Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Freeze - the mechanics of

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

dharma200 wrote: »
    Nice opportunity for a few air b n b home blockers to help the less fortunate.

https://twitter.com/IrishRefugeeCo/status/1240968214995181568

Home blockers ? What does that mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Does it say that ?

My understanding is that no rent reviews/increases can be given to tenants once legislation passes. I haven’t read that it is retrospectively applies to notices already given, but I could be wrong.

Mind you, the LL would have to be a complete tosser to expect the rent increase to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Dav010 wrote: »
    My understanding is that no rent reviews/increases can be given to tenants once legislation passes. I haven’t read that it is retrospectively applies to notices already given, but I could be wrong.

Mind you, the LL would have to be a complete tosser to expect the rent increase to go ahead.

what changes for tenants then ? 4% increase for notice given yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

We'll have to wait until the legislation is published completely next week. RTB cannot advise until it's published. It'll be a bit of a sickener paying an increase during a national pandemic with a recession around the corner. I was just getting comfortable from the last one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

c0rk3r wrote: »
    We'll have to wait until the legislation is published completely next week. RTB cannot advise until it's published. It'll be a bit of a sickener paying an increase during a national pandemic with a recession around the corner. I was just getting comfortable from the last one :rolleyes:

It is there to help people who are directly affected. Are you directly effect in that your salary has stopped? If not you are trying to make a profit for yourself out of the emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Soo, you'll get a break on the mortgage but won't pass it on?

I hope you never get another cent from your tenants, and lose your asset.

Such nastiness. Amazing how people bite the hands that feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Such nastiness. Amazing how people bite the hands that feeds.

:pac: Did you not see what the post was in reply to?

"Bite the hand that feeds" - Jesus christ :eek:

:pac: Did you not see what the post was in reply to?

"Bite the hand that feeds" - Jesus christ :eek:

I have been overcharged plenty of times. It is annoying but it would be pretty dark if I wished them to lose their job over it.

If this shutdown lasts months fair enough there will have to be plenty of leeway for tenants but it is pretty insane to have no back plan to get you through a month if you lose your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

It depends on how good a tenant has been - increase rent....tenant says no thanks....best of luck finding a new stable tenant for a hike of 4% ! Its a double edged sword in this market !

I have been overcharged plenty of times. It is annoying but it would be pretty dark if I wished them to lose their job over it.

If this shutdown lasts months fair enough there will have to be plenty of leeway for tenants but it is pretty insane to have no back plan to get you through a month if you lose your job.

WTH are you on about?

Bite the hand that feeds is a fairly weird comment, are you implying that a tenant is somewhat indebted to the kindness of a landlord for renting to them, for money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

GreeBo wrote: »
    Nice idea.
    I'm sure you are also contacting your employer to tell them to cut your wages back to 2014 levels also?

There'd be no need as I haven't had a raise since then! Not messing either..

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

Bit of a shower thought, if rents drop now, let's say by 50 % are landlords allowed to reduce rents for a sitting Tennant by same amount, or is it the same 4% for increases to be applied to decreases?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bit of a shower thought, if rents drop now, let's say by 50 % are landlords allowed to reduce rents for a sitting Tennant by same amount, or is it the same 4% for increases to be applied to decreases?

There's no limits on rent decreases, but any decreased will be locked in going forwards. if you dropped by 50% it'd take 25 years of 4% yearly increases to get back up.

WTH are you on about?

Bite the hand that feeds is a fairly weird comment, are you implying that a tenant is somewhat indebted to the kindness of a landlord for renting to them, for money?

Private landlords house people and that is a social good. Just like an other service. if a landlord overcharges someone it still doesnt negate that they provide a social good. No one says a rip off doctor should be struck off. No one says rip off builders should be barred from the sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Varik wrote: »
    There's no limits on rent decreases, but any decreased will be locked in going forwards. if you dropped by 50% it'd take 25 years of 4% yearly increases to get back up.

The rent cap will probably be allowed lapse next year. There wil no longer be any need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I suspect there will he an increase in landlords selling the defaulting tenants debt to a debt collection company where they will hounf and harass them wherever they are or go. Plenty of private debt collection companies prepared to lift a car or other assets to obtain closure on a debt.

As regards the hoards of self entitled demanding to live for free or use services for free - have you jot consodered a credit inion loan to cover your debts and obligations or asking your parents for financial help - or allowing the leade to lapse and moving out and back in with your family. Your service provider does not owe you anything - you oay for yhe service or you cannot afford it and move out. Stealing services and self entitled demands on strangers seems to be the theme here - it is all 18-20 years olds with no morals who have sprung from spce with no families or people who want them that are prepared to help them? They are quick enough to demand it from strangers.

Private landlords house people and that is a social good. Just like an other service. if a landlord overcharges someone it still doesnt negate that they provide a social good. No one says a rip off doctor should be struck off. No one says rip off builders should be barred from the sector.

I never said he should be barred, but I did wish bad luck on him if he gets a mortgage break but profits off it instead of passing it on to the tenants.

Nah, and as others will inform you on thread, landlords are selling a product.

You referred to it as the hand of the landlord feeding the tenant. Horsecrap.

It depends on how good a tenant has been - increase rent....tenant says no thanks....best of luck finding a new stable tenant for a hike of 4% ! Its a double edged sword in this market !

Only one way to find out, off you go.

I never said he should be barred, but I did wish bad luck on him if he gets a mortgage break but profits off it instead of passing it on to the tenants.

A mortgage break isn’t a profit, the LL still has to pay the mortgage in full.

A mortgage break isn’t a profit, the LL still has to pay the mortgage in full.

Does he have to pay it right now?

• Advertisement

Doesn’t matter, it is still not a profit. If you get a 3 month moratorium on a car loan, it doesn’t get written off, you still have to pay.

I was referring to Irish people biting the hand that feeds. Not tenants. I have no idea if you are a tenant. Irish people would be poorer if there was no private rental.

Doesn’t matter, it is still not a profit. If you get a 3 month moratorium on a car loan, it doesn’t get written off, you still have to pay.

Its a cash flow fix, well it's supposed to be anyway. if the landlord doesnt have to pay right now the tenant doesn't have to either. That's the whole idea. It's not something youll find in a contract because its a pretty exceptional circumstance.

Its a cash flow fix, well it's supposed to be anyway. if the landlord doesnt have to pay right now the tenant doesn't have to either. That's the whole idea. It's not something youll find in a contract because its a pretty exceptional circumstance.

That is still not a profit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Easy way to implement rent freeze is for the landlord not to have to pay tax on the rent when it resumes until such time as the landlord is back to parity.

Everyone's a winner, no ones a loser.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Easy way to implement rent freeze is for the landlord not to have to pay tax on the rent when it resumes until such time as the landlord is back to parity.

Everyone's a winner, no ones a loser.

And also, as interest rates at an all time low, ensure the stalled repayments do not accumulate interest over the rest of the term at a higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

If someone wants to end a tenancy do they still have to give some kind of notcie to get the despoit back from the landlord or do the new rules cover this kind of situation. So for example, if renting at the moment but want to end tenancy ASAP, move out and get deposit back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If someone wants to end a tenancy do they still have to give some kind of notcie to get the despoit back from the landlord or do the new rules cover this kind of situation. So for example, if renting at the moment but want to end tenancy ASAP, move out and get deposit back?

If you have been a reliable and good tenant and you have fallen victim to the Carona disaster it would be reasonable to hope that your landlord would be reasonable with your request. That said, they are in a debt chain and in many instances can’t just magic up ‘your’ rent to pay to the bank as well as wherever they are living and paying for themselves. Best thing to do is talk to them - if you have lost your job we all know there is the e800-1000 a month incoming from the social welfare and the expectation would be that you would claim that and at least put good the last months rent due with that. Otherwise they would be right to assume you’re just shirking your responsibilities and playing a-la -carte on your debts, which probably wouldn’t fly. I would imagine thAt with a month paid notice and all bills/debts paid and the deposit to offset damages it would be reasonable for them to be reasonable. Assuming you approached it right and hadn’t been a problem up to now. Most people like to be nice, given the choice and a reasonable proposition.

Tell that to the shop keeper when you dont want to pay for your food.

• Advertisement

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Guess i don't have to pay the increased rate of rent which commences Mid-April ? A minor win.

Speaking to reporters at Government Buildings yesterday, Donohoe said he would be speaking to Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy about enforcement measures, adding that from all of the discussions in relation to a rent freeze and rent pressure zones the government believes there are “legal constraints in place in relation to the ability of any government to intervene in the contract between landlords and tenants”.

Advertisement