Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Un1corn wrote: »
    China sending medical aid abroad is a soft power/propaganda move. They are not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.
    Would you prefer them not doing it?
    I guess you'd have the same negative comment if not worse if they'd refuse to export

(some people are so hard to please...)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Does anyone really think that our little country will escape the devastation of Holland, Belgium, Germany, Spain, France, Italy and etc.?

I really hope we will, but I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Tandey

Not sure that yer man who makes your three-in-one qualifies as a reputable source , innit.

Why not if he has family in China?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

If you ever go across the sea to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    That's worrying. I did here an expert talk on TV tho. They mentioned that kids are OK but there was concern for babies under the age of 1.

The tweet says death of a baby who tested positive.
    Never said cause of death was due to the disease.

I'd wait til exact cause and history known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

voluntary wrote: »
    The same world where people die of hunger in Africa and we don't even get any news about them.

Very true, 20,000 die of starvation every single day and the world doesnt even blink
    Marlow wrote: »
    Bill Gates predicted it 5 years ago.

/M

I watched that video a few days ago. Ive so much respect for Bill Gates. He was once the worlds richest man and he could be retired sitting on a $500m super yacht in the Caribbean enjoying his senior years. But instead he has reinvented himself as a major advocate of public health for the worlds poorest people and is going to see out his life donating his vast fortune towards solving problems like malaria and polio.

It would make you wonder what our own lot are doing. Denis o'Brien was all over the Haiti earthquake yet all we have out of him on this is radio silence. Same goes for Goodman, the o'Reillys, JP McManus, Dermot Desmond, et al. And before anyone says they might be donating in private- these lads have buildings named after them on university campuses so they are not discreet when they do throw a few crumbs on the table.

In the context of us having a very low number of ICU beds per capita when this is over Govt. are going to have to take a look at the free and easy ride they have given these billionaires. Its all take, take, take with them. They're not half the man Bill Gates is.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    If you ever go across the sea to Ireland

Ah stop. My Dad used to sing that, bless him.

So much for me trying to stay positive now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I think every health care worker should get a bonus after this !!

Absolutely, there’ll be plenty of money for bonuses for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The cat got out of the bag and Beijing realized they couldn't suppress it anymore.

Beijing didn't suppress Dr Wenliang, the local communist party did. Beijing acted swiftly once it found out. In fact there were 400 cases in Wuhan when it was forced into lockdown.
    Initially, one of the first doctors Dr. Wenliang to report the virus and among others were arrested and told to stop spreading rumors about the virus. When China realized what they were dealing with they reported it to the WHO. You can read about Dr. Wenliang here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Wenliang

We all know this story. Nevertheless the reports to the WHO were still very timely. It takes time to know if a virus is novel or not, and the H1N1 virus took 6 months to isolate.
    China sending medical aid abroad is a soft power/propaganda move. They are not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. They only care about maintaining power and securing their economy so that they can continue to rule. Sending a few doctors and letting maybe some Chinese people suffer as a consequence is nothing to them. I also suspect they are terrified of being on the hook for this when it does die down. They don't want western industry to decouple their production lines from China. It is suicide for the regime once they can no longer deliver economic growth.

Sure, it's a soft power move. Maybe the US should try help Europe, rather than try propagandise their way out of it, and steal German tech.

The US, which will probably be the worst affected country in the world in absolute terms, is running strong interference here. It's the evil chinese, who informed the WHO about the virus in Dec 2019, who are responsible for this rather than the incompetence in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Lavinia wrote: »
    Would you prefer them not doing it?
    I guess you'd have the same negative comment if not worse if they'd refuse to export

(some people are so hard to please...)

I don't care about if they send aid or not. I want the Party to be held to account for this mess. They are doing everything they can to wipe their hands of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think the HSE are being deliberately vague on some issues. They seem to answer questions about testing or equipment shortages with answers that are about what they will hope will be the situation in a day or week.

I would like to know, how many ICU beds have we? How many test are being carried out and processed a day? How many test have been carried out? It does not seem that difficult answers those questions.
    It's a little insight into the bureaucracy in the HSE.

Does anyone really think that our little country will escape the devastation of Holland, Belgium, Germany, Spain, France, Italy and etc.?

I really hope we will, but I dunno.

There are reasons to be positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

How will it work with people going to work in essential services?

Will they just tell a guard if asked or will people be expected to carry permits/printed sheet saying where you work?

Talisman wrote: »
    It's a little insight into the bureaucracy in the HSE.

Union based I think. But hopefully it's all change going forward.

With due respect to those donning PPE when they can get it, and put their lives on the line looking after those who are sick. The pen pushers can feck right off now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No genocide there.

Was he in ICU?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What has gone wrong in Italy? Seems like a horror movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

yes but it was the same story last week when few days the rates were dropping, but then spiked again..

one day is not enough to say this is slowing down

FVP3 wrote: »
    Beijing didn't suppress Dr Wenliang, the local communist party did. Beijing acted swiftly once it found out. In fact there were 400 cases in Wuhan when it was forced into lockdown.

I would be skeptical about this. The Communists in Wuhan answer to the Communists in Beijing. One and the same. For sure the left hand might not know what the right is doing but ultimately the central government are responsible for the governance of their country. It is convenient for the Beijing party to say it was the Wuhan authorities who covered up. This way they can sell it to the nation they are not incompetent but just the leaders of Wuhan.

Will they just tell a guard if asked or will people be expected to carry permits/printed sheet saying where you work?

Expected to carry printed sheet from place of work is what we are being told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Heres a stat I hadnt seen before
    The median age of confirmed cases as of 1pm today is 46 years, data from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre shows.

26% of all cases have been hospitalised.

445 cases are associated with healthcare workers. Dublin has 56% of all cases and overall community transmission now accounts for 52% of confirmed cases.

26% of 2,415 is 628 people hospitalised with the virus. It must be chaos in there, huge respect for the staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I don't care about if they send aid or not. I want the Party to be held to account for this mess. They are doing everything they can to wipe their hands of it.

They arent responsible. Europe and the US had plenty of time to get their own house in order.

On the subject of bad tests.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615323/why-the-cdc-botched-its-coronavirus-testing/

On February 5 the [American] CDC began to send out coronavirus test kits, but many of the kits were soon found to have faulty negative controls (what shows up when coronavirus is absent), caused by contaminated reagents. This was probably a side effect of a rushed job to put the kits together. Labs with failed negative controls had to ship their samples to the CDC itself for testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

The cat got out of the bag and Beijing realized they couldn't suppress it anymore. Initially, one of the first doctors Dr. Wenliang to report the virus and among others were arrested and told to stop spreading rumors about the virus. When China realized what they were dealing with they reported it to the WHO. You can read about Dr. Wenliang here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Wenliang

There are many other reports also.

China sending medical aid abroad is a soft power/propaganda move. They are not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. They only care about maintaining power and securing their economy so that they can continue to rule. Sending a few doctors and letting maybe some Chinese people suffer as a consequence is nothing to them. I also suspect they are terrified of being on the hook for this when it does die down. They don't want western industry to decouple their production lines from China. It is suicide for the regime once they can no longer deliver economic growth.

Is there any evidence that China is now hiding numbers? If there is please point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It's Ireland in fairness. Simple explanation and a nurse/doctor will be on their way in 15 seconds.

Really do worry that people are losing their ability to think for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I'd be keen to get one of these and monitor myself and OH at home if the worst happens. Unfortunately, the delivery estimate for these items is mid May at best. Probably have to come from China.

Sorry to hear that. I was just thinking about things to help. I got a masks for family first week in Jan. Wife thought I was mental. I got one of those mid feb and arrived in 3 days.

Here's one arriving 3rd of April. Might be too long but they look fairly plentiful for now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pediatric-XNUO-Saturation-Clinically-Rechargeable/dp/B07PZBRFJD/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=pulse+oximeter&qid=1585430974&refinements=p_76%3A419158031

Quicker to arrive than my online shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

One factory. It's interesting how the US media, particularly the right wing media, controls the narrative. I've seen these reports turn up today on a number of sites, here and reddit by right wingers.

Clearly there's an agenda

Oh and the US has done nothing for Europe except blame us for the virus and try and steal our tech.

This. China and Russia have both donated lots of equipment to vulnerable countries and they're dealing with the virus themselves. USA still manages to convince everyone they're the 'bad guys' with their usual propaganda campaigns. Shame on the USA for this, a time where all the world is united apart from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Why do the WHO refuse to recognise Taiwan?? The girl in this video was asking the WHO official about the effects of the Coronavirus in Taiwan and the spokesman firstly said he couldn't hear her question, then told her to move on the next question. She persisted and the WHO official included of Taiwan under "all regions of China" refusing to recognise it as a state and only spoke of it in terms of China? Why?? :confused:
    https://twitter.com/guypbenson/status/1243977329132613633

They can't get involved in politics they as an organisation are supposed to be apolitical that's why they've been very careful not to condemn actions by certain countries. She knew what she was asking and that she was putting him on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I work for a semi state body which has been deemed an essential service. Luckily my area can work from home. But all staff have been sent a letter from the CEO stating they are an essential worker. This is to be produced if stopped by a guard.

New Home wrote: »
    Was he in ICU?

No offence intended NH, but you need to face reality. Triage for ICU/Ventilators has been with us for a long time before this crisis.

Some qualified for treatment based on potential outcomes, some didn't. That's a clinical decision by the medics best able to advise families. I trust them.

• Advertisement

They arent responsible. Europe and the US had plenty of time to get their own house in order.

On the subject of bad tests.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615323/why-the-cdc-botched-its-coronavirus-testing/

On February 5 the [American] CDC began to send out coronavirus test kits, but many of the kits were soon found to have faulty negative controls (what shows up when coronavirus is absent), caused by contaminated reagents. This was probably a side effect of a rushed job to put the kits together. Labs with failed negative controls had to ship their samples to the CDC itself for testing.

I never said the responses from Europe or the US were apt. I said this could have been avoided if the Chinese authorities didn't try to hush it up. The virus originated in Wuhan and they lost precious time locking up whistleblowers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement