Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 11, 11 Max/Pro, 11R

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Lot of insurance talk, are the new models flaky or is that just precaution given the cost? Probably for another thread though...

Am looking to buy a bill pay iPhone 11 Pro, ideally 512GB but carriers here don’t seem to do that, so 256GB at least, any colour (1st choice would be green, then silver, grey, gold). Moving from Three and thinking Vodafone Red Max as I do a lot of travel for work and it’s a pay it yourself and expense it setup for the next few months at least. Eir seem to have a good 70eur option too.

Carphone Warehouse only seem to have 64GB in stock and getting through to Vodafone stores phones is just tricky and the pay to collect option on the website just keeps getting stuck in an uncaught exception.

Any tips for finding who has it in stock? Am visiting US next week, though given the high bill pay option I’m going for wasn’t planning on buying it outright, is that something I should reconsider?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lot of insurance talk, are the new models flaky or is that just precaution given the cost? Probably for another thread though...

Am looking to buy a bill pay iPhone 11 Pro, ideally 512GB but carriers here don’t seem to do that, so 256GB at least, any colour (1st choice would be green, then silver, grey, gold). Moving from Three and thinking Vodafone Red Max as I do a lot of travel for work and it’s a pay it yourself and expense it setup for the next few months at least. Eir seem to have a good 70eur option too.

Carphone Warehouse only seem to have 64GB in stock and getting through to Vodafone stores phones is just tricky and the pay to collect option on the website just keeps getting stuck in an uncaught exception.

Any tips for finding who has it in stock? Am visiting US next week, though given the high bill pay option I’m going for wasn’t planning on buying it outright, is that something I should reconsider?

I got the 256GB on Vodafone. Unless you’re taking a serious amount of videos without regularly backing up the 512GB is probably overkill. I used to always go for the higher amount of storage as I had a lot of music stored on my phone but with the likes of Spotify it clears a lot of space.

I went with Vodafone RED Connect €60 p/m. I was an existing payg customer. The pay and collect option on their website is terrible, I was having awful problems with it. I just rang the 1907 number and got through to their customer service and bought it through them. For some reason the upfront cost was €50 cheaper. They pretty much had all the sizes/models in stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

kceire wrote: »
    Most are shops in town.
    Grey imports from countries with lower vat rates etc
    I’ve bought a few and iPads over the years without issue.

Try buy from one of the bigger names. Mr.iPhone has been arums a long time now.

Cool anything I need to on the look out for?

Blacklisting? Camera shutter working silently..

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I got the 256GB on Vodafone. Unless you’re taking a serious amount of videos without regularly backing up the 512GB is probably overkill. I used to always go for the higher amount of storage as I had a lot of music stored on my phone but with the likes of Spotify it clears a lot of space.

I went with Vodafone RED Connect €60 p/m. I was an existing payg customer. The pay and collect option on their website is terrible, I was having awful problems with it. I just rang the 1907 number and got through to their customer service and bought it through them. For some reason the upfront cost was €50 cheaper. They pretty much had all the sizes/models in stock too.

Tried calling the 1907 number but as I'm not a current Vodafone customer, can't get through to anyone. Tried calling a few Vodaone stores and all say mailbox is full, noone answering the phone. Tried searching for a sales number a non-customer can use, couldn't find one. Don't have time to be going calling into random stores to see if they have stock...any better way for finding out where they might have stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So the sellers/shops on adverts.ie selling the base iPhone 11 for €729 are they importing from China? Most are factory sealed and say there is 1 year apple warranty but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with buying these grey market iPhones? Are there bands missing? Those apple warranty actually work over here or will they say only for China?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So the sellers/shops on adverts.ie selling the base iPhone 11 for €729 are they importing from China? Most are factory sealed and say there is 1 year apple warranty but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with buying these grey market iPhones? Are there bands missing? Those apple warranty actually work over here or will they say only for China?

Yes if you read the thread.
    I’ve bought phones and iPads throughout the years without hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Apologies if already answered ..

I’m finding on my iPhone 11 that when joining wifi networks, while it seems to connect, the pages aren’t loading or I am getting “This Connection Is Not Private”

Some of these wifi networks would require you to sign in / register and on previous apple devices would automatically redirect me to said log in when wifi connection established.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

PopTarts wrote: »
    Apologies if already answered ..

I’m finding on my iPhone 11 that when joining wifi networks, while it seems to connect, the pages aren’t loading or I am getting “This Connection Is Not Private”

Some of these wifi networks would require you to sign in / register and on previous apple devices would automatically redirect me to said log in when wifi connection established.

Any ideas?

Thanks

When you connect to the network, seelct the blue i icon and then go to "Forget network"

Then turn off wifi and attempt to connect again. The iOs captive system sucks.

I don’t think I changed anything but just in case, any reason why my main camera constantly says ‘move closer’ at the top of the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I don’t think I changed anything but just in case, any reason why my main camera constantly says ‘move closer’ at the top of the screen?

It’s in portrait photo mode and is trying to detect an object to be able to blur the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Completely out of the loop here so this may be a stupid question!

Is there an actual brick and mortar shop that sells a sim free iPhone 11? Keen to try an Apple device after being a lifelong Android user. I have a One4All voucher that I'd like to put towards it.

Had a look on Carphone Warehouse but they don't seem to sell it sim free.

I always buy on Adverts, after 5 years with a 6s plus I picked up a sealed, unlocked, 64g 11 for €600 the other day and got €130 for my 6s. Needless to say I’m like a pig in the proverbial... Jumped from Three to Eir 2 years ago, €20 payg, never had an issue. Roaming in Italy, London and Mallorca last summer was exceptional, all data and calls made and received came out of my allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Back in the day I bought an iPhone 5. Came sealed in the box. Apple warranty was about 4 months.
    Turns out everything excluding the phone was actually counterfeit. The print material, the charging cable, plus and headphones.
    Never actually went back with it. Never had any problems with the phone. Lasted years.

Don’t know what the craic is with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Is there any slim, clear cover for iPhone 11 (standard) with a built-in dust cap/plug for the charger port?

I've had them on nearly all my previous phones and loved them but I can't seem to find them anywhere bar this one - here - which would be too big/thick.

I'm looking for something like this- herec - but for my phone.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Been using my iphone 6 for nearly 7 years now. Time for a change. Thinking of making the jump to the 128GB purple iphone 11 but don't see it in stock anywhere online and asked in vodafone the other day and they only had the 64GB in black or white. Surprising to me considering its the newest model I thought they'd have all the different ones. Has anyone seen it in stock in any phone shops/websites here?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I got a black iPhone 11 (128gb) about 2 weeks ago from Vodafone.

Moving up from a 7 was a big jump!

Also got a work iPhone XR the week before, moving up from a 6.

So when someone asks me is that 2 big huge iPhones in my pocket or am I just happy to see them, it’s 2 huge iPhones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

am i the only one who is underwhelmed with the 11 pro max ???

moved from a 7 + to this and feel flat tbh

battery life is amazing i'll say that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Got my Pro Max since Christmas Day and the Battery Health has dropped to 99%. Would that be pretty much normal for an iPhone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

pad199207 wrote: »
    Got my Pro Max since Christmas Day and the Battery Health has dropped to 99%. Would that be pretty much normal for an iPhone ?

I got mine October pro max, i’m at 92%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Got my pro max the end of october, 100% Health. Wirelessly charge it each night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I got mine October pro max, i’m at 92%

Replaced my launch day X with the 11 pro in October and the X was just then at 91%. New one is still 100%. Are you fast charging constantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

Got my 11 Pro Max at the end of November 2019, and it's already down to 96 per cent battery health. Not ideal. I think I probably charge it too much. I have a wireless charger on my desk and it generally sits there until it's full and I rarely let it get below 70 or 80 per cent. Probably not ideal for the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Got my 11 Pro Max at the end of November 2019, and it's already down to 96 per cent battery health. Not ideal. I think I probably charge it too much. I have a wireless charger on my desk and it generally sits there until it's full and I rarely let it get below 70 or 80 per cent. Probably not ideal for the battery.

I don’t charge mine overnight. I charge it in the morning to about 80% then take it off. By bedtime it’s down to around 15% and leave it at that until the next morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Enable optimised battery charging if it isn't already, but it's probably not designed for the way you charge your phone. Best thing would be to only charge at night or when it goes below 20 percent.

I got mine last year (11) and it’s surprisingly on 100% despite being plugged in for CarPlay loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

11 Pro got at launch at 94%. I charge terribly though.

* phone charged every night with supplied 18w charger (Optimised battery charging is enabled)
    * charged wirelessly in the car
    * charged via airplane seats for 10+ hour flights taken every 2~ weeks (before COVID-19).

Tbh I don't really care, by the time it gets to replacing this phone it'll be at the 80% mark where it actually really has an affect on performance. If I decide to sell on or give to family member I'll just replace the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I intend to upgrade from an iPhone 7 (128 GB). Three have a seemingly good bill pay offer for an iPhone 11 (64 GB). I am a little concerned about the reduced storage however I have only used up 54 GB of storage on my iPhone 7 in three and a half years. I don’t typically take too many photographs. The biggest storage drain is my podcast app but the app is set so as to only retain the three most recent episodes from any show. How many GBs of a new iPhone are already used up when you receive for the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I intend to upgrade from an iPhone 7 (128 GB). Three have a seemingly good bill pay offer for an iPhone 11 (64 GB). I am a little concerned about the reduced storage however I have only used up 54 GB of storage on my iPhone 7 in three and a half years. I don’t typically take too many photographs. The biggest storage drain is my podcast app but the app is set so as to only retain the three most recent episodes from any show. How many GBs of a new iPhone are already used up when you receive for the first time?

For my 11 Pro Max 64GB, 7.2GB was taken up. I have the 50GB of icloud storage for 99c a month and its well worth it. Over 1000 songs, 2900 pics and videos and 100+ apps yet I still have 25gb free on my phone. The 50GB icloud storage is well worth it compared to forking out more money for the 128gb

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have always gone with the highest amount of storage available as I used to keep a lot of music on my iPhone and take a lot of pictures. I got an 11 Pro 256G this time and with the advent of Spotify and iCloud storage the additional storage was a waste of money.

May come in handy if on holidays and I take a load of extra pics/videos or download a load of videos from the likes of Netflix but probably not likely. At present I still have +200GB available. :rolleyes:

Every couple of months I back up pics from iCloud which is necessary to have enough space for back up.

Actually on the above, does anybody know if it's possible to continue to have the photos on your phone at the same time as clearing out storage on iCloud?

• Advertisement

I bought a 128GB 11 and it was a mistake. Get a 64 and download Google Photos.

Advertisement