Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due December 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Hi Beany. Sorry to hear you are feeling like that. I’m the opposite, feeling fine with not a hint of sickness, but that’s almost making me more worried if you know what I mean. It’s my first pregnancy so I don’t have anything to compare it to.

I hope things start to pick up for you soon.

I'm the same. My only symptoms are mild cramping that's comes and goes. My boobs are very sore sometimes. And I can't sleep at all, but that's a combination of excess energy, anxiety and hip pain.

My son is nearly 13, so I can barely remember what all this entails!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I was in today for a scan. I was with GP yesterday and because of a bit of cramping and my history i had a call at 8:50 this morn to be in for 10am. Super efficient.
    All good thank god. Heard the heartbeat and she said all looked ok. Felt like she was racing through it but I know today was just to check that baby was there and the 12wk scan will be less rushed/ more detailed.
    I was way off with dates too. Thought i was due 4th Dec but actually it's 20th Nov. I'll hover between here and Nov thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Becks0603

Hi, first time poster and first time pregnant! Just found out this week, estimated to be about 5 weeks and due mid December. When should you make an appointment with your GP? Weirdly relieved I can't really see family at the moment so don't have to lie to them! Used to telling my mam everything but it's very early days. Hope everyone is doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maisie_moo

Becks0603 wrote: »
    Hi, first time poster and first time pregnant! Just found out this week, estimated to be about 5 weeks and due mid December. When should you make an appointment with your GP? Weirdly relieved I can't really see family at the moment so don't have to lie to them! Used to telling my mam everything but it's very early days. Hope everyone is doing well!

Congratulations!

I am 7 weeks today and went to the doctor yesterday.
    She took bloods/blood pressure/weight.
    She said she will referr me in for dating scan (12wk scan) to CUMH. Shes doing it on both the public/private route as I havnt made up my mind which yet. I'm more 50/40 leaning towards public. Iv zero health issues to date/dont really mind seeing different people at scans etc. She booked me in with Prof Higgins if I do go private route. I didnt know if I got a choice (first pregnancy)...usually I like seeing my options and putting feelers out.

I'm feeling a little nauseous (or hunger..can't tell difference!) constantly. I wish I was working as don't notice it when I'm busy/out and about. Hard filling my long days atm. The peeing during night is driving me mad as usually I sleep solidly. I cant sleep in as I need the toilet, then cant get back to sleep as have that nausea/hunger feeling.

I havnt told anyone yet. However I was only thinking this morning does your dating scan appointment come by post? I have my home address on her system and not my rental address. I hope it doesnt say CUMH on the front...eek.

maisie_moo wrote: »
    Congratulations!

I am 7 weeks today and went to the doctor yesterday.
    She took bloods/blood pressure/weight.
    She said she will referr me in for dating scan (12wk scan) to CUMH. Shes doing it on both the public/private route as I havnt made up my mind which yet. I'm more 50/40 leaning towards public. Iv zero health issues to date/dont really mind seeing different people at scans etc. She booked me in with Prof Higgins if I do go private route. I didnt know if I got a choice (first pregnancy)...usually I like seeing my options and putting feelers out.

I'm feeling a little nauseous (or hunger..can't tell difference!) constantly. I wish I was working as don't notice it when I'm busy/out and about. Hard filling my long days atm. The peeing during night is driving me mad as usually I sleep solidly. I cant sleep in as I need the toilet, then cant get back to sleep as have that nausea/hunger feeling.

I havnt told anyone yet. However I was only thinking this morning does your dating scan appointment come by post? I have my home address on her system and not my rental address. I hope it doesnt say CUMH on the front...eek.

I've just started doing research on public/private and reading the threads on here about it. I am working from home so it's good to be busy but feeling wrecked all day.

Ready for bed early but then struggling to sleep with my mind racing and also in and out of the toilet too!

I've sore boobs, some cramping and more peeing but so far that's it!

Hopefully the letter will be discreet!

• Advertisement

The letter will be discreet.
    I have felt so much sicker this time than when pregnant with my other two but I really think it is because I have more time to notice it. Was working full time on last pregnancies and apart from the tiredness, I don't remember feeling so nauseous (it def is easing now though - I'm 9 weeks today)
    On my first I used to have the most glorious naps and I was like a new woman when I'd get up. Last time I couldn't because of my little fella but this time I'm back to the naps and I highly recommend. Husband comes home for his lunch and I skidaddle up the stairs for even a half hour. Really works for me and I'm not like a zombie come 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

I'm due December 10th, first pregnancy. Have a GP, but wouldn't see me physically, just over the phone.
    Have already booked in to the Coombe, the were very efficient sending out the letters etc.
    I'm soooo tired, keep waking up very early and can't go back to sleep, then am wrecked later in the day. I'm actually thankful I'm stuck working at home instead of commuting!
    Anyway, hope you are all well:)

blueturnip wrote: »
    I'm due December 10th, first pregnancy. Have a GP, but wouldn't see me physically, just over the phone.
    Have already booked in to the Coombe, the were very efficient sending out the letters etc.
    I'm soooo tired, keep waking up very early and can't go back to sleep, then am wrecked later in the day. I'm actually thankful I'm stuck working at home instead of commuting!
    Anyway, hope you are all well:)

Congratulations!! I'm going to call my GP first thing Monday hopefully I can get past the secretary to speak to her directly and get the ball rolling. Its handy working from home, don't have to hide how tired you are from colleagues!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Congratulations!! I'm going to call my GP first thing Monday hopefully I can get past the secretary to speak to her directly and get the ball rolling. Its handy working from home, don't have to hide how tired you are from colleagues!

The one big benefit of the lockdown!! I found working and commuting terrible, I walked in retching many days because I couldn’t be on the smelly LUAS or bus and had huge anxiety over feeling pukey in meetings. While obviously I hate the lockdown and The pandemic as much as the next person, I’m so glad I don’t know to go to work right now. I feel better this time, still sick but not suffering as much anxiety because the fear of puking on the LUAS or in front of my boss is gone

Appointment book starting to fill up already!

I got a letter this morning saying I've to attend an OPD Pre-term Surveillance Clinic in May.
    It doesn't explain much, but I'm guessing it's because I had cervical Lletz treatments. They did mention at the treatment that I would likely need a stitch in my cervix.
    I've tried calling to confirm what it's all about but no answer as yet.
    And the letter states I should attend alone, no partners for outpatient visits.
    My booking in to the semi-private clinic is 3 days after the appointment, and that didn't say anything about going in alone, I'll be having a scan so really hoping he can attend that one.

• Advertisement

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Appointment book starting to fill up already!

I got a letter this morning saying I've to attend an OPD Pre-term Surveillance Clinic in May.
    It doesn't explain much, but I'm guessing it's because I had cervical Lletz treatments. They did mention at the treatment that I would likely need a stitch in my cervix.
    I've tried calling to confirm what it's all about but no answer as yet.
    And the letter states I should attend alone, no partners for outpatient visits.
    My booking in to the semi-private clinic is 3 days after the appointment, and that didn't say anything about going in alone, I'll be having a scan so really hoping he can attend that one.

When are you due Shelli? Fingers crossed he'll be allowed in for the scan. It's really unnerving to hear that you have to go alone. How did you find the Lletz treatment? I had a colposcopy and biopsies taken 2 weeks ago and i'm still waiting for the results, only found about the pregnancy last week so hoping if I need treatment it can be delayed.

When are you due Shelli? Fingers crossed he'll be allowed in for the scan. It's really unnerving to hear that you have to go alone. How did you find the Lletz treatment? I had a colposcopy and biopsies taken 2 weeks ago and i'm still waiting for the results, only found about the pregnancy last week so hoping if I need treatment it can be delayed.

Most treatments can be done while pregnant, they might delay till second trimester.
    The Lletz is uncomfortable, but no more so than a biopsy. I've had 3 Lletz and a number of biopsies over the last ten years. First was detected at my first smear after my first son, had a number of appointments over that year and then went on yearly smears for 10 years. We had just started considering a baby, year 9, and it reared its head again. Typical!
    Back in and out again over the last 18 months, last biopsy was Jan and I was told we could try for baby if we wanted. Im not due back to cervical clinic until January.

Edit: by my calculations I'm due December 12th.

Most treatments can be done while pregnant, they might delay till second trimester.
    The Lletz is uncomfortable, but no more so than a biopsy. I've had 3 Lletz and a number of biopsies over the last ten years. First was detected at my first smear after my first son, had a number of appointments over that year and then went on yearly smears for 10 years. We had just started considering a baby, year 9, and it reared its head again. Typical!
    Back in and out again over the last 18 months, last biopsy was Jan and I was told we could try for baby if we wanted. Im not due back to cervical clinic until January.

Edit: by my calculations I'm due December 12th.

Thanks for the information, my last smear was clear 4 years ago and then this year these cells have popped up! I thought the colposcopy had delayed my period so was very surprised to see a positive test...so surprised I did 2 more different ones to be certain. At least you're not due back until January now so you have a bit of a break from it all. My due date is 15th December

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Congratulations!
    I'm in Cork/this is my first pregancy so I'm no help to you.

Questions: should I be making an appointment with my doctor soon? Is it free? Are doctors even seeing people at the moment? At what stage of a pregnacy must people pick public/private route?

Hi Maisie-Moo!

I'm due my second on the 14th of December. Still can't believe it. Strange times.

I would advise you to book an antenatal appointment with your GP ASAP to get registered on the system - the sooner you're registered, the sooner you get your first scan and booking appointment. The GP will ask you if you want to go public or private, but you can always change your mind later on if you wish. First antenatal appts are free with some GPs but not others. Make sure you say its an antenatal when you book it.

Finally got through to the clinic - it's for an internal ultrasound to see if I'll require a cervical cerclage (stitch) and to see if there is any special instructions for my consultant.
    I made the mistake of googling the details of the cervical stitch - I'll never learn :(
    I really wish my partner will be able to attend - I'm not sure what the ultrasound will show, and if it's the fist chance to see baby I want him there.

Scanning in Ireland is a strange thing - when I had my first, the norm was to only have one scan at 20 weeks! I had to fight for a 12 week dating scan.
    From other forums I think the UK and US scan much earlier and much more frequently.

Then again, it doesn't surprise me - on my first there was a history of a serious fatal genetic disorder on my ex's side, the hospital refused to even entertain any discussions of genetic testing or early tests for the baby - basically they said even if the baby had the genetic disorder there was nothing could be done under Irish Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maisie_moo

Hi Maisie-Moo!

I'm due my second on the 14th of December. Still can't believe it. Strange times.

I would advise you to book an antenatal appointment with your GP ASAP to get registered on the system - the sooner you're registered, the sooner you get your first scan and booking appointment. The GP will ask you if you want to go public or private, but you can always change your mind later on if you wish. First antenatal appts are free with some GPs but not others. Make sure you say its an antenatal when you book it.

Hi Cailleachdubh

Congrats on your pregnancy!!
    I went to my doctor this day last week. Consultation was free alright but had to pay for bloods (€30) Last time I was at a doctors bloods were free, might go to show the last time Iv actually been at a doctor, ha. (Besides smears)
    I actually got a letter today from the private referral. (Letter was discreet..plain white infact!) Waiting on the public letter now. I'm leaning towards public atm though.

EDIT: on the bottom of my private referral letter was "Early scan: Wed 28th April @ 11am"
    I rang the secretary this morning to see what that was about and she said it's a complementary 8week scan and I don't need any paperwork. My first antenatal visit where I need to pay won't be until the 12week/dating scan. Has anyone availed of this and then gone public? I'v not been bothered about early scans but since this is free do I go?

Finally got through to the clinic - it's for an internal ultrasound to see if I'll require a cervical cerclage (stitch) and to see if there is any special instructions for my consultant.
    I made the mistake of googling the details of the cervical stitch - I'll never learn :(
    I really wish my partner will be able to attend - I'm not sure what the ultrasound will show, and if it's the fist chance to see baby I want him there.

Scanning in Ireland is a strange thing - when I had my first, the norm was to only have one scan at 20 weeks! I had to fight for a 12 week dating scan.
    From other forums I think the UK and US scan much earlier and much more frequently.

Then again, it doesn't surprise me - on my first there was a history of a serious fatal genetic disorder on my ex's side, the hospital refused to even entertain any discussions of genetic testing or early tests for the baby - basically they said even if the baby had the genetic disorder there was nothing could be done under Irish Law.

Oh no google is not your friend right now :( fingers crossed you won't need one. I received my results from the colposcopy clinic and they have decided I don't need any treatment for the time being just a review colposcopy in 6 months, feeling relieved about that today!

It would be great if they have relaxed the restrictions a bit by the time the appointment comes and your partner can go with you.

There doesn't seem to be that many scans, hearing more and more people getting private extra scans done here now.

Hi Cailleachdubh

Congrats on your pregnancy!!
    I went to my doctor this day last week. Consultation was free alright but had to pay for bloods (€30) Last time I was at a doctors bloods were free, might go to show the last time Iv actually been at a doctor, ha. (Besides smears)
    I actually got a letter today from the private referral. (Letter was discreet..plain white infact!) Waiting on the public letter now. I'm leaning towards public atm though.

EDIT: on the bottom of my private referral letter was "Early scan: Wed 28th April @ 11am"
    I rang the secretary this morning to see what that was about and she said it's a complementary 8week scan and I don't need any paperwork. My first antenatal visit where I need to pay won't be until the 12week/dating scan. Has anyone availed of this and then gone public? I'v not been bothered about early scans but since this is free do I go?

Sorry Maise_moo, i'm no use to you on the free scan this is my first pregnancy and still not really sure what to do about going public or private. Saw my GP this week and she didn't even mention it just said she would send off my referral letter to the Coombe!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Hi all, just a question for anyone who might have an idea, we just found out last week that my wife is pregnant with our first, this is now about her 6th week, we cannot get in to see the doctor for the first appointment until the 6th of may. We are just a bit nervous as with the wait and not sure should we push to get seen earlier or do you think as its the first appointment am I just over exaggerating a little bit.

Thanks

Santan wrote: »
    Hi all, just a question for anyone who might have an idea, we just found out last week that my wife is pregnant with our first, this is now about her 6th week, we cannot get in to see the doctor for the first appointment until the 6th of may. We are just a bit nervous as with the wait and not sure should we push to get seen earlier or do you think as its the first appointment am I just over exaggerating a little bit.

Thanks

That's a pretty long wait alright, do you have any other GP options?
    That said, first visit is generally a health check and registration. Weight, BP, etc
    You can still register with your chosen hospital in the mean time and get an appointment sorted.

• Advertisement

I was 8 weeks before I went to see GP so no she's grand. They don't really do anything at that appt apart from bit of paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

heldel00 wrote: »
    I was 8 weeks before I went to see GP so no she's grand. They don't really do anything at that appt apart from bit of paperwork.

Yeah we had seen this to be the case alright, I suppose when you can't just ask family members or friends these most simple questions it just plays on the mind, can't ask as we don't want to tell any one just yet, thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Yeah we had seen this to be the case alright, I suppose when you can't just ask family members or friends these most simple questions it just plays on the mind, can't ask as we don't want to tell any one just yet, thanks so much.

My GP wouldn't even see me :) just talked to me over the phone and explained what I had to do next. So I just registered with the hospital, and am now waiting... patiently-ish.
    She will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Thanks

This is my third and I didn’t even ring my GP. I am private so I just referred myself in but I think you can do that public also, but maybe the Gp needs to do the combined care paperwork. I wouldn’t worry about the wait at all at 6weeks, you don’t usually get seen until 12 weeks in hospital. I did do a private scan in a small ultrasound clinic for dates though

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RubyJessie123

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well. Just a quick question. I’m in my 7th week and have had my GP apt. I got my letter for my first scan ( I am going public ) and it’s dated for mid may when I’ll only be 9 and a half weeks if my dates are right. That can’t be correct can it? I’m going to ring tomorrow and see but surely it should be an apt at 12 weeks not any earlier? It’s my first so I’m a bit confused. Thanks 😊

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well. Just a quick question. I’m in my 7th week and have had my GP apt. I got my letter for my first scan ( I am going public ) and it’s dated for mid may when I’ll only be 9 and a half weeks if my dates are right. That can’t be correct can it? I’m going to ring tomorrow and see but surely it should be an apt at 12 weeks not any earlier? It’s my first so I’m a bit confused. Thanks 😊

Sounds a bit unusual alright, it's normally around the 12 week mark. Give them a call and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RubyJessie123

Sounds a bit unusual alright, it's normally around the 12 week mark. Give them a call and see what they say.

Ya it seems a bit odd. Will be doing it first thing thank you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well. Just a quick question. I’m in my 7th week and have had my GP apt. I got my letter for my first scan ( I am going public ) and it’s dated for mid may when I’ll only be 9 and a half weeks if my dates are right. That can’t be correct can it? I’m going to ring tomorrow and see but surely it should be an apt at 12 weeks not any earlier? It’s my first so I’m a bit confused. Thanks ��

I’m also public and got my letter with an appointment for 10.5 weeks if my dates are correct. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Can I ask how long after your GP appointments you got your scan dates? I saw my GP almost 2 weeks ago and no news yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Can I ask how long after your GP appointments you got your scan dates? I saw my GP almost 2 weeks ago and no news yet.

About 2.5-3 weeks I think.

Advertisement