Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely livid with my landlord

Options

Comments

Stop digging op. You are wrong.

No sane, sensible and unbiased person will agree with you. The best you can hope for is people close to you being in agreement to your face.

Basically, this thread will not end well for you. Nor should it. You are a fully grown adult male, married with a teenage child. You have recieved a LOT of money from your parents but appear to be too stupid to use it wisely.

I am livid. As a fully grown adult male, married with children of various ages and paying my own mortgage without bleeding my own parents dry, I demand you pay my mortgage so I don't need to work! It's only fair

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I wish i could say what i really wanted about most of the posters smugness on this thread but id be banned...

Op you re gonna have to go to the social, if you cant make ends meat its only a matter of time before you ll have to anyway so why postpone it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cupatae wrote: »
    I wish i could say what i really wanted about most of the posters smugness on this thread but id be banned...

I don't see any smugness by posters on this thread. They have called out a poster for not paying rent while having the funds to do so. That's not smugness, and makes a laugh of he genuine people that are struggling to meet their needs since the start of this C19 crisis.

Op you re gonna have to go to the social, if you cant make ends meat its only a matter of time before you ll have to anyway so why postpone it?

You are now telling the Op what 99.9% of all the other posters have told her to do. So what's different about you making the statement?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Op I have two key pieces of advice.

If you need help with your rent engage with social welfare and reassess.

If you don't need help with your rent pay your rent.

2. Move house (or apartment) or threaten to do so. There's a lot of supply out there now (mainly because of students moving home but also ex airb&b properties). You may find a significantly cheaper palce to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

If by "smug" you mean that we are not using a global pandemic to shirk our responsibilities because we know that is a morally reprehensible thing to do then... yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...... You may find a significantly cheaper place to rent.

The OP is looking for free, or more accurately the LL to pay them to stay there. Hard to get "significantly" cheaper than that.

I suspect there will be many trying to do this.
    Eventually there will be a back lash like 2 or 3 months in advance or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

beauf wrote: »
    The OP is looking for free, or more accurately the LL to pay them to stay there. Hard to get "significantly" cheaper than that.

I suspect there will be many trying to do this.
    Eventually there will be a back lash like 2 or 3 months in advance or such.

For someone with a couple of hundred thousand to their name what the OP is doing will cause this backlash and its the people who are in genuine difficultly will suffer, not the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Landlords could be snookered. If a lease is agreed at 30 percent less now which is likely the landlord cannot increase the rents later under the legislation. Many landlords could go bust. The banks rate of lending is twice that of what it is to owner occupiers so it makes renting economically unviable.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

lomb wrote: »
    Landlords could be snookered. If a lease is agreed at 30 percent less now which is likely the landlord cannot increase the rents later under the legislation. Many landlords could go bust. The banks rate of lending is twice that of what it is to owner occupiers so it makes renting economically unviable.

A lot of businesses will go bust unfortunately. Won't be too many tears shed for the landlord class here.

Ballso wrote: »
    A lot of businesses will go bust unfortunately. Won't be too many tears shed for the landlord class here.

Why not? Why are LLs constantly painted as the bad guy? Are they not running a business like anyone else? You don't see people berating Dunnes Stores for not giving people free stuff even though the owners have lots of money :confused:

• Advertisement

Last time there as property crash it was followed quickly by massive housing crisis.

For some reason people seem to think that this crash will be worse and have the opposite effect on housing.

Last time there as property crash it was followed quickly by massive housing crisis.

For some reason people seem to think that this crash will be worse and have the opposite effect on housing.

Who thinks that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

Dorakman wrote: »
    That sounds quite reasonable, I don’t see where your beef is coming from?

Have to parrot this to be honest. Sounds like you can pay him, or can very possibly at least talk to social about it.

Stop being around your elderly family during this time. That takes them out of the equation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Gumbo wrote: »
    I don't see any smugness by posters on this thread. They have called out a poster for not paying rent while having the funds to do so. That's not smugness, and makes a laugh of he genuine people that are struggling to meet their needs since the start of this C19 crisis.

You are now telling the Op what 99.9% of all the other posters have told her to do. So what's different about you making the statement?

Its the manner in which people post on here as if they are so much better than everyone else, its a level of passive.. smugness..the elitist type ive only seen on boards, They really enjoy what they are saying...

Like "makes a laugh of genuine people" who are you to call someone genuine and the next person not in all honesty?

The same people on here talking about freeloading are prob the same ones taking the 350 handout now which is ironic.

Its the manner in which people post on here as if they are so much better than everyone else, its a level of passive.. smugness..the elitist type ive only seen on boards, They really enjoy what they are saying...

Like "makes a laugh of genuine people" who are you to call someone genuine and the next person not in all honesty?

The same people on here talking about freeloading are prob the same ones taking the 350 handout now which is ironic.

I'm not taking the "handout". I consider myself lucky to be able to work from home. Even though I'm due a baby in 6 weeks and my back could do without sitting at a dressing table on a kitchen chair working on a laptop right now!

Even still, I know good, honest, hardworking people who are availing of this payment. It isn't a reflection on them. What happened was beyond their control. If anything, you calling the payment a "handout" probably says more about you than it does about those who avail of it.

In the absence of further information, someone who has, by their own admission, sufficient means to meet their repayment and refuses to do so on the basis that "the landlord already has enough money" cannot be considered in any vein to be a genuine person.

Who thinks that?

Its pretty obvious all over the boards.

People are entitled to their own opinion but its a shame when it shuts down, any rational debate or discussion. There's generally two sides to most stories.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Why not? Why are LLs constantly painted as the bad guy? Are they not running a business like anyone else? You don't see people berating Dunnes Stores for not giving people free stuff even though the owners have lots of money :confused:

Why not? Because they will be busy shedding tears for small business owners who provide good value for services in the community instead of gouging people for basic necessities like shelter. People don't enjoy having their rent increased year on year while getting absolutely nothing extra for their money, with the lovely threat of being thrown into homelessness looming if they fail to comply.

You might want to pick up an Irish history book for context on why people dislike landlordism here. Nothing really changes does it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Why not? Because they will be busy shedding tears for small business owners who provide good value for services in the community instead of gouging people for basic necessities like shelter. People don't enjoy having their rent increased year on year while getting absolutely nothing extra for their money, with the lovely threat of being thrown into homelessness looming if they fail to comply.

You might want to pick up an Irish history book for context on why people dislike landlordism here. Nothing really changes does it.

Just like those shops there are some LL’s that don’t increase rent year on year and treat their tenants with respect.

And also, just like your small shop idea, there are those that will inflate prices the minute they can for items such as hand wash, sanitizer, anti bac wipes which was evident from many pack shops online over the last 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You understand that for a bank to lend for house purchase, they usually require vacant possession? If LLs go bust or more decide to sell because it is not a viable business, what do you think happens to their tenants?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Just like those shops there are some LL’s that don’t increase rent year on year and treat their tenants with respect.

And also, just like your small shop idea, there are those that will inflate prices the minute they can for items such as hand wash, sanitizer, anti bac wipes which was evident from many pack shops online over the last 3 weeks.

I'm not trapped into a situation where I have to deal with that price gouging though, am I? I can just use soap and water.

People have been trapped by this rent crisis and landlords continue to bleed them dry. Nobody will cry for these gougers if they lose their assets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So shelter is a basic necessity that landlords are obliged to give you good value for money, but food isnt?:confused:

The reason there is a housing crisis and homeless crisis (however you define it) is due to govt policy. Its got nothing to do with LLs.
    Nothing really changes? The current housing market bears is unrecognizable from two decades ago, never mind a few hundred yeas ago.
    Blaming landlords is an inane lazy argument. Govt has sold you snake oil and you can't get enough of it.

It ironic considering the context of this thread.

GreeBo wrote: »
    So shelter is a basic necessity that landlords are obliged to give you good value for money, but food isnt?:confused:

Plenty of choice and value in the market for food

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Guess what, I AM from Cavan.
    Think I'll jag up the rent a little, that'll soften your cough... :D

The reason there is a housing crisis and homeless crisis (however you define it) is due to govt policy. Its got nothing to do with LLs.
    Nothing really changes? The current housing market bears is unrecognizable from two decades ago, never mind a few hundred yeas ago.
    Blaming landlords is an inane lazy argument. Govt has sold you snake oil and you can't get enough of it.

It ironic considering the context of this thread.

I'm not blaming landlords for the root cause, I'm calling out their profiteering from the policy created crisis and saying nobody will shed a tear when they suffer. Because it is true.

I'm not blaming landlords for the root cause, I'm calling out their profiteering from the policy created crisis and saying nobody will shed a tear when they suffer. Because it is true.

Charging market rate within the regulations is not profiteering, it is legally charging what the market will bare. Two very different things.

If stock decreases further due to even more LLs leaving the market, by choice or necessity, will cause rents to rise again.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Charging market rate within the regulations is not profiteering, it is legally charging what the market will bare. Two very different things.

Increasing prices and offering no extra value on people who have no choice but to consume your service is not profiteering. Right.

Im not fielding a queue of attacks from landlords on this thread, in the main you are all as big a bunch of gougers as the OP of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Seoda1 wrote: »
    I can’t get to the bank.
    I suggested a rent break and asked for his blessing during this pandemic and stressful times.
    He swiftly emailed be back, no “I hope you are ok” in these times. He said if it’s ok he would call around today to collect rent and suggested that I contact the social welfare office for rent support.

This is where I am livid.

I’m NOT contacting the social welfare office.

I thought he might say .., pay what you can in May and we’ll catch up later on in the year ... or I’ve got a mortgage holiday so just pay me the interest or be a human being.
    Genuinely, his email to me has stressed me out more than the whole of the last few weeks put together.

Comedy gold. Hat tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Plenty of choice and value in the market for food

Indeed.
    You can also rent a nice house in Leixlip for cheaper than you can in Dublin.
    Its almost like there is a market with different options.

• Advertisement

Increasing prices and offering no extra value on people who have no choice but to consume your service is not profiteering. Right.

Im not fielding a queue of attacks from landlords on this thread, in the main you are all as big a bunch of gougers as the OP of this thread.

No it isn’t profiteering, the “extra value” is having a property which is in high demand and which others would pay for. Over the years many posters have wanted LLs to treat it as a business, this is how business works.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement