Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide: Greatest Sitcom Character (US & Canada)

• 23-04-2020 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Time for an Epic (and by epic I mean lengthy) Tournament to find out who is the Greatest Sitcom Character from a US or Canadian show

If this one goes well, maybe I (or someone else) will do a tournament in the future for this side of the pond, but for now we're just focusing on our North American cousins

Also worth noting, that Animated Shows won't be included in this tournament its just live-action Comedies in contention for the prize, with a puppet or two thrown in the mix for good measure... ;)

bjM1BVil.jpg

How It Will Work
    120 Characters have already been handpicked by me and are waiting patiently in the wings to go head-to-head in a series of bouts

There will be a chance towards the end of Round 1 for you at home to have your say and nominate a wildcard, but more on that when its time, the lines are not open yet for those PMs, so relax. For now, just enjoy proceedings, there's a vast array of characters in the mix, so your favourite is quite likely already included

I set a maximum of 3 characters from any one show while selecting the contenders to avoid some of the more popular ensemble sitcoms having a complete monopoly on proceedings, but fear not as this rule will not apply when it comes time to submit your wildcard nominee

Match 1-60 will be one on ones between the pre-selected characters, the draws of which have been decided by a random number generator
    Match 61-63 will provide three runners up from the previous rounds a 1 in 20 chance to get back in the game and advance to Round 2
    Match 64 will determine the People's Choice Wildcard in a Battle Royale, but I'll explain more when we get closer to that, you don't need to do anything for now
    Round 2 Onwards will be straightforward head-to-head knockout just as with any other tournament, no more chances to remain in the game, and no more wildcards after Round 1

Round 1 Rules
    - First Character in each match to reach 4 votes progresses
    - If neither Character reaches 4 votes within 45 minutes, whoever has the most votes at that time is the winner of that match
    - All votes must have reasons to be valid
    - Any ties will be broken by myself
    - Last 4 matches will work slightly differently, but will explain when we get to them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Match 1

Will the B*** from Apt 23 prevail or get a foot in the ass from everyone's favourite '70s Dad?

Chloe (Don't Trust The B**** In Apartment 23)
    Zz1gSJ9l.jpg

vs

Red Forman (That '70s Show)
    enZiLSkl.jpg

Remember to give a Reason for your vote. Any old reason at all will do.
    First to 4 votes wins or most votes after 45 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Vote for red from that 70s show as i don’t trust that b**** chloe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

And you start with a tough one...

Red because he reminds me of a Dad I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Jesus, good tussle right out of the blocks.

Going for Chloe, that show didn't get the run it deserved, while very good at its height, that 70s show ran itself into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Would have voted fred for Robocop, but chloe is hotter, so she gets my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Red Foreman. Classic Character.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Red for me, think he has a much better on screen presence than Chloe, who is decent but not at Reds level

Glad to see some love for Don't Trust the B**** in Apt 23 there, but Chloe had a tough competitor in Red Forman who wins the first match

Match 2

Is Reno 911!'s super slut too niche a character to be any match for the King of Queen's shouty senior citizen...

Arthur Spooner (The King of Queens)
    nuTmvR2l.jpg

vs

Deputy Clementine Johnson (Reno 911!)
    qxKENdEl.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I dunno if I should vote, I only actually know one of the characters and vaguely at that (I don't really like King of Queens).

Abstain for now anyways.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I woulda gone Red too.

Will go for King of Queens in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Arthur, far more familiar with him and he's a bit of a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Definitely Red. I lovely his attitude

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Not gonna be too strict on policing the reasons in this Round as there's so many Matches, but would be great to get some reasons all the same just for the sake of potential discussion and banter, if people possible can... ***cough***quickbeam***cough*** ;)

giphy.gif

I'm sh*te at giving reasons. You'll be tired of hearing it but the best I can come up with is "I prefer him".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not gonna be too strict on policing the reasons in this Round as there's so many Matches, but would be great to get some reasons all the same just for the sake of potential discussion and banter, if people possible can... ***cough***quickbeam***cough*** ;)

giphy.gif

NO COUGHING!!!!!! :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

quickbeam wrote: »
    I'm sh*te at giving reasons. You'll be tired of hearing it but the best I can come up with is "I prefer him".

...especially for someone I'm not *that* passionate about.

quickbeam wrote: »

giphy.gif

Arthur Spooner currently leads 2-0 against Deputy Clementine Johnson, but still just under 10 minutes to vote, before I call it. Can Johnson make a comeback...

This was a bit of a dud draw in fairness compared to some of the other heavy hitters in the comp, and especially so early on in the contest, but don't worry as there are many exciting match-ups coming up.

Feck it.

Vote for Clementine cos she's hotter.

And I haven't seen the show, which - like some of the B&W movies I've been watching - means I might be missing out on some classics ;)

Clementine because I remember her

• Advertisement

Well, well, well, a last minute show of support for Johnson leaves us with a 2-2 tie. I'm a big Wendi McLendon-Covey fan, so I'm breaking the tie and sending Deputy Clementine Johnson through to Round 2 in the hopes Reno 911! might find a fan base here in the meantime... :D

Match 3

Are you more a fan of the Bigmouthed Bada$$ Baseballer or Malcolm's Bumbling Breaking Bad Dad...

Kenny Powers (Eastbound & Down)
    R3PtdTNl.jpg

vs

Hal Wilkerson (Malcolm In The Middle)
    7UZ9Yjal.jpg

Hal. More iconic I think, particularly given he went on to become Walter White.

Hal because he could be a potential overall winner

Hal is amazing. Really made the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Hal is a legend. You have to respect a man who mitched off work every Friday for years :D

An expected victory there from Hal Wilkerson who knocks it out of the park to get a home run against Kenny Powers and moves on to the next round with ease

Match 4

The human embodiment of Grumpy Cat takes on the Bluth Matriarch here, both of whom are quite popular names when it comes to 21st Century Sitcom Characters, so who shall prevail...

Nick Miller (New Girl)
    rwmTKlDl.jpg

vs

Lucille Bluth (Arrested Development)
    Dnc4Hwbl.jpg

Lucile Bluth is funny. I hope there's some of her children featured in this too though.

I'm gonna vote for grumpy cat.... err I mean Nick Miller.

I'm not a big fan of Arrested Development mainly being my reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Ah has to be Lucille she's so funny her and the youngest son, the relationship is soooo messed up!

• Advertisement

rapul wrote: »
    Ah has to be Lucille she's so funny her and the youngest son, the relationship is soooo messed up!

Lucille Bluth. Any character from Arrested Development deserves to win their bracket

Advertisement