Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now ye're talking - to an electric car driver

2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If you could change one thing about EV driving in Ireland, what would it be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But Im not an ICE driver, haven't been for years. :-)

Well I had hoped you'd not spread FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt - common lobbyist tactic regardless of fact) about any form of power generation, seeing as though FUD is so commonly employed against EVs.
    On Moneypoint, there is the lipservice to the media and what is practical for the network. Currently it is not viable to get rid of it and wont be for a long time to come.

It's not being got rid of (yet) but it's not being used much, either. The point is that one of the common FUD points against EVs (they're fuelled by nasty coal burning Moneypoint) is not true. Especially at night when most EVs charge, wind is a huge contributor to the grid.
    But I am not here to talk about generation or grid stuff. I am here to talk about EVs :-)

Generation and grid are used, or misused, as sticks to beat EV adoption with. Some potential adopters will be swayed by that, others will only consider the practicalities of ownership and costs and that is fine. Some EV owners are evangelists, some are practicalists, neither of them is wrong, but everyone needs to be aware of the myths touted as fact by vested interests, and FUD from motoring journalists who are often both ignorant and invested in the status quo.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

How much in total have you spent on cars in the last 5 years just in purchase price alone of cars?

Only asking because any EV owners I know dont realize actually how much they are spending on cars and tend to spend a lot more on them than the average family. Forever upgrading and spending more money on top.

Whereas if you take us for example we have changed both cars once in the last 5 years at a cost of €10k plus €3k tradeins so €13k altogether.

My friend Bought a new Nissan Leaf for about €35K 5 years ago, then traded it in for an electric Kona last year. Not sure what extra he paid but well over €20k and now he wants to trade that up to a Tesla. And thats not even including that his wife now wants an electric Kona too. She has an 8 year old Prius at the moment, so hasnt changed in the last 5 years so not counting that. I figure in the last 5 years he has spent over 50K on his has alone, never mind after they make their next change and the wife gets hers too. Eye watering.

He justifies it by saying how much he got in grants and saves in tax and fuel etc. Its nowhere near his up front spend cost. And the figures he paid are after grants were applied.

So in purchase price of cars im curious as to what has your family spent in the last 5 years?

• Moderators Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

JimmyVik wrote: »
    How much in total have you spent on cars in the last 5 years just in purchase price alone of cars?

Only asking because any EV owners I know dont realize actually how much they are spending on cars and tend to spend a lot more on them than the average family. Forever upgrading and spending more money on top.

Whereas if you take us for example we have changed both cars once in the last 5 years at a cost of €10k plus €3k tradeins so €13k altogether.

My friend Bought a new Nissan Leaf for about €35K 5 years ago, then traded it in for an electric Kona last year. Not sure what extra he paid but well over €20k and now he wants to trade that up to a Tesla. And thats not even including that his wife now wants an electric Kona too. She has an 8 year old Prius at the moment, so hasnt changed in the last 5 years so not counting that. I figure in the last 5 years he has spent over 50K on his has alone, never mind after they make their next change and the wife gets hers too. Eye watering.

He justifies it by saying how much he got in grants and saves in tax and fuel etc. Its nowhere near his up front spend cost. And the figures he paid are after grants were applied.

So in purchase price of cars im curious as to what has your family spent in the last 5 years?

Likely the same question would apply to any car owner. Some people just renew their cars frequently, so it's not an EV centric issue. They do cost more than ICE cars though, so that is a factor.

FWIW, last year I had owned my old Passat for 7 years and planned on spending about 20k+ on a new car. I didn't know what that car was, but I knew that price would get me something relatively new, pretty nice, and a few new toys too. When I realised all my options were diesel, and my mileage is tiny (commute is like 6km) I started checking out electric. Got a 2017 ioniq for 23k about a year ago. That's in around what I was planning on spending anyways, full of new toys, a game changer in driving comfort and saving about a grand annually Vs the Passat.

13000km since I bought it, and my charge point at the house says I've used 1100 kWh @~9cent in that time = €100 on fuel. 120 on tax. Due a service soon, but thinking that'll be <€100. About €50 spent charging on the public systems. Thems my expenses for a year.

Likely the same question would apply to any car owner. Some people just renew their cars frequently, so it's not an EV centric issue. They do cost more than ICE cars though, so that is a factor.

FWIW, last year I had owned my old Passat for 7 years and planned on spending about 20k+ on a new car. I didn't know what that car was, but I knew that price would get me something relatively new, pretty nice, and a few new toys too. When I realised all my options were diesel, and my mileage is tiny (commute is like 6km) I started checking out electric. Got a 2017 ioniq for 23k about a year ago. That's in around what I was planning on spending anyways, full of new toys, a game changer in driving comfort and saving about a grand annually Vs the Passat.

13000km since I bought it, and my charge point at the house says I've used 1100 kWh @~9cent in that time = €100 on fuel. 120 on tax. Due a service soon, but thinking that'll be <€100. About €50 spent charging on the public systems. Thems my expenses for a year.

What I mean is that I have a quite a few friends who are now EV people which is good and I probably will go that route myself. But when I compare what they spend on cars now to what they have over the years it is huge. 300 - 400% more since they went electric.

Once they would have been happy with 10K every 3 years or so. Now its a new car every 3 years, or a VERY expensive second hand EV for 2 years. Their spending has skyrocketed. OK so theyve cheaper fuel and tax, but not nearly as much as the extra they are paying upfront with their new "hobby". The numbers are frightening.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Mod: Just a reminder that if you would like to discuss electric vehicles and your own thoughts or experiences, please visit the dedicated forum: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1634. If you'd like to ask our AMA guest their opinions and experiences (which may differ from someone else's or indeed from your own), then this is the thread for that.

Mod: Just a reminder that if you would like to discuss electric vehicles and your own thoughts or experiences, please visit the dedicated forum: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1634. If you'd like to ask our AMA guest their opinions and experiences (which may differ from someone else's or indeed from your own), then this is the thread for that.

Very sorry. I thought it was the OP who answered my question so i was just clarifying it to him what i meant in the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Today newbie when it comes to electric cars, say I'm visiting a friend/relative down the country from charge points, can I bring a plug and charge there? Is it that frowned upon with electric Cost, running cable from house etc?

WTF happened this AMA????

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

youngblood wrote: »
    WTF happened this AMA????

I guess the battery died :pac:

I'll check in with the OP and see if it's done or if he has time to come back and reply to the last few posts. Thanks for the reminder, youngblood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

youngblood wrote: »
    Today newbie when it comes to electric cars, say I'm visiting a friend/relative down the country from charge points, can I bring a plug and charge there? Is it that frowned upon with electric Cost, running cable from house etc?

Yes it's called a "granny cable" and goes into any ordinary socket. If they don't have an outdoor socket you'd have to run the cable through a window. Cost would be roughly 50c per hour on standard rate electricity.

Scrap the cap!

Yes it's called a "granny cable" and goes into any ordinary socket. If they don't have an outdoor socket you'd have to run the cable through a window. Cost would be roughly 50c per hour on standard rate electricity.

Thank you!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I guess the battery died :pac:

I'll check in with the OP and see if it's done or if he has time to come back and reply to the last few posts. Thanks for the reminder, youngblood.

Ok unfortunately it's time to close this one up. Thanks for the questions and answers all.

If anyone wants to talk further about electric cars or hybrids, we have a dedicated forum with a very knowledgeable bunch of regulars here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1634

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement