Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Freeze - the mechanics of

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

I was told by PRTB that rent review is also put on hold until further notice....
    Has this been confirmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Does anyone know if the 1 year review between increases will now date from when the increase comes into effect, or will it go back to the normal month that it was meant to come into effect originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

Hi There,

I am on a 6 month fixed term lease which was due to end at the end of April. The owner of the house had made it clear it would only be the 6 months, and he planned on moving back in himself at the end of this time. Can someone explain to me what my rights are here? As he can't serve notice to me, I get an extra 3 months, and then the normal 28 days notice at the end of that period when he serves it?

Just a bit confused about the details if anyone can shed any light. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

richie_os wrote: »
    Hi There,

I am on a 6 month fixed term lease which was due to end at the end of April. The owner of the house had made it clear it would only be the 6 months, and he planned on moving back in himself at the end of this time. Can someone explain to me what my rights are here? As he can't serve notice to me, I get an extra 3 months, and then the normal 28 days notice at the end of that period when he serves it?

The owner is stuck with you till the end of the emergency period. He will then have to serve a 28 day notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hi There,

You knew you had to leave at the end of April, you effectively got an extension due to Covid, leave at the end of the extension, the guy wants to move back in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hi There,

This would appear to apply.

From the RTB

My tenant has only been living in my rental property for 5 months and I wanted to end the tenancy before it became a Part 4 tenancy. When the emergency period ends, will my tenant now have Part 4 rights?

No, in such circumstances, the passage of time during the COVID-19 emergency period pauses the tenancy and the tenancy picks up again after the emergency period is over. If the tenant was 5 months into their tenancy at the start of the emergency period, they will remain so when the emergency period formally comes to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Graham wrote: »
    This would appear to apply.

From the RTB

My tenant has only been living in my rental property for 5 months and I wanted to end the tenancy before it became a Part 4 tenancy. When the emergency period ends, will my tenant now have Part 4 rights?

No, in such circumstances, the passage of time during the COVID-19 emergency period pauses the tenancy and the tenancy picks up again after the emergency period is over. If the tenant was 5 months into their tenancy at the start of the emergency period, they will remain so when the emergency period formally comes to an end.

Im on the hunt for a nice bargain at the moment and made some more calls yesterday. One agent I talked to actually told me he would give me a 5 month lease which due to Covid-19 would actually be 5 months + whatever amount of time the covid thing takes, but that I would have to move out after that. HE would not entertain an extension beyond that. Sp estate agents are aware that they can get longer short term leases out of this.

Fair enough I suppose if you were looking for a short term lease, but it doesnt suit me and by far the vast majority of the property owners / agents ive been in contact with are only offering short term leases, and they arent putting this in their adverts first.

Anyway still looking.

Advertisement