Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catholic Church, Mass Attendance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

pearcider wrote: »
    If your friends didn’t want to be there then why go. It would be more accurate to say you associate with hypocrites then. My apologies.

social expectations. that has been explained many times already on the thread. try to keep up. I admit that i like your christian attitude to other posters. turn the other cheek and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If your friends didn’t want to be there then why go. It would be more accurate to say you associate with hypocrites then. My apologies.
    Plenty of people attend those ceremonies for the benefit of their relatives and friends. Certainly, I have plenty of friends who find the religious ceremonies tedious but don't want to cause offence, and they've all been far more delicate about it than some religious folks I've known to spend a civil wedding bitching about it not being a real wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

The way that I think that this whole religion/atheism/agnosticism thing has, does and will, work is like this:

1. A certain religion gets to be the big cheese in a particular country and over time gets adopted by the majority and develops its institutions and indeed fashions society in its image.

2. Many become true believers but the majority of church goers are either fairly mindless sheeple and follow anything that has become the established dogma or else people with no particular views who go along with the majority anyway for a quiet life.

3. Only a small number of people initially are independent-thinking enough to realise that religion is a recurring human invention and are strong enough to openly call it that.

4, Over time greater education swells the number of these people and eventually the numbers that are openly agnostic/atheist swell

5. Eventually the sheeple element see the trend and they also declare they are committed atheists and are among the most enthusiastic in saying stupid or insulting stuff about religious people. The previously dominant religion wanes.

6. Some new religion or religion equivalent comes along, rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

social expectations. that has been explained many times already on the thread. try to keep up. I admit that i like your christian attitude to other posters. turn the other cheek and all that.

Hypocrisy to me. Just go to the afters rather than moan about it.

a supporter of the catholic church complaining about hypocrisy. my irony meter has just exploded

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    Plenty of people attend those ceremonies for the benefit of their relatives and friends. Certainly, I have plenty of friends who find the religious ceremonies tedious but don't want to cause offence, and they've all been far more delicate about it than some religious folks I've known to spend a civil wedding bitching about it not being a real wedding.

You hang around with clowns too then.

a supporter of the catholic church complaining about hypocrisy. my irony meter has just exploded

That’s a witty comment. You must be a real laugh at weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

In my experience people who hold strong religious views, and I make the distinction between religious views and Christian views, are often intolerant of people who hold opposing views.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    In my experience people who hold strong religious views, and I make the distinction between religious views and Christian views, are often intolerant of people who hold opposing views.

aint that the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That would be making a stand on someone else's wedding and could be out of order.

It's much simpler to just go along with the wishes of the person who invites you to their wedding. I wouldn't be upset if someone declined an invitation to my wedding but I know other people can be more sensitive about these things.

It's what most people, who go and sit through the chants and spells, do. A lot of the time people put on entertainment (music for example) during the service to break up the boredom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Certain irony there considering thread is hardly a shining example of tolerance to religious views that people don't agree with.

Its really got nothing to do with mass attendance, its just another rant about the RC and a bunch of personal attacks.

But its after hours so

After hours is the place to come on boards where general discussion can be light-hearted. The aim here is to have a bit of a laugh and not to piss anybody off while doing so.

This forum has been variously described as a refuge for idiots, the dregs of boards.ie, ...

... who really cares. No idea why people get so worked up. This forum is meant to be a bit of laugh.

beauf wrote: »
    Certain irony there considering thread is hardly a shining example of tolerance to religious views that people don't agree with.

Its really got nothing to do with mass attendance, its just another rant about the RC and a bunch of personal attacks.

But its after hours so

... who really cares. No idea why people get so worked up. This forum is meant to be a bit of laugh.

the post you quoted was posted in response to personal comments made by church supporters. if you are not religious you are either shallow or a hypocrite. tolerance indeed.

But its after hours so

... .

The biggest irony is that those whose religion supposedly teaches them to be tolerant of others no matter how intolerant those others are of them, have proven to be the most intolerant.
    Any thread about Mass attendance is bound, by natural progression, to explore reasons why that might be changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I attend mass every week with my family and it doesn’t do me any harm , I may not be listening to the gospel or sermon word for word but 40 minutes in my local church gives me a bit of mindfulness and get to say hello to some neighbours etc .
    Or the lockdown will make people realise that they maybe need to reassess things and look at things like more prayer and returning to mass etc.

Would you gents or any other believers have any thoughts on why your supreme being allowed this Covid 19 crisis to happen?

Or why childhood cancer exists?

Or why mental health conditions leading to suicide exist?

the post you quoted was posted in response to personal comments made by church supporters. if you are not religious you are either shallow or a hypocrite. tolerance indeed.

Straight to the personal attack nice. :D (... if I'm not religious)

I'm not on either side. Its just an observation, that both sides are doing exactly what they are accusing the other side of doing. But can't see thats what they are doing. Funny. Its like the Apple vs Microsoft arguments, cyclists vs Motorists. Round and round.
    The biggest irony is that those whose religion supposedly teaches them to be tolerant of others no matter how intolerant those others are of them, have proven to be the most intolerant.
    Any thread about Mass attendance is bound, by natural progression, to explore reasons why that might be changing.

Lots of Irony on both sides. Looking from the outside in on these rants.

There's a pattern to these threads. Some vague title, thats almost never mentioned in the thread that follows. But then thats par for the course for after hours. You don't have serious threads in this forum. That's the point of it.

Mass attendance has been declining for a very long time, its been in decline for over half a century in Ireland. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Would you gents or any other believers have any thoughts on why your supreme being allowed this Covid 19 crisis to happen?

Profound stuff there....

Perhaps the comfort people's faith in religion allows them deal with personal tragedy in their own dignified way, the illness of a child is a very tough burden.

Can you show me evidence that religious people are more likely to commit suicide or have mental health conditions please.

you completely misunderstand. shallow and/or hypocrites is how non-religious people were described by one of the religious people posting earlier today.

I'm not on either side. Its just an observation, that both sides are doing exactly what they are accusing the other side of doing. But can't see thats what they are doing. Funny. Its like the Apple vs Microsoft arguments, cyclists vs Motorists. Round and round.

Lots of Irony on both sides. Looking from the outside in on these rants.

There's a pattern to these threads. Some vague title, thats almost never mentioned in the thread that follows. But then thats par for the course for after hours. You don't have serious threads in this forum. That's the point of it.

Mass attendance has been declining for a very long time, its been in decline for over half a century in Ireland. Get over it.

"Get over it" is probably the most dismissive and insulting throwaway remark in the English language today. If it's OK with you I'll choose when and how I'll "Get over it", I won't need nor take direction from anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Why are you worried about other people going to church ?
    You hate Catholics that’s fine , go do what you want to do .lots of people get comfort from daily life , illness , death by saying a few prayers , no one asking you to do anything !

You hate Catholics that’s fine , go do what you want to do .lots of people get comfort from daily life , illness , death by saying a few prayers , no one asking you to do anything !

Where did you get the idea that the poster hates Catholics?

• Advertisement

It's already gone, I haven't known of anyone going to mass in probably 20 years, and that would have been my Grandmother.
    It usually takes a while for rural Ireland to catch up on these things, but you'll see the light eventually.

On the very rare occasions I've been near a mass, those in rural areas, were way ahead in terms of decline than those I've seen in Dublin. (I'm excluding weddings, funerals etc.)

you completely misunderstand. shallow and/or hypocrites is how non-religious people were described by one of the religious people posting earlier today.

I included them in what I said.

There is an interesting discussion to be had about the decline on the RC and in Ireland. But its not possible to have it on Boards, never mind after hours.

And yet the churches are still full of baptisms, 1st communions, confirmations and marriage and a good solid chunk of those people don't even believe but attend just because it's the done thing or because it gets their kids into the 'right' school.

Catholicism is a long way off dying although it's taken a good hit. Will be at least another couple of generations for Ireland to be solidly free of the nonsense.

It will never be "free" it will fall to a level like it is in England or similar.

But its interesting how the hierarchy of the church is so out of touch, so dated in its mindset, so ingrained and so obsolete that every decision it makes only accelerates its decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

This thread is about Catholicism. It's called mass, not church. Someone's been reading too many US religious discussions.

There is an interesting discussion to be had about the decline on the RC and in Ireland. But its not possible to have it on Boards, never mind after hours.

if you did understand then perhaps you can clarify as to what personal attacs of mine you were referring to?

mikhail wrote: »
    This thread is about Catholicism. It's called mass, not church. Someone's been reading too many US religious discussions.

or maybe they are *makes sign of the cross* protestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Your point about the big day is correct, i do not really blame the church as that's us as a people and has become.
    To me the church should be more modest, the last local PP where i live changed his car every two years which is fine, it was merc or high end bmw.
    I do not think the church will die but the big weddings and funerals will be trimmed i think.

Interesting that you actually take note of how often your priest changes his car, and for what model. Still the valley of the squinting windows.

It will never be "free" it will fall to a level like it is in England or similar.

But its interesting how the hierarchy of the church is so out of touch, so dated in its mindset, so ingrained and so obsolete that every decision it makes only accelerates its decline.

It depends on what you mean by "completely free".

I would consider ireland free from the Catholics when, for example, they don't automatically get a seat in the debates on laws of the land. They had absolutely no reason to get a seat on TV debates about abortion or gay marriage.

Anyone who is part of the Catholic club knows they're against abortions an gay rights. They have absolutely no place trying to tell the nation what laws it can have. Those positions of privilege are he kind of thing the Catholics take for granted and I'm sure they will see it as an attack when they aren't invited to give their corporate line on decisions in the future.

Is there really an Interesting discussion to be had? Is seems pretty clear cut. People are Increasingly choosing to not be Catholics. The religion has a strong foothold from early indoctrination but even that isn't enough to stop it's gate receipts falling.

What more is there to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Profound stuff there....

Perhaps the comfort people's faith in religion allows them deal with personal tragedy in their own dignified way, the illness of a child is a very tough burden.

Can you show me evidence that religious people are more likely to commit suicide or have mental health conditions please.

So no answers to the actual question then?

For the record, I don't hate Catholics. I didn't suggest that religious people are more likely to commit suicide or have mental health conditions.

I just asked about why an all-powerful, supposedly loving supreme being would allow childhood cancer to exist.

Advertisement