Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CORONAVIRUS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Anyone around the center of town lunchtime today?
    Hazmat clad paramedics went into a house beside 4 lanterns.......
    Two ambulances.

It has arrived.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Anyone around the center of town lunchtime today?
    Hazmat clad paramedics went into a house beside 4 lanterns.......
    Two ambulances.

It has arrived.

They probably just had a dodgy curry chips the night before and need a hazmat team to clean the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

Just curious on peoples opinions on the Coronavirus and how the HSE / Dept of Health are handling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Black Bart wrote: »
    Just curious on peoples opinions on the Coronavirus and how the HSE / Dept of Health are handling it.
    That can be discussed here as it is a national issue and not exclusive to Sligo.

However feel free to post about how Sligo and surrounding areas is being affected. Any premises businesses closed? Any shortage of foodstuff? What shops are providing sanitizing for the customers? etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Connolly's pub closing at 12.30 tonight until further notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

A lot of Cafes already closed until further notice.
    4 Lanterns have notified that they are take away only.
    Lola's and Andersons are closed too I believe.

Hitting the town hard, but has to be done.

Hopefully all these places open back up again as soon as is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tei.tenga

the issue with people of sligo is their not taking any precaution whatsoever, even after the whole panic two days ago they were still roaming about the town carefree like they aren't putting their own or other peoples health at risk. with the increased cases the past few days (that are soon to rise) people should be exempt from work, companies should advance holiday or sick day pays instead of caring about their profit over wellbeing and people need to prepare necessities then STAY IN AT HOME. it's ridiculous the ignorance people possess around this ****hole of a town. regardless of you believing it's ''only a bad flu'' or ''it's all scaremongering'', you could potentially put someone at risk or worse, be their fatality. if you have a death wish or generally are a mindless dirtbox and don't have any consideration for yourself, at least have the decency to piss off home and isolate yourself for the sake of others.

the sooner people wake the **** up, the sooner this will be over..

Lang's and Moran's in Grange closing after today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Any chance Sligo CoCo have suspended parking charges for people who work in town during coronavirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Any chance Sligo CoCo have suspended parking charges for people who work in town during coronavirus?
    I would say not..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

How does that help anyone if you're still working?

How does that help anyone if you're still working?

I take public transport into town, social distancing that's how it helps.

Any else been watching the World Health Organisation's daily coronavirus updates? A very impressive man from Curry, Dr Michael Ryan seems to be the go to man for information, updates, bad news, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes....he’s excellent. Unfortunately a lot of people have absolutely no cop on whatsoever. I was going out for a walk today and on the way there I decided to swing by the retail park. In my naivety I presumed all the shops except possibly Homebase would be closed. How wrong was I! Nearly every shop is open and the car park was mobbed. I couldn’t care less what policies each store has in only admitting a few people at a time etc.,-shops like HomeStore and More and Harry Corrys DO NOT NEED to be open. By being open they are encouraging people to go out and be in crowds unnecessarily.
    I honestly for the life of me cannot understand how people can be so stupid.
    Any else been watching the World Health Organisation's daily coronavirus updates? A very impressive man from Curry, Dr Michael Ryan seems to be the go to man for information, updates, bad news, etc.

Same in Mullaghmore. People everywhere.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Same in Mullaghmore. People everywhere.

Were in mullaghmore ourselves today. A few around, most on the beach. It’s a big beach so if families keep their distance from other families I don’t see a great deal of risk. We all need a bit of fresh air and exercise. Tbh I’ve kept my family more than the recommended distance away from everyone for the past week and a half. We just keep to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Got to admit to go shopping in ballina yesterday , got some antibac spray and soap that I could not get in Sligo.

Dunnes were letting in people one at a time and making people put on hand gel as they entered and security guards were making sure you folowed the tape markings on the floor (one way system) and making sure you kept 1.5m (or was it 2m?) from person in front ... that was outside the store. Inside the store I tried to keep 2m away from people but it was impossible , they were passing me and standing right next to me so it ends up being a pointless exercise when your actually at the shelves... but then you are back to being seperated at the till area.

The bakery opposite Dunnes were wearing masks and gloves and wiping down everywhere

The chemist across the way were selling Anti Bac hand gel in 1ltr bottle for €10 but in fairness it was aloe vera and they seemed like they were the only place in the whole of Ballina (most probably the world!) where you could buy it. - The 'pound shop' (wispeys is it) had load of antibac liquid soap and loads of antibac kitchen surface clear and wipes and latex gloves , all cheap (they werent hiking up prices) no antibac hand gel to be had - again plenty of people near eachother inside the shop, nobody was making the effort to distance really too hard. - seperation at the till, and the girl who changed over shift on till put antibac gel on her hand and then wore gloves, they encouraged tap and pay.
    Amazing old people wandering around in both Dunnes and wispeys and Lidl ... looking like death warmed up! - why dont they bloody stay at home! - If I had elderly relitive right now I would doing my damndest to get them to isolate.
    Some old girl in Wispeys was just in there to ask for a ball of string!- I mean bloody hell the bloody string can wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

johnire wrote: »
    Yes....he’s excellent. Unfortunately a lot of people have absolutely no cop on whatsoever. I was going out for a walk today and on the way there I decided to swing by the retail park. In my naivety I presumed all the shops except possibly Homebase would be closed. How wrong was I! Nearly every shop is open and the car park was mobbed. I couldn’t care less what policies each store has in only admitting a few people at a time etc.,-shops like HomeStore and More and Harry Corrys DO NOT NEED to be open. By being open they are encouraging people to go out and be in crowds unnecessarily.
    I honestly for the life of me cannot understand how people can be so stupid.

Totally agree, there is not one store on the retail park that could say they are remaining open due to providing a "necessary" service. It's the poor staff in the Centra's and Supervalu's of this world I feel sorry for. We are all relying on these especially if you live way out of town and rely on your local stores to provide goods and save an unnecessary trip into town, which is where we should be at surely??? I take my hat off to these guys and thank them.
    I have friends who work in a couple of different stores on the retail park and they are all very scared naturally of catching this virus and passing it on.
    The sad reality is, that as long as there are people going into those stores, they will never close unless the Government forces them to do so.
    The even more sad reality, is that idiots who go "browsing" through the stores might just possibly not know the damage they are doing.
    I hope to God that someone see's sense and closes them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭johnire

You’re absolutely spot on..... if only the rest of the population thought like you.
    whatswhat wrote: »
    Totally agree, there is not one store on the retail park that could say they are remaining open due to providing a "necessary" service. It's the poor staff in the Centra's and Supervalu's of this world I feel sorry for. We are all relying on these especially if you live way out of town and rely on your local stores to provide goods and save an unnecessary trip into town, which is where we should be at surely??? I take my hat off to these guys and thank them.
    I have friends who work in a couple of different stores on the retail park and they are all very scared naturally of catching this virus and passing it on.
    The sad reality is, that as long as there are people going into those stores, they will never close unless the Government forces them to do so.
    The even more sad reality, is that idiots who go "browsing" through the stores might just possibly not know the damage they are doing.
    I hope to God that someone see's sense and closes them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If its any help especially to anyone who isnt aware of it there is a new dedicated forum set up to basically discuss everything to do do with Covid-19. There's also a list of all forums and threads where it is currently being debated around Boards.

For now it would be much appreciated if we could keep the discussion going here on how Sligo is being affected. Thanks all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Got to admit to go shopping in ballina yesterday , got some antibac spray and soap that I could not get in Sligo.

Dunnes were letting in people one at a time and making people put on hand gel as they entered and security guards were making sure you folowed the tape markings on the floor (one way system) and making sure you kept 1.5m (or was it 2m?) from person in front ... that was outside the store. Inside the store I tried to keep 2m away from people but it was impossible , they were passing me and standing right next to me so it ends up being a pointless exercise when your actually at the shelves... but then you are back to being seperated at the till area.

The bakery opposite Dunnes were wearing masks and gloves and wiping down everywhere

The chemist across the way were selling Anti Bac hand gel in 1ltr bottle for €10 but in fairness it was aloe vera and they seemed like they were the only place in the whole of Ballina (most probably the world!) where you could buy it. - The 'pound shop' (wispeys is it) had load of antibac liquid soap and loads of antibac kitchen surface clear and wipes and latex gloves , all cheap (they werent hiking up prices) no antibac hand gel to be had - again plenty of people near eachother inside the shop, nobody was making the effort to distance really too hard. - seperation at the till, and the girl who changed over shift on till put antibac gel on her hand and then wore gloves, they encouraged tap and pay.
    Amazing old people wandering around in both Dunnes and wispeys and Lidl ... looking like death warmed up! - why dont they bloody stay at home! - If I had elderly relitive right now I would doing my damndest to get them to isolate.
    Some old girl in Wispeys was just in there to ask for a ball of string!- I mean bloody hell the bloody string can wait!

You do realise that antibacterial is useless against a virus? Just use regular soap.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You do realise that antibacterial is useless against a virus? Just use regular soap.

Thanks, no i didnt, but i prefer anti-bacterial products anyway to kill cold and flu and other germs. Always have.

Thanks, no i didnt, but i prefer anti-bacterial products anyway to kill cold and flu and other germs. Always have.

Yeah, another virus.

Yeah, another virus.

Just after Christmas I Bought some Dettol Spray and it said on the front of the can 'Kills cold and flu virus' (well 99.9% of them)

snapshotimagehandler_238866758.jpeg?h=540&w=540

I cant believe someone has put it on ebay saying it kills Coronavirus ... (well I can really)

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/223936165708

Just after Christmas I Bought some Dettol Spray and it said on the front of the can 'Kills cold and flu virus' (well 99.9% of them)

snapshotimagehandler_238866758.jpeg?h=540&w=540

I cant believe someone has put it on ebay saying it kills Coronavirus ... (well I can really)

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/223936165708
    There are different kinds of coronavirus. The one we are dealing with now is just one.

There are different kinds of coronavirus. The one we are dealing with now is just one.

ah yes - just been reading about that funny enough because someone had photographed a back of Dettol bottle and Coronavirus was listed on the back

So just like the Flu vaccine / jab has to be changed every year because there is a different strain of flu every year then thats what the Coronavirus must be.
    Thats a bit hopeful in a way then, if they can change the flu jab accordinly to kill the seasons flu it mutated to then maybe in that respect they might (hopefully) come up with a jab soon for the coronavirus then?

EP3U202W4AA5jNf?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Just had a message from my friend to say that Harry Corry on the Retail Park has closed today, lets hope all the others follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Covid 19 is part of a family of viruses called coronavirus , some other family members cause just a common cold

whatswhat wrote: »
    Just had a message from my friend to say that Harry Corry on the Retail Park has closed today, lets hope all the others follow suit.

its happening in dribs and drabs in the area , some places shutting, some just adjusting times, some just trying to implement the safety mesaures of distancing and extra hygeine methods

I think personally the next thing will be a statement from Leo saying all 'non essential shops to close' - and then there will be no confusion . thats what I personally think will happen and also maybe policing of how many people are congregating in places and a fine or dispersion of people in areas or events

• Advertisement

Went to Ben's hardware Drumcliffe today for a few bits and they're closed till further notice.

Advertisement