Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

BOI and Credit Union doing great job at enforcing distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

g1983d wrote: »
    People can choose to stay at home, that in effect is lockdown, personal responsibility

Not as dramatic as LOCKDOWN in caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Even if Kerry has only a fraction of the cases in Dublin or Cork, a jump from 12 to 15 is still significant:

http://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a192b58ba6904c1494f651706c223520

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/summary/

Interactive map, just click on "KERRY" to show 15 cases confirmed (as reported so far).
    Shake shack, the castle and those in Banna to follow

LOCKDOWN
    Better safe (at home) than sorry, but hopefully we look back and wonder what this overreaction was all about.

"I like it when people are thinking I'm overreacting," Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases "because that means we're doing it just right." Fauci's point is that "when you're dealing with an emerging infectious disease outbreak, you are always behind where you think you are, if you think that today reflects where you really are."
    That's especially true with a disease like COVID-19, since the vast majority of infections involve mild to nonexistent symptoms. In the absence of widespread testing, the number of known cases therefore creates a misleading picture of the epidemic.
    Fauci was referring to the guidelines recommending that elderly and people with serious pre-existing medical conditions remain at home. They also advise the general public to avoid bars, restaurants, unnecessary travel, and groups of more than 10 people and confining millions of people to their homes except for "essential" purposes. That includes not going to Banna btw so show some personal responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Even if Kerry has only a fraction of the cases in Dublin or Cork, a jump from 12 to 15 is still significant:

http://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a192b58ba6904c1494f651706c223520

With testing being ramped up over the last 7-10 days...it's actually not...it will continue to rise... but it's going to be expected...I'd be more worried if there were no new cases.... then we'd know people weren't getting tested.
    The systems are in place..and overall they're working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Adiboo wrote: »
    BOI and Credit Union doing great job at enforcing distancing.

Have to disagree re BOI. When I was in town Monday the queue to get in the building which is managed ending up merging and mingling with the queue for the ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Killarney would have been a problem, I believe, if the restrictions had not come into place when it did. The town is sparse now compared to what it usually is.
    They must get close to half and million people going through there each year ( if not even more ). Social distancing is something that people will want to be aware of themselves, especially those standing in queues waiting to get into shops etc. We will keep our fingers crossed that the numbers here stay relatively low.
    Stay safe everyone!

kn wrote: »
    Have to disagree re BOI. When I was in town Monday the queue to get in the building which is managed ending up merging and mingling with the queue for the ATM.

Admittedly, I did catch them at a quiet time but the had security keeping us at a distance outside. Hopefully just teething problems.

I only went down because I received my debit card but have not gotten my PIN yet, so could only access my money in person. I will aim to do everything online in future.

England have gotten to the party much later than we have so they have to push much harder now so as not to be overwhelmed. A situation like Italy is very likely there.
    Herd immunity won’t work in a situation like this where many people will become sick at the same time. Way more people will die needlessly because of it.
    Our system is running pretty much exactly as predicted according to the modeling from day one, and we are now getting to the stage where the figures from when the lockdown started last week will be accounted for and hopefully a trend for the flatter curve will be prevalent. There will indeed be huge pressure on the hospitals but hopefully manageable pressure. If not, then further restrictions are obviously necessary.
    We are ramping up testing also, so more people will obviously appear through this. Testing in the UK is not even close to what we are doing.
    If you look at the N.I versus the southern Irish figures this variation is obvious.
    It should be noted that the hospitals are really ramping up bed spaces and ICU alongside the testing stations being set up to account for the predicated levels.
    Our much more sparse population compared to Europe and the UK, alongside our earlier action in trying to get ahead will surely stand to us too.
    I would say there is a large amount of the population that have this, go untested, are asymptomatic but infectious, which leads to the very speedy spread.
    There is a huge amount of rubbish posted everywhere about this, and most people really have no idea what they are talking about.
    Get informed.

Amongst much hyperbole this gentle man speaks the truth.

Erudite observations. A tip of the hat to you good sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got word that I can work from home which is good news.
    How I mange that and homeschooling is another issue.

Have my test on Friday a week after booking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Got word that I can work from home which is good news.
    How I mange that and homeschooling is another issue.

Have my test on Friday a week after booking.

When did you start showing symptoms?

Offies still open, I guess they are deemed "essential". Saw a post that Homesavers in Manor also deemed "essential". There's not a whole lot closing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    When did you start showing symptoms?

Honestly not sure if it's an ongoing normal viral infection or C19 but I'm high risk so my GP requested a test.
    Ive been off since last Friday and can now work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,184 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How many test centres in total in Kerry now?

Was in town today.. Hugh Culloty... Techneek were open... Sports direct had closed... but were discussing whether to reopen or not

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Adiboo wrote: »
    Offies still open, I guess they are deemed "essential". Saw a post that Homesavers in Manor also deemed "essential". There's not a whole lot closing really.

Any business remaining open which isn’t in fact an essential service should be ashamed of themselves. This includes off licences and clothes shops etc. It’s utterly ridiculous. It’s giving the general public a reason to be out and spread the virus.

Unless u are providing a services which is immediately essential to the running of a home or business you should be closed.

Shame on those trying to make a quick buck while the rest have done the right but very tough decision to close.

I’d sooner support any business that has closed than one who has remained open trying to capitalise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Going by the digital dashboard, Kerry has gone from 15 cases yesterday to 33 today!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Honestly not sure if it's an ongoing normal viral infection or C19 but I'm high risk so my GP requested a test.
    Ive been off since last Friday and can now work from home.

Hopefully its negative for you.
    Its hard not to worry though. I think we are all going to become a bit paranoid by the end of this. I keep wondering if I feel sick, I'm fine, but always that little thing wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Going by the digital dashboard, Kerry has gone from 15 cases yesterday to 33 today!

I Wonder how many of these would have been a result of The BurgerShack / CastleBar Cheltenham gang.

that's a fair bit of a jump! I know more testing is going on, but its a lot from the 1 a day which we were seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    that's a fair bit of a jump! I know more testing is going on, but its a lot from the 1 a day which we were seeing.

It is a big jump. One thing to take into account is that any who has been tested while an inpatient will have their results fast tracked as the isolation beds are needed so if they're negative they can free up those beds. A relative off mine was tested in KUH and got her results the next day. She's negative, thank god. But had she not been admitted she wouldn't even have had her test yet! She was promptly turfed out of the single room back onto the shared ward. If the hospital is seeing an increase in admissions it might account for the jump in numbers of confirmed cases. It is a bit worrying that we have more confirmed cases than Limerick, though.

I think all things considered we are doing quite well if you compare our current rate of infection to Leo's prediction of 15,000 cases/30%a day increase by the end of March which he foretasted in his Saint Patrick's Day address.

Perhaps its a legacy of all our years subjugated by our Saxon overseers but Irish people are passive and malleable and the social distancing is generally well observed.

The media hyperbole over packed beaches last weekend will not be repeated this coming Sabbath.

Our colonial cousins across the water are in all sorts of mither in comparison.

I never thought I would be pro Blue Shirt but Leo and his cohort have done a fine job thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

I was actually in Homesense a few days ago and I like it there for lots of things, it's always pretty empty so easy to distance oneself and I picked up several things like Dettol spray, black bags, baking powder, biscuits, a few other grocery/cleaning items and painting stuff that saved me going to likes of Tesco and Woodies.

Better in some ways to spread the customers rather than cramming into fewer shops

Clab mor wrote: »
    Any business remaining open which isn’t an essential service should be ashamed of themselves. This includes off licences and clothes shops etc.
    Unless a services is essential you should be closed.
    Shame on those trying to make a quick buck.....

Agreed.

Kev,
    Galway gang following a horse in Cheltenham came back with more than empty pockets it seems.
    Big jump to 40 cases now.

Argos is closed. I thought that might have come in the essential services guideline where IT and office supplies could stay open. It seemed busy enough in the last week with people getting all kinds of bits and pieces for mobiles etc I guess in the event that something breaks down in the next 2 to 3 months.

Kerry has gone from being a an under reporter compared to the average to being an over reporter of positive tests on average population which considering that Dublin in particular is way above their population ratio suggests we might have a hotspot down here somewhere.

Donegal similar population just 11; Louth similar population but adjacent to Dublin 18; Meath a bit bigger population but also adjacent to Dublin 24.

kn wrote: »
    Kerry has gone from being a an under reporter compared to the average to being an over reporter of positive tests on average population which considering that Dublin in particular is way above their population ratio suggests we might have a hotspot down here somewhere.

Donegal similar population just 11; Louth similar population but adjacent to Dublin 18; Meath a bit bigger population but also adjacent to Dublin 24.

Instead of looking at this as a negative, we should be looking to it as a positive...
    Our testing system here is too notch, thousands are being tested....over the next few days the numbers may slow a little as testers will only accept people showing 2 or more symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Instead of looking at this as a negative, we should be looking to it as a positive...
    Our testing system here is too notch, thousands are being tested....over the next few days the numbers may slow a little as testers will only accept people showing 2 or more symptoms.

Hopefully it should help and as well people will get the results back quicker

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'd actually expect the opposite as the daily figures for the past week or more have been artificially limited by the number of tests that could be processed in 24 hours.

In recent days testing capacity has been ramped up, and will continue to over the coming days too.

At the same time, the decision to focus testing on cases that are more likely to be positive will see the percentage of tests returning positive results abruptly jump too.

So we could see a further acceleration in daily new confirmed cases over the next week or so before it starts to ease off and then hopefully decline.

But I agree, our testing regime has been top-notch and we should be proud of the work the HSE has been doing on it.

Advertisement