Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x10 - "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I enjoyed that better than episode 9. Maybe there was some parts that were not great mostly in the first 25 minutes but after that it got much better and this time I liked the flower weapons they actually looked well done compared to the last episode where they somehow magically took down both the La Sirena and a Borg Cube without a shot being fired.

I thought the Seven V Nareks sister fight was kind of just squeezed in and did not really add anything to this episode but yes she got what was coming to her and it was cool when Seven said that's for Hugh.

The part I really did not like do was oh look a magic tool that makes anything you want all you have to do is think of it lol. Also the engine room if you can even call it that on the La Sirena is crap and so is his warp core. Its more like something from Stargate all it was missing was crystals when the drawer came out.

It was cool to see Riker in Uniform again and as Captain but do agree is dialogue was terrible and yes more quality and less quantity with the ships would have been so much better. Still it was nice to see some Starfleet ships that looked like Starfleet ships even if the CGI was terrible. I enjoyed that better than episode 9. Maybe there was some parts that were not great mostly in the first 25 minutes but after that it got much better and this time I liked the flower weapons they actually looked well done compared to the last episode where they somehow magically took down both the Le Serenta and a Borg Cube without a shot being fired.

The part I really did not like do was oh look a magic tool that makes anything you want all you have to do is think of it lol. Also the engine room if you can even call it that on the Le Serenta is crap and so is his warp core. Its more like something from Stargate all it was missing was crystals when the drawer came out.

It was cool to see Riker in Uniform again and as Captain but yes more quality and less quantity with the ships would have been so much better. Still it was nice to see some Starfleet ships that looked like Starfleet ships even if the CGI was terrible.

I do not see do how Picard is supposed to have sacrificed himself for Soji and the other Androids/synths if he was going to die anyway. I do think they should have just maybe let him die but bringing him back in the Golum is just an easy work around to get rid of what he had that killed him I suppose.

The Picard Data scene was lovely do and I should have watched ''Nemesis'' before it really wish I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

fritzelly wrote: »
    The D class will always be my favourite
    Xertz wrote: »
    Quite likely won’t be a season 2 due to coronavirus. Television drama production has had to cease.

It could easily be 2021

I would say 2022 myself. America is higher than China now for the amount of people that have it and not far behind Spain and Italy for the amount of people dying from it unfortunately and there President really does not have a clue. If anything good can come from this in America hopefully it will be that the Americans see how so far out of his depth there current President is that they might whenever they do eventually get to the poles elect a proper President that has an idea and is willing to learn, who has some empathy and morals unlike there current one. I really think that there current one is an Android. He might as well be because he has about as much feeling as Lore without the emotion chip.

The D class will always be my favourite

There is no D Class. The Enterprise D if that is what you mean was a Galaxy Class ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Solid 8.5 for the series

7 and raffi makes sense... considering there was something going on between Janeway and 7

The only thing going on between Seven and Janeway, for much of the series, was animosity. And that goes for Jeri Ryan and Kate Mulgrew in real life too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,893 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So everyone is immortal now and can live forever through brain swapping into new superhuman robot bodies? That's now canon? What an utter heap of sh1t. I started out with such high hopes but they steadily dipped with each episode, turning into pure hatred around the time of those hologram adverts/Legolas showing up. The finale was the worst of all.

You just have to accept Star Trek is dead and they'll never make a proper film or series again, theres nobody left in Hollywood who gets it, they'll just keep flogging the corpse and churning out hideous crap like this. Surprised there wasnt a transexual or a Donald Trump character shoehorned in somewhere.

All you can do is rewatch TNG/DS9 and VOY every few years, a true golden age. Turn on any random episode of TNG and see scenes like this that if you gave JJ Abrams and the Picard team 10 years and $10 billion and they wouldn't be able to come close:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"did you Fúck any of them"

/me out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Question.

Does Picard love Data?

OR

Does Picard actually love LOVE Data?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Just thinking of it now. The universe is in great peril and barely survives being annihilated by a great inter-dimensional threat, and Starfleet just heads off and leaves Picard to it. Nobody hangs back to see whats going on or file a report? Then we hear, out of nowhere, that the ban on synths has been lifted with no fanfare or discourse. Nonsensical given the emphasis placed on the synths story line and the importance of finding that planet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Just thinking of it now. The universe is in great peril and barely survives being annihilated by a great inter-dimensional threat, and Starfleet just heads off and leaves Picard to it. Nobody hangs back to see whats going on or file a report? Then we hear, out of nowhere, that the ban on synths has been lifted with no fanfare or discourse. Nonsensical given the emphasis placed on the synths story line and the importance of finding that planet.

The pacing of the entire season was all over the place. It had a ponderous and wasteful approach on some things, and badly rushed other things. It would have benefited greatly from a more aggressive editor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Zhat Vash soldiers: Use personal transporters to fight Dajh
    Narissa: Use personal transporter to escape XB's
    Also Narissa: Aiiieeeeee I am falling down the Borg cube shaft. Goodbye world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Poor episode overall.

the copy/paste of the STO quality looking ships was ****ing awful.
    Like at least have a varied fleet lads.

The resurrection of Picard I wasn't happy with, would prefer him to last until Season 2 and then die.

The left field lesbians, like where did that come from. Not even a mention of poor Chakotay.

A Finish guy made a fan movie a few years ago which was Starfleet Vs Babylon 5, basically that was higher quality than Riker sitting on the bridge.
    Also he retired as an Admiral, you don't come back as a lesser rank.

But the scene with Picard/Data pulled on the heart strings, amazing but.. where the **** was Geordi????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But the scene with Picard/Data pulled on the heart strings, amazing but.. where the **** was Geordi????

He was busy with Hugh's afterlife dream.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Also, seriously .. what's with this terrible fear of immortality they all seem to have. It would be great! One less thing to worry about.

Human or machine, who want's to age?

It would seem to me that Data had the one thing that humans have dreamt of for millennia, yet just threw it all away to be more human.

Never understood that line of thinking.

Likewise one could easily imagine TNG Picard just going for life immortality at a dignified looking 50-60 and spending millennia exploring the universe. He wouldn't' have traded it for a few years for no reason if he didn't have to. I mean the guy had a to of very time consuming hobbies, like archaeology, to be getting on with!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Never has a fleet of starships looked so bland and boring.

Which one of these is Riker supposed to be on, leading the fleet? They don't even seem to have names or registries.

And why 100s of these things anyway. They could have had 3 or 4 ships on each side, given them a bit of character and filmed them properly, and it would have felt just as threatening, if not more-so. These things might as well be shuttle-crafts for all we know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I would suspect the reason they 'zipped' out of shot so quickly is they didn't spend a huge budget doing CGI to get them all sophisticated looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Thargor wrote: »
    So everyone is immortal now and can live forever through brain swapping into new superhuman robot bodies? That's now canon? What an utter heap of sh1t. I started out with such high hopes but they steadily dipped with each episode, turning into pure hatred around the time of those hologram adverts/Legolas showing up. The finale was the worst of all.

You just have to accept Star Trek is dead and they'll never make a proper film or series again, theres nobody left in Hollywood who gets it, they'll just keep flogging the corpse and churning out hideous crap like this. Surprised there wasnt a transexual or a Donald Trump character shoehorned in somewhere.

All you can do is rewatch TNG/DS9 and VOY every few years, a true golden age. Turn on any random episode of TNG and see scenes like this that if you gave JJ Abrams and the Picard team 10 years and $10 billion and they wouldn't be able to come close:

We all have a tendency to think things were better in the past. TNG was a great series I would agree . So was DS9 but Voyager ?? Really . Sure it had some great episodes but some really boring characters.
    Trek had to evolve somewhat. The next generation was different from the original . I think Picard is more trek than Discovery because PICARD is more positive. The federation got it's moral act together. Picard found a new purpose etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

One more question from me....why is Theon Greyjoy in space ?

I was somewhat ok with him just looking like him, but now his character redemption arc is the exact same...with a bit of space lanisters thrown in.

Im a bit confused about DATA. Where was his consciousness all this time? Why did he want to die?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Evade

What was the point of this series? It's such a disjointed mess of go nowhere padding plots for something that's supposed to be a continuous story.

Picard's "death" might have had a little more weight if we didn't know a second series was on the way. Data's death wish doesn't make much sense when he could have been downloaded into a Picard style body with a finite lifespan. And on that why didn't they put him in a new body before the series since they already had his mind?

It's nice to see there's seemingly no consequences for anything. Jurati gets off for murdering Maddox, Oh was exposed as a spy and led an invasion fleet into Federation space and was just asked to leave. The synth ban was overturned somehow, I'm sure that was a popular move in the Federation this series showed.

The Seven and Raffi thing makes Rios and Jurati look like a whirlwind romance. I suspect that shot will be cut from some regions.

Why does Soji insist the synths aren't organic? Dahj definitely looked like she was when she was being vapourised and that eye looked like an eye.

There's definitely a good story to be told with some of the elements they tried to bring up but this isn't it.

Evade wrote: »
    What was the point of this series? It's such a disjointed mess of go nowhere padding plots for something that's supposed to be a continuous story.

Picard's "death" might have had a little more weight if we didn't know a second series was on the way. Data's death wish doesn't make much sense when he could have been downloaded into a Picard style body with a finite lifespan. And on that why didn't they put him in a new body before the series since they already had his mind?

It's nice to see there's seemingly no consequences for anything. Jurati gets off for murdering Maddox, Oh was exposed as a spy and led an invasion fleet into Federation space and was just asked to leave. The synth ban was overturned somehow, I'm sure that was a popular move in the Federation this series showed.

The Seven and Raffi thing makes Rios and Jurati look like a whirlwind romance. I suspect that shot will be cut from some regions.

Why does Soji insist the synths aren't organic? Dahj definitely looked like she was when she was being vapourised and that eye looked like an eye.

There's definitely a good story to be told with some of the elements they tried to bring up but this isn't it.

I agree with you on Picards death and the series was somewhat disjointed. I am confused why DATA wanted to die?He wasnt even Picard's age? But overall it worked for me. I enjoyed it-plot holes and all.

Looking back on the whole I’ll give the series a 7 and I was expecting a 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Im a bit confused about DATA. Where was his consciousness all this time? Why did he want to die?

He watched the previous episodes? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭pah

Just looking at another source and it referenced Nareks exposition piece where he days" when our ancestors arrived on Vulcan, blah blah blah...."

I hadn't copped it myself at the time but Christ that is poor in terms of continuity, script writing and proofing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

So, questions:

What happened to the Borg cube? Did they just leave it there, semi-functional, on the homeworld of a species that can summon a robo-Cthulhu?? Bit odd to just forget about it after spending so much time on it earlier in the season.
    Raffia and 7. I suppose it makes sense given all the time they spent together earlier in the season. Oh. Wait...
    Where were they flying off to at the end? Rios was hired to do a job, and that job is done. Are they a proper crew now?
    How the blazes did Narissa get from the bridge of a Romulan ship to the cube? I mean other than fulfilling the plot requirement of giving 7 someone to fight.
    So we've completely forgotten about the Romulan spy who spent most of his time this season trying to kill the synths? Yeah, okay then.
    Why is Riker an "acting" captain? That was his actual rank the last time we saw him in Nemesis. Then again, his previous episode seems to have forgotten that tid bit entirely, so at least it's consistently wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Rawr

Also, and this really bugged me, was that MASSIVE federation fleet all the same class of ship? Ctrl + V needed to be eased up a bit...

This bugged me a lot. Over the years of practical model work and early CGI they've always managed to give us a good pick'n'mix of Starfleet vessels in an armada. A sky full of near identical clones of what I think is the Enterprise F design facing off a Copy/Paste fleet of warbirds was visually very boring. Come on guys, much of the fun of this show was TNG references. Throw in some Sovereign Class varients as an example of older ships. Hell...even throw in some Miranda Class...those things last forever :D

As for the episode......hmm....for a show where Picard actually dies, it was kind of slow and boring. I was a little annoyed with the cop-out with Picard's death but they were sort of for-shadowing it a bit.

The end of Data did work though...it felt like a proper goodbye for him....with him finally at last getting to be a mortal human (sort of). It was sad to see him go, but it felt right that he did.

Seven still works, and I'm glad that we're getting more of her. Although, god damn it, what is it about shoe-horning un-explained romances into her story in the last episode of a season. This is Chakotay all over again :D

So...a surprisingly sequel-friendly ending there. Room for a Season 2 if Robo-Picard is up to it. I'd probably watch that, but they'll need to do a better job with the overall plot next time, they sort of ran out of steam there in the last few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Chikotay didn’t Seven....EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS !!!

I must be missing on something there. Weren’t they a thing for a while?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The point all along of Picard was, it turns out, Data. A big 10 episode dawdle to get to a point where Picard had a chance to say goodbye properly. I guess a do over on Nemesis' sloppy ending. Beyond that I'm just not sure sure. Will think more on it but a bit disappointing as finales go.

For a few minutes, I'd honestly thought Trek might pull a Dr Who and regenerate Picard into a younger actor. Crazy, controversial but it would have been something at least. Instead, it was a laziest rugpull I've seen from a script in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Jesus not sure what to make of it. Overall I somewhat enjoyed the season. It was watchable as the saying goes.

Star Trek Discovery on the other hand was a compete disaster for me gave up watching it half way through
    having watched all previous star treks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But the Seven/Raffi thing was so obvious in episode 5... apparently

https://ie.ign.com/articles/picard-finale-michael-chabon-data-death-seven-raffi-star-trek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭pah

Don't agree with everything this guy has to say but I share the overall sentiment and points made by him about this shows issues.

Advertisement