Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide: Greatest Sitcom Character (US & Canada)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I am a huge Friends fine, so I will predictably vote for Ms Chanandler Bong!!

His comic timing is great, and although his character didn't change much through the seasons, he had the best one liners of all the characters!

Plus he could have been part of Chandler and Janice!!! I'm probably in the minority here but I like Janice, she's so funny!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Chandler.

Friends is just an iconic show, and the quintessential sitcom.

A fitting finale would be two of the beloved 6 facing off, though my personal fave Ross got dumped out in round 1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I really like miss Chanandler Bong but Gotta go For Ron .

his motto of only rich woman on diets drink clear alcohol are words to live by.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Chandler for his clearly superior mustache

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,547 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Ron! Ron and Nick Offerman are pretty similar. Nick does a fantastic job as the stone faced meat loving Ron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

Niles, because he was such a perfect foil to his brother and father and his romance with Daphne was the most mismatched couple ever

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ron, because he's iconic, and he never went downhill the way Muriel did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Tough one but I'm going to go Ron. In these uncertain times I have started to look at my survival skills and I think there is a lot more to be learned from Ron than Chandler.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

latest?cb=20171206162519

I don't see no Bing Pyramid of Greatness,

Ron for the win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

That has been my desktop in work for the last couple of years eldamo

abff wrote: »
    Niles, because he was such a perfect foil to his brother and father and his romance with Daphne was the most mismatched couple ever

2 things,

1: What?
    2: Have you ever seen Christina Hendricks now ex husband?

CandyBar? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Your second finalist by a very close 8-7 vote is Ron Swanson, and we must say one last farewell to Chandler Muriel Bing

giphy.gif

Don't. Go. Anywhere.
    The Grand Final is coming up literally any second now!

The One With The Finale

Most votes by 8pm is the overall winner and will be crowned by the good people of Boards as The Greatest Sitcom Character (of North America anyway)
    Don't forget to give a reason or your vote won't count! Stronger the reason the better!

U7QVpP5l.jpg

Defeated Previously
    Round 1: Captain Raymond Holt (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
    Round 2: Claire Dunphy (Modern Family)
    Round 3: Jack Donaghy (30 Rock)
    Round 4: Daphne Moon (Frasier)
    Quarter Final: Dr Perry Cox (Scrubs)
    Semi-Final: Niles Crane (Frasier)

Rachel Karen Green (Friends)

vs

Ron Ulysses Swanson (Parks & Recreation)

Defeated Previously
    Round 1: The Janitor (Scrubs)
    Round 2: Rosa Diaz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
    Round 3: Michael Scott (The Office)
    Round 4: Dwight Schrute (The Office)
    Quarter Final: Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce (M*A*S*H)
    Semi Final: Chandler Bing (Friends)

HpS8fY9l.jpg

Remember to give a Reason for your vote. Reasons to be taken in to consideration in the event of a tie-break.
    Most Votes by 8pm wins

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BigBlackDog

Ron.
    Lowes Clerk: “Hi there, is there a project your workin' on?” Ron Swanson: “I know more than you."
    Gets me everytime.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Defeated Previously
    Round 1: Captain Raymond Holt (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
    Round 2: Clair Dunphy (Modern Family)
    Round 3: Jack Donaghy (30 Rock)
    Round 4: Daphne Moon (Frasier)
    Quarter Final: Dr Perry Cox (Scrubs)
    Semi-Final: Niles Crane (Frasier)

Rachel Karen Green (Friends)

vs

Ron Ulysses Swanson (Parks & Recreation)

Defeated Previously
    Round 1: The Janitor (Scrubs)
    Round 2: Rosa Diaz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
    Round 3: Michael Scott (The Office)
    Round 4: Dwight Schrute (The Office)
    Quarter Final: Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce (M*A*S*H)
    Semi Final: Chandler Bing (Friends)

Whoever wins, it'll be a very worthy winner. They both defeated some serious heavyweights on the way here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Rachel, she is cute, caring and can sail.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

Ron, one of my favourite characters of all time, embodiment of a man’s man!

Took down some big guns on the way to the final, Rachel picked up a lot of hotness votes along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Ron, tough choice both are worthy winners but Ron is a one of a kind character and i think we should all live our lives the way ron would, i didn't expect him to get to the final but i'm delighted he did. This has been really fun so thank to Also Starring LeVar Burton for doing it

i produced the pyramid too soon

Ron Swanson, the peoples champion.

god I had some fun reading that pyramid

maybe not as much fun as watching the jennifer aniston in horrible bosses and we're the whatevers gifs, but damnit man, this is about the sitcoms

Ron Swanson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Voting Rachel, 90s icon.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rachel.

Better character, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I vote Rachel Karen Green

Friends was iconic and her and her hair contributed to that, she deserves to win also as Brad Pitt gave her a penis

Also just a thanks to LeVar for running this comp. Who knew sitcoms would bring out this level of divide... mainly situated around Frasier :P (Well and Vales utter contempt for The Office)

Glad Ron made the final; I would have opted for him over Chandler to avoid an all Friends finale, though it would have been a close call.

Very tough final; both fantastic characters. But while Ron arguably has more laugh-out-loud lines, I'm gonna vote for Rachel for pretty much the same reasons I used in the semi-final:

Rachel evolves throughout Friends, whereas the rest of the characters....unevolve? (devolve?)

Monica - becomes unbearably loud, shrill and neurotic
    Phoebe - becomes bitchy, self-absorbed, not someone anyone would want to be friends with
    Joey - literal man child whose selfishness was overindulged, also kind of a creep with women
    Ross - petty jealousy and borderline psychopath, although somewhat redeemed by the end of the show
    Chandler - more consistent than the other four but he was at his best playing off the rest and mocking them, so when they went downhill he also suffered as a result.

Rachel would actually be a worthy winner of the whole competition, imo.

Jennifer Aniston did a great job with this character for ten seasons. Not only was her comic timing impeccable but she also showed real emotional depth; both her and David Schwimmer were fantastic in the Season Three episodes where they break up.

Even when the show in general was going downhill Rachel was still funny, and crucially was believable as a character (unlike the others who descended into caricatures).

So yeah, voting Rachel Green.

Many thanks LeVar for running; a lot of work put in, hope you've enjoyed it as much as we have. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I love Friends but I can't in good conscience consider Rachel the best sitcom character ever. I can't. Ross, Chandler, Eddie the Housemate, Janice, Gunther I'd even put ahead of her! Jennifer Aniston's characters in her later feature films were a lot better actually I think.

I think I'll regretfully abstain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

A vote for Rachel for me.
    Although her character could be annoying at times, there were lots and lots of great moments. And not just the funny ones, but also when things were getting more serious, like the first break up with Ross or when she was pregnant.
    And Jennifer Aniston did so many things with this role. She could be funny, hysterical, dramatic, and gave her role a lot of depth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ron is the greatest sitcom character ever made, I've been told the writers must have known me as the likeness(bar the tache) is too similar to be a coincidence, so that's why he gets my vote!

Sawduck wrote: »
    This has been really fun so thank to Also Starring LeVar Burton for doing it
    Necro wrote: »
    Also just a thanks to LeVar for running this comp. Who knew sitcoms would bring out this level of divide... mainly situated around Frasier :P (Well and Vales utter contempt for The Office)
    Many thanks LeVar for running; a lot of work put in, hope you've enjoyed it as much as we have. :)

Cheers gang.

Yes, I've enjoyed hosting this one a lot. It's fun being on the other side of things for a change, and its been nice to have something different to do while stuck in the house anyway.

A couple of people have asked me over the week who my favourite characters are, so shortly after I've announced the winner this evening, I'm going to give a run down of who my own favourite characters from this competition are, and more importantly why I rate them so highly, so if anyone is interested in hearing my own meandering and irrelevant thoughts, keep an eye out for that, once the tournament is over. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

If it was Jennifer Aniston v Nick Offerman I would vote Jennifer as she is a fine actress and continues to do great work. However she was prob only my 4th favorite friend. Therefore my final vote goes to the man with the tashe Mr. Ronald Ulysses Swanson, I don't think we've ever had anything quiet like him.

Thanks a mill Also Starring LeVar Burton for organising all this. It's the most fun I've ever had on Boards.

Advertisement