Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Carter 212

Lads I've also made second panel and have spoken to few my mates in DFB. These are all rumours at the moment and nothing is official has actually been said. I'm only going by what my friend told me...... They would not run panel back to back as each recruit would only have 6 weeks training. If a watch was to isolate what could someone with 6 weeks minimum training be able to add to another watch. I'd take everything with a pinch of salt. It would make more sense to train first panel for 6 months and then run with second panel next year. But you never know what could happen. Well done ryo everyone who got through

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Royal87

Dooj wrote: »
    I am more than likely in class 2, can anyone DM what is required for the medical & Physical, with gyms being closed would like to keep on top of my fitness at home. would really appreciate if someone could fill me in cheers!

Its all in the original booklet

I am more than likely in class 2, can anyone DM what is required for the medical & Physical, with gyms being closed would like to keep on top of my fitness at home. would really appreciate if someone could fill me in cheers!

Tardis wrote: »
    1st class training rumoured to be cut from 6 months to 1 with it being basic firefighting training. No specialized training or BA training. 2nd class called immediately after the 1st.

This is down to so many including whole watches self isolating after possible exposure

Been told ba training is included

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SAXA999

Carter 212 wrote: »
    Lads I've also made second panel and have spoken to few my mates in DFB. These are all rumours at the moment and nothing is official has actually been said. I'm only going by what my friend told me...... They would not run panel back to back as each recruit would only have 6 weeks training. If a watch was to isolate what could someone with 6 weeks minimum training be able to add to another watch. I'd take everything with a pinch of salt. It would make more sense to train first panel for 6 months and then run with second panel next year. But you never know what could happen. Well done ryo everyone who got through

You clearly have been living in a hole the past few weeks! Job is in massive trouble and will only get worse. AFS on standby to send in lads to man back of the trucks if it all goes south!

Get ready to hit the ground running cause your about the enter a **** show of an emergency! Be warned

• Advertisement

SAXA999 wrote: »
    You clearly have been living in a hole the past few weeks! Job is in massive trouble and will only get worse. AFS on standby to send in lads to man back of the trucks if it all goes south!

Get ready to hit the ground running cause your about the enter a **** show of an emergency! Be warned

I completely get that it's a ****ed up situation at the moment and I agree people should be prepared. What I'm getting at is there's no definite decision on classes running back to back or training to be fast tracked, it's all word of mouth and rumours. Sure people saying BA training is being skipped and others saying it isn't. Are you a fire fighter or have you got any of this info from a person in DCC or DFB or Government official who actually make the decisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Dooj

Royal87 wrote: »

Yes just heard a few bits are being left out ie treadmill test is anything else being left out ?

I completely get that it's a ****ed up situation at the moment and I agree people should be prepared. What I'm getting at is there's no definite decision on classes running back to back or training to be fast tracked, it's all word of mouth and rumours. Sure people saying BA training is being skipped and others saying it isn't. Are you a fire fighter or have you got any of this info from a person in DCC or DFB or Government official who actually make the decisions?

DFB are considering back to back training. New recruits getting basic firefighter training and depending on manning needs it will determine the length of the training. If they get severly depleted back to back classes are a possibility.

They are also bringing back reitrees to cope with the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheButcher

Right lads and ladies , just want to put up what I know . I’m in dfb & as people have posted it’s quiet busy at the moment to say the least.

Just want to say to the new recruits that dfb hope to keep you out on obi for the 6 months but as people are saying this all depends on current manning levels . The minimum to expect is only a few weeks initial training before going on shift if dfb are in big trouble with numbers which they seem to be going that way .

On the potential of back to back classes I want to say this is highly unlikely but not impossible. This would only happen if the job was on its knees with numbers but at the moment they’re pushing the powers to be for quicker tests & results for covid-19 so they can get staff back on the run asap. At the moment plenty are out isolating for 14 days with no symptoms which is wasteful. Also if the run back to back classes they’d have almost 100 new recruits on the road with minimal training. That’s a disaster for dfb because it’d be a nightmare to get them all back to complete fire training aswell as paramedic so second class is unlikely but I obviously don’t know for sure .

They’re sending staff to the obi control room to take fire calls for dfb and Leinster to ease the workload in ercc . There’s also two additional ambulances on the run now too been manned by overtime. It’s bananas at the moment.

The new recruits have only done half the physical test and are apparently completing it on the course . Too late then imo.

Finally, nobody knows anything for sure as ideas and rumours are Changing daily . Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

How have people gotten on with the physicals over the last couple of days? I’m up later in the week myself and can’t wait to have it out of the way!

• Advertisement

Physical is apparently simple . Climb to top of 13.5, casualty drag , 70mm hose role , tunnel crawl . Then they’re sized for turnout gear & uniform. Hard to know if they’ll do treadmill test & weights on the recruits course. Pointless as I doubt they’d sack you at that stage if you weren’t fit enough to do it .

TheButcher wrote: »
    Physical is apparently simple . Climb to top of 13.5, casualty drag , 70mm hose role , tunnel crawl . Then they’re sized for turnout gear & uniform. Hard to know if they’ll do treadmill test & weights on the recruits course. Pointless as I doubt they’d sack you at that stage if you weren’t fit enough to do it .

Thanks for that!

Has the start date changed or is class one still going to be the 27th?
    Anyone have any idea how many from the panel were actually called.

I was told 27th April

Think 40 were called . 2 people definitely deferred their place for the next class . There’s 9 escs due out in the next class so they’ll call the next 39 from firefighter panel for 2nd class .

Physicals finished today , course going ahead on 27th April .

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reddington

10 ESCS out in Next Class

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SAXA999

They are pulling former control room firefighters back into the room because of the back up control room in the OBI being set up so I wouldnt 100% count on these escs coming out this time.
    1st class will be basic training, minimum 4 weeks long then depending what operational numbers are like will dictate if they do more or not.
    DFB have requested to DCC to prepare to call the next class, again depending on manning levels over the coming weeks.
    Just all depends how this crisis effects the amount of operational staff numbers

They are pulling former control room firefighters back into the room because of the back up control room in the OBI being set up so I wouldnt 100% count on these escs coming out this time.
    1st class will be basic training, minimum 4 weeks long then depending what operational numbers are like will dictate if they do more or not.
    DFB have requested to DCC to prepare to call the next class, again depending on manning levels over the coming weeks.
    Just all depends how this crisis effects the amount of operational staff numbers

Really there's a post here saying they will keep us in obi for as long as possible

This is what i was told

New recruits are expected to receive basic firefighter training and depending on manning needs it will determine length of recruit training. If DFB reach a stage where they are getting severely depleted, back to back recruit classes remain a possibility. DFB have written to DCC requesting that a second batch of recruits be prepared to do back to back training with the first batch if the situation arises where they have serious deficiencies in manning. .

So basically training will boil down to how they are doing for numbers.

reddington wrote: »
    10 ESCS out in Next Class

Sorry I meant next class after the one starting on 27th April . As you say , there’s 10 escs leaving the control room for this class on the 27th.

• Advertisement

Royal87 wrote: »
    Really there's a post here saying they will keep us in obi for as long as possible

They will keep recruits in the obi for as long as possible.

The escs have all completed Medicals & physicals so they’re leaving the room this month .

So am I correct in saying the first class on 27th April will consist of no escs and 48 from fire fighter panel?

And..... Second class will consist of 10 escs from control room and 38 from fire fighter panel? Or is it the other way round?

So am I correct in saying the first class on 27th April will consist of no escs and 48 from fire fighter panel?

And..... Second class will consist of 10 escs from control room and 38 from fire fighter panel? Or is it the other way round?

No , both classes will have escs. 10 escs in this class on the 27th April & 9 in the class after that.

So 38 called from panel for this class & similar numbers will be called for 2 nd class

No , both classes will have escs. 10 escs in this class on the 27th April & 9 in the class after that.

So 38 called from panel for this class & similar numbers will be called for 2 nd class

Balls...... I came late 70's oom on panel. With the escs and 2 deferrals that prob pushes me out of class two unless theres other deferrals or medical or fitness failures

Balls...... I came late 70's oom on panel. With the escs and 2 deferrals that prob pushes me out of class two unless theres other deferrals or medical or fitness failures

• Registered Users Posts: 27 janedoe88

Did everyone get their statement to say they have no endorsements on their license?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dant1986

So dose that mean the 3rd clasd will also be running back to back after 2nd class and also be only 4 weeks training?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dant1986

Im 125th so if it goes like that i probly wont get called atall

• Advertisement

Dant1986 wrote: »
    Im 125th so if it goes like that i probly wont get called atall

You could be called next year at some stage

Advertisement