Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to an electric car driver

• 07-04-2020 5:53pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next guest has been an EV driver for the last 6 years and says he would never go back.
    We are a 2 EV household with one long range and one short range car. We are hoping to upgrade the shorter range car this year. There is a different driving experience with an EV, not better or worse than an ICE car just different, coupled with massive savings. We've been all over Ireland in the long range car without any issues.

If you have any questions about driving or owning an electric car, ask them here :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

What charger did you get installed at your house and why are they such a rip off?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Do you find the battery life/range deteriorating with age?

What's the long range you mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Are you mainly charging at home, And have you had many bad experiences at public chargers with people hogging the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Cool, I'm waiting now to see who it is, lol.

I've been an EV driver nearly 5 years too and also could never go back.

Watching...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

DrPhilG wrote: »

Watching...

No revealing of identity allowed....but I am sure we can guess :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Not me, I don't really keep up to date with the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Mines a multi-part question - hope that's ok :)

Are you allowed to tell us which make/models you have and if you have preference?

Also in relation to long range, do you drive long distance on a continuous/frequent basis,
    If so what type of distance and how frequently would you have to charge do you get?

Do you have the cars long enough that you seen or noticed any performance/battery degradation etc ?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Every year, the evs come out with better and better spec. Do you feel they are now at a spec where they suit pretty much everyone?

How bad is the Irish EV infrastructure? Its the biggest blocker to me about getting an EV.

Do you think the price out weighs the benefits still? They seem super expensive. Do you think they are affordable to Joe average?

What is something about Evs you've had that you dislike in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

Are there any weather or driving conditions where you feel let down by the EV?

Have you had to adjust/cancel potential journeys due to range?

If an EV could have one new major upgrade what would you choose (besides battery life)?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 22 Verified rep I'm an EV driver, AMA

Thanks Niamh. :-) Will start answering this morning.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Have you done a "pay back" analysis as to when you will break even in comparison to a similar ICE car... And if so, can you share those calcs here?

What is the one huge plus you find, and what is the one major negative?

earlyapex wrote: »
    What charger did you get installed at your house and why are they such a rip off?

The charger we have outside is a 7kW EV box. Very small, secure and slender unit. The beauty of it is that its card operated. We live in a duplex and we had to have permission to install it.... long process so it had to be small.

As for them being a rip off. On an overall price basis hard to disagree. There has been much talk about this on a lot of the forums. Best thing you can do is shop around, do not take the first price you get. I found the one that shouts the loudest is also the most expensive and in the end quantity does not equal quality. The units themselves are not massively expensive, depending on the amount of quality / control you want.

Go onto every form you can and ask as many questions as you can about them. Some suggestions would be....

1. Is it secure / easy to break into? would it require modification, for instance, one example I can think of, having to change the screws to be secure?
    2. What are peoples experience with them. Do they burn out easily? Are they reliable?
    3. What level of control do they have?
    4. Whats the warranty on them?
    5. Is it being installed by the contractor or a subcontractor? (This is relevant to question 4)
    6. Lastly whats peoples experience on price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Does your range suffer when you have the air con on?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

How much was the long range car (approx is fine)

If electric didn't exist would you have spend the same amount of money on a ICE car?

irishejit wrote: »
    Do you find the battery life/range deteriorating with age?

Bottom line on this is yes but the way I look at that is the same happens in a car, wear and tear, lower fuel efficiency etc.

We had an older leaf (13) which only gave 80km (About) at the end of its time. But now we have 2 Ioniqs which offer anywhere between 2 -300Km range depending on a lot of factors. Last battery measurement on both gave very little degradation on the battery.

Augeo wrote: »
    What's the long range you mention?

2 - 280 Km (X2) Ioniqs Depending on time of year, weather etc... Funny enough found it to be wide and varied.

johnayo wrote: »
    Are you mainly charging at home, And have you had many bad experiences at public chargers with people hogging the space.

We are both in the fortunate position to have a mix of where we can charge. Home, work and on public chargers. There is a long history of issues with hogging and yes I have had a bad experience with very inconsiderate people.

There is an app you can use to help alleviate this, I would recommend it to all drivers called "need to charge". Its a great idea, so that when cars are done and people don't realise they can can be called back. Its a simple app. No numbers or anything are exchanged, just registration. If your an EV driver look it up.

DrPhilG wrote: »

Watching...

;-) Good luck Phil

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I am Batman :):p:):eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Pablod wrote: »
    Mines a multi-part question - hope that's ok :)

Are you allowed to tell us which make/models you have and if you have preference?

Also in relation to long range, do you drive long distance on a continuous/frequent basis,
    If so what type of distance and how frequently would you have to charge do you get?

Do you have the cars long enough that you seen or noticed any performance/battery degradation etc ?

Thanks in advance

Hi thanks for the question.
    At the moment I think my preference is for the KIA Nero but that only because it fits my needs and its on my shopping list this year. In saying that I have only chosen that based on 3 criteria. Cost, range and capacity.

The older Ioniq we have is a 171 and has 70K Km on the clock. So, do I do a lot of milage, I would consider it to be so but to some people that would be nothing. On that one I haven't noticed that much of a reduction on the battery, its still working well and giving 200+ in winter driving.

The old leaf (Gone now only just) had a big reduction but at the same time it had plateaued.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

earlyapex wrote: »

Like everything out there, it’s only a rip off of you go shopping blind.
    There’s a €600 grant which if used correctly, can be more than you need.

I bought my 32a charger for €200. Paid €70 on wiring and 40a RCBO.
    Ran the cable from fuse board to charger location.

Got a sparks to connect to fuse board and connect to chat point in side entrance. He asked for €70. I gave him €200. Total outlay €370. Then €600 grant back :)

manonboard wrote: »
    Every year, the evs come out with better and better spec. Do you feel they are now at a spec where they suit pretty much everyone?

Almost, its not quite there yet but getting there.

How bad is the Irish EV infrastructure? Its the biggest blocker to me about getting an EV.

Still bad but getting better. There are private companies starting to come and schemes by, for example EV box, where community schemes are coming on stream. As the numbers grow this will have to change.

Do you think the price out weighs the benefits still? They seem super expensive. Do you think they are affordable to Joe average?

It's in my bio line, I would never go back. Cost of maintenace, running (Fuel) and Tax/ insurance blows an ICE vehicle away. With the longer range cars coming in this will only get better.

What is something about Evs you've had that you dislike in general?

Inabilty to tow. There is only one out there at the moment that can and that's wwwaaaayyyy outside of my price range. (Tesla Model X)

Gru wrote: »
    Are there any weather or driving conditions where you feel let down by the EV?

Have you had to adjust/cancel potential journeys due to range?

If an EV could have one new major upgrade what would you choose (besides battery life)?

Weather does effect range on an EV but the funny thing is so does it on an ICE. Where the difference lies is the range, an ICE can go further currently so you notice it more in an EV.

Never had to cancel a journey due to weather, why would I or any EV driver? Only reason ever was to do with the infrastructure.... That has let me down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Our next purchase will be a Kia Niro.

I note that you've bought at least 2 EVs in 6 years and are now considering a new one again.

Does this not run against sustainability principles?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Have you done a "pay back" analysis as to when you will break even in comparison to a similar ICE car... And if so, can you share those calcs here?

What is the one huge plus you find, and what is the one major negative?

Cost analysis yes we did, particularly when buying new. Ill look it up and post it.

Huge plus is cost, minus..... the infrastructure.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Our next purchase will be a Kia Niro.

I note that you've bought at least 2 EVs in 6 years and are now considering a new one again.

Does this not run against sustainability principles?

One second hand, other new. The plan is to keep the new one for 7 years and the next new one for the same approximate period (Depending on market)

Bottom line, yes. some of the cars don't have this issue if there is a heat pump installed and the loss in range will depend on the state of the heat pump. Is it at full capacity (Small loss) low capacity (Large loss) but again this is no different to an ICE car.

How much was the long range car (approx is fine)

If electric didn't exist would you have spend the same amount of money on a ICE car?

Actual spend new was 27K, 19k for second hand version. To your second question new yes I would, second hand hard to say. That's like comparing apples and oranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Actual spend new was 27K, 19k for second hand version. To your second question new yes I would, second hand hard to say. That's like comparing apples and oranges.

Reason I was asking is that if you are spending approx same money , then electric saves you money.
    If you were spending say 10 grand extra on electric then majority of people wouldn't be making savings

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement