Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

lenny4545 wrote: »
    Has anyone actually been successful in negotiating a reduced price for a new build?

Yes. But not a huge amount. €6k. We were very happy with that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

lfen wrote: »

How did you do it? Did you ask if they were willing to renegotiate or just offer a lesser amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Had you already signed though or no? We have singed and really just waiting to draw down. Our solicitor said that if the builder wanted to come down in price he could. But that if the house price changed we would need to re-apply for mortgage all over again and re submit everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maitguel

jrosen wrote: »
    Had you already signed though or no? We have singed and really just waiting to draw down. Our solicitor said that if the builder wanted to come down in price he could. But that if the house price changed we would need to re-apply for mortgage all over again and re submit everything.

Did you solicitor say if you got the same house cheaper you need to reapply for the mortgage? I thought your solicitor could have just drawdown less?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I got 10k off 285 in Dublin. Asked for 15, so happy enough. Nothing signed yet of course.

• Advertisement

Maitguel wrote: »
    Did you solicitor say if you got the same house cheaper you need to reapply for the mortgage? I thought your solicitor could have just drawdown less?

Yes, but to put into context we were concerned the valuation would expire and we would have to re-do. So we asked what would happen if the house was valued at less.
    The response was we could approach the builder and see if he would be willing to sell the house for less but it was totally up to him if he did. As we have already signed we are tied in.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

I got 10k off 285 in Dublin. Asked for 15, so happy enough. Nothing signed yet of course.

Should be looking for 100k off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Lol...what seller would actually accept an offer of 100k less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

I think I know where you got your name from

Lol...what seller would actually accept an offer of 100k less?

None of course. Maybe someone desperate would go to 40k , who knows.

I was just highlighting that I think its mad to buy right now, for a small discount like that.
    You are taking on a lot of risk, as we dont know effect on market yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Would you say the risk is so great and the likelihood of price falls so skewed towards the extreme that asking for a 30+% drop from the seller is a reasonable midpoint?

Logan Roy wrote: »
    I think I know where you got your name from

FOOOOOCCCCKKK OWWFFF.

Sorry, but you are Logon Roy.:D

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    Would you say the risk is so great and the likelihood of price falls so skewed towards the extreme that asking for a 30+% drop from the seller is a reasonable midpoint?

Im just amazed people are opening their negotiations with such small discount requests.

The market has heavily swayed in the favor of buyers in my opinion. There will be a lot of scared sellers looking to close out quickly.

FOOOOOCCCCKKK OWWFFF.

Sorry, but you are Logon Roy.:D

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Im just amazed people are opening their negotiations with such a small discount request.

The market has heavily swayed in the favor of buyers in my opinion. There will be a lot of scared sellers looking to close out quickly.

Maybe if you got a 30% deposit at least and both PS workers otherwise the predicted 500k forcast to lose their job won't get a mortgage at draw down after the bank looks for the most recent payslip in the coming weeks and months.

People need to get this notion out of their head that they are going to grab a bargain, only people that win in times like these are cash rich individuals.

It's good to try get 5-10k off if you are close to sale but if you are about to close on a sale i wouldn't dilly dally if you eager to secure a home and in secure employment, i can imagine the banks are going to grind to a halt on lending very soon.

KilOit wrote: »
    Maybe if you got a 30% deposit at least and both PS workers otherwise the predicted 500k forcast to lose their job won't get a mortgage at draw down after the bank looks for the most recent payslip in the coming weeks and months.

People need to get this notion out of their head that they are going to grab a bargain, only people that win in times like these are cash rich individuals.

It's good to try get 5-10k off if you are close to sale but if you are about to close on a sale i wouldn't dilly dally if you eager to secure a home and in secure employment, i can imagine the banks are going to grind to a halt on lending very soon.

Are you suggesting that someone who thinks they may lose job soon, should buy house now while they still can?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Are you suggesting that someone who thinks they may lose job soon, should buy house now while they still can?

For most people they should run a 1000 miles.

For others:

Depends. If they have tons of savings, buying a cheap property could work out cheaper paying off small mortgage each month than pissing away savings for 10 years...

Using myself my property has 2 spare rooms not doing anything. It's my own place with a lot of privacy. Would nearly pay that for a room let alone my mortgage in Dublin...

All because I was quick (lucky) enough to buy a property a few years ago. I'd still be renting otherwise. Even if I lose my job then I can still live in house...

I know that (apart from being too young then to even sign a contract) back in 08 crash I would not have been given a mortgage and would be stuffed. Banks typically do not take on more risk (uncertainty) when things not looking good.

How did you do it? Did you ask if they were willing to renegotiate or just offer a lesser amount?

We hadn’t put a deposit down yet. Had asked the EA for a reduced price a few weeks previous and it was a definite no. We then offered €10k less when restrictions were announced and agreed on €6k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

We hadn’t put a deposit down yet. Had asked the EA for a reduced price a few weeks previous and it was a definite no. We then offered €10k less when restrictions were announced and agreed on €6k off.

Not many I have heard of so depends on seller I suppose. I will wait and see how it goes

We asked for a reduction, no was the response. Which is the response I expected, we are locked in and ready to close. There is no incentive for the builder to reduce the price and there is no incentive for us to pull out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi all. Wondering whether solicitors are operating currently for activities like issuing and reviewing contracts? Has anyone seen this in the last week?

Am currently trying to sell a property. It's fallen through previously, so contracts are drafted and ready to go. Have dropped the price, and to my surprise the estate agent is still doing viewings, and getting offers (albeit much too low).

I'm thinking that, if, by a miracle, we manage to do a deal in the next few days, it's likely my solicitor will not be able to issue contracts, as not attending their office at present.

If all solicitors are closed for this activity, a delay would be quite reasonable. But, if some are still doing so, this may be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Hi all. Wondering whether solicitors are operating currently for activities like issuing and reviewing contracts? Has anyone seen this in the last week?

Am currently trying to sell a property. It's fallen through previously, so contracts are drafted and ready to go. Have dropped the price, and to my surprise the estate agent is still doing viewings, and getting offers (albeit much too low).

I'm thinking that, if, by a miracle, we manage to do a deal in the next few days, it's likely my solicitor will not be able to issue contracts, as not attending their office at present.

If all solicitors are closed for this activity, a delay would be quite reasonable. But, if some are still doing so, this may be a problem.

conveyancing has largely shut down as far as I'm aware

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

My solicitor and the developers solicitor seem to be working away. Got a few questions asked of me this evening at least.

Our legals are moving along nicely. Builders and our solicitor both working away. We asked how final signings and collection of keys will work but he’s confident we can work around the restrictions.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Likewise, so far our conveyance work seems to be going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

We are working away yea. Phone consultation with clients, folio reviews online, bank staff are all online ,wire transfers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Solicitors are not on the essential services list, at least not for private property sale conveyancing. We had our first review of docs, for a site we went sale agreed on in December of last year, the Friday before the actual lockdown was announced but are stymied atm.

Edit: not saying some are not working, but in our case they aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Good to hear solicitors are still working. We went sale agreed 2 weeks ago, and have paid a booking deposit. Waiting for the vendors solicitor to send contracts to ours.

I'm assuming bank valuations and engineering surveys are out of the question now?
    Our mortgage advisor supposedly sent instruction to the bank to do their valuation, but haven't heard anything yet. I also contacted engineers for quotes who all provided one, but that was before the extra lockdown on the 27th.
    Anyone heard of either of these happening in the last week?

Signed contracts on sale today via video call, quite unusual!

We also received contracts today for the new build we are purchasing.

It seems strange that any solicitor would not continue working from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

em_cat wrote: »
    Solicitors are not on the essential services list, at least not for private property sale conveyancing. We had our first review of docs, for a site we went sale agreed on in December of last year, the Friday before the actual lockdown was announced but are stymied atm.

Edit: not saying some are not working, but in our case they aren’t.

Solicitors are one of the essential services according to the Law Society.

Advertisement