Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When and how will it end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Its a frigging disaster, I have no idea when this sh1t will end. But please god soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

By early June we'll probably have 50 to 60 thousand recovered, reinvention is unlikely so I'd assume these people would take up their jobs again, and the same the next month ,

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

BoatMad wrote: »
    What , it’s expected to devastate Africa , it’s a disease that particularly affects the poorest , or have you missed the reports about covid and refugee camps

Poor people dont usually travel and now tourists wont be travelling to locations of poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

It ends when you stop pretending to breathe, for this is all an illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Jeju wrote: »
    It's my belief and I am a modest person of simple beliefs that to defeat this virus we all have to get it, fight it and hope for the best outcome. This is not an option for elderly or people with underlying conditions that we are all aware of and also it now seems overweight and obese people of all ages. This is a disease of the first world, those who live in isolation and poverty will probably not succumb to it a kind of reversal of the Live Aid of the 80s. We have the science and will power to come to a solution in preventing or curing COVID19, until then I'm remaining pessimistic as to condition myself for the worse but hope for the best.

Once enough healthy people get it there will be a vaccine for the elderly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Poor people dont usually travel and now tourists wont be travelling to locations of poverty.

It’s already present on every continent except Antarctica , are you simply not reading any authoritative stuff in this

The first world is actually able to limit deaths , it will be devastating for poor regions

And the first world will develop a vaccine , you think , say Africans will get that fast .....

Once enough healthy people get it there will be a vaccine for the elderly.

I think you might mean antibodies

6541 wrote: »
    Its a frigging disaster, I have no idea when this sh1t will end. But please god soon.

Not ending soon , certainly not before June

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

It’s already present on every continent except Antarctica , are you simply not reading any authoritative stuff in this

The first world is actually able to limit deaths , it will be devastating for poor regions

And the first world will develop a vaccine , you think , say Africans will get that fast .....

True.... they will have to fight this themselves with no assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I think you might mean antibodies

What I think they are hinting at is that if healthy people in their 20 s and 30 s start dying things will progress quicker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I think ultimately we will have to risk the herd immunity route while attempting to “ cocoon “ the vulnerable

I would say that is the plan - with a vaccine 12 months away at best - they want to flatten the curve so as to reduce the load on the health services - be tough - as other medical emergencies also need to be treated - heart attack/ cancer treatment etc.

Once the anti-body test become readily available - May time, we will understand how many people have in fact been infected with many being assymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I'd say it will take 2 years to go back to normal. A lot of zombie businesses like GE will collapse and businesses will start caring about hygiene finally. Governments will keep a strategic stockpile of everything to prevent future shortages.

General Electric are going to collapse? I best inform them

True.... they will have to fight this themselves with no assistance.

Rubbish. They're already getting assistance. You think the UN, and the WHO have focused their attentions entirely on the wealthy nations? Even China has got involved in sending equipment (admittedly dodgy), and personnel to other Asian countries and Africa to help.

Poor countries will face a serious danger but they're not completely alone. They are receiving resources that will help them to save more lives than they could have done without. Is it enough? Not a chance, but realistically, it wouldn't be enough even if covid hadn't spread to Europe or the US.

no.8 wrote: »
    General Electric are going to collapse? I best inform them

Highly doubtful. One of the most successful companies of all time collapse? haha.. they probably have one of the best types of business infrastructure to survive such a scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

When are the pubs even have a chance of reopening...June...July...?

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    When are the pubs even have a chance of reopening...June...July...?

If we take China as an example , maybe 3-4 months , could be sooner, could be later

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

I think ultimately we will have to risk the herd immunity route while attempting to “ cocoon “ the vulnerable

I am thinking something like this. I just don't think the Country can stay in a lockdown for 6-8 months to totally contain the virus and it doesn't look like a vaccine will be developed by then. The lockdown will probably be four weeks, essentially April. I think that the Country will be back partially during May/June but not everything will be back(i.e. offices will still be encouraged/told to work from home where possible/ social distancing will be enforced/ sporting events will be behind closed doors and not back till probably September/ pubs will probably not be allowed back till August/September and at that there will probably be limits to people in the pubs and I'm not sure that the coming out of the lockdown will be the great big piss up some people envisage that it is gong to be ).

I could be wrong on all of the above however!

I suppose we will have to look to Korea to see where they are going with their measures as they seem to be having some kind of success against the disease and flattened the curve, Germany and Israel seem to be doing good also. China too seems to have flattened the curve but you just cant compare China to Ireland.

I am thinking something like this. I just don't think the Country can stay in a lockdown for 6-8 months to totally contain the virus and it doesn't look like a vaccine will be developed by then. The lockdown will probably be four weeks, essentially April. I think that the Country will be back partially during May/June but not everything will be back(i.e. offices will still be encouraged/told to work from home where possible/ social distancing will be enforced/ sporting events will be behind closed doors and not back till probably September/ pubs will probably not be allowed back till August/September and at that there will probably be limits to people in the pubs and I'm not sure that the coming out of the lockdown will be the great big piss up some people envisage that it is gong to be ).

I could be wrong on all of the above however!

I suppose we will have to look to Korea to see where they are going with their measures as they seem to be having some kind of success against the disease and flattened the curve, Germany and Israel seem to be doing good also. China too seems to have flattened the curve but you just cant compare China to Ireland.

Germany has one of the largest ICU bed capacity per capita in the world , we do not , the outcomes will be very asymmetric , just like Italy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A lot of panic in this thread. Remember the lockdown is a good thing. Someone mentioned it already in this thread, you have to look at how the virus operates. It takes 2-3 weeks to materialise, therefore we lockdown for that period. Limit spread. If numbers are flattening by then, the government will consider its next move. Speculating, as a previous poster pointed out, they will likely extend another couple of weeks if evidence of flattening is apparent.

What helps? The general public playing our part by social distancing properly. That’s up to us. Not the government or the Gardai.

If there is no improvement that’s when things become a concern. It means we continue to lockdown.

In reality, an indefinite lockdown is not sustainable. There’s not a hope in hell of a lockdown like this in to the summer and beyond. Aside from the global economic perspective, there would be public unrest.

Finally, regarding virus mutation and annual reoccurrences, scientists have already broken down the virus’s genetic code and found that it doesn’t mutate the same way as the flu. Therefore it’s highly unlikely we will need a new vaccination every year. Although there is a theory that if the virus did mutate (which can be triggered when a virus has no new hosts to infect), it could become more contagious but less lethal. Something seen in many other viruses.

That’s my 2c. Is it a scary time? Hell yes. But it’s temporary and we will come out of it. Not all at once, but we will. But for now, we follow the rule of law as best we can. Something the vast majority of people are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

BoatMad wrote:

One thing that worries many is that this virus may be more far spread than we realise due to many people having little to no real symptoms from it.

But I'm wondering if this is actually a good thing, and it means that more people will get immunity to it in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Not ending soon , certainly not before June

Woke up in the middle of the night and got some of the BBC news, something about the curve not being half as catastrophic as they thought, something about five thousand deaths in the uk instead of many more? Sounded positive. Must look it up today to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Woke up in the middle of the night and got some of the BBC news, something about the curve not being half as catastrophic as they thought, something about five thousand deaths in the uk instead of many more? Sounded positive. Must look it up today to clarify.

5000 deaths sounds positive ...............right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

5000 deaths sounds positive ...............right.

Yes, as opposed to 50,000.

No deaths would be ideal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

We would know a lot more if the Chinese government had not started to tell porkies about how bad things are over there. It is obvious given the global figure now that they are not telling the truth. The UN should sanction them over it. I don't care that the virus was instigated there, shít happens that no one has any control over. But wiping it under the table now is appalling behaviour. I respect that they are trying to help other countries, but give us the real numbers for phuck sake.

begbysback wrote: »
    Vaccine will be ready by 8 weeks, as you were

Would you take a vaccine without being trialled properly?

We're talking 16-18 months for a vaccine, minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

begbysback wrote: »
    Vaccine will be ready by 8 weeks, as you were

Lol what?

You do realise vaccines need to be thoroughly tested for 12-18 months first right?

Would you take a vaccine without being trialled properly?

We're talking 16-18 months for a vaccine, minimum.

Through a western system. China will test their own vaccines on their own population (already have started with volunteers from the internet), and will likely release a vaccine in a much shorter time frame.

With both the WHO and other medical organisations observing the Chinese efforts, they'll probably be able to roll out a vaccine far quicker than they would normally (having to stick to western precautions)

It just depends on how effective the Chinese vaccine is, and whether their corner cutting pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The destruction of natural habitat and factory farming and the mixing of wildlife in wet markets makes viruses like this more likely to happen, so I think they'll just keep coming.
    We kind of deserve it with how we treat the planet though.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/destroyed-habitat-creates-the-perfect-conditions-for-coronavirus-to-emerge/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I suppose we will have to look to Korea to see where they are going with their measures as they seem to be having some kind of success against the disease and flattened the curve, Germany and Israel seem to be doing good also.

Hong Kong & Singapore also seem to have largely got on top of it andcwith apparently less stringent measures than have been applied in Europe. I'm convinced the Asian countries have some crucial advantage over Europe when it comes to combating this, whether that's climate or genetics, or social organisation or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Highly doubtful. One of the most successful companies of all time collapse? haha.. they probably have one of the best types of business infrastructure to survive such a scenario.

They haven't been successful in two decades

Advertisement