Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ungrateful or does he have a point?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hot takes incoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

No i don't give a fcuk about people in direct provision. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Close the door behind you. Bye bye.

Direct provision is inhumane & should be changed.
    But the whole system needs to be speeded up. No reason to have people here for years before a decision is made.
    Do it quickly.

LeYouth wrote: »
    No i don't give a fcuk about people in direct provision. Sorry

Wow.
    What a nice person you are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Thank this if you enjoy eating ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

bubblypop wrote: »
    But the whole system needs to be speeded up. No reason to have people here for years before a decision is made.
    Do it quickly.

Deport them all

Deport them all

Oh yeah? Who exactly would you deport?
    Everyone seeking asylum? What about refugees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

No ‘jog on’ option?

If these lads don’t like it then they shouldn’t have cherry picked Ireland as their destination choice.

We know that there aren’t direct flights from many of the source countries, we know Ireland isn’t the first EU state they set foot in. They choose to come to Ireland knowing that direct provision system is in place in Ireland.

Most are bogus anyway. Economic migrants to a country which now a massive deficit in employment opportunities.

Time we stopped being a soft touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Direct provision isn't perfect but the major issue imo is the length of time it takes to decide an application.

No doubt a minority of the people arriving here and claiming asylum are attracted by our welfare system ahead of our human rights record but I do think it's crazy how it can take a number of years to sort out an application.

It should be done in months rather than years and if you don't meet the criteria then immediately ship home. If you do qualify then a small short term support payment but you need to get into workplace or education inside 3 months. A short term Visa or something, reviewed in the short term.

There was a woman on Tommy Tiernan lately who was in the application system and she seemed a very capable lady but wouldn't/couldn't discuss her case he did miss one question I thought- why did she cross so many other countries including the UK, where she could have claimed asylum in order to claim it in Ireland.

A lot of people are coming from unimaginable situations but the minority are clogging the system for the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭Tork

What country does this dude come from? It isn't mentioned in the article. Would it be a country from which there are no direct flights to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

I currently work with a woman who became pregnant with and subsequently married and later divorced a Nigerian asylum seeker. His claim was that he was involuntarily born into a cult like situation who tortured him and would kill him if he was sent back. His proof was multiple scarring - which was actually ritual tribal scarring from his manhood ceremony. Our idiots bought it, he was given leave to remain, freely admitted to colleague that Ireland is a preferred destination due to the high and importantly - life long benefits here.

His friends fraudulently claimed they were from Ivory Coast where there was a war at the time and were given leave to remain.

A common practice is to sell prsi numbers if you leave Ireland, the buyer then works with one and claims with another.

Things have tightened up, true, but there are still a huge number of non-genuine asylum seekers in the system.

And - many countries have direct provision, Germany, Finland for starters.

What's so wrong about this is that chancers and downright fraudsters choke up the system for genuine refugees who truly need international protection.

Black South Africans - a number have gotten asylum, why? There's no war and allegedly freedom and equality in SA. Do white South Africans get asylum? Not to my knowledge.

That Ukrainian kid who was in DP and did well in the leaving cert so was given a free ride to UCD/Trinity to do physiotherapy - she wasn't from Crimea, no war, why were they here?

Begruding individuals asylum/education etc seems petty, but loosening rules makes us an easy target, and we are. I worked in a gypsy village in Central Europe and they knew all about Ireland, better benefits than UK, soft touch people, they called a person who went to Ireland "zlati prenasalec" = golden retriever.....

Most are bogus anyway. Economic migrants to a country which now a massive deficit in employment opportunities.

Time we stopped being a soft touch.

Which is why we need to speed up the process

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Absolute brass neck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

What's the opposite of 'virtue signalling'? I mean, is there a term for that, apart from the obvious?

Yep, all them. And you too.

Yep, all them. And you too.

Why me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Tork wrote: »
    What country does this dude come from? It isn't mentioned in the article. Would it be a country from which there are no direct flights to Ireland?

I don't know, but my first reaction when i clicked the link was "That's Michael from 'Lost'. what's Harold Perrineau doing in direct provision, in Ireland??"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mr Mfaco would have have got a lot more traction on this if he'd launched his campaign 6 months ago.

unlucky mate

• Advertisement

What's the opposite of 'virtue signalling'? I mean, is there a term for that, apart from the obvious?

Would still be virtue signalling, just playing to a different crowd.

If I was fleeing a warzone where me and my families lives were threatened a safe nation with a roof over our heads and food in our bellies would be heaven, especially if it was was the rural centres

However if say I was a piss taker economic migrant who was abusing the system or one who thought I would be given the keys to a council house and full dole on arrival I might be surprised and start moaning

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Direct Provision is nothing more than a money making racket set up to cater for failed hoteliers and other friends of the Government. That being both FF and FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Tork wrote: »

Cape Town, South Africa.
    He had a similar article in the Irish Times in 2018.
    Check it out.

Why me!!

Sometimes I watch you passing by my window
    And sometimes I watch you passing through my dreams
    And sometimes, when I look at you
    You take my breath away

washman3 wrote: »
    Cape Town, South Africa.
    He had a similar article in the Irish Times in 2018.
    Check it out.

So what is his reason for seeking asylum? South Africa is allegedly a democratic, equal and free society where as far as I am aware there is no war. Apartheid is history. There is widespread poverty - but if that's a reason to be granted asylum then the entire EU/US/Canada/Aus/NZ would be flooded.

seasidedub wrote: »
    So what is his reason for seeking asylum? South Africa is allegedly a democratic, equal and free society where as far as I am aware there is no war. Apartheid is history. There is widespread poverty - but if that's a reason to be granted asylum then the entire EU/US/Canada/Aus/NZ would be flooded.

Is he white?

seasidedub wrote: »

Answering my own question - he's gay. He states the law in South Africa is "perfect" but not the "lived experience " - I imagine it's similar for some GLBT people here too, especially in more rural places, the laws were changed but no doubt many still experience discrimination on varying levels. I don't see how Ireland needs to take people in on grounds of sexual/gender discrimination if the laws in their own country prohibit such discrimination. We cannot be responsible for the "lived experience " - countries need to enforce anti-discrimination laws.

Can citizens of certain Islamic counties which do actually prohibit and criminalize homosexuality apply? Saudis, Iranians etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Do it quickly.

Bit much to be complaining that they’re years in the system, when they appeal each and every refusal of their asylum claims so that it takes years to get to the end of the tunnel.

One appeal and then deport. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

How can we look this man in the eye and feel content as Irish men and women about his plight.

We are a country with zero homeless people. Everybody has a roof over their head, three meals a day, light, heat and clothing as well as guided access to education.

Oh hang on, maybe I have that the wrong way round.

Advertisement