Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

We desperately need Leavy or a player with his skillset for both Leinster and Ireland against teams like England / South Africa.

If we were playing the AB's tomorrow I'd want VDF over anyone else at 7 as his athleticism and defensive reading account well for the faster pace NZ play the ball with.

Against a team like Saracens or England if I was picking from a Leinster backrow I'd go with Doris, Leavy, Deegan and just throw all the beef at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We desperately need Leavy or a player with his skillset for both Leinster and Ireland against teams like England / South Africa.

If we were playing the AB's tomorrow I'd want VDF over anyone else at 7 as his athleticism and defensive reading account well for the faster pace NZ play the ball with.

Against a team like Saracens or England if I was picking from a Leinster backrow I'd go with Doris, Leavy, Deegan and just throw all the beef at them.

Ruddock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ruddock?

Leavys best is much better.

Have to consider why Ruddock can't make Irish squad.. Ruddock himself didn't seem to reject the notion that he wasn't performing well enough this season. See Luke Fitz podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Any word on Fardy? He's been our most consistent player in the three seasons he's been with us. Would love one more year.

Pre crisis there was talk of him staying for another year.. Now who knows..

• Advertisement

Do the irfu not have a 3 contract rule?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do the irfu not have a 3 contract rule?

No rules are set in stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Fully agrre with this. Leavy is just so abrasive. His double tackle (think it was off a scrum) against England sums him up - can't find the gif but it's a joy to watch. He's been badly missed for Ireland especially. Not so much Leinster because as a team we're just so good with so many options.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

VDF brings things to the table that no other flanker in Ireland can. The exact same can be said of Leavy. Very different players but both excellent. I would definitely look at Leavy more at blindside to accommodate them both similar to Pocock and Hooper in Australia. It remains to be seen what player returns though after such a horrendous injury. Leavy will be doing well to return as close to the same player that he was.

On the few occasions (it will surely happen eventually) when we have all our back row players available, it's going to be a very tough choice and some top quality talent isn't going to get into the 23. It's very likely that we could have a scenario where we have a back row of Doris, Connors and Deegan (all in Ireland's 6N squad this year) not making the Leinster 23.

Synode wrote: »
    Fully agrre with this. Leavy is just so abrasive. His double tackle (think it was off a scrum) against England sums him up - can't find the gif but it's a joy to watch. He's been badly missed for Ireland especially. Not so much Leinster because as a team we're just so good with so many options.

Leinster missed him massively in lasts years final.

• Advertisement

You can imagine the uproar in Ulster and Munster if he did get another contract

Personally I think it would be great business and I doubt he is on massive money. His leadership with Ruddock when ireland are playing is incredible and Ryan has improved from playing with him

With Tomane leaving and Lowe getting qualified I think a case could be made. Especilly wok virus and I doubt Leinster will bring in another niq, but as mentioned I doubt the irfu would let it happen as the other provinces would start the usual

Leinster missed him massively in lasts years final.

True. But the same can be said for VDF. O'Brien was not at the races in the final and a shadow of his old self. VDF played in the Pro 14 final and was excellent.

Clegg wrote: »
    True. But the same can be said for VDF. O'Brien was not at the races in the final and a shadow of his old self. VDF played in the Pro 14 final and was excellent.

The pro 14 final wasn't the same level of game as the Saracens Final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Very much on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Buer wrote: »
    VDF brings things to the table that no other flanker in Ireland can. The exact same can be said of Leavy. Very different players but both excellent. I would definitely look at Leavy more at blindside to accommodate them both similar to Pocock and Hooper in Australia. It remains to be seen what player returns though after such a horrendous injury. Leavy will be doing well to return as close to the same player that he was.

On the few occasions (it will surely happen eventually) when we have all our back row players available, it's going to be a very tough choice and some top quality talent isn't going to get into the 23. It's very likely that we could have a scenario where we have a back row of Doris, Connors and Deegan (all in Ireland's 6N squad this year) not making the Leinster 23.

Is the bolded part really true? Connors brings tackle count just like van der Flier, but also makes dominant tackles more of the time, getting his timing and technique just right to drive people backwards. Both Cullen and Sean Cronin (I think it was) have mentioned that Connors is topping the in-house charts they keep for dominant tackles. They're reasonably similar players, and van der Flier has obviously been in against stiffer opposition, but, for me, Connors just takes the effectiveness of tackling to another level.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Is the bolded part really true? Connors brings tackle count just like van der Flier, but also makes dominant tackles more of the time, getting his timing and technique just right to drive people backwards. Both Cullen and Sean Cronin (I think it was) have mentioned that Connors is topping the in-house charts they keep for dominant tackles. They're reasonably similar players, and van der Flier has obviously been in against stiffer opposition, but, for me, Connors just takes the effectiveness of tackling to another level.

While the above may be true, VDF brought his game to a whole different level this season.

It’s not all about dominant tackles, VDF has insane fitness levels as well as the pace of a back. Connors can make dominant tackles but VDF can make try-saving ones.

I personally think VDF is much better over the ball as well. We hear a lot that he’s too lightweight and it’s simply just not true.

Mind you, we know you have a thing against people with foreign names so I’ll leave it there.

I think Connors performances were putting JVDF under pressure for his position for Leinster.

I think Connors performances were putting JVDF under pressure for his position for Leinster.

That's could well be true. Connors was putting in excellent performances in the Pro 14 and VDF responded by raising his game at Champions Cup level. The competition for places has raised everyone's game. Can see it with Deegan and Doris too.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The battle between Deegan and Doris has been glorious to watch. Both of them leaving everything out on the pitch week-on-week.

I honestly don’t think we’ll get any live rugby this side of 2021,btw. Even if you don’t let fans in, contact sport is a major risk in itself.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Faugheen wrote: »
    The battle between Deegan and Doris has been glorious to watch. Both of them leaving everything out on the pitch week-on-week.

I honestly don’t think we’ll get any live rugby this side of 2021,btw. Even if you don’t let fans in, contact sport is a major risk in itself.

You would have to wonder when the money is going to run out.

• Advertisement

Five intercept trys scored by Leinster. I'd forgotten about the Kirchner one. Sealed another win at Thomond park. Always a highlight of the year.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1254394801249607680?s=19

I wonder if Leinster have looked at Michael McDonald as a potential 9. Still IQ'd although seems fairly settled in Perth and living the Ozzie lifestyle.

good interview with him here: https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/0424/1134567-louth-learnings-standing-mcdonald-in-good-stead/

Interesting to see Nacewa's comments in the media recently. The most coverage was given to him saying that he'd like to coach at Leinster in the future and does plan on returning to Dublin some day. But the more interesting (for me) comments were that he's keeping a keen eye out for any talent he can recommend to Leinster.

With the likely significant gap in our squad for NIQ players come next season, we could be in a position to bring in a couple of foreign players in 2021. Currently, our only NIQ players are Fardy and Tomane (on the basis that Lowe qualifies early next season) and there's a decent chance that neither will be here next year giving us a completed Irish qualified squad which would be great to see as a complete anomaly.

I wonder if Leinster have looked at Michael McDonald as a potential 9. Still IQ'd although seems fairly settled in Perth and living the Ozzie lifestyle.

good interview with him here: https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/0424/1134567-louth-learnings-standing-mcdonald-in-good-stead/

One to watch and clearly rated in Australia having captained them during last year's JWC but I didn't think he was anything spectacular from watching him. He's decent, definitely one to keep an eye on but not a guy I'd be thinking we need to kill ourselves trying to tempt back yet.

With the financial situation in Australian rugby it might not be the hardest thing ever to turn his head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Pretty sure I read that for the 2021 season, we won't be signing anyone new (mostly due to finances).

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I read that for the 2021 season, we won't be signing anyone new (mostly due to finances).

We won't be signing anyone for the 2020/21 season. I'd imagine that will change and we will be signing a couple of people in 2021 though for the 2021/22 season.

We're going to lose a few this summer and replace them with academy guys. We'll potentially be losing any of Toner, Cronin and Bent (all 35) in summer 2020 and Sexton (36) is likely to call it quits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Buer wrote: »
    We won't be signing anyone for the 2020/21 season. I'd imagine that will change and we will be signing a couple of people in 2021 though for the 2021/22 season.

We're going to lose a few this summer and replace them with academy guys. We'll potentially be losing any of Toner, Cronin and Bent (all 35) in summer 2020 and Sexton (36) is likely to call it quits too.

Summer 2020 as in a few weeks time?

Toner is an interesting case, i'd say they'll try to keep him around as he gets older, although his effectiveness at the highest level may be more diminished as he continues to get older. At the end of the next season(summer 2021), leinster's locks could look like:

Scott Fardy(37)
    Devin Toner(35)
    Ross Molony(27)
    James Ryan(25)
    Jack Dunne(22)
    Charlie Ryan(22)
    Ryan Baird(21)
    Brian Deeny(20)

Ryan's leinster gametime will likely be quite limited next season due to Ireland, Baird possibly too.

Could leinster have a completely homegrown group of 2nd rows once Fardy departs? With Toner/Molony bringing the experience to a young group with Ryan not around much.

Who will replace Michael Bent as primary 3rd choice TH in the 21/22 season?

Vakh Abdaladze(25)
    Roman Salanoa(23)
    Jack Aungier(22)
    Tom Clarkson(21)

A lot of question marks there, Abdaladze has missed most of this season, Salanoa is a huge project, Aungier has a lot to prove, Clarkson has been outstanding as a under-20, but does he have the size/frame to be a top level TH prop?

• Advertisement

Finally looking at who will could replace Cronin in the squad in the 21/22 season?

Hooker situation in the summer of 2021:

Sean Cronin(35)
    James Tracy(30)
    Ronan Kelleher(23)
    Dan Sheehan(22)

Possible academy hookers at that time:

John McKee(21)
    Bobby Sheehan(21)
    Ronan Loughnane(20)
    Levi Vaughan(20)
    Lee Barron(20)

This looks like the position with the most potential for a signing, but even still i'm not so sure about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement