Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a car for sale thread - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

1123heavy wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-5-series-520d-f10-m-sport-184bhp-2014/24507695

Thoughts?

Been considering a 520 for sometime now, I think this is a decent price. I'd be spending a bit more to get black alloys is all.

Only snag could be timing belt? It doesn't mention it has been changed and car is on 120k

It’s a manual.

Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭dodzy

SummerK wrote: »
    What is average life of timing chain and what would be cost of replacing timing chain and EGR cooler? Would cost be similar for 3L Diesel engine?

I’m in one at the minute. 110k miles. Auto. I’d never look at a manual car again. The auto box is superb. If you can get that one with the pronav and xenons at a good price, I’d opt for that one. As bazz said, circa 1200€ for a chain job. Reports indicate that in many cases, there will be tell-tale sounds of impending doom (bulkhead chain rattle) but not in all cases unfortunately. Obviously, if you’re unfortunate, it’ll cost more than double that price to put right. My guy does them; €2750 on a recent job.
    That said, they’re a great drive. The 184bhp is plenty around these parts too IMO although if you wanted to bump that to 230ish, you can, for approx €350. Having spent over 12mths in it, I would not let the potential chain issue put me off. Very easy car to DIY service; do brakes on etc. too.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

http://www.adverts.ie/20192817

Few of these problematic ones still on good nick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/20192817

Few of these problematic ones still on good nick

I always loved them but I’d never buy one, I’d always be afraid to put the boot down thinking the engine could shït itself at any point.

I always loved them but I’d never buy one, I’d always be afraid to put the boot down thinking the engine could shït itself at any point.

If you get it for 1k and dry storage it maybe in few years is a good inversion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Cheers for that, my non auto head just wouldn't spot these things. All noted

RE the manual drive not much of a consideration for me, i'd drive either.

I'm trying to find a white one then fit the black alloys onto it, it's a look i really like

Buy a manual one if you want to keep it for the rest of your life, because nobody else will ever want it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Cheers for that, my non auto head just wouldn't spot these things. All noted

RE the manual drive not much of a consideration for me, i'd drive either.

I'm trying to find a white one then fit the black alloys onto it, it's a look i really like

Agreed on the black alloys - combined with a black kidney grill it really improves the look. Just don't go mad with those "M Performance" plastic splitters, skirts and spoilers that have ruined so many BMW's in Ireland.

The auto box is beautiful, faster, lower CO2 emissions, and better fuel consumption (8 speed vs 6 speed). In sport mode, it just knows where the power is and keeps you in the right rev range. Outside of sport mode, it rarely hesitates to kick down if you put your foot down to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Agreed on the black alloys - combined with a black kidney grill it really improves the look. Just don't go mad with those "M Performance" plastic splitters, skirts and spoilers that have ruined so many BMW's in Ireland.

The auto box is beautiful, faster, lower CO2 emissions, and better fuel consumption (8 speed vs 6 speed). In sport mode, it just knows where the power is and keeps you in the right rev range. Outside of sport mode, it rarely hesitates to kick down if you put your foot down to overtake.

True I suppose. One thing I think I see with these cars from searching is that they depreciate somewhat controlled up till around the 10 year mark then the price nosedives. Some early last decade ones are around 12k then those from just before the decade are down around 6k even ... looks like you'll be saying goodbye to most of your money on one

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

True I suppose. One thing I think I see with these cars from searching is that they depreciate somewhat controlled up till around the 10 year mark then the price nosedives. Some early last decade ones are around 12k then those from just before the decade are down around 6k even ... looks like you'll be saying goodbye to most of your money on one

From what I can see, the depreciation is sharp on them all the way through.

You have a model change from e60, which probably accounts for a lot of what you’re saying about 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

10 years is often a cliff point in depreciation, with some exceptions. Add a major revision to the 5ers that coincides roughly with that point and it's worse (E60 - > F10)

Running a car from year 6 to year 10 can be costly if you overpay at the start. You can sometimes get better value running from year 4 to year 7, especially with high milers where you average out the mileage with your usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

bazz26 wrote: »
    Who buys a manual 5 Series these days? The autos are so much better and more suited to cars in that class. It's also a fairly basic spec M Sport, this one has similar mileage for the same money but it's auto and has the wider pro nav screen:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2537815&r=s.php%3Fm%3D10%26o%3D87%26r%3D2014%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

BTW they have a timing chain rather than a belt and on that engine they are common enough to stretch or snap. At that mileage I'd be budgeting to replace it or buy one that has already had it replaced. There is also a recall on the EGR cooler to be replaced.

The timing chain was really only a problem up til the end of 2012, a 2014 car should be fine although there has been one or two give hassle but nothing near the scale of pre 2012 ( Got this info from a head BMW MD mechanic ). The EGR valve was done under warranty on most of them so that's one less expensive thing to worry about. The Auto Msport+ with the 19" wheels and widescreen Nav is the one to get, I drove a few manuals and didnt think they drove as well. Change the oil every 8-9k miles ( BMW say its fine for a lot more but any mechanic I know will tell you oil is not meant for that mileage ) and it should last you a long time.

Great car and have one myself over 2 years. Haven't had any issues with mine apart from an airbag needing replacement in the rear suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2017 330e M Sport for 20k:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe977a610d9c30d57c8e8cd74b2983a586e.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2487088&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D10%26o%5B%5D%3D86%26f%3D3%26yn%3D2016%26yx%3D2018%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Mileage is a bit high for the year but not outrageous. Also as 3 Series go it's got a very decent spec, with the M Sport Plus pack, Widescreen Pro Nav, Harman/Kardon loud speaker system, heated front seats with electric memory setting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Very good price for that to be fair, but my god I've just never been able to reconcile that interior with the fact that it's in a BMW, something about the vents in the dash bring me back to my grandaunts 2002 Renault Clio. It just doesn't look a premium interior.

This megane looks like a genuine one if price open to negotiation

http://www.adverts.ie/20199619

Good luck finding a manual hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Didn’t Hunky Monster on here have one and it was awful heavy on fuel. Maybe I have it wrong but I don’t remember him having a particularly high opinion of it.

Still a nice looking package for 20k though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭maddness

Didn’t Hunky Monster on here have one and it was awful heavy on fuel. Maybe I have it wrong but I don’t remember him having a particularly high opinion of it.

That’s why they are so cheap. You can pick up a G30 5 series hybrid now very cheaply compared to a 520d too.

Those 'hybrids' will end up being the new 'dieselgate' in a few years. Complete scam. Look at the official co2 of the car, and then look at it's real world mpg. No relationship whatsoever.

Its little more than an energy recovery system to increase the apparent power of the car. Which, let's face it, the majority of higher functioning humans will use.

At least the bmw can be plugged in - the wretched Tpyotas wont even let you do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭User1998

Agree that the Toyota advertisements are a scam, they have been banned already in several countries, but plug in hybrids like the BMW are not a scam. There very useful and its easy to get very good economy from them while having decent power when you need it

The 330e/530e is never going to get you comparable diesel mpg if doing big mileage suited to a diesel. For motorway driving your going to get typical 2.0 litre turbo petrol fuel economy plus your carrying around the weight of the batteries in the boot so a 320d/520d will trump it there. They are good though for those who bought a 320d/520d who really had no business being in one. Around town they will run on electric only up to 25 - 30 miles along with the near silent refinement of no diesel clatter. Cheap imports and a VRT rebate kills resale values of them here which is good if your buying. However long term the technology is still relatively new and unknown so potentially still alot to go wrong which can be expensive with any premium car.

• Advertisement

your going to get typical 2.0 litre turbo petrol fuel economy plus your carrying around the weight of the batteries in the boot

Yeah, that's my point. Its putting out that much co2, it should be rated at that. 49g? That's just having a laugh.
    They need to be honest about it. Proper EV's should get better tax breaks at the expense of these pretend ones.

Edit: just to be clear, I'd have one in an instant - I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

True. 330e would suit some one doing more short trips than long one’s provided they have charging facility at home or work.

At 140,000km could there be additional work involved like timing chain, suspension etc. I guess that 330e got adaptive suspension else ride would be stiff on 19inch wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Just saw a 2017 Jaguar XF Manual for under 17k.
    I would suggest doing a history check as it could be UK import.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xf-jaguar-my-16-2-0d-rwd-prestige-4dr-2017/24673787

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭This is it

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xf-jaguar-my-16-2-0d-rwd-prestige-4dr-2017/24673787

Similar was posted around here last week, could be the same one. I think it was an Indy garage in Blanch selling at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Buíochas le Dia! That is cheap. I wonder what might be wrong with it? Personally I think anyone in the market would be better off Focusing on slightly more expensive examples. Anything that is cheap is cheap for a reason

Panel gap between the wing and bonnet on the passenger side looks large.

That exact car was for sale by a dealer for the same money recently, I posted a link to it somewhere here at the time.

Edit: Here it is:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113161295&postcount=2621

This opel astra 14 does look cheap?
    Asking 3.5 k
    http://www.adverts.ie/20209726

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Panel gap between the wing and bonnet on the passenger side looks large.

That exact car was for sale by a dealer for the same money recently, I posted a link to it somewhere here at the time.

Edit: Here it is:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113161295&postcount=2621

It’s an Irish car anyway, patting myself on the back here for spotting the KM clocks in the original ad.

Sadly has a condition alert against it though. Which is why it’s so cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭User1998

How are getting condition alerts without doing history checks? Twice now I’ve seen you do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

User1998 wrote: »
    How are getting condition alerts without doing history checks? Twice now I’ve seen you do it

I am doing history checks.

Advertisement