Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ungrateful or does he have a point?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Spook_ie wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/direct-provision-if-that-is-the-kindness-of-the-irish-state-i-would-hate-to-experience-its-cruelty-996264.html

"If that is the kindness and compassion of the Irish State, I would hate to experience its cruelty."

A quote from a refugee in direct provision here in Ireland, my initial reaction is like WTF you're alive to complain about it at least!

Should we be more welcoming, less or just as it is now?

His lordship needs to be told fuc7 off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Is he white?

No no we know any white African could never experience racism, it's just fair payback, sins of the father and all that don't you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I don't know, but my first reaction when i clicked the link was "That's Michael from 'Lost'. what's Harold Perrineau doing in direct provision, in Ireland??"

Its obvious- he bought a pps number off a golden labrador.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Close the door behind you. Bye bye.

So don't fann linn?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

bubblypop wrote: »
    Oh yeah? Who exactly would you deport?
    Everyone seeking asylum? What about refugees?

Bogus AS should be deported.

Genuine refugees should be welcomed, which they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

MASI also tweeted that the Department of Justice were actively trying to kill them so, I guess there’s that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/masi_asylum/status/1247620957629538304

Yeah, they look like people we should take serious. If they genuinely think that the DoJ are trying to kill them, why are they seeking asylum here? Doesn’t make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The system is too slow, it's that simple. Direct Provision was supposed to be a temporary measure and it was supposed to be something you lived in for a short time, not feckin' years. But that's the Irish state for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There is nothing wrong with direct provision - for a while. If you spend a year or longer in it I'm pretty sure it becomes some form of torture in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Direct Provision - Grand System when used as intended.

Length of Time to process applications should be sped up with removal of appeals system. People are moaning how long they are in the system the problem in part is some of these people get a decision they dont like, then appeal it, then try and bring it to supreme court. If all that fails they go all out on social media to try and get the justice ministers head turned.

Cut out all that crap. Quick Decision based on facts , not claims.

At the same time, change the social welfare system for all people . Life long benefits for the lazy - gone.

Time to do away with the whole asylum shambles. Most are not genuine and it’s caused a “gold rush“ to get to Ireland and other prosperous western nations. The framework of asylum was written up post WW2 with that fresh in the mind.

Anyone who disagrees that the system is being abused on a massive scale is either deluded, a liar or making honey from the chaos.

It is not fit for purpose in the present with the technological advances of the modern day. Unless you’re an NGO, migrant masquerading as a refugee, solicitor or landowner who is profiting or benefiting from the mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If I was fleeing a warzone where me and my families lives were threatened a safe nation with a roof over our heads and food in our bellies would be heaven, especially if it was was the rural centres

However if say I was a piss taker economic migrant who was abusing the system or one who thought I would be given the keys to a council house and full dole on arrival I might be surprised and start moaning

that's just you. others may do things differently, it doesn't mean you are correct and they aren't, or that you aren't correct and they are.
    Deport them all

can't be done unless it is decided they don't have a case to remain.
    thankfully not liking migrants is quite rightly not grounds for deportation.
    Yep, all them. And you too.

yeah, sure lad, you haven't thought your nonsense through which is no surprise.
    where do you expect an irish citizen to be deported to exactly?
    DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Bit much to be complaining that they’re years in the system, when they appeal each and every refusal of their asylum claims so that it takes years to get to the end of the tunnel.

One appeal and then deport. Problem solved.

problem not solved as things can get missed, that is why there are a couple of appeals.

Length of Time to process applications should be sped up with removal of appeals system. People are moaning how long they are in the system the problem in part is some of these people get a decision they dont like, then appeal it, then try and bring it to supreme court. If all that fails they go all out on social media to try and get the justice ministers head turned.

At the same time, change the social welfare system for all people . Life long benefits for the lazy - gone.

life long benefits for the tiny few lazy gone will make no difference to anything in reality, i would expect.
    it certainly won't make the individuals less lazy anyway.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

life long benefits for the tiny few lazy gone will make no difference to anything in reality, i would expect.
    it certainly won't make the individuals less lazy anyway.
    Time to do away with the whole asylum shambles. Most are not genuine and it’s caused a “gold rush“ to get to Ireland and other prosperous western nations. The framework of asylum was written up post WW2 with that fresh in the mind.

the asylum shambles in itself is fine.
    the laws and rules are correct, the issue is the speed of operation which is a staffing issue. the bogus ones are eventually found out and i would expect are dealt with, and i think we can all agree that is quite right.
    Anyone who disagrees that the system is being abused on a massive scale is either deluded, a liar or making honey from the chaos.

incorrect that they are either of those.
    It is not fit for purpose in the present with the technological advances of the modern day. Unless you’re an NGO, migrant masquerading as a refugee, solicitor or landowner who is profiting or benefiting from the mess.

technology can only do so much in terms of this issue i would imagine.
    certainly i would expect certain aspects of it are not fit for purpose, but as a whole on a basic level it does seem to work, all be it slowly.

True enough... Although it's unlikely to be changed any time soon, and any such changes won't benefit existing Irish citizens.

With covid, we're probably going to see a rise in migration as people flee 3rd world nations seeking to live in countries with better healthcare, and their own economic systems fail. I have zero confidence that any political party has the backbone to stand up to the EU or put the interests of the country ahead of the need to virtue signal.

You forgot those people on a crusade. The people with a cause to "fight". It's all the rage these days, apparently. They get to feel all warm inside as migrants gain entry, but can ignore all the negatives because they're fighting the 'good' fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

The system is too slow, it's that simple. Direct Provision was supposed to be a temporary measure and it was supposed to be something you lived in for a short time, not feckin' years. But that's the Irish state for ya.

No it’s not. It’s the constant appeals after being refused asylum that take years. It should be one appeal within six months of the initial decision and then deport/leave to stay after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Tork wrote: »
    What country does this dude come from? It isn't mentioned in the article. Would it be a country from which there are no direct flights to Ireland?
    Going by his name, I'd say he's South African.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Direct Provision is nothing more than a money making racket set up to cater for failed hoteliers and other friends of the Government. That being both FF and FG.
    To the tune of a minimum of €1.3 billion to date, with several DP center owners racking up more than €100 million each in payments.
    And that does not included the ludicrous money paid to legal firms who fight asylum rejections with numerous appeals ...... all paid for by the Irish worker.

There are about 18,000 - 20,000 Nigerians living in Ireland (possibly more) and many told the same tale when they got here; yet they still received asylum. The dogs on the streets of Lagos knew how easy it was to get asylum in Ireland and the subsequent social welfare benefits for life. That is why there are so many here. How is that right?

With RTE and the Irish Times driving the asylum cause, Irish politicians are too weak and afraid to ask questions. The asylum system in Ireland is not fit for purpose and should be rebuilt from scratch. We just cannot afford this farce any more. It is not fair to the workers of the country who has to pay for it and it is not fair to the genuine asylum seekers who languish in the system.

You forgot those people on a crusade. The people with a cause to "fight". It's all the rage these days, apparently. They get to feel all warm inside as migrants gain entry, but can ignore all the negatives because they're fighting the 'good' fight.

These people aren’t worth considering. They have no true beliefs or principals of their own, so they feign interest in a cause to feel morally superior to the average pleb. The rest of us might be racist knuckledraggers arseboxing through life, but not them. They’re “better.” One of the good ones.

I pity them more so than anything and don’t view them as serious people. Someone must have a truly boring and vacuous life to cause them the need to adopt causes and principals in the hope of being viewed as “righteous” and right on by their equally as vacuous peers.

At least a simpleton has an excuse for their opinions and views and is a lot less dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

"If that is the kindness and compassion of the Irish State, I would hate to experience its cruelty."

tumblr_m81wew2J2N1qhkufzo4_250.gif

Go back to africay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/direct-provision-if-that-is-the-kindness-of-the-irish-state-i-would-hate-to-experience-its-cruelty-996264.html

A quote from a refugee in direct provision here in Ireland, my initial reaction is like WTF you're alive to complain about it at least!
    I think this man would be a perfect match for the Ribena lady, who cries racism in Ireland at every opportunity.

Reminds me of the well-heeled Syrian girl who described Irish direct provisions centres as the worst experience of her life. Don't forget that this young woman was fleeing from war-torn Syria, so our leisure-come-DP-centres must be horrible concentration camps. But then again, the same young lady was living in luxurious accommodation for a number of years in the UAE (or similar extremely expensive country) before getting asylum in Ireland.

Genuine asylum seekers would greatly appreciate the safety, housing, nourishment, and all the health benefits and other aid that is offered to asylum seekers in Ireland.
    Ever think we are being taken for fools?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

anybody in DP can have a free flight home in the morning they just have to drop there appeal they are all failed asylum seekers who are advised by NGOs and other self interest groups that are on a tax payers gravy train to stick it out.
    Stop de madness 1 appeal or out

• Advertisement

anybody in DP can have a free flight home in the morning they just have to drop there appeal they are all failed asylum seekers who are advised by NGOs and other self interest groups that are on a tax payers gravy train to stick it out.
    Stop de madness 1 appeal or out

incorrect, only some are failed asylum seekers, and the system will work fine in terms of dealing with them, all be it slowly.
    NGOs and all else advising people of their rights is a good thing, as are a couple of appeals which i would imagine act as a sort of check and balance to insure everything is up to scratch, and pick up on anything that may get missed.

These people aren’t worth considering. They have no true beliefs or principals of their own, so they feign interest in a cause to feel morally superior to the average pleb. The rest of us might be racist knuckledraggers arseboxing through life, but not them. They’re “better.” One of the good ones.

They're worth consideration because they're the ones with the most influence on pushing the message out. They're the muppets signalling and pushing agendas on twitter/facebook.

I don't think they are feigning an interest. They're true believers because it suits their purpose to be, Only the faithful could be so blind to the suffering of others, in their pursuit of a cause they have no personal stake in.

And.... if we ever want society to truly demand our politicians to stop this kind of migrant policy, then, we will have to take these crusaders down. It's as simple as that. The crusaders get their jolts of pleasure from their behavior.. and can go the long run... whereas the opposition gets distracted.
    At least a simpleton has an excuse for their opinions and views and is a lot less dangerous.

Ahh well, I consider the vast majority of people to be rather stupid. Myself included. Just various ranges of stupidity... It seems a better measure these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If he’s looking for sympathy he’s going the wrong way about it.

The direct provision system is the system in operation in Ireland. If you don’t like it then why did you chose to come here? It wasn’t a random trip that just happened to end here. They deliberately bypassed many other countries which they had to stop off in to get here but continued on so they had their homework done and seen something they felt was worth their while. What was that? Our over generous social welfare system that rewards laziness, perhaps?

If you don’t like it here your welcome to fcuk off to where ever you came from or try some other country to free load in.

No doubt there will be the usual cries of ‘the irish emigrated far and wide for many many years’ and yes that’s very true except for the little point those people conveniently forget....Irish people worked where ever they went, there was no social welfare, free houses, free education, free health care, fuel allowances, handouts for everything. They worked for everything they wanted or needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I’m happy to pay for a one way ticket to get him out of this hell hole.

Or get him a dinghy, he can row home.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since 2000, Ireland has been paying private companies to house asylum seekers, the vast majority in older hotels, B&Bs, and holiday camps around the country which may not be considered suitable for commercial hospitality purposes, stoking criticism that the system encourages the owners of these businesses to turn to the direct provision system rather than improve the properties for other uses.

Government records, available up until 2017, show that, since the first contracts were signed in 2000, the total bill for the 17 years amounts to €1.1bn, with one family business receiving almost €140m from the State.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/specialreports/special-report-how-accommodating-asylum-seekers-turned-into-a-billion-euro-industry-996215.html

Kivaro wrote: »

Reminds me of the well-heeled Syrian girl who described Irish direct provisions centres as the worst experience of her life. Don't forget that this young woman was fleeing from war-torn Syria, so our leisure-come-DP-centres must be horrible concentration camps. But then again, the same young lady was living in luxurious accommodation for a number of years in the UAE (or similar extremely expensive country) before getting asylum in Ireland.

Do you have a link for her “tale of woe?”

Could do with a laugh.

If he’s looking for sympathy he’s going the wrong way about it.

The direct provision system is the system in operation in Ireland. If you don’t like it then why did you chose to come here? It wasn’t a random trip that just happened to end here. They deliberately bypassed many other countries which they had to stop off in to get here but continued on so they had their homework done and seen something they felt was worth their while. What was that? Our over generous social welfare system that rewards laziness, perhaps?

If you don’t like it here your welcome to fcuk off to where ever you came from or try some other country to free load in.

No doubt there will be the usual cries of ‘the irish emigrated far and wide for many many years’ and yes that’s very true except for the little point those people conveniently forget....Irish people worked where ever they went, there was no social welfare, free houses, free education, free health care, fuel allowances, handouts for everything. They worked for everything they wanted or needed.

well no, we don't conveniently forget it, however it's in part, a rose tinted glasses statement trotted out in an attempt to try and suggest that somehow the irish are all grand where as immigrants.
    yes, plenty of irish have worked and contributed positively and do so currently, to the areas they live in. however i would suggest that it is not at the rate of 100% of irish immigrants who do so, there have been plenty of bad apples no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

A few mentions of bogus asylum claims and economic migrants...
    Curious if there have been any research papers (even at a European level) that contain stats on the legitimacy of asylum claims...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Anjunadeep wrote: »
    A few mentions of bogus asylum claims and economic migrants...
    Curious if there have been any research papers (even at a European level) that contain stats on the legitimacy of asylum claims...?

It would be considered racist to even suggest that this subject should be studied.

Advertisement