Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

SpencerJC wrote: »
    Yeah, we did not have anything signed no, that was the next step. I wouldn't expect something like this to apply to anyone who has already signed as they are already in a contract.

I signed a loan offer and returned it before covid struck and contracts and have heard nothing from BOI. Hopefully drawing down soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Ulster bank contacted me today saying they have to pause the mortgage. As they expect COVID to have an impact on the housing market they'd like to re-evaluate the property and its value before drawing down, they said this is the approach most the banks are now taking. It's probably only a good thing as it will act as a further negotiation tool if they come back and say they can only lend us 90% of what they previously were going to. Have others been contacted too?

Yes. Pretty much identical call. We were sale agreed but like yourself, contracts not yet signed.
    We asked when we can expect to hear more but we’re told they have no timelines so have to just wait it out I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

lfen wrote: »
    Yes. Pretty much identical call. We were sale agreed but like yourself, contracts not yet signed.
    We asked when we can expect to hear more but we’re told they have no timelines so have to just wait it out I suppose.

Had ye already had the valuation done before this call?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭SpencerJC

I already had it done ye.

I hadn’t. We were waiting for a date to be confirmed.

• Advertisement

I already had it done ye.

Obviously your bank isn't much of a bank. Did you sign and return the loan offer to make it binding on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

lomb wrote: »
    Obviously your bank isn't much of a bank. Did you sign and return the loan offer to make it binding on them?

We signed our offer witnessed by the solicitor outside their office on Tuesday, she forward this straight to the bank, but due to the current circumstances, there still might be an issue with drawdown coming down the tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

According to their website, the PRA is accepting paperwork by post/DX from next week so that should help speed up some transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

We draw down tomorrow. Our delays were with the builder but have have had zero issue with bank and solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

jrosen wrote: »
    We draw down tomorrow. Our delays were with the builder but have have had zero issue with bank and solicitor.

What bank? (If you don't mind me asking)

• Advertisement

What bank? (If you don't mind me asking)

KBC

We're going to start contacting people this week (bank/solicitor/agent) to see if there's any way we can move forward during lockdown. So far, the bank (AIB) hasn't said anything to us in terms of taking back the loan offer or needing a new valuation. I realise some posters here have said conveyancing is halted, but I'm hoping that over the next few weeks there'll be something put in place to facilitate house purchases.

If somehow we do get the go-ahead, hand over the 10% deposit and get contracts signed, and then the bank pulls out of the mortgage, would we lose our deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

We're going to start contacting people this week (bank/solicitor/agent) to see if there's any way we can move forward during lockdown. So far, the bank (AIB) hasn't said anything to us in terms of taking back the loan offer or needing a new valuation. I realise some posters here have said conveyancing is halted, but I'm hoping that over the next few weeks there'll be something put in place to facilitate house purchases.

If somehow we do get the go-ahead, hand over the 10% deposit and get contracts signed, and then the bank pulls out of the mortgage, would we lose our deposit?

I'm unsure where people stand on losing their deposits, these are strange times. I think if the bank pulls out, the main reason will be due to the concern that Covid19 will cause serious downturn in the property markets therefore impacting valuations, so they might well seek to hold off. On the other hand, if the property is unoccupied I see no reason why a bank appointed valuer cannot go and inspect it as banking services are considered essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭akesha

Once you sign the loan offer (along with the purchase contracts), banks can't pull out. We were discussing this some pages ago - they were only freezing the process if you didn't sign yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

akesha wrote: »
    Once you sign the loan offer (along with the purchase contracts), banks can't pull out. We were discussing this some pages ago - they were only freezing the process if you didn't sign yet.

I don’t believe once you sign the loan offer thats enough. My solicitor would say you never have the money from the bank until the money is in the client account. They can look for updates documents from you and if not happy, decline to issue funds. If they are not happy with the valuation, can decline to issue funds. There are some ways around it.

If your solicitor has a loan clause in the contracts, your covered as it will basically say if you can’t get the moment from the bank you get the deposit back. I would not be signing contracts without it so check with the solicitor on that.

Has your loan offered issued from AIB? Letters are going out to solicitors who have clients with aib loan offers requesting the solicitor to give additional undertakings that they cannot actually give - especially related to registering the mortgage in PRA (which being closed, means they solicitors can’t give the undertaking).

Also solicitors need to witness the signing of paperwork in the presence of the person signing so that’s going to create some delays in itself to get paperwork signed for both purchasers and sellers.

I say until PRA opens, not much will happen for those who are near closing.I find once one bank has a new restrictive policy, the rest follow.

PRA opens on 20th April so all good there. Aib was never much of a bank. I remember when I needed money back in 2010 they told me they hadn't got any whereas BOI was willing to lend.
    Same again today it seems nothing changes.

Dolbhad wrote: »

I say until PRA opens, not much will happen for those who are near closing.I find once one bank has a new restrictive policy, the rest follow.
    Hsbc in the UK allows the drawdown unless advised otherwise. They have released info to brokers on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 WAL1992

KBC

Good to hear, we're looking to draw down with KBC too this week. Not sure how we go about getting the keys though :s

Kind of giving up on PTSB. Been waiting 3 weeks for a full loan offer to issue for a sale agreed property. Both parties solicitors emailed stating they are ready to sign contracts and close but we cant move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gavvvvers

Just received AIP today from KBC - still lending for now. Mind you we put in application (via broker) about 3 weeks ago. Both of us work for tech company and don't require exception for amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭AuldDaysul

Got AIP from Ulster Bank this week, applied through Broker about 4 weeks ago. Employment not secure at the moment unfortunately, although have 6 months to see how it plays out I guess.

AIP letter even references Covid19.

We have drawn down, no additional checks or info sought from the bank. (KBC)

We have no idea how to get keys however. No one seems to know where they are..

Just an update as I had said early last week that we were sale agreed & UB contacted us to say things are on hold. Well today they emailed looking for a statement as the one we had given is just out of date. No mention of the conversation last week. So things seem to be moving along again. At least it seems that way.

Kind of giving up on PTSB. Been waiting 3 weeks for a full loan offer to issue for a sale agreed property. Both parties solicitors emailed stating they are ready to sign contracts and close but we cant move forward.

In contrast to my above gut feeling, we received our loan offer today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Closing on Monday, purchasers haven't had any issues with drawdown :)

Hopefully good signs that things can continue somewhat as normal despite everything that is going on.

We are closed, picked keys up today at our house.

Now hoping we can have some flooring etc fitted soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We've just had the valuation approved by the bank. The original approval in principle was back in Sept and now they are asking for bank and credit card statements, letters and payslips from employers. Does this mean it's back to square one and we have another month or two to wait for approval and that we could get turned down?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

We are closed, picked keys up today at our house.

Now hoping we can have some flooring etc fitted soon enough.

Hardly essential services so it will have to wait for another month or two

Would you not have pulled out as the market will have to re align downwards and prices will reduce 20/35% in the East and be up to 50% outside the Dublin conurbation.

People will have to come to terms with this, look at the last 2008 debacle, that was reducing prices by up to 50% for a recession. This will be a depression that will affect us for a generation at least

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Hardly essential services so it will have to wait for another month or two

Would you not have pulled out as the market will have to re align downwards and prices will reduce 20/35% in the East and be up to 50% outside the Dublin conurbation.

People will have to come to terms with this, look at the last 2008 debacle, that was reducing prices by up to 50% for a recession. This will be a depression that will affect us for a generation at least

We will have some restrictions being lifted in my opinion come May 5th. So im hoping floor fitters will be one. If not we shall wait and see.

This is going to be our home for the foreseeable future so movement in value isn't important to us.
    That being said we were signed in and legally in no position to pull out either without loosing our deposit.
    I also dont thin house prices will fall that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NearlyForty

We will have some restrictions being lifted in my opinion come May 5th. So im hoping floor fitters will be one. If not we shall wait and see.

This is going to be our home for the foreseeable future so movement in value isn't important to us.
    That being said we were signed in and legally in no position to pull out either without loosing our deposit.
    I also dont thin house prices will fall that much.

I agree.. We are also in the same position as you. This will be our forever home and we weren’t willing to lose our dream house because we thought we might get a cheaper one. It was a chance we were willing to take

Advertisement