well said. The Faith is always strongest when times are hard and hard times are coming. In the meantime people will continue to worship at the altar of vapid philosophies like consumerism and celebrity culture. Just don’t expect your children to thank you for it.
    There are alternatives to Christianity that don't involve consumerism and celebrity culture.

So definitely no answer to the question about what your supreme being was thinking or planning when he created a world that includes childhood cancer?

[

So definitely no answer to the question about what your supreme being was thinking or planning when he created a world that includes childhood cancer?[/QUOTE]

You never specified which one of the 100 genders the child was....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Are people really still banging the "dont believe in God because bad things happen" drum? Wow.

I remember a friend of mine sending me on the video of Gaybo's interview with Fry. The headline on the piece was about Fry coming out with "the question that nobody can answer". I thought it was going to be something new and profound, instead it was something a 6 year old would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

keano_afc wrote: »
    Are people really still banging the "dont believe in God because bad things happen" drum? Wow.

I remember a friend of mine sending me on the video of Gaybo's interview with Fry. The headline on the piece was about Fry coming out with "the question that nobody can answer". I thought it was going to be something new and profound, instead it was something a 6 year old would say.
    People have been asking that question since at least 300 B.C. They'll keep asking until you acknowledge that the all-powerful, all-knowing, and benevolent god such as the modern Catholic god is a contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I cant remember the last wedding, christening, communion where the people involved actually wanted to be there. it was jut expected so they went through the motions

I'd go to a wedding if it was a bit of craic, under duress if it was a relative. The other two i couldn't give a shiny shyte about. Couldn't wait to get away from my own communion and confirmation. It was meaningless twaddle from my pov, the money was welcome though.

Isn't Creationism the whole basis of Christianity?

No, it’s not. There’s a lot more to Christianity than simply Creationism, but I think you’re well aware I was referring to a specific denomination of Christianity -

The term creationism most often refers to belief in special creation; the claim that the universe and lifeforms were created as they exist today by divine action, and that the only true explanations are those which are compatible with a Christian fundamentalist literal interpretation of the creation myths found in the Bible's Genesis creation narrative. Since the 1970s, the commonest form of this has been Young Earth Creationism which posits special creation of the universe and lifeforms within the last 10,000 years on the basis of Flood geology, and promotes pseudoscientific creation science. From the 18th century onward, Old Earth Creationism accepted geological time harmonized with Genesis through gap or day-age theory, while supporting anti-evolution. Modern old-Earth creationists support progressive creationism and continue to reject evolutionary explanations. Following political controversy, creation science was reformulated as intelligent design and neo-creationism.

Mainline Protestants and the Catholic Church reconcile modern science with their faith in Creation through forms of theistic evolution which hold that God purposefully created through the laws of nature, and accept evolution. Some groups call their belief evolutionary creationism.

Creationism

Are you suggesting that your supreme being didn't know about evolution when he or she created the universe that was going on to evolve? Or just didn't care enough about the world to have created one that didn't include childhood cancer?

Either you didn’t read what I wrote, or you have difficulty with the concept when someone says -

You’re the only person who’s making suggestions as to God’s motivations when I gave you a straight answer already - I don’t know what the fcuk he was thinking! I don’t know what the fcuk he was thinking that he created a world filled with arseholes either, but here we are - evolution baby!

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Corinthians 2:11

You have a beef with God or something, talk to Job, he was another miserable wanker, same vein as Fry who thinks he’s a fierce clever bastard altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is there really an Interesting discussion to be had? Is seems pretty clear cut. People are Increasingly choosing to not be Catholics. The religion has a strong foothold from early indoctrination but even that isn't enough to stop it's gate receipts falling.

What more is there to say?

What people find interesting is subjective. I wouldn't assume because I find something not interesting that no one else does.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    People have been asking that question since at least 300 B.C. They'll keep asking until you acknowledge that the all-powerful, all-knowing, and benevolent god such as the modern Catholic god is a contradiction.

They’d be continuing to show their own ignorance if that is what they actually believe.

[

So definitely no answer to the question about what your supreme being was thinking or planning when he created a world that includes childhood cancer?

You never specified which one of the 100 genders the child was....[/quote]

In the case closest to me, it was a male child.

Now, any answer to the question?

keano_afc wrote: »

So the answer for the six year old is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It depends on what you mean by "completely free".

I would consider ireland free from the Catholics when, for example, they don't automatically get a seat in the debates on laws of the land. They had absolutely no reason to get a seat on TV debates about abortion or gay marriage.

The clear separation of state and religion is a reasonable expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So the answer for the six year old is?

God works in mysterious ways.

And then when the doctors cure the child.

Thanks be to god.

Simples!

No, it’s not. There’s a lot more to Christianity than simply Creationism, but I think you’re well aware I was referring to a specific denomination of Christianity -

The term creationism most often refers to belief in special creation; the claim that the universe and lifeforms were created as they exist today by divine action, and that the only true explanations are those which are compatible with a Christian fundamentalist literal interpretation of the creation myths found in the Bible's Genesis creation narrative. Since the 1970s, the commonest form of this has been Young Earth Creationism which posits special creation of the universe and lifeforms within the last 10,000 years on the basis of Flood geology, and promotes pseudoscientific creation science. From the 18th century onward, Old Earth Creationism accepted geological time harmonized with Genesis through gap or day-age theory, while supporting anti-evolution. Modern old-Earth creationists support progressive creationism and continue to reject evolutionary explanations. Following political controversy, creation science was reformulated as intelligent design and neo-creationism.

Mainline Protestants and the Catholic Church reconcile modern science with their faith in Creation through forms of theistic evolution which hold that God purposefully created through the laws of nature, and accept evolution. Some groups call their belief evolutionary creationism.

Creationism

Either you didn’t read what I wrote, or you have difficulty with the concept when someone says -

You’re the only person who’s making suggestions as to God’s motivations when I gave you a straight answer already - I don’t know what the fcuk he was thinking! I don’t know what the fcuk he was thinking that he created a world filled with arseholes either, but here we are - evolution baby!

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Corinthians 2:11

You have a beef with God or something, talk to Job, he was another miserable wanker, same vein as Fry who thinks he’s a fierce clever bastard altogether.

OK, so let me put it another way so

Do you see any conflict between a god that supposedly loves us, and a god that creates a world that includes (or will evolve to include) childhood cancer?

God works in mysterious ways.

And then when the doctors cure the child.

Thanks be to god.

Simples!

And when the doctors don't cure the child - so the parents watch their child dying in front of their eyes for months or maybe years?

OK, so let me put it another way so

Do you see any conflict between a god that supposedly loves us, and a god that creates a world that includes (or will evolve to include) childhood cancer?

This is the third time now you’ve tried to phrase the same question in different ways. My answer will be the same no matter how many times or how many ways you attempt to phrase the question to get the answer you really want.

The answer is no, I don’t see any contradiction there. I completely get that you see a contradiction, but I don’t. In a similar way, I might regard someone simply as an imbecilic arsehole, whereas you might regard them as a pillar of intellectual rigour. Different people see different things, differently. A child could grasp the concept you appear to be struggling with as an adult.

This is the third time now you’ve tried to phrase the same question in different ways. My answer will be the same no matter how many times or how many ways you attempt to phrase the question to get the answer you really want.

The answer is no, I don’t see any contradiction there. I completely get that you see a contradiction, but I don’t. In a similar way, I might regard someone simply as an imbecilic arsehole, whereas you might regard them as a pillar of intellectual rigour. Different people see different things, differently. A child could grasp the concept you appear to be struggling with as an adult.

So no conflict between unending love and causing your child to die in agony over months or years?

With friends like that...

And when the doctors don't cure the child - so the parents watch their child dying in front of their eyes for months or maybe years?

According to my parents it was part of Gods plan. They derived comfort from that belief. At the time my immediate thought was “that’s one shìtty plan!”, but in later years I came to understand what it meant to them to believe that God had a plan - because the alternative was that God didn’t have a plan, shìt just happens, like evolution, evolution doesn’t have a plan. I’m not a believer in the idea of an interventionist God myself tbh.

Actually reminds me of one of my favourite songs -

• Advertisement

So no conflict between unending love and causing your child to die in agony over months or years?

With friends like that...

Surely you mean with parents like that? And again there we would disagree, because again, I don’t see any conflict, where you do, based on your own simplification of reality. That’s what’s commonly known as a loaded question - you’re asking a question when you’ve already determined that your answer is objectively the correct one, you’ve already determined there is a contradiction there, and for anyone to say there’s not, is unacceptable to you.

You never specified which one of the 100 genders the child was....

In the case closest to me, it was a male child.

Now, any answer to the question?[/QUOTE]

The reason I asked a stupid (ideology related) inane question was because you've asked a stupid (ideology related) inane question.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Genuinely amusing to watch the frothing anti-Catholics engage in one of few pastimes that would not get them hauled before their own PC councils. The instinct of the chattering class always seems to blame someone, currently the Church and once the Brits. Given if not for the former providing some form of health instruction after independence, a lot more people would have need to emigrate and we in our own times have brought the country to a halt over a disease that would have been barely noticeably with all the others in ages past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Manach wrote: »
    Genuinely amusing to watch the frothing anti-Catholics engage in one of few pastimes that would not get them hauled before their own PC councils. The instinct of the chattering class always seems to blame someone, currently the Church and once the Brits. Given if not for the former providing some form of health instruction after independence, a lot more people would have need to emigrate and we in our own times have brought the country to a halt over a disease that would have been barely noticeably with all the others in ages past.

Anti religious are the same all over. They want to ridicule the notion of faith, sin and redemption so they can justify their sin with no guilt. “Do what thou wilt” is their creed. I doubt they will scoff so vigorously when the mystery of faith draws close to them on their deathbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Anti religious are the same all over. They want to ridicule the notion of faith, sin and redemption so they can justify their sin with no guilt. “Do what thou wilt” is their creed. I doubt they will scoff so vigorously when the mystery of faith draws close to them on their deathbed.

Which god or goddess should I chose on my deathbed? Now I'll have something else to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

if you did understand then perhaps you can clarify as to what personal attacs of mine you were referring to?

I have little interest in this topic but you made a personal attack on me by saying i am "ignorant"

I said i have no interest in talking to you and i don't, i will allow you to
    justify this comment if you think you can?

I can check back the # of comment if you cannot remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Interesting that you actually take note of how often your priest changes his car, and for what model. Still the valley of the squinting windows.

He lived 200 metres from me and i knew him well, he gone from here about 2 years,

I did not say the model i said make as i not really into this.

"valley of the squinting windows" are you talking about Leo?
    That's the last time i heard this comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Let's make sure our posts are civil and not thinly veiled insinuations.

At the same time let's remember this is AH and not CA. Keep it lighthearted folks.

The reason I asked a stupid (ideology related) inane question was because you've asked a stupid (ideology related) inane question.

Strange though how you're unable to answer the inane question?

• Advertisement

Strange though how no-one on this thread has been pushing that particular creed?

Advertisement