Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plywood clock

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Bruthal wrote: »
    Its never the intention, more experimenting and doing it as a passtime, but eventually I will have to probably move one or two on.

I'm sure a lot of us are interested if you're offering! My landing is looking rather bare right now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

would it be possible to sell these flat pack, ikea style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

donegal. wrote: »
    would it be possible to sell these flat pack, ikea style?

It would if I did a bolt together frame, which is what I am drawing right this minute for this balance wheel setup.

For it to work as a flat pack setup without having to build and test first, would want a laser cutter really.

Continued on the balance wheel idea a bit, after leaving it for a while. Still a bit to be done with it, but its running.

Eventually got around to some progress on the balance wheel mechanism. Near enough done now. A few finishing touches at some stage. I was surprised how well the balance wheel works, as it is easier to get a pendulum swinging with almost no friction at its pivot point.

Click image below and the video is at the bottom of the page, with photos of some of the design and build progress near the top.

img-838e0214976744741ee0235459d4833a-v_1_orig.jpg

• Advertisement

Its still going anyway. A video from half hour ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I adore the grasshopper escapement. Though it can have a tendency to run away when being wound IIRC and I can't see it ever being made to work in a watch any time soon, it's damned near frictionless and is the most elegant escapement ever IMHO. Mesmerising to watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I adore the grasshopper escapement. Though it can have a tendency to run away when being wound IIRC and I can't see it ever being made to work in a watch any time soon, it's damned near frictionless and is the most elegant escapement ever IMHO. Mesmerising to watch.

Yes I love them myself. I modified the clock I have in the hall (post #16) to a grasshopper earlier this year as well. They are very elegant, and a lot quieter than the graham ones. Fascinating to watch them.

They can indeed free run if not careful on winding, so the pendulum can be held to one side during winding, although the spring powered ones such as the balance wheel one there, can be wound without the movement being stopped, as the spring still keeps the driving power on.

The other remontoire one I have in the living room can also be wound unaffected (post#84), once its wound before the dropping wheel driving the escape wheel gets to the bottom. That one shares a lot of the same parts with the balance wheel one, same movement in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Bruthal wrote: »
    Its still going anyway. A video from half hour ago.

That is a thing of beauty, fantastic job!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

An interesting addition to the clock making shed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

That's class. Bit of an upgrade from the scroll saw!

Are you going into business then?

Would love to be able to put one together but it's beyond my woodworking skills. Have been half thinking of getting a 3D printer so may attempt it in plastic. Won't look as good as your wooden ones though. :(

Great to see you back after so many years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭893bet

I still wanna buy one of these!

Ryath wrote: »
    That's class. Bit of an upgrade from the scroll saw!

Are you going into business then?

Would love to be able to put one together but it's beyond my woodworking skills. Have been half thinking of getting a 3D printer so may attempt it in plastic. Won't look as good as your wooden ones though. :(
    893bet wrote: »
    I still wanna buy one of these!

The curious thing is, just last week I quickly drew up a simple design in cad, and lasered it out. No hands on it yet as I ran out of 1/8th steel rod, but the mechanism is running all week. I might take a quick video now. The idea was that its relatively simple to build. I like the minimalist look of it anyway.

It has a graham escapement but I will be making up a grasshopper for it, likely a modified version of ones I used already, resized.

OK here it is. Very simple, which is the idea. 2 more gears and pinions for the hour hand and thats it then. Frame sort of slots together with some wood glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Bruthal. wrote: »
    An interesting addition to the clock making shed

What kind of price would something like this cost. I'd love to get into making little trinkets and plywood models with a laser cutter.

What kind of price would something like this cost. I'd love to get into making little trinkets and plywood models with a laser cutter.

I built that one last year. Still not finished, although its really just the outer enclosure and a proper laser bed to be made up.

I was surprised how well it works. Its a 90 watt tube in it. I primarily cut 6mm birch ply with it, and was not certain it would do it well, but it cuts it easily. A few other unexpected uses as well.

A few other unexpected uses as well.

Playing evil villain with Mr Bond?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Great to see you back after so many years!
    +10000
    It has a graham escapement but I will be making up a grasshopper for it, l
    You Sir, are a god among men. :D The grasshopper is the bomb IMHO. OK it can have issues with overrunning, but by god is it elegance personified, can be made horribly accurate and requires feck all lubrication too. Pity that it will likely never make it's way into a watch. If it did, forget caseback view, make it the dial view.
    Thirdfox wrote: »
    Playing evil villain with Mr Bond?
    Bruth. Earlier. Working on clocks. He swears.

bond-villains-goldfinger-laser.jpg#

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Think it was around €2700. I used a 90 watt tube in it. Depending what you would use it for, a 40 watt seems to be the most common size, which would be a fair bit cheaper.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    The grasshopper is the bomb IMHO. OK it can have issues with overrunning, but by god is it elegance personified
    Yea I love them myself. The clock I have in the hall I swapped the Graham one for a grasshopper a couple of years ago. Very nice in it.

The escape wheel can over-run or escape if it's not setup right, or during rewinding, but once it's setup and the user is familiar with it, it's usually fine.

Advertisement