Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Not seen Escape From New York? :)

No actually.

I really should be more cultured in my movie viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

There's a class of OAP which will take no heed of anyone or anything. It's a "I survived the war, I won't be beaten by this" mentality. They think they are being defiant rather than stupid.

I had a conversation with a relative this morning. Failed to heed many warnings. They are taking more serious but still detected a hint of "give a ****". I mentioned how we really should avoid going out now if necessary. If you do contract it and get it bad you end up on isolation ward. No-one with you. No funeral etc.

• Administrators Posts: 53,567 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

hmmm wrote: »
    It is dead, and has been for a few weeks. Most people are taking it seriously. Anyone who claims otherwise is hysterical.

There is a class of curtain-twitching types on Boards who are getting very upset about people going for a walk, with or without members of the household they live with. They are taking copious notes on people's records, and probably have the Guards plagued with calls.

This is going to be the thing now for the next two weeks.

"OMG I SAW SOMEBODY OUTSIDE, THIS LOCKDOWN IS NOT WORKING !!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Yes he's presidential material.

That was said about Giuliani after 911, he's way too close to Trump now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

I see the prophet of doom is back, wound you you he'd fcuk off and retire and give us a break.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0328/1126970-mccarthy-covid-economy/

His voice and demeanor would depress you without even considering what he is saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

lawred2 wrote: »
    is this a joke?

every piece of consumer electronics originates from China... from pure crap to the highest end crap..

there you go, fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

MOR316 wrote: »
    No actually.

I really should be more cultured in my movie viewing

Culture is not a word to associate with Escape unless you spell it with a K! It's good pulpy genre fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Question for Simon Harris -is this a global pandemic?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

If you were an old person, surrounded by young people spreading the virus... You'd fancy your chances? Hmm... I wouldn't.

It wouldn't spread as much as they would get to herd immunity without serious effects.
    I think Africans don't live very long... because life is very hard and old people do not get "cocooned" in these places, like they might over here.

Some of the out of shape middle-aged people over here in the west, would be cannon fodder in many African countries. I'm talking about people who jump in the car to buy milk in the shop, because they're too out of shape to walk for 30-40 mins... those people would not last more than a couple of months in most African countries!

You are insisting on making my point for me, which is that Africa's younger ( and perhaps fitter) population will mean that Covid won't be as big a threat. Obviously there are other conditions over there ( ebola and TB) which would mean that getting this on top of those would be a problem, but in general Africa as a whole will do ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Cody montana

That was said about Giuliani after 911, he's way too close to Trump now.

Rudy is full blown crazy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭shmeee

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Got an email from work saying that the €350 payment is not applicable to those in reciept of the €203 temp lay off payment. Instead a precentage of you average earnings. Havent seen anything about this online though? Any idea?

Your employer can avail of the 70% of Net Pay scheme and pay you accordingly and if possible top you up to 100%. Max refund from the Revenue is €410 which is for someone on a €586 net pay. Different refunds for people on different pay levels.

It's the new wage subsidy scheme announced along with the €350 payment which is directly from the DEASP.

Both are different payments and people aren't aware of this and mixing them up.

https://revenue.ie/en/news/articles/guidance-on-the-temporary-covid-19-wage-subsidy-scheme.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,949 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ZX7R wrote: »
    You Will find it on the rte news

I see a list from yesterday but not the full list yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Question for Simon Harris -is this a global pandemic?

Why would he be the main source for that? But, yes, yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Unfortunately anyone who points out these immutable facts here is a pariah.

I thought you've been banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

awec wrote: »
    This is going to be the thing now for the next two weeks.

"OMG I SAW SOMEBODY OUTSIDE, THIS LOCKDOWN IS NOT WORKING !!!!"

While they themselves are outside, in the same vain as there were loads of idiots at the beach/pub/supermarket earlier when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

wakka12 wrote: »
    Similar to South Korea at the beginning of the outbreak , Germany's mortality rate continues to creep upward from an initial 0.2% to 0.75% today.

Germany havnt been counting deaths like other countries, they record patients as dying from underlying health difficulties rather than counting it as a Coronavirus death. Their official death count is too low.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FVP3 wrote: »
    My "bosses" in the EU have not done much either, truth be told.

But unlike the Orange man, they haven't tried to harm Europeans.

All Europeans who suppose the Orange man are clearly deranged. Europe needs to leave NATO ( who also done nothing although MASH hospitals, medics, and sterilising equipment exist in the US barracks) and ally with our new friends in China.
    Whatever about America, and lord knows they can be at best problematic at times, China is only friends with China and this has been the case throughout their history and culture. Their insularity is legendary. There is China and there is the rest of the world, the "foreign". The xenophobia and upfront racism within Chinese society would leave most Europeans aghast. Never mind that the government operates a totalitarian state, one near the top of the world charts in that category.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

So those people consider wearing a mask but others not? Given it's a pandemic and we need to break chains of transmission surely it would be in everyones interest to a) not get infected and b) to not spread that infection on.

Wearing PPE is extremely hard. Adds to the attritional nature of this. From a physics standpoint respirators do reduce risk for the wearer. Particularly full face ones with the appropriate filters etc. What are your thoughts on some of the latest studies about the airborne nature of the disease. What are your thoughts on the high percentage of healthcare workers infected here compared to other countries?

I don't disagree with you about people touching their face.That is bad but people touching their face with or without a mask is bad. https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/two-metres-not-enough-when-social-distancing-39083182.html

True, I have a blisters on the bridge of my nose and behind my ears.

I am not saying that people shouldnt wear masks, what I am concerned about is that people who wouldnt be familiar with the additional care that is needed to truly mitigate against the spread could actually increase risk. I also feel that mixed messages, officially or via fora like this also is a potential issue tbh. So with that in mind I offer guided opinion and would not claim absolute fact on any of this.

The consideration of supply of masks, and the hike in cost is something that bothers me as if somebody is ponying up €'s rather than cents for disposable masks then they will be reused rather than discarded.

During the H1N1 episode all frontline NHS staff were fitted with respirator type masks and given a supply of filters. Occupational health had us wear the masks, put 'canopy' over our head and pumped really obnoxious smelling gas in to the free space - if you got a whiff of anything then the mask was refitted. In some cases a mould of the lower face was taken if the genericly fitting ones didnt suit an individual. If everyone, especially in healthcare, were fitted with these it would certainly reduce the level of attrition (imo). Cost, supply, policy and subsequent time dealy means this hasnt happened (NHS) on this occasion. They were also reasonably comfortable to wear and visors could be clipped on and not perched on yer nose. Better and more effective all round!! I still have it so could post a pic if ye think it necessary as an example.

Full face visors will protect from direct particles from a cough and also prevent face touching. These would be of greater use to the general public also i believe than disposable masks. Dispoable masks have a lifespan in terms of microparticles of no more than 5 minutes (if they had in the first place even) - certainly the ones that are used as standard are damp and pretty rank after wearing one for any considerable length of time, from vapour in breathing or sweat or both. Evidence based research has shown that they dont make a sinificant difference to most patients in the clinical enviornment in terms of reducing post-op infection. For this reason many Operating Theatre staff opt not to wear them, at their own risk possibly but their non use can help improve communication, reduce costs among other things.

Anything that improves peoples wellbeing at the moment in psychological terms is not a bad thing but only with proper use that wont potentially exacerbate infection rates through misuse, complacency etc.

Of course this is all a very fluid situation so things change daily and it might very well be decided that the benefits outweigh the risk but at the moment I dont believe this is the case. When you see people wearing masks that are for dust particulate like those used on construction sites its is apparent that people dont rally understand the appropriate use in terms of preventing microorganism spread.

Im not sure if it is the time to really debate the pros and cons of disposable masks but there does need to be greater awareness of the potential pitfalls at the same time. Maybe that is to come as only so much information can be doled out before information fatigue kicks in.

As I said in my previous post, its my pennys worth - not a sort of dictat or rolling of eyes at those who do chose to wear masks etc.

(I wont go digging out the back up to this so I waill say that anecdotally Ebola infects less people who are in contact and Hazmat suits would be worn - of course the mortality rate is higher but they really are the only level of PPE that would be thorough but of course would be impractical on almost every level).

FVP3 wrote: »
    Why would he be the main source for that? But, yes, yes it is.

obviously not watching the government announcements but that's fine! Only so much one can take

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Germany havnt been counting deaths like other countries, they record patients as dying from underlying health difficulties rather than counting it as a Coronavirus death. Their official death count is too low.

Well, Germany have a history of playing around with numbers dead.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭josip

Very impressive, he is indeed something else.

Would be great if he was able to sneak on to the Dem ticket for the election. Could/would that happen now?

Be careful what you wish for.
    Rudi Giuliani was widely acclaimed for how he handled the 9/11 aftermath,

When polled just six weeks after the attack Giuliani received a 79% approval rating among New York City voters, a dramatic increase over the 36% rating he had received a year earlier

and look what a shyster he turned out to be.

loughside wrote: »
    there you go, fixed that for you

What device are you using to post here with?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9018/244976fb

This is the flight from Dublin to China to pickup PPE and other Equipment.

This is what’s waiting

That's wonderful. I wonder if any of that stuff is among the 90+ odd tonnes of PPE medical gear Chinese companies in Australia hosed from local stocks and shipped to China on chartered aircraft? There is some speculation that the shortage of such gear in Oz is due to these charming practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I had a conversation with a relative this morning. Failed to heed many warnings. They are taking more serious but still detected a hint of "give a ****". I mentioned how we really should avoid going out now if necessary. If you do contract it and get it bad you end up on isolation ward. No-one with you. No funeral etc.

This is the saddest aspect of the whole thing for me... dying in a busy ICU, without anyone you know around to comfort you. No funeral. It's like you are just a statistic in this giant global event.

You fight harder when you have family and friends visiting you and giving you encouragement and support... but these poor people don't even have any of that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Teemarie

How do the over 70s get food if no family living nearby. I've tried online but no deliveries available. While I believe the measures announced are necessary people only have a weeks shopping have been left now with very little. Parents usually do shop today. While my dad is 69 and I would prefer him to stay out of the shops if possible. They live 3 hours away. Only other sibling lives another 2 hrs away. Were there any options for people like this. Should stores to be delivering to the vulnerable only!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Teemarie wrote: »
    How do the over 70s get food if no family living nearby. I've tried online but no deliveries available. While I believe the measures announced are necessary people only have a weeks shopping have been left now with very little. Parents usually do shop today. While my dad is 69 and I would prefer him to stay out of the shops if possible. They live 3 hours away. Only other sibling lives another 2 hrs away. Were there any options for people like this. Should stores to be delivering to the vulnerable only!?

run the gauntlet

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

"You stay at home unless you really cant work from home" Simon Harris seems to imply that the likes of factory workers will be exempt workers

• Registered Users Posts: 81,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sky News showing outbreaks of civil unrest in southern Italy, people looting shops for food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Teemarie wrote: »
    How do the over 70s get food if no family living nearby.

From their window sills.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement