Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely livid with my landlord

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ballso wrote: »
    Im not fielding a queue of attacks from landlords on this thread, in the main you are all as big a bunch of gougers as the OP of this thread.

Ah, and there was me engaging with you like a fool1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ah, and there was me engaging with you like a fool1

As soon as I read this
    You might want to pick up an Irish history book for context on why people dislike landlordism here.

I knew it was futile to engage. Pre-independence nationalism mindset, not hard to figure out who we're dealing with here. Why, we should all rise up and drive the "landlord class" back to England where they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭The Student

Increasing prices and offering no extra value on people who have no choice but to consume your service is not profiteering. Right.

Im not fielding a queue of attacks from landlords on this thread, in the main you are all as big a bunch of gougers as the OP of this thread.

Supply and demand economics 101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm not blaming landlords for the root cause, I'm calling out their profiteering from the policy created crisis and saying nobody will shed a tear when they suffer. Because it is true.

The govt had Nama they had a surplus of housing and they gave it away for pittance. They removed all new social housing and privatised it all.

When the private market said, no we don't want that business, the govt forced it on the private market, they changed legislation at every opportunity to suit themselves and reduce supply to make it attractive to attract investment into the country.

They charged the law around rents making it punitive to not increase rents. They literally forced people to increase rents. Now they've created a rent freeze that keeps rents high. Amnesty for tenants but Landlords get no reductions. They will still pay for all this.

These boom and bust policies drive people to make as much money as they can when they can because a crash is always around the corner. The policy causes the gouging. Not the other way around.

After all this. You still give the govt a free ride. People need to open their eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The govt needed to fix the market and housing Instead they turned it into a bucking bronco. One half cheers on the way up the other half on the way down.

The organ grinder and his monkey...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I'm not blaming landlords for the root cause, I'm calling out their profiteering from the policy created crisis and saying nobody will shed a tear when they suffer. Because it is true.

One man's profiteering is another man's use of market supply and demand to maximise profits, business is business.
    Your dream altruistic landlord,who ran it as a charity or hobby rather than as a business, will be the first to go,you think you'ld at least shed a tear for that gentle soul.
    The bigger guys will adapt and survive, and they don't care whether or not you cry for them,so long as you pay rent on the due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Chickpea111

Can’t get to a bank, you’ve heard of internet banking yea? Also, sign up for welfare if you need it. Also, grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

OP, I never heard such rubbish in all my life

Cavan people are very generous

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

9/10 - Seriously good effort with an epic result.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Cupatae wrote: »
    Its the manner in which people post on here as if they are so much better than everyone else

I paid my rent, so I am better than the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'm not taking the "handout". I consider myself lucky to be able to work from home. Even though I'm due a baby in 6 weeks and my back could do without sitting at a dressing table on a kitchen chair working on a laptop right now!

Even still, I know good, honest, hardworking people who are availing of this payment. It isn't a reflection on them. What happened was beyond their control. If anything, you calling the payment a "handout" probably says more about you than it does about those who avail of it.

In the absence of further information, someone who has, by their own admission, sufficient means to meet their repayment and refuses to do so on the basis that "the landlord already has enough money" cannot be considered in any vein to be a genuine person.

Exactly without further information ye people seem to have at it and pile on every chance they get cause it makes em feel big, who knows the persons position? but most on here act with an absolute lack of empathy..

Its not nice to call it a "hand out" when its the self proclaimed "good honest hardworking genuine folk" being forced to take it rather than the "tracksuits" as the good honest folk deem em, ive seen many times here people bashing people on dole and the line i always see is "i work for everything i have never taken a handout" as they proceed to bash anyone that does...am i wrong?

Id imagine most of those good righteous folk, must be quite conflicted right now..do they take a handout that they bashed others for doing... or do they maintain there morale high-horse stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Why not? Because they will be busy shedding tears for small business owners who provide good value for services in the community instead of gouging people for basic necessities like shelter. People don't enjoy having their rent increased year on year while getting absolutely nothing extra for their money, with the lovely threat of being thrown into homelessness looming if they fail to comply.

You might want to pick up an Irish history book for context on why people dislike landlordism here. Nothing really changes does it.

I suspect that the OP trying to avoid paying their rent during the pandemic has little to do with Irish history. In any event you can spare me the history lesson. Using our past as a scapegoat for acting any and what way we want, and abstaining from autonomy and self-responsibility is in itself a form of slavery - is the irony of this lost on you? :)

Most businesses, with for example not for profits being an exception, will price their goods to match market demand. It's a basic business concept.

I can accept that people don't enjoy having their rents raised. In the same way that a couple with a young family don't enjoy being priced out of the property market, or I don't enjoy being fleeced at the pump despite the drop in oil prices etc.

Exactly without further information ye people seem to have at it and pile on every chance they get cause it makes em feel big, who knows the persons position? but most on here act with an absolute lack of empathy..

Its not nice to call it a "hand out" when its the self proclaimed "good honest hardworking genuine folk" being forced to take it rather than the "tracksuits" as the good honest folk deem em, ive seen many times here people bashing people on dole and the line i always see is "i work for everything i have never taken a handout" as they proceed to bash anyone that does...am i wrong?

Id imagine most of those good righteous folk, must be quite conflicted right now..do they take a handout that they bashed others for doing... or do they maintain there morale high-horse stance.

Ever consider the landlord in any of this? What if they can’t pay mortgage? What if they lose their own home?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ever consider the landlord in any of this? What if they can’t pay mortgage? What if they lose their own home?

i never said the op was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

i never said the op was right.

Just everyone else is smug.

Increasing prices and offering no extra value on people who have no choice but to consume your service is not profiteering. Right.

How do you define "value" in this context? Value is informed by current market conditions which, yes for the last while have been favourable to landlords.

Also, I'm not a landlord nor am I attacking you - simply engaging in rationale debate. On the other hand, your constant use of derogatory terms like "gougers" makes it look like you are the one attacking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Griselda

Renters about to have their day in the sun for first time in ages.

I am genuinely not being smart, but you have made so many vague and sweeping statements in that post, I have no clue if you are right or wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Griselda wrote: »

The market will decide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not sure what you're getting at here. Pretty much every person on the thread has told the OP to swallow their pride and go to the welfare office for assistance rather than treating their landlord as social welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Griselda wrote: »

Depends on what part of the country your in,

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Plenty of choice and value in the market for food

Ever ask yourself why people are not investing in property to rent if it is so rewarding? Plenty of people with money could provide "choice and value" but choose to invest elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont remember seeing any posters bashing anyone that lost their job claiming the dole while looking for a new job. Thats exactly what its for.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Antares35 wrote: »
    How do you define "value" in this context? Value is informed by current market conditions which, yes for the last while have been favourable to landlords. .

Presumably the landlord should build an extension every year and add a room?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

It's not that the OP doesn't have the money just that they feel they can't get to the bank for some obscure reason.

Being "worried about my family" and going to the local bank branch aren't mutually exclusive, and the bank is open.

The landlord doesn't know that you actually have the cash, and given your email possibly thought you might be stuck, hence the "offensive" suggestion to get on to social welfare.

Then because you feel you are unable(!) To get to the (open) bank, the 'LL wants to collect legitimate rent which you have the money to pay i.e. trying to help with logistics (and yes, admittedly also getting their rent) and you're livid.

Not seeing your side OP apologies unless I'm missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not seeing your side OP apologies unless I'm missing something.

I think we're missing the OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

Can’t get to a bank, you’ve heard of internet banking yea? Also, sign up for welfare if you need it. Also, grow up.

Many landlords in my experience refuse bank transfers as a payment method.

LeineGlas wrote: »

What? how many landlords?

You think landlords are walking around Dublin with wads of cash collecting rent?? sure why would the criminals go after cash machines when they can just take on landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

LeineGlas wrote: »

Maybe those who are not registered and dont want to declare the rental income. Any legitimate landlord will only accept transfers and direct debits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Shefwedfan wrote: »

You think landlords are walking around Dublin with wads of cash collecting rent??

I have seen a few walking around with wads of cash. They all look as if they don't have a penny to their name. They actually look like they're on their way to Focus Point to look for accommodation, rather than on their way to house to collect rent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement