Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a 22 cal mod on a 17 cal

Options
  • 12-04-2020 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

So I have two T8 mods which were original built for 220 swift and 223. I now need a mod for a 17 R.E.M.
    So will one of the 22 mods work effectively with a 17 cal.

Any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

Zxthinger wrote: »
    So I have two T8 mods which were original built for 220 swift and 223. I now need a mod for a 17 R.E.M.
    So will one of the 22 mods work effectively with a 17 cal.

Any thoughts

As long as they are the same thread they should work fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I used a 22 SAK on on of my hmrs and a 223 mod on the other because the threading was the same. No problems and if anything the 223 mod (a T4 AR) was really quiet.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Will there be mush of a loss in noise reduction with a larger can.

Anyway it's all I have to hand at the min so that's what's getting used.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

"loss"?

The larger can allows for greater expansion of gases and may reduce heard report. That being said it's based solely on my opinion as i've never measured the actual decibel levels.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thread pattern depending.Either will do the job very well.Only way to find out is try them both with a decibel meter,if you want to be that pendantic about it.
    Rule of thumb is,always go bigger if unsure with cans. Both should have enough volume to take care of .17.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Good stuff. That's for the answers.
    I'm sure it will be fine now.

Always good to get the opinions of others.

ThNks

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Just a quick little tip for lads changing a mod between centrefires and rimfires its more so for .22lr
    Dont put a mod back onto a centrefire from a rimfire without cleaning first as if there is enough unburnt powder and and carbon etc from shooting cheap 22 it can cause a suppressor fire basically a mini chimney fire not too dangerous but can damage aluminium mods

Advertisement