Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part IX - 785 cases ROI (3 deaths) 108 in NI (1 death) (20 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

the worst part is they Playing outside pharmacies and tagging elderly people leaving the pharmacy
    Sorry but do you have a link for that? It just has a whiff of urban legend about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

grindle wrote: »
    I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it tbh, scumbags are scumbags and they are apparently fewer between than I'd thought.

Scumbaggery is one thing and attempted murder is another. I am in two minds and a little torn about where along that continuum I think purposely group-coughing on old people lies in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Nermal

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    You haven't considered the impact on society if we simply ignore Covid-19. We would be looking at total collapse of health systems, mass deaths (Think WW1+WW2 +++) and an extremely enraged population when everyone realises governments put economy before health.

It's not a question of putting the economy before health, or vice versa. It's a question of balance.

I've previously posted in this thread the NICE UK guidelines that value a year of health life somewhere between £20,000 to £30,000. Life doesn't have infinite value. We all implicitly acknowledge this at a national level when we don't spend 100% of our resources on health, we balance it with other priorities.

The economic damage being done at the moment is just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

There will be a time lag of about 10 days between the public coping on stage and when it is reflected in a drop in cases, as the virus will not manifest for several days and testing will take a few more.

I would expect a big spike in the next number of days, and hopefully by the end of the week it will reflect a slowing in the number of new cases. Unfortunately the government's prediction of 15000 cases will almost certainly come to pass by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's to protect others from you not the other way around

Sorry the person was saying no country was advising their citizens to wear them, clearly they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

spookwoman wrote: »
    Father went to chemist today for a few thing and they have someone at the door asking what do people want. Father is wearing mask and is trying to tell this person what he need and they just can't understand him, then pharmacist starts asking him about temp etc and he's saying no temp i just was some items. Chemists then says if you are not sick why are you wearing mask.. Because I'm not sick at the moment and don't want to get sick!

Seriously have to wonder about some people

Everyone's an expert.

Went to Tescos today as I'm in the older age group and a old guy said to me that the masks are "No good .they only protect other people from catching it from you.!"

I asked him what do you do if you want to cough and he said "Cough in your elbow"

Why, I asked. "So you don't give it to anyone else !"

So if I don't have it then "I should just cough and splutter all over the place?" I asked. The point is you don't know you haven't got it, you only think you haven't got it. You have no right to take risks with your own life
    if it risks the live of others as well.

The number of people who think that they are the only ones who have watched the news, Prime Time, Claire Burn, BBS, Sky News and browsed online is amazing.

People hear the advise and make their own judgements. I wear a mask when I am out and have done so now for days. I have stocked up on frozen food (and some beer) and intend to self isolate from now on until the worst of this passes. I think the order is coming soon for the so called cocooning and I am ready to put up with it.

It was great in Tescos this morning, shelves full, very few people and the staff doing everything to help.

I am thankful to the vast majority of young and middle aged people in this country for their consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Can respirators stop pathogens?

Is that seriously what is being debated?

I've linked to centre from disease control advice. Do you think people wear that for the craic? People are not stupid.

Why do you keep asking me about respirators?

I'm simply responding to your reference to scientific journals. Any ones on this novel virus that have already been published need to be closely evaluated because that is very quick in scientific research land. Some have been sloppy, even including patient names on CT scans included in the articles. That's why we should not just assume they are good science.

Doctors are taking precautions whilst the knowledge on this virus is still nascent. And?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭interlocked

Over a thousand people have signed this petition, not requesting, but "demanding" that the Leinster Schools Rugby competition be completed.

https://www.change.org/p/irish-rugby-football-union-have-leinster-schools-cup-finals-played

Paul Howard must be banging his head off his laptop, the art of satire is dead:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

is_that_so wrote: »
    And we can now say the situation in Ireland is fully in hand as posters squabble over the more burning issue of the origins of a nursery rhyme! :D
    And getting incensed by being referred to as "Boomer"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I was in a pharmacy on monday. Assistant handed me my medication which I had ordered an hour beforehand and went back home while they got it ready. I produced my card expecting her to offer me the swipe machine thingy but she took the card from me and walked back up the top of the shop to swipe my card herself. She was on her way back down to me with the card when another pharmacist asked me to step outside the door which I did, passing the other people in the queue as I did so but this meant that the assistant who had served me also had to pass (squeeze past, as the place is very narrow) these people to come outside to me with my card and pass them again on the way back in. Maybe it made sense to them but not to me...

My local pharmacy is similar to this, they try to resolve/avoid one issue but create another in doing so. Hopefully they work out an effective system, in fairness they are dealing with high volume of customers during a stressful and ever evolving situation, so they are trying their best, and i dont envy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,128 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Do people think trump is wrong to call it the China Virus ?
    I can't see why he is getting stick for it , that's where it came from and they actively tried to blame it on American soldiers and they actively tried to hide it form the world for a month,

I can't for the life of me see why people are annoyed at Trump for taking a stand against China ,Sars also came from China about time someone started calling them out if they continue the way the have been what's next ? something worse than this could wipe out everybody ,

What is right and wrong in this mad world?

Trump is vile. Rather than trying to be a decent human, that should be bringing people together, he is deliberately stoking division and hatred and hostility. He’s truly disgusting.

What actual help is him deliberately offending so many people?

He is even starting to emphasise his words when mentioning it. Unreal..

Dangerously odd man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Longing

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Looks like the British haven't really closed their schools.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-51643556

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

MipMap wrote: »
    Everyone's an expert.

Went to Tescos today as I'm in the older age group and a old guy said to me that the masks are "No good .they only protect other people from catching it from you.!"

I asked him what do you do if you want to cough and he said "Cough in your elbow"

Why, I asked. "So you don't give it to anyone else !"

So if I don't have it then "I should just cough and splutter all over the place?" I asked. The point is you don't know you haven't got it, you only think you haven't got it. You have no right to take risks with your own life
    if it risks the live of others as well.

The number of people who think that they are the only ones who have watched the news, Prime Time, Claire Burn, BBS, Sky News and browsed online is amazing.

People hear the advise and make their own judgements. I wear a mask when I am out and have done so now for days. I have stocked up on frozen food (and some beer) and intend to self isolate from now on until the worst of this passes. I think the order is coming soon for the so called cocooning and I am ready to put up with it.

It was great in Tescos this morning, shelves full, very few people and the staff doing everything to help.

I am thankful to the vast majority of young and middle aged people in this country for their consideration.

Even if the mask and gloves give 30% more protection its still better. He's 70's ex smoker so high risk and he's going to take every precaution he can to keep uninfected.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,882 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Everyone out and about today, every where looks busy. All the industrial retails premises are open, life goes on. Gangs of teenagers out and about, summer holidays have come early.
    We're doing a little, but hardly enough. The '' dumb'' part of society will force a lockdown, as it's the only way those dumbasses will distance themselves from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

walshb wrote: »

Trump is vile. Rather than trying to be a decent human, that should be bringing people together, he is deliberately stoking division and hatred and hostility. He’s truly disgusting.

Dangerously odd man.

They'll probably make a film about this angle in years to come.
    The China Syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Dangerously odd man.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.beam.usnews.com%2Fa9%2F62%2F983ffda7418bb8b2b46bf942ef5b%2Fcbr031620dapc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Over a thousand people have signed this petition, not requesting, but "demanding" that the Leinster Schools Rugby competition be completed.

https://www.change.org/p/irish-rugby-football-union-have-leinster-schools-cup-finals-played

Paul Howard must be banging his head off his laptop, the art of satire is dead:rolleyes:

1000 not much and probably school going age vast majority. Irfu has cancelled remainder of season so doubt it is anything but a teenagers clicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Looks like the British haven't really closed their schools.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-51643556

That sounds sensible though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Why do you keep asking me about respirators?

I'm simply responding to your reference to scientific journals. Any ones on this novel virus that have already been published need to be closely evaluated because that is very quick in scientific research land. Some have been sloppy, even including patient names on CT scans included in the articles. That's why we should not just assume they are good science.

Doctors are taking precautions whilst the knowledge on this virus is still nascent. And?

Hand washing will only get you so far. The governments stated objective is to flatten the curve.

People who are at risk should have a different objective. Don't get it.
    People should treat everyone they come into contact with as potentially having it.
    They should reduce that risk wherever possible.

It's a respiratory disease. We know that.
    It's spread by aerosol. We know that.
    Respirators can filter out aerosols.
    Do they work? HSE says "masks" don't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,128 ✭✭✭✭walshb

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.beam.usnews.com%2Fa9%2F62%2F983ffda7418bb8b2b46bf942ef5b%2Fcbr031620dapc.jpg

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Everyone out and about today, every where looks busy. All the industrial retails premises are open, life goes on. Gangs of teenagers out and about, summer holidays have come early.
    We're doing a little, but hardly enough. The '' dumb'' part of society will force a lockdown, as it's the only way those dumbasses will distance themselves from others.
    This is perhaps true in urban areas. If so, those who are working at home or lost their jobs, and schoolkids, are what you are seeing.
    I've come up the M7 all week and it's as empty as the M6 on a busy day West. IE empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This game of tag the kids are playing , where they shout covid 19 when tagged is a dangerous disgrace
    the worst part is they Playing outside pharmacies and tagging elderly people leaving the pharmacy

I heard they're pulling old people's masks down and sneezing into their mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Hrududu wrote: »
    And getting incensed by being referred to as "Boomer"

I don't think people underestimate the gravity of the situation.

You need little side chats about nonsense like boomers and nursery rhymes. There's no rule stipulating you can only talk about Covid 19 all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

A family member returned from the UK last night. He said the ferry was packed with UK cars. There were no checks when he disembarked.

I wonder how many are leaving the UK because of the current policies there. I also wonder how many are bringing the virus with them.

Entirely predictable. People can give out about ordinary people not respecting the lockdown. But our government are worse. They are not enforcing it and they are letting thousands into Ireland with no checks and not imposing mandatory isolation. The whole thing is a farce.
    I was in a shop earlier and wouldn't you know a little old lady was withdrawing cash from the atm machine inside the shop. Completely ignoring the news about cash possibly being a carrier of coronavirus. If anything catches the older generation out its their love of cash. There's no point isolating yourself for a week, and then going to the ATM to collect cash. Might as well not isolate at all. Might be time to shut down ATMS while this cv crisis is ongoing.

Anyone with OCD social distancing don't look at webcams. Tramore's one can see groups of people together

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

gabeeg wrote: »

Maybe in theory. We all know how it will pan out in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Dangerously odd man.

But you see what he's doing right, its deliberate, effective and clever.
    This is a man who has been LAUGHING about a pandemic for months, now its at his front door and he's done so little to curb it he's offering up another culprit on the spot. He realises that without someone else to blame he's in the firing line, classic politics 101.

He's shifting blame and masses and masses of people will believe him. Expect incoming sanctions and travel bans relating to China to up the ante more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

gabeeg wrote: »

The Irish 'solution' from my experience over the last few days seems to be for the older ones to be wandering the streets and parks in groups and the younger ones accompanying mammy on her trip to Tesco and the chemist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement