Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely livid with my landlord

Options
  • 02-04-2020 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

A rant more than anything but I’m absolutely livid.

Yesterday I emailed my landlord of three years, always paid rent on time, good tenant blah blah blah

I said, I have your rent here which is payable next Monday but because of restrictions, I can’t get to the bank.

And re Mays rent, if these restrictions stay in place for the month of April, which I think it will, then I’m not going to have money for you.

I wanted to be fair to him and give him plenty of notice. I suggested a rent break and asked for his blessing during this pandemic and stressful times.

Now, this guy is tight, if he’s not from Cavan, he should be.

He swiftly emailed be back, no “I hope you are ok” in these times. He said if it’s ok he would call around today to collect rent and suggested that I contact the social welfare office for rent support.

This is where I am livid. We are in a crisis right now, there’s a pandemic going on. I am worried about my elderly parents and parents in law, aunts, uncles and my own family, keeping safe and encouraging my son who is in sixth year to keep studying for his leaving cert whenever that will be, if it’s to be. I’m NOT contacting the social welfare office.

I didn’t reply to his email, if he came to my door, I would have told him to go away and come back next week as it is not due then ... I’m fuming.

What was I expecting? I thought he might say .., pay what you can in May and we’ll catch up later on in the year ... or I’ve got a mortgage holiday so just pay me the interest or be a human being.

Genuinely, his email to me has stressed me out more than the whole of the last few weeks put together.

God I needed to rant

How would you reply to him?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭Dorakman

Seoda1 wrote: »

Yesterday I emailed my landlord of three years, always paid rent on time, good tenant blah blah blah

I said, I have your rent here which is payable next Monday but because of restrictions, I can’t get to the bank.

And re Mays rent, if these restrictions stay in place for the month of April, which I think it will, then I’m not going to have money for you.

I wanted to be fair to him and give him plenty of notice. I suggested a rent break and asked for his blessing during this pandemic and stressful times.

He swiftly emailed be back, no “I hope you are ok” in these times. He said if it’s ok he would call around today to collect rent and suggested that I contact the social welfare office for rent support.

This is where I am livid. We are in a crisis right now, there’s a pandemic going on. I am worried about my elderly parents and parents in law, aunts, uncles and my own family, keeping safe and encouraging my son who is in sixth year to keep studying for his leaving cert whenever that will be, if it’s to be. I’m NOT contacting the social welfare office.

I didn’t reply to his email, if he came to my door, I would have told him to go away and come back next week as it is not due then ... I’m fuming.

What was I expecting? I thought he might say .., pay what you can in May and we’ll catch up later on in the year ... or I’ve got a mortgage holiday so just pay me the interest or be a human being.

Genuinely, his email to me has stressed me out more than the whole of the last few weeks put together.

God I needed to rant

That sounds quite reasonable, I don’t see where your beef is coming from?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'm really not sure how you consider this an unreasonable response, to be honest.
    I’m NOT contacting the social welfare office.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you are out of work then you should be getting help from welfare.

Bizarre complaining about LL...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Nah, It's cabin fever and you are just having a rant !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why shouldn't you pay your rent? You have the money?

Also, why do you assume the landlord has a holiday from paying his mortgage?

If I've ever heard such faux outrage! My goodness. Some people.

Although the more I read the OP the more I'm sure this isn't a genuine post but moreso a windup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Y

?

Your parents etc. are not your landlords responsibility. The rent is your responsibility. If there is help available to you, what is wrong with availing of it?
    Your landlord is willing to save you the trouble of going to the bank, what is wrong with that?
    If SW will pay the rent, why should your landlord sacrifice your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Banks are open but you don't want to go- Ok.

He offers to call around to collect the money to facilitate you, but you are concerned about social-distancing. Pretty sure you can meet him outside on your street and handle handle an exchange there in a way you feel comfortable with?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,954 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Seoda1 wrote:
    I’m NOT contacting the social welfare office.

Not sure I can give a response to this without getting an infraction.

Your landlord sounds like a perfectly nice reasonable fellow, don't go ****ing him over just because you can't suck it up like a mature adult and call the welfare office.

Also I don't think people understand this "mortgage holiday". It's only available to people in financial distress and it's not free money, it gets added to the debt they owe the bank.

Also, you've managed to figure out how to get online and post here, have you not heard of online banking? I've never had to meet my landlord with cash or visit the bank, it's all done through online bank transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bank transfer anyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd pay my rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

Why won't you contact the social welfare office if you need assistance? That is what it is there for.

The landlord could and perhaps should also help but it is optional.

Social welfare should really be your first port of call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Have to agree with the replies here
    If it was me I'd be more than happy for him to call around and collect.

Also I would have thought a trip to the bank to pay your rent would be considered essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I really don't understand your issue. You will need to pay rent that you cannot get to bank to pay. Calling round is reasonable. Why not contact Social Welfare? Things take time to process, what if situation is the same in June?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Why aren't you going to social?

You'll need to go eventually if you're out of work and every day you put it off is a days money lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'm sorry, but it is 2020. Not being able to get to a bank is a piss poor excuse. Can you not ask him for an IBAN and transfer the money to him?

And you say you will not contact the social welfare office? There are supports ther eif you need them. If not why not?

You are obliged to pay the rent as per the lease. Just because of the covid doesn't mean you are of the hook or that the landlord owes you any sort of concession. It would be entirely at their discretion whether they choose to make a concession or deferral deal of some sort. It is not for you to demand from them

Why bring your parents or extended family into it? Your landlord has nothing to do with them and doesn't know them from a crow.

It is not ideal that the landlord is planning to come to the house to collect but it could be worked out OK. He says he will drop by at 5pm. You say, OK ring me when you outside in your car. He arrives and rings. You put the rent in an envelope and leave it on the pier or in the driveway and you go back inside. He gets out, picks it up and returns to his car and pisses off.

It can be done. You are just making excuses. I think you should grow up and pony the f* up.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

You are entirely in the wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

I'd say OP is after f**king his computer out the window :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,954 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd say OP is after f**king his computer out the window :o

Will probably expect the landlord to fix that as well. The entitlement is strong with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Stark wrote: »
    Will probably expect the landlord to fix that as well. The entitlement is strong with this one.

And bring the shopping while he is at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The restrictions should have no bearing on you paying your rent or not. Unless of course you have lost your job which Im assuming you have not seeing as you dont mention it.

You have a contract with your landlord. Pay your rent. If you have had a reduction in income then contact social welfare which is what the government have been advising people to do.

• Advertisement

OP, you came to the landlord forum, what other responses were you expecting? haha

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

OP you have made no mention of whether your income has changed? If it hasn't why should you get a break from paying rent? Sounds like you're just chancing your arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,827 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If your kid is in 6th year, then you're not over 70. Get off your butt and go to the bank.

Before you go, download a Covid unemployment form from the welfare website and fill it in. Post it to the while you're at the bank.

Also while at the bank, ask them how you can set up a standing order for paying hge rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Ah stop. You're livid because you thought you'd get away with not paying rent this month too.

Every takeaway in the country is doing contactless delivery... same principal when he arrives to collect your rent.

Why wont you contact social welfare? You think you should just get to live there for free?

Walk into lidl there and rob a trolley full of food. Tell them you have to, because you're out of work, and cant be bothered to contact social welfare. Tell them you're annoyed that they asked you to pay up, rather than asking how you are.

See how that works out - you're a sponge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

The only thing I'd be livid about is his suggestion to call to the house - can't be doing that at the moment!

As everyone else has said though, these are modern times. Just organise a bank transfer instead!

And you should contact the social welfare if you think you're entitled to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Why not pay your rent out of the thousands your parents gifted you?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112308553

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

God I needed to rant

When you went to Tesco/Dunnes etc did they give you a discount?

OP, you are bate. And you're a chancer. You've been schooled all the way to town and back.

I suggest you take you medicine, look smart, and pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Why not pay your rent out of the thousands your parents gifted you?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112308553

speaks volumes of the OP. pity the landlord.

• Advertisement

That is some roasting. I've not seen a roasting like this in a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement