Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plywood clock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Eventually did the hands gear train and the hands, and dial on the clock in posts 47, 51.

About 2 months ago I got a clock mainspring, and last tuesday I got onto the autocad and drew up a frame, used the same gear prints from the clock in the previous post, and modified the weight drive gear design to take the spring. The escape wheel is different though, it has 60 teeth on it instead of the usual 30, to accommodate a pendulum 1/4 the normal length.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Bruthal wrote: »
    About 2 months ago I got a clock mainspring, and last tuesday I got onto the autocad and drew up a frame, used the same gear prints from the clock in the previous post, and modified the weight drive gear design to take the spring. The escape wheel is different though, it has 60 teeth on it instead of the usual 30, to accommodate a pendulum 1/4 the normal length.

Uhhhh ????:eek:

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

I am building a house at the moment and really want to make one of these a feature in the hallway!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Uhhhh ????:eek:

It's a plywood "Spring Drive" :D ...i.e. no weights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

wow, those clocks are amazing. Its time to give up the day job.

donegal. wrote: »
    wow, those clocks are amazing. Its time to give up the day job.
    I don't know about that. Its a lot of work cutting the parts out. Drawing them is time consuming too, although any particular design is at least just drawn once, with modifications later when improvements are thought of.

Its all just an interest I have.

I don't know about that. Its a lot of work cutting the parts out. Drawing them is time consuming too, although any particular design is at least just drawn once, with modifications later when improvements are thought of.

Its all just an interest I have.

Dont underestimate what you are doing, its a great skill

If ever off loading let me know...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dont underestimate what you are doing, its a great skill
    +1000. I once tried to make a grasshopper escapement out of wood and it ended up a well sanded slug that didn't escape…

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000. I once tried to make a grasshopper escapement out of wood and it ended up a well sanded slug that didn't escape…

Its one i`m going to have a go at soon I think. I added a grasshopper set of parts to one of the drawings today, to see how I will have to modify one of the existing frame drawings to take it. Needs a bit more height above the escape wheel than a deadbeat pallet needs. Its on the left of drawing, complete with escape wheel. Original escape wheel is on the other side of the hour hand gear set of 4 gears in the drawing and higher up.

This drawing of gears is from the clock first seen in post 16. I might end up with a well sanded slug myself:D

4943863_orig.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I highly bloody doubt it B. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I highly bloody doubt it B. :)

What clock was it you had a go at, your own design?

Edit: I remember now you said it was your own design.

I remember now you said it was your own design.
    and that right there was the rock I was dashed upon B. :D

and that right there was the rock I was dashed upon B. :D

Is there any trace of it left, or is it long gone?

Oh long gone. Couldn't keep the evidence around. :)

I was looking through the drawings I had done and decided to do a quick test rig and try out the grasshopper setup I had posted the drawing of in post 71, with some slight mods to it. Surprisingly enough, it worked easier than I was expecting.

That grasshopper will be in the next mechanism, which might be something different I have in mind, if it runs properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

how about something like this as a follow on project?

MiCr0 wrote: »
    how about something like this as a follow on project?

Someone sent me that on YouTube the other day too.

I dont have enough steel shafts left to install all gears needed to run it properly, but I got enough together to sort of half test the mechanism.

No braking fins yet so the rewind is too fast. A temporary short pendulum as well means its ticking at double speed.

Braking setup added, and its on temporary shelf with full length pendulum. Earlier grasshopper in it as well.

• Advertisement

Proper main drive setup done now. I was surprised how well it ran on the first proper start.

I love this thread. :)

Did a bit on it today after leaving it running a couple of weeks, and so its probably just about done now. Perhaps paint hands or something. Drew up a sort of shelf that it just sits on, rather than screw it to the wall, for a change.

It can be seen that it is a one minute remontoire, as it goes from 22:11 to 22:12 at remontoire rewind. They are usually either 30 seconds, or one minute intervals, easily enough changeable from one to the other.

Another test rig put together, this time to test if a balance wheel is viable, instead of a pendulum.

Your video is set to Private B.

Fixed now I think.

That is very cool. :)

Yea I didn't think it likely to get bearing points low enough in friction to work. But it's working very well. It would be an interesting setup in a clock.

That's amazing...

At some point you gotta start selling these things...please !

• Advertisement

At some point you gotta start selling these things...please !

Its never the intention, more experimenting and doing it as a passtime, but eventually I will have to probably move one or two on.

Advertisement