Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Im hearing from a source that even more stricter and draconian lockdown coming later this week.

2km zone for walking etc will be withdrawn for starters.

name the exclusive source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

LOL. I'd say that's BS.

It is of course but so is the original post

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Asal beag dubh

Sorry to go slightly off topic but does anyone know of any tyre centres open in Galway during the current situation? I discovered that I've a flat tyre this morning (looks like it may have been done deliberately). I have the spare on but am part of a contact tracing team so really need to be able rely on the car. I've tried googling and ringing a few places but haven't had any joy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

I heard from a friend living in China that China now banned the export of masks and other medical supplies to The Netherlands after The Netherlands complained about the quality of masks last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

wakka12 wrote: »
    Curve successfuly flattened in Norway and Austria who today reported just 73 and 58 new cases each

We will be next. I'd say come next week will be in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

is_that_so wrote: »
    Whatsapp again? NEPHT/DoH/HSE or the government are the only sources you should be quoting.

No. Govt official.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sorry to go slightly off topic but does anyone know of any tyre centres open in Galway during the current situation? I discovered that I've a flat tyre this morning (looks like it may have been done deliberately). I have the spare on but am part of a contact tracing team so really need to be able rely on the car. I've tried googling and ringing a few places but haven't had any joy so far.
    Have you tried garages/car repair places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

No. Govt official.

Why would they enforce greater measures when we are largely seeing a flat number of new cases....maybe they could do it for 3/4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

From rte:
    Austria plans to reopen smaller shops from next week in its first step to loosen a lockdown that has slowed the spread of the coronavirus, as long as the public continue to observe the lockdown broadly, Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said.

Mr Kurz told a news conference that since Austria had acted earlier than most countries, that gave it the ability to reopen shops sooner as well.

If all goes well, it will reopen non-essential shops of less than 400 square metres and DIY shops on 14 April, followed by all shops and malls on 1 May, he said.

Just to add onto this, mass gatherings are still banned until June

other services, as well as restaurants and hotels, must stay shuttered until mid-May, with a final decision to be taken in mid-April, he added. While exams will go ahead, classes in schools will remain suspended until at least mid-May.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/austria-seeks-to-be-first-eu-country-to-lift-lockdown-measuress-after-easter/

No. Govt official.
    A proper one or just a minion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

bekker wrote: »
    Just one metric being ignored is population density, which has a direct effect on effective R0 rate.

Which is why the Chinese decided to effectively lock people in their homes and apartments. One lesson from the Sars outbreak of 2003 they probably learned is that even one person in a hotel or apartment complex can infect numerous others through use of the elevator.

See the example of the Sars2003 Hong Kong outbreak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome
    The disease spread in Hong Kong from Liu Jianlun, a Guangdong doctor who was treating patients at Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hospital. He arrived in February and stayed on the ninth floor of the Metropole Hotel in Kowloon, infecting 16 of the hotel visitors. Those visitors traveled to Canada, Singapore, Taiwan, and Vietnam, spreading SARS to those locations.

While we mightn't get to the stage of apartment blocs being patrolled here, elevators should be cleaned regularly, otherwise they are focal points for spread. Cities really are the ideal place for covid19 spread.

Gloves and masks may be be one of the conditions of lifting a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Im hearing from a source that even more stricter and draconian lockdown coming later this week.

LOL I'm hearing from my source that pubs will have a surprise reopening for the bank holiday weekend.
    LOL. I'd say that's BS.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

https://bestdrive.ie/branches/galway/headford-road-galway-city/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm staying away from this side of boards. It's depressing news as it is and seems to be two sides here, we're doing great and we're not. People dying from this virus is not a country that's doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Have we any idea on the timeline for what's happening after Easter Sunday with regards restrictions?

I have to make expensive decisions relating to events coming up and I will be in the hook for the cost of cancellation if advice isn't forthcoming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Have we any idea on the timeline for what's happening after Easter Sunday with regards restrictions?

I have to make expensive decisions relating to events coming up and I will be in the hook for the cost of cancellation if advice isn't forthcoming soon.
    Cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I'm getting tyred of these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Try Cloonboo Tyre centre. He might still be operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

otnomart wrote: »
    other services, as well as restaurants and hotels, must stay shuttered until mid-May, with a final decision to be taken in mid-April, he added. While exams will go ahead, classes in schools will remain suspended until at least mid-May.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/austria-seeks-to-be-first-eu-country-to-lift-lockdown-measuress-after-easter/

Yup followed it up in a later post. It's a model we should follow when the time comes

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Asal beag dubh

is_that_so wrote: »
    Have you tried garages/car repair places?

My own mechanic is closed ... but will do ... that was an obvious thing I didn't think of.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

I'm getting tyred of these posts.

Agreed. Doesn't belong on this tread!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

What date and what type of event?

If we’re talking any kind of public events next week involving even a small gathering - 99% chances they won’t be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Yeah, had heard that there will be stricter rules coming too.

Apart from withdrawing the 2km - what else are they likely to do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I'm staying away from this side of boards. It's depressing news as it is and seems to be two sides here, we're doing great and we're not. People dying from this virus is not a country that's doing great.

Do that so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Maybe ring your local Garda station (not with emergency number) and ask. I imagine your contact tracing work would put you in the essential services category.

I am sure the emergency services have a way of keeping their fleets on the road.

BTW. well done on keeping us all safe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

One plus from the virus...
    The Orange Order has announced that this year's annual Twelfth of July parades have been cancelled due to Covid-19.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/0406/1128808-coronavirus-orange-parades/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That would not come as any great surprise.
    Good luck with enforcing that outside of towns and cities or scumbag estates.

On the darkest nights

Theres always glimmers of light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

None of us buy this nonsense, just in case you think you are fooling people.

• Advertisement

I'd be thinking of the end of April for loosening of the current restrictions and 6 weeks+ for anything looking normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement