Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

With FBD it seems to depend on who answers the phone. I was told in no uncertain terms that the policy would not cover any social or domestic driving outside of driving to car shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I went into the FBD office in person and asked twice specifically about driving into work, was told it was OK

I just checked my cert, cover is SD&P with no mention of any restrictions (other than those on my daily policy such as for hire, racing,etc) - there is not even a mileage restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

I went into the FBD office in person and asked twice specifically about driving into work, was told it was OK

I just checked my cert, cover is SD&P with no mention of any restrictions (other than those on my daily policy such as for hire, racing,etc) - there is not even a mileage restriction.

Thanks for posting that information about your certificate MrCostington.

It looks like you are covered for driving to work with the FBD policy in that case.

Social Domestic and pleasure policies and what they cover seem to vary across different companies, see Axa example below.

https://www.fbd.ie/faqs/
    What class of use do I need?

With CarProtect you can select from 3 options:

Social, domestic and pleasure use (including commuting)
    Covers normal day-to-day driving and includes commuting to a permanent place of work. Examples of this include travelling to and from work, the shops and visiting friends and relatives.

Social, domestic, pleasure and business use
    Social, domestic, pleasure use and driving by the policyholder in connection with their occupation. Examples include travel between business locations/meetings or carrying goods/samples for work. Commercial travelling is excluded.

Commercial travelling
    Social, domestic, pleasure use and driving by the policyholder in connection with their occupation including commercial travelling. Commercial travelling is considered travel to customers as a permanent aspect of your occupation e.g. a sales representative

https://www.axa.ie/help/question/social-domestic-and-pleasure-plus-commuting-cover/
    If I use my car to drive to or from work (or during the working day) what class of use should I have on my policy?
    If you use your car to drive to work you should have Social Domestic and Pleasure plus Commuting cover on your policy. Please refer to Section 3 on your Certificate of Insurance to check the level of your cover. You can access this document in your MyAXA account.

This is from an Axa Uk website,

https://www.axa.co.uk/car-insurance/tips-and-guides/10-ways-to-avoid-invalidating-your-car-insurance/

Choose the right class of use
    When applying for car insurance you must select the class of use that reflects how you use or will be using your car. To help you make an informed decision, here’s short definitions of the classes of use you can pick from.

Social, domestic and pleasure
    Choose this class of use if you only drive for social purposes, such as visiting family and friends or nipping to the shops.
    Commuting
    As well as covering you for the above usage, this offers protection for your commute to and from your place of work. Keep in mind that if parking your car at a train station before hopping on a train is part of your daily commute, then you’ll need to choose this class as your car is part of the journey. Dropping someone else at their work is also classed as commuting too, so don’t get caught out.
    Business use
    If your job involves regular travel to more than one place of work, you need this. This does not cover transport of goods for customers, fast food delivery, driving instruction or carrying passengers as part of a business. Bear in mind that giving friends or colleagues lifts in return for contributions to fuel does not constitute carrying passengers for business.
    Choosing the wrong class of use can be costly and will result in a claim being declined if you are using your car for a purpose that it's not covered for. For example, if you were to tell your insurer that you used your car for social domestic and pleasure purposes but also use it for commuting, you run the risk of your car not being covered if you’re involved in an accident on your way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pachanco wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that information about your certificate MrCostington.

It looks like you are covered for driving to work with the FBD policy in that case.

Social Domestic and pleasure policies and what they cover seem to vary across different companies, see Axa example below.

https://www.fbd.ie/faqs/

https://www.axa.ie/help/question/social-domestic-and-pleasure-plus-commuting-cover/

I think having commuting hived off as a chargeable extra is a con by insurance companies.

Commuting is easily a 'domestic' use.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

whats the best "Club" to join to satisfy that requirement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to main Insurance forum along with other insurance threads in various Motors forums.

RobAMerc wrote: »

Literally, any.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

It only applies to new business and they have only recently implemented the 25 year cut off recently.

....indeed, just found out their (new?) underwriters has closed the door on anything under 20 - having 2 cars with them did me no favours at all.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

RobAMerc wrote: »

Any one as long as they give you a member number and /or maybe a membership card. Most insurers seem to want the membership number, not that they ever verify it in any way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....indeed, just found out their (new?) underwriters has closed the door on anything under 20 - having 2 cars with them did me no favours at all.

Meaning your two are not insurable on a classic policy with them until they hit 20 ? or even 25 ?

I have a 45 and a 35 year old insured with them, but was planning on adding a 20 year old one this year.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Meaning your two are not insurable on a classic policy with them until they hit 20 ? or even 25 ?

I have a 45 and a 35 year old insured with them, but was planning on adding a 20 year old one this year.

/M

they were on classic with them for the last 2 years already.....

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    they were on classic with them for the last 2 years already.....

Yes. But did they renew your policy or not ?

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Yes. But did they renew your policy or not ?

/M

No.

which was fine btw, as I got a better arrangment for the two of them as DD instead. Cost more, but the level of cover and breakdown etc was much better.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Autoline rang me this afternoon to renew the insurance on my Prelude. €270 for 3k miles, I had to take it as I had no choice.

I asked them why they had raised the age limit for Japanese cars from 20 years to 25 and they said it was because Alliance had changed their policy.

The guy I was dealing with told me that they were recording the amount of people who were requesting insurance on older Jap cars to prove that there is a demand there and to try and get the limit back down to 20 years.

Maybe we should spam them with requests to get things moving?!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭machu

My father has vintage insurance on his 1998 Toyota avensis with autoline since September 2019 is there a cut of of point that he can carry forward his previous no claims bonus if he was to go back to mainstream insurance with a new car ?

machu wrote: »
    My father has vintage insurance on his 1998 Toyota avensis with autoline since September 2019 is there a cut of of point that he can carry forward his previous no claims bonus if he was to go back to mainstream insurance with a new car ?

2 years. If you go one day over the two years then you lose it.

https://www.aviva.ie/insurance/car-insurance/ncd-explained/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

My father has 3 cars insured with Axa and he has my mother and 3 kids (Not KIDS!) names on the policy.

Axa are at €500... Seems steep so I rang them and they basically said that’s it and when I used the thinly veiled “Thanks, I’ll just price around” it was “Ok thanks”....

L-M wrote: »
    My father has 3 cars insured with Axa and he has my mother and 3 kids (Not KIDS!) names on the policy.

Axa are at €500... Seems steep so I rang them and they basically said that’s it and when I used the thinly veiled “Thanks, I’ll just price around” it was “Ok thanks”....

That's not bad, to be honest.

My Defender (35 years old, highly modified) is 630 EUR fully comp, 5k miles with Autoline. The LT (31 years old) is an additional 170 EUR on the same policy (sharing the 5k milage). Bringing the policy up to 800 EUR/year.

It's down to a lot of things. But 500 EUR with a good few people name on the policy is not a bad price.

The real cheap classic vintage insurances usually are third party only and only cover you for trips to shows. Like Evitas.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭timtim2016

Good afternoon, just a very quick query, wondering whose the best to deal with these days. Looking to buy a 90's jap car, Altezza, civic or integra, or classic mini, what are ball park figures people are getting. I am 29 with 5/6 years no claims bonus with a daily car that will remain my daily car, any help would be hugely appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

timtim2016 wrote: »
    Good afternoon, just a very quick query, wondering whose the best to deal with these days. Looking to buy a 90's jap car, Altezza, civic or integra, or classic mini, what are ball park figures people are getting. I am 29 with 5/6 years no claims bonus with a daily car that will remain my daily car, any help would be hugely appreciated.

Autoline want most cars to be over the 25 year old mark now for classic insurance. For jap imports you have to be 30 years or older.

A mini would be easy insure.

An altezza or integra would be a no go at the minute. An irish if there were any? Or ukdm vti eg civic would probably be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭timtim2016

I'll try autoline and see what answer I get. I was thinking jap just for ease and price of parts, along with having more of the comforts of modern cars. Is autoline the only option?

timtim2016 wrote: »
    I'll try autoline and see what answer I get. I was thinking jap just for ease and price of parts, along with having more of the comforts of modern cars. Is autoline the only option?

Yep. Seemingly so. Irish insurances don't like japanese cars ... . oh wait ... irish insurances don't like insuring anything .. unless you give them a wadload of money.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Had my renewal through recently from First Ireland. Not too impressed with it so tried Autoline and got a quote of €270 for a bmw e36 that I use for 6 mths of the year. When I told them my renewal was a bit under that, they said they could go to €200.

Would that be the best I could hope for nowadays? I know it's not bad but considering the current situation and talk of insurers refunding people on daily policies (hah!) I'd like to get it down nearer the €150 I used to pay for this car a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Agricola wrote: »
    Had my renewal through recently from First Ireland. Not too impressed with it so tried Autoline and got a quote of €270 for a bmw e36 that I use for 6 mths of the year. When I told them my renewal was a bit under that, they said they could go to €200.

Would that be the best I could hope for nowadays? I know it's not bad but considering the current situation and talk of insurers refunding people on daily policies (hah!) I'd like to get it down nearer the €150 I used to pay for this car a few years ago.

What was your renewal?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What was your renewal?

€248

Ok, that didn't take long!

Tried Campions. €125 for third party only or €160 for TPFT. Both dependent on vintage club membership. 5000 mile limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Agricola wrote: »
    Ok, that didn't take long!

Tried Campions. €125 for third party only or €160 for TPFT. Both dependent on vintage club membership. 5000 mile limit.

Great result, well done, 5000 is a generous amount. Can you drive anywhere you like on a classic policy? Not work I understand but can you just hop in the car on a nice dry day and tip off for a spin, maybe stay overnight in a b&b and head home again?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Great result, well done, 5000 is a generous amount. Can you drive anywhere you like on a classic policy? Not work I understand but can you just hop in the car on a nice dry day and tip off for a spin, maybe stay overnight in a b&b and head home again?

I was with FBD via Campion's for the last few year's. Just changed to First Ireland about €100 dearer, fully comp.with breakdown cover. With First , you lose the open drive and they are very fussy about your detail's , i.e. they insist on written confirmation for everything. Otherwise they are not too restrictive.

• Advertisement

Yes, I read on here that some insurers are very specific about only taking cars to shows etc but I confirmed with Campions that this is a social/domestic type policy which means you can use the car whenever you like as long as it's not for commuting/work and you adhere to the mileage limit.

Advertisement