Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A lot of foreigners were here 10 years, made a good life here and still left in the great recession. Many of them even had good jobs, professionals that thought themselves safe enough - but the rot spread from construction and development through the whole economy.

Many wealthy will stay here, and indeed many will take advantage of a looser market, but it's those on precarious employment and students that are difference between under and over supply. Small percentages under/over equilibrium have a dramatic impact on price. It's why you see €5k/month airbnbs for 50% on daft and he won't even get that - it will remain vacant.

Ireland is now multicultural and diverse society. Its not the same place to was 10 years ago never mind 20. The Ireland you think exists is long gone.

Actually the rot started with banks uncontrolled borrowing and lending that the Govt though warned, Ignored.

People on low wages or students are not renting expensive apartments or buying property. Even once the world recovers, they still won't be.
    dubstepper wrote: »
    Think the horse has bolted on selling up to buy later.

Last time it took almost two decades to go full cycle. All that time people are buying and selling. This idea that the market just stops makes no sense. You can't buy your cheap property unless someone sells (or builds) it first. Chicken and egg. We are a few months into this crisis, by your logic we should be a rock bottom a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Ap2020 wrote: »
    Many of the workers here from Brazil are here on study visas, they will not have any access to social welfare while on a study visa where they are a non EEA national.

While I agree a few are likely to leave - let's be honest here, when the rental sector was on its knees last time round, the government were actively turning a blind eye to the Brazilians and their English language schools, to keep accomodation filled.

Everybody (and the government) knew the English language schools were just a shady way of getting a 20 hour work visa. It's only when we started running short on rental property that they started cracking down.

If things do take a serious turn in the rental sector, the government are going to turn a blind eye again to prevent making things worse.

Dont underestimate how many Brazilians live in Dublin city centre, probably half are illegal and have no intention of ever leaving.

Compared to a lot of other nationalities, I think everyone agrees they would rather have tens of thousands of Brazilians around rather than tens of thousands of certain other nationalities who dont integrate like the Brazilians do.

I've never heard many complaints about them, in comparison to other minority nationalities in Ireland. They dont cause trouble really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭IndieRoar111

After basically walking anyway from a sale at a decent reduction of the asking price over 3 weeks ago, the EA phoned us today saying the seller is willing to play ball at 10k lower than the initial reduced bid. We are still not going for it, will wait and see how the markets performs over the next 6-18 months.

To provide some value to the thread, a couple my husband knows bid on a house in D7 last week at 50k under asking and the offer was accepted. House was within the 375-400k range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

After basically walking anyway from a sale at a decent reduction of the asking price over 3 weeks ago, the EA phoned us today saying the seller is willing to play ball at 10k lower than the initial reduced bid. We are still not going for it, will wait and see how the markets performs over the next 6-18 months.

Wow. That’s mad. Where selling & buying at the min. We haven’t been asked to reduce our asking price.

• Advertisement

dor843088 wrote: »
    So a fall of 15k on a 300k house ? That's optimistic for sure. Think theres sale agreed folk who have already negotiated more than that off previously agreed figures .

15k is very conservative, we know of buyers who have negotiated higher reductions this month and we ain't seen nothing yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

To provide some value to the thread, a couple my husband knows bid on a house in D7 last week at 50k under asking and the offer was accepted. House was within the 375-400k range.
    Holy jayzus. :eek:

I'm looking in Dublin 7 around this price range.
    Does the house need much work?
    Most of the houses I am looking at need 60-80k work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Can also add to this.

We have pulled out of all properties we've been bidding on.

One EA kept following up as all other bidders have clearly fallen off a cliff.

We had bid asking initially and were prepared to go higher by potentially another 5-10%; after some negotiating we've managed to get them down 20k from asking (closer to 6%).

Have some thinking to do to decide if we pull the trigger......

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Can also add to this.

We had bid asking initially and were prepared to go higher by potentially another 5-10%; after some negotiating we've managed to get them down 20k from asking (closer to 6%).

6% is not bad. Loads to think about. If you can get more go for it.

Are you in stable employment? Will you get a mortgage in 12/18 months time? Where you're renting is there a possibiity of owner sayin they want their house back? Will property prices come down 10% or more within 12/18 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭JamesMason

voluntary wrote: »
    My bet for residential properties in dublin 12 months from now:

- Affordable housing < 250k 10% drop
    - around 300k 15% drop
    - over 400k 20% drop
    My bet/hope:
    Operators with 3 bed semis converted into 4 Airbnb "units", and bunkbed/corridor bedroom Petri dish hovels, to **** themselves underwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

Where abouts was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

15k is very conservative, we know of buyers who have negotiated higher reductions this month and we ain't seen nothing yet!

Havent heard many reductions in dublin? Sitting on contracts now and going to try knock a few bob off in a few weeks. Think the longer I leave it the better chance we could have

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Havent heard many reductions in dublin? Sitting on contracts now and going to try knock a few bob off in a few weeks. Think the longer I leave it the better chance we could have

Was going to say the same.

Would be interested to hear how buyers who were sale agreed had gotten on with trying to negotiate a reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Can also add to this.

How many properties were you bidding on at the same time?

To those who think it's all doom and gloom and that jobs and businesses will be irrecoverably lost, why do you think that a new business won't open in place of the old, assuming the old was profitable prior to the pandemic?

If your fears are true then there is a killing to be made by anyone with money by simply reopening closed businesses and hiring all the staff back... Which makes no sense.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You're trying to tell us that your vendor drove their own price down? This is not how it works IndieRoar, vendors don't come back with lower offers than what you offered. This is definitely another one of those things that exists only in your head.

The guy I met in Lidl yesterday was telling me that his wife's best friend's cousin paid 50k over asking just yesterday for a 1 bed in Jobstown.

This couple doesn't exist.

Of course you do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

GreeBo wrote: »
    How many properties were you bidding on at the same time?

To those who think it's all doom and gloom and that jobs and businesses will be irrecoverably lost, why do you think that a new business won't open in place of the old, assuming the old was profitable prior to the pandemic?

If your fears are true then there is a killing to be made by anyone with money by simply reopening closed businesses and hiring all the staff back... Which makes no sense.

Because it takes capital to open businesses. The economy will come back, but no one knows how bad the damage will be and the healing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

GreeBo wrote: »

Because the ESRI and many others said so. They kinda know what they are talking about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s mad that one minute your need a house so are at viewings and the next, you can wait 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Only starting to save for a deposit, living at home and thankfully a decent job that's reasonably Covidproof so I reckon I could be looking to buy in 16-18 months.

In terms of where the market is then my best judgement is it won't be down hugely given demand but if it's true banks are no longer offering exemptions that alone will change the dynamic. It will compress more and more people into that 275-350 space and maybe keep this segment strong while weakening the slightly more expensive units.

If the economy doesn't re-emerge well from Covid we could well see substantial falls but people in this thread saying things like "there's no way it goes down more than 10%" or "You're mad if you don't think prices are going to fall a quarter" are clearly pulling figures out of their árses because there's no precedent for this. Nobody knows with any confidence so stop pretending you do because conversely pretending you know what you're talking about just proves you don't know what you're talking about.

As JP Morgan said to someone who asked him what the market was going to do next, "it's going to fluctuate".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Nobody knows with any confidence so stop pretending you do because conversely pretending you know what you're talking about just proves you don't know what you're talking about.

As JP Morgan said to someone who asked him what the market was going to do next, "it's going to fluctuate".

While you are right that nobody knows with a confidence. But as investing in stocks for the last 18 years, and following Property market all that time. I can say from experience, its way easier to predict property market , GDP, unemployment and etc.., in comparison to stocks or currency. I would say that you can not predict stock market for short term, as any minor news can have swing in price within a minute, but you do can predict property market, although not with certainty, as things like for example new banking regulation rules can make a big difference..
    Property is very illiquid when compared to stocks. There are limited buyers and sellers for each unit, thus creating enough time to recognize when things are starting to go one way or another.

Marius34 wrote: »
    While you are right that nobody knows with a confidence. But as investing in stocks for the last 18 years, and following Property market. I can say from experience, its way easier to predict property market, in comparison to stocks or currency. I would say that you can not predict stock market for short term, as any minor news can have swing price within a minute, but you do can predict property market, although not with certainty, as things like for example new banking regulation rules can make a big difference..
    Property is very illiquid when compared to stocks. There are limited buyers and sellers for each unit, thus creating enough time to recognize when things are starting to go one way or another.

And in this particular situation nobody has any idea what this crisis is going to do to the economy and as a result the buyer side of the market, none whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

You're correct in the obvious that no-one knows the future in certainty, but we can use evidence drawn from experts and observing what has happened before to make educated guesses at what we believe will happen and compare reasoning.

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    You're correct in the obvious that no-one knows the future in certainty, but we can use evidence drawn from experts and observing what has happened before to make educated guesses at what we believe will happen and compare reasoning.

What happened the property market after the last global pandemic during which we put the economy into an induced coma? and you don't get to know how long the coma lasts yet.

There is no what happened before for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

What happened the property market after the last global pandemic during which we put the economy into an induced coma? and you don't get to know how long the coma lasts yet.

There is no what happened before for this.
    How the 1918 Spanish flu effected different cities in the United States is an interesting example of how social distancing policies can effect the pandemic and economies as each state had different policies on how to deal with it - St Louis and Philadelphia are usually cited as opposing examples here if you care to search for it.

We can also see how the former epicentre of the pandemic is handling its economic recovery in real time - the Financial Times has an interesting piece on Wuhan economic activity compared to this time last year, including property sales.

There is definitely uncertainty there, as is obvious, but we have the knowledge to make reasonable guesses as to what we think will happen and this is not baseless.

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    How the 1918 Spanish flu effected different cities in the United States is an interesting example of how social distancing policies can effect the pandemic and economies as each state had different policies on how to deal with it - St Louis and Philadelphia are usually cited as opposing examples here if you care to search for it.

We can also see how the former epicentre of the pandemic is handling its economic recovery in real time - the Financial Times has an interesting piece on Wuhan economic activity compared to this time last year, including property sales.

There is definitely uncertainty there, as is obvious, but we have the knowledge to make reasonable guesses as to what we think will happen and this is not baseless.

Half of Spanish Flu victims were between 20-40 and society wide property ownership was much lower than it is today. Covid seems to be fairly selective in terms of age and older people are, generally speaking, homeowners. The entire supply side dynamic is not comparable at all.

On the demand side the Spanish Flu is 100 years ago, far more people still working the land where social distancing is much easier than office working. Among a million other things it's too late to start into typing.

I would have serious question marks over how relevant the experience after Spanish flu is to this tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

mcbert wrote: »
    I'm not going to pick the facts that suit me and ignore the ones that don't, here at least, so without providing any proof, I'm expecting some disappointment here in some months when a combination of 1) prices don't drop as far as expected, 2) if they do drop, they may not for that long, 3) if prices drop, availability may reduce, so many still won't find their dream home, 4) even if dream home found at affordable price, credit may be less available.

Im going with Mcbert on this. I feel exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

And in this particular situation nobody has any idea what this crisis is going to do to the economy and as a result the buyer side of the market, none whatsoever.

You do can have some estimate on the economy in short/medium term. It will negatively impact property price, GDP, Unemployment etc. at least in short term.
    You can not say the same about the future of stocks, as stocks value gets calculated in, all the expected impact, within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

JamesMason wrote: »
    My bet/hope:
    Operators with 3 bed semis converted into 4 Airbnb "units", and bunkbed/corridor bedroom Petri dish hovels, to **** themselves underwater.

Envy is one of the Seven deadly sins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Laughable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement