Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark side of the ring

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

What was the idea of the Brawl for All concept? I wasnt watching wrestling till about 2000 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Depends on the rules. If its boxing it will be a boxer

If its MMA its going to be one of those guys.

Lots of variables in order to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What was the idea of the Brawl for All concept? I wasnt watching wrestling till about 2000 onwards

Russo wanted JBL to get his head knocked off.

JBL kept saying in the locker room if this sh1t was real he would destroy them all.

Russo got ****ed of him saying that and wanted the bully beaten up.

Pitched the idea and Vince liked it and they decided it was a way to get Dr Death over.

Everything back fired except for JBL getting knocked out cold.

As it turns out knocking JBL out cold wasn't that hard as Joey Styles knocked him out cold too.

For a bully JBL didn't seem to learn his lesson with guys knocking him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭ThePott

The episode explains it pretty well, if you wanna give it a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I remember even at the time me and my mates talking about how it was a bad idea. Remember, heavyweight boxing was red hot at the time with Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis etc so everyone knew a good boxing match when they saw one.

And then we had these clumsy wrestlers swinging handbags at each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

That was an excellent episode I wouldn't say it was a dark side of wrestling just a stupid side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

That was an excellent episode I wouldn't say it was a dark side of wrestling just a stupid side.

LOL. That'd be a pretty packed series if they were ever to make it. Stupid Side of the Ring:D

I'd watch that.

The Stupid Side of the Ring.

Sign me up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If it ended up Riddle vs Lesnar now there'd be a good Mania spectacle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Surely it'd be no contest - Big Show hands down the winner with that knockout punch of his. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm listening to the Kevin Sullivan interview on the Jim cornette experience which is very interesting so far. Now it's his side but it's good to get both sides.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm listening to the Kevin Sullivan interview on the Jim cornette experience which is very interesting so far. Now it's his side but it's good to get both sides.

whats the general gist of what he is saying?

Blanco100 wrote: »
    whats the general gist of what he is saying?

He's disputing the the claims of abuse and his timelines are different to Nancy Benoits sister. It's interesting but I've not gotten to if they discuss the whole murder suicide tragedy.

Kevin Sullivan is not a fan of the makers of the dark side of the ring. The only recorded incident of domestic abuse in their relationship was from Nancy and she was charged with it. I've never heard Kevin Sullivan curse but he did in this interview because of the people who believe he was someway involved in the deaths.

He didn't take part in the show because he hadn't been given the green light by Nancy's parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I was surprised when Russo said he created the Brawl for All because of JBL. I remember someone saying it was to capitalise on the popularity of the UFC at the time. Can't for the life of me remember who it was.

As a kid I didn't care much for it, but I paid more attention to it than a WWE show these days. In the unlikely scenario Vince decided to bring back the Brawl for All, the WWE might actually grab my attention for more than 30 seconds at a time.

it might have been crap, but it would be intriguing to see who would win out of current roster. providing Lesnar didnt enter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm not convinced that Dr. Death would ever have gotten to work a program with Steve Austin even if he hadn't been injured.

A) If fans were supposed to buy into the guy as a tough SOB, then Ken Shamrock would have had a main event program as well.

B) The Brawl for All was not that much of a credibility killer for Bob Holly, JBL and The Godfather, so if Dr. D was really that handy, he would have been able to work his way up the card after coming back from injury, which he didn't do.

C) The roster was stacked with charismatic stars at the time and competition would have been fierce for Dr D.

D) To hear Cornette tell it, Vince and Kevin Dunn dislike southern 'wrasslin' and anything that reminds them of it, of which Dr. D would have been a prime example.

briany wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that Dr. Death would ever have gotten to work a program with Steve Austin even if he hadn't been injured.

A) If fans were supposed to buy into the guy as a tough SOB, then Ken Shamrock would have had a main event program as well.

B) The Brawl for All was not that much of a credibility killer for Bob Holly, JBL and The Godfather, so if Dr. D was really that handy, he would have been able to work his way up the card after coming back from injury, which he didn't do.

C) The roster was stacked with charismatic stars at the time and competition would have been fierce for Dr D.

D) To hear Cornette tell it, Vince and Kevin Dunn dislike southern 'wrasslin' and anything that reminds them of it, of which Dr. D would have been a prime example.

I never really saw Dr Death as a good fit for Stone Cold. They tried the monster heel beating
    him with Kane and not only could they not bring themselves to give Kane a clean win, his win only lasted 24 hours.

The build up to Summerslam 98 was strange as well, with the audience not really wanting to see a bad ass Undertaker as a threat to Stone Cold.

The truth is Stone Cold was at his best when raging against the system and taking on cowardly heels. Dr Death just wouldn't have worked against a peak stone cold in my opinion.

EDIT Just on Bart Gunn winning, perhaps it was just me but even as a kid I was well impressed. I remember trying to convince my brothers who were boxers and who no interest in wrestling that Bart Gunn was for real. Maybe that was just me though but I don't buy Cornette or JR saying there was no where to go with Bart. They just weren't arsed in trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

I never really saw Dr Death as a good fit for Stone Cold. They tried the monster heel beating
    him with Kane and not only could they not bring themselves to give Kane a clean win, his win only lasted 24 hours.

The build up to Summerslam 98 was strange as well, with the audience not really wanting to see a bad ass Undertaker as a threat to Stone Cold.

The truth is Stone Cold was at his best when raging against the system and taking on cowardly heels. Dr Death just wouldn't have worked against a peak stone cold in my opinion.

EDIT Just on Bart Gunn winning, perhaps it was just me but even as a kid I was well impressed. I remember trying to convince my brothers who were boxers and who no interest in wrestling that Bart Gunn was for real. Maybe that was just me though but I don't buy Cornette or JR saying there was no where to go with Bart. They just weren't arsed in trying.

The best I could have seen would be that Dr. Death got Bossman's spot as enforcer for The Corporation and been this guy who would beat up on and get beaten up by Stone Cold, but as far as a main event run that would have made the company 5 million dollars? Nah.

Bart Gunn seemed like a decent guy from the doc, but he hadn't the charisma to capitalise on the win and go to bigger and better things. I have to say, though, I can get into the Brawl for All as an underdog story where no-one gave Gunn a chance against Doctor Death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I feel like the only dr. Death would work with stone cold was jr

Have started to look at Old Raws from 98 and happened to pick the Raw after KOTR as a starting point, which just so happened to have the first brawl for all bout between Mero and Blackman.

What an absolute sh1t show, Blackman looked embarrassed to be involved while Mero look to cop on fairly sharply that he had made a big mistake. Poor fcuker looked shell-shocked. :pac:

Back to the real dark of of the ring with the next episode.

Jimmy Snuka and the death of Nancy Argentino.

Back to the real dark of of the ring with the next episode.

Jimmy Snuka and the death of Nancy Argentino.

Oh good because WWE needs a bit of good publicity so here's the episode that Snuka claimed vince had a briefcase entering the police station and didn't leave with it. Good man jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How episodes in the season left ??

Is Owen Hart the last episode

PTH2009 wrote: »

The Owen hart one is last and there's the snuka one and there's a road warriors one which is meant to be very good. There is a Dr D David Shultz who slapped John stossel backstage at the garden and he sued WWE and apparently there is new interviews with both. There is a herb Abrams one which if you don't know the story you'll love it. How he died was an bizarre as anything. It involves oil and prostitutes. Theres a Dino bravo one which should be good.

PTH2009 wrote: »

10 episodes in the second season.

I’d imagine they will finish with a double episode on Owen Hart to bookend the double episode they opened with.

Snuka next week then the following weeks episode is.....

The Assassination of Dino Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Final Bell on Wrestlelamia is pretty good and similar to this series

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMeSnscTzFCmS50NhQalxcVkS8irtwXfK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

The Snuka episode seemed lame.

• Advertisement

It wasn't great really.

Advertisement