Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I agree.. We are also in the same position as you. This will be our forever home and we weren’t willing to lose our dream house because we thought we might get a cheaper one. It was a chance we were willing to take

Goodluck with the move...Yes, saving money or possibly saving money is great but sometimes, especially over a long term there is a lot more to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's the story with moving house at the moment?

I'm in my mam's house, she's high risk and I work in a warehouse. My new house is only 5 minutes down the road. Not planning on sticking around if I don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭PommieBast

DaveyDave wrote: »

I'm in my mam's house, she's high risk and I work in a warehouse. My new house is only 5 minutes down the road. Not planning on sticking around if I don't need to.
    I would just go ahead and start moving things bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Hardly essential services so it will have to wait for another month or two

Would you not have pulled out as the market will have to re align downwards and prices will reduce 20/35% in the East and be up to 50% outside the Dublin conurbation.

People will have to come to terms with this, look at the last 2008 debacle, that was reducing prices by up to 50% for a recession. This will be a depression that will affect us for a generation at least

We're at 50% now? Where'd you pull that from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

jrosen wrote: »
    We will have some restrictions being lifted in my opinion come May 5th. So im hoping floor fitters will be one. If not we shall wait and see.

This is going to be our home for the foreseeable future so movement in value isn't important to us.
    That being said we were signed in and legally in no position to pull out either without loosing our deposit.
    I also dont thin house prices will fall that much.

Congrats on buying your home. I’m so jealous! Hoping to buy by the end of the year.

• Advertisement

Have you enough essentials to move?

Rock77 wrote: »
    Congrats on buying your home. I’m so jealous! Hoping to buy by the end of the year.

Thanks Rock77, hopefully you will get a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

I moved last weekend. Was stopped at two checkpoints and just explained I needed to move and nothing was said. I’d say go for it

jrosen wrote: »
    Have you enough essentials to move?

House has appliances, just need to get a washing machine and dryer delivered which shouldn't be a problem from what I can see.

Can't get most of the furniture we want delivered so the GF will stay at her parents house for now. I'll move in myself with the bare essentials. Mattress, fold out couch, TV etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

I am in a situation where I was meant to close in a couple of weeks, owners are currently living in the property and feel they can't move until all restrictions are lifted.

Have told my solicitor I'll give it a few weeks but if they're not willing to leave the house by then the deal will be off. Would've thought as a seller with the way the world is, you'd be renting an airbnb or what have you if it means your sale will happen. (I say Airbnb as I know the sellers are moving country).

Is that a bad attitude to have as a buyer? I'm in 2 minds about pulling out of the deal but for the fact it's the ideal house in an ideal location for me and not many houses come up for sale there so even if I pulled out and waited for a better deal there's no guarantees another will pop up any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No one knows what will happen but I imagine the market will be frozen for a good few months while people work out what is going on and adjusts to the new reality. So if you do pull out be you may be waiting for a while. If you are prepared to wait though, then prices may be significantly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maitguel

brimeh wrote: »
    I am in a situation where I was meant to close in a couple of weeks, owners are currently living in the property and feel they can't move until all restrictions are lifted.

Have told my solicitor I'll give it a few weeks but if they're not willing to leave the house by then the deal will be off. Would've thought as a seller with the way the world is, you'd be renting an airbnb or what have you if it means your sale will happen. (I say Airbnb as I know the sellers are moving country).

Is that a bad attitude to have as a buyer? I'm in 2 minds about pulling out of the deal but for the fact it's the ideal house in an ideal location for me and not many houses come up for sale there so even if I pulled out and waited for a better deal there's no guarantees another will pop up any time soon.

I thinks it’s unreasonable for your to carry all the price risk while the owners wait for a time that is suitable for them, clearly they are not thinking about you and the fact you want to move into a house you bought. I would have my solicitor serve a completion notice if you are going to wait because that will put pressure on them to close once the period of the notice has expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maitguel wrote: »
    I thinks it’s unreasonable for your to carry all the price risk while the owners wait for a time that is suitable for them, clearly they are not thinking about you and the fact you want to move into a house you bought. I would have my solicitor serve a completion notice if you are going to wait because that will put pressure on them to close once the period of the notice has expired.

They might be trying to pull out of a deal for a house they tried to buy on the other end.

Wait to see if the market is going to crash and hopefully get pre-corona prices from you and stay in the house until they can get their new house for post-corona pennies or pcp as it is known in the finance world ;)

House has appliances, just need to get a washing machine and dryer delivered which shouldn't be a problem from what I can see.

Can't get most of the furniture we want delivered so the GF will stay at her parents house for now. I'll move in myself with the bare essentials. Mattress, fold out couch, TV etc.

Yup harvey norman and DID are still delivering. Bins are taking up to 2 weeks but I think thats pretty normal.

Maitguel wrote: »

That’s what I was thinking too about them being unreasonable, I thought it may be a little unreasonable from me to try ‘push’ them out during a pandemic, but as my solicitor said to me - they either want to sell or they don’t.

So he has served a completion notice that gives them a couple more weeks so that at least they can see how restrictions go from May 5th.

At the end of the day I love the house but I’m prepared in the back of my mind to move on from it if there’s too much messing. I see the positive in moving on regarding prices in the future but a negative in that god knows how long it will be.

They might be trying to pull out of a deal for a house they tried to buy on the other end.

Wait to see if the market is going to crash and hopefully get pre-corona prices from you and stay in the house until they can get their new house for post-corona pennies or pcp as it is known in the finance world ;)

Exactly the feeling I was getting regarding the receiving pre corona price and buying post corona. We’ll see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Only good news if your personal circumstances haven't changed. What percent of couples haven't had their circumstances changed? Nearly every couple I know, at least one of them is on reduced pay/unemployed. Myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I've put an offer in at 10% below asking on 2 properties that I'm interested in.
    I will update back here when I hear back.

Zenify wrote: »
    Only good news if your personal circumstances haven't changed. What percent of couples haven't had their circumstances changed? Nearly every couple I know, at least one of them is on reduced pay/unemployed. Myself included.

Hard to say really. It's the opposite for me, almost everyone I know is still working. Only one or two aren't and from what I see most of the companies around my job are still open as normal. The person I know who isn't working worked in a tattoo studio and was temporarily laid off. The rest are working as normal from home, no reduction in hours or pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭SpencerJC

There was an article in the Sunday Independent yesterday saying brokers are reporting those bank valuations is some cases are factoring in a 10pc drop-in prices to protect themselves. I have been delayed with Ulster bank because of something like this, expecting to hear from them today. If they value the property I am looking to buy 10pc less, I assume that means they will only give me a mortgage for 10pc less? So at that point, I'd either need to renegotiate or come up with the difference myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Nicki99

Sorry if this has been posted already but can anyone tell me what are the next steps after getting mortgage approval?

Mortgage advisor said that if we find a house to let them know the address but do we bid on house first or just let advisor know address of house we are interested in?

Apologies for probably a stupid question but as FTB haven't a clue what we are doing..

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Nicki99 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been posted already but can anyone tell me what are the next steps after getting mortgage approval?

Mortgage advisor said that if we find a house to let them know the address but do we bid on house first or just let advisor know address of house we are interested in?

Apologies for probably a stupid question but as FTB haven't a clue what we are doing..

Thank you!

You find the house you're interested in, if your offer is accepted, pay the deposit then give your bank the property address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

once offer accepted ,get engineer arranged ASAP - give bank heads up that you are sale agreed ( just a gesture really) and if happy to proceed give address to bank so they will update the application to an actual property and the real process begins !

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ebayissues

Got an email from PTSB aa couple of minutes ago - PTSB are no longer doiing exemptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Hard to say really. It's the opposite for me, almost everyone I know is still working. Only one or two aren't and from what I see most of the companies around my job are still open as normal. The person I know who isn't working worked in a tattoo studio and was temporarily laid off. The rest are working as normal from home, no reduction in hours or pay.

You must have picked your friends wisely.

Looking at the numbers:

Nearly a quarter of the workforce is on the Covid-19 payment. Thats not even taking into account reduced pay etc. So to look at a couple which has 2 workers would a guess at 33percent of couples have been affected. Judging by the figures that's a low guess but it still just seems crazy high to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My partner and I were just about to apply for AIP, I was just waiting to sit a final exam and get a significant pay rise but I had one exam ti sit and in was scheduled for the first day the Universities closed, so now I'm on reduced pay and sitting idle through the day as I'm a mechanic.
    My partners is working from home still on a full wage, I'd love to have the faintest idea when we might be in a position to apply again, the not knowing is the worst part.

JL555 wrote: »
    You find the house you're interested in, if your offer is accepted, pay the deposit then give your bank the property address.

Thank you!

whatever76 wrote: »
    once offer accepted ,get engineer arranged ASAP - give bank heads up that you are sale agreed ( just a gesture really) and if happy to proceed give address to bank so they will update the application to an actual property and the real process begins !

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

ebayissues wrote: »
    Got an email from PTSB aa couple of minutes ago - PTSB are no longer doiing exemptions.

Any chance you could send on what exactly the email said?

Advertisement