Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Hard to believe this league. I've had harder training sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brookville

Good run out to a few fringe players.We played with the strong wind in the first half built up a big lead.billy ryan and alan Murphy with the goals I think.Eoin cody grew into the game and took over the frees after half time when murphy went off.Dispatched a penalty Wally won.Laois to their credit never gave up and played some good ball into their full foward line in the first half and dunphy at 14 caused early bother but huw improved.brennan made two good saves and also scored a free or two.laois scored a few long range points at the start of the 2nd half but the penalty killed it off
    Wallace hovered up a good bit of ball and made a few big runs.looking forward to see him on better opposition.Aylward and billy ryan tried hard I thought...bergin got a nice point when he came on but scanlon and sheehan struggled to win the ball that was drove into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

brookville wrote: »
    Good run out to a few fringe players.We played with the strong wind in the first half built up a big lead.billy ryan and alan Murphy with the goals I think.Eoin cody grew into the game and took over the frees after half time when murphy went off.Dispatched a penalty Wally won.Laois to their credit never gave up and played some good ball into their full foward line in the first half and dunphy at 14 caused early bother but huw improved.brennan made two good saves and also scored a free or two.laois scored a few long range points at the start of the 2nd half but the penalty killed it off
    Wallace hovered up a good bit of ball and made a few big runs.looking forward to see him on better opposition.Aylward and billy ryan tried hard I thought...bergin got a nice point when he came on but scanlon and sheehan struggled to win the ball that was drove into them.

Kilkenny: E Cody (1-08, four points frees, two 65s); A Murphy (1-05, three points frees, one 65); Billy Ryan (1-01); M Keoghan, J Maher (0-02 each); D Brennan (0-01, free); R Leahy, G Aylward, J Bergin (0-01 each).
    Subs
    L Scanlon for A Murphy (ht), B Sheehan for W Walsh (48 mins), M Carey for J Maher (51), J Bergin for M.Keoghan (56), S Walsh for G Aylward (65).

Martin Keoghan 0-2 E Cody 0-2 Alan Murphy 1-1 Billy Ryan 1-1 Waltar Walsh 0-0 G Alyward 0-01. 2-7 from play at home to Laois in nearly 70 minutes from our starting forwards with not one of them scoring more than twice from play in the same time. 1 point from our forward subs Luke Scanlon 0-0 Billy Sheehan 0-0. J Bergin 0-1. The only good thing to be said is E Cody J Bergin and S Walsh were at least given a chance even if the latter two came in very late in the game.

Laois to their credit didnt drop the head they stayed at it.It must be said darren brennan made two very good saves aswell in the first half.dunphy and ross king were left with space in side and got good quality ball into space and caused us trouble.i think all our fowards scored in the first half and we were about ten points up but we were poor in the second half and the delivery of ball into small lads like scanlon and Sheehan was poor.We could take a leaf out of Eddie's book with the ball they were giving the fowards
    Eoin cody was the bright spark today and was confident taking the frees despite not taking them for his club.The next day will tell us a little bit more about these lads although the league this year is missing the intensity of previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Ciaran Wallace had another tidy performance. 19 points conceded was disappointing for the defence. Huw Lawlor hasn't been as good as last year even though he improved as the game went on. Richie Leahy hurled a lot of ball even if the end product wasn't always there, midfield is definitely his best position. James Maher went out of it after a promising start as did Mossy Keoghan. and Ger Aylward. Billy Ryan took his goal well and should be starting come championship time. Wally's place could be in doubt. Cody had a promising debut. Sheehan and Scanlon looked lightweight. Overall an average team performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mullinr2

1-19 against Laois. What would Linerick, Tipp, Galway or Cork score against us. We are going nowhere this year. Out of league come the next game

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

mullinr2 wrote: »
    1-19 against Laois. What would Linerick, Tipp, Galway or Cork score against us.
    Who knows we weren't playing them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

1-19 against Laois. What would Linerick, Tipp, Galway or Cork score against us. We are going nowhere this year. Out of league come the next game

What was the score Iimerick v Westmeath 1/24 to 0/18 to day they nearly had there full hand out teams are only going through the motions with this league. We had four that played in the all Ireland first fifteen to day all the rest are fringe players, the next match will be another step up another test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Todays game was a challenge match. No pace, no intensity, no tackling, no atmosphere. It was freezing and the intermittent sleety showers made it worse. All in all, I wished I'd stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JayIre

In fairness Limerick didn't blow away Westmeath today, and this Laois team are not the whipping boys they once were. At the end of the day it's only the league.
    Eoin Cody and Wallace look like good additions and I love Billy Ryan's eye for goal and think he needs to be starting come championship.

• Advertisement

Limerick only home from a training camp yesterday but laois have a few nice hurlers and eddie is definitely making progress.Today lacked intensity but the league has lacked intensity.i dont think many teams are that bothered and conditions aren't helping.its all about trying to pick up a few lads we can use later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

Wexford beat Laois in the earlier part of the League, 2.27 to 2.16. Not too dissimilar to our result today.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

Grats wrote: »
    Wexford beat Laois in the earlier part of the League, 2.27 to 2.16. Not too dissimilar to our result today.

Leinster is going to be a battle Royale this year. Big battles ahead v Wexford, Galway and Dublin.

Any of 2 the 4 could make the Leinster final,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MfMan

On today's display, you wouldn't worry too much about Cork.

conor05 wrote: »
    Leinster is going to be a battle Royale this year. Big battles ahead v Wexford, Galway and Dublin.

Any of 2 the 4 could make the Leinster final,

3 different pairings the last 3 years illustrates this.Dublin will go away now and get ready for us in may and will feel they owe us after the last two years.chris crummey could be out for a few months which would be a loss but they will fancy their chances of an upset.Kenny sounds like a man that has being gearing towards the championship but we have used our squad this league and hopefully lads come back fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

citykat wrote: »
    Nobody comes back better and stronger from a cruciate. Such a claim is utterly ridiculous. Most athletes should make a near full recovery but will never get back 100% to where they were. Why randomers are trying to be positive about such a horrible injury beats me. There is nothing positive in it.[/QUOT

you are purposely misinterpreting the point here..........nobody for one second is suggesting the injury is a good thing to happen. I most certainly was looking forward to see AM further develop this year with Kilkenny and his natural talent and scoring abilities will be near impossible replace. But on a wider context people are trying to acknowledge that with long term injuries there can other elements within the body and mental side of things that can be enhanced during a period of enforced rest. Also you cannot argue with the fact the lad has been hurling from such a young age non stop the last 4-5 years and the sports scientists will tell you what potential long term damage that can do..........

you say nobody comes back better and stronger.........well Henry did a pretty good job after his cruciate injury in 2010 to pick up HOTY in 2012. For me given AM age and natural talent i think there plenty of reason to be optimistic that despite the injury..........his best years are most certainly still to come

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Rosita

It's funny these days though teams are getting hammered and still able to put up huge scores. Kilkenny scored 19 times against Wexford last year and drew in Wexford. Carlow scored 19 times against Wexford last year and lost by 15 points!
    Westmeath score 0-20 against Cork last year and were annihilated. 19/20 points seems to be a default score. That's not to say that your wider point will be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Just a curious observation from the last two weekends. For the Clare match Wally was the nominated captain, lead the team out and went up for the toss, despite the fact that there was two Shamrocks players, the Mullen brothers, on the pitch. Didn't think much of it as the two Shamrocks lads are young and Wally was the most experienced starter.

But then yesterday Wally once again started but Eoin Cody was the nominated captain despite the fact that he was making his first senior start and is two years younger than Darren Mullen.

Also noted that Paddy Deegan did the warm up with Darren Brennan despite the fact that he wasn't listed on the 26 that was named Friday night. That's dedication for ya, coming into work on his day off!!😂

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Definitely a factor, but their prevalence in the GAA is multi factoral

As big an issue it is as well as a really nasty & long recovery it seems like hip injuries are hurlings biggest injury problem. As someone whose been dealing with severe hip issues & pain/lack of motion after high level athletic training and starting as a 6 year old. by 8th grade we trained 6 days(when no matches or tournaments) beginning with a 5-7+ mile run followed by 30 min of calisthenics > 2hrs training > 30 more min calisthenics. My situation was unique as every other school didn't allow an 8th grader(12/13) to practice exclusively with the high school which is traditionally only 9th thru 12th grades. At least Ireland has doc's who have seen these hip injuries so often understand them much better than our healthcare 'providers'. Adrian definitely didn't look like one of those who only focused on upper body strength, as one poster put it, had legs like tree trunks. Plus, I can't see Mick Dempsey allowing an unbalanced approach & w/the likes of informed teammates like Mick Fennelly, he's had knowledgable resources available. As to genetics, maybe someone who knows more can fill us laymen in. Wishing him & any others sidelined by injury all the best, regardless of County. Look to the Henry's and Brendan Maher's who have been there & came out strong and in form after what must be a long, grueling & mentally taxing recovery. Can't wait to see you back. Stay positive.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Nobody comes back better and stronger from a cruciate. Such a claim is utterly ridiculous. Most athletes should make a near full recovery but will never get back 100% to where they were. Why randomers are trying to be positive about such a horrible injury beats me. There is nothing positive in it.[/QUOT

you are purposely misinterpreting the point here..........nobody for one second is suggesting the injury is a good thing to happen. I most certainly was looking forward to see AM further develop this year with Kilkenny and his natural talent and scoring abilities will be near impossible replace. But on a wider context people are trying to acknowledge that with long term injuries there can other elements within the body and mental side of things that can be enhanced during a period of enforced rest. Also you cannot argue with the fact the lad has been hurling from such a young age non stop the last 4-5 years and the sports scientists will tell you what potential long term damage that can do..........

you say nobody comes back better and stronger.........well Henry did a pretty good job after his cruciate injury in 2010 to pick up HOTY in 2012. For me given AM age and natural talent i think there plenty of reason to be optimistic that despite the injury..........his best years are most certainly still to come

You've just confirmed how ludicrous your original point was.
    Try talking to somebody who's gone through this injury. Ask them how they got on with 'the body and mental side of things'. Anybody I've spoken to about it only talks about the pain, discomfort, discommotion, lost earnings, lost opportunities, loss of fitness, the battle to regain fitness. There is nothing positive or reflective about all of that.
    As for your and others contention about coming back better, it's medically impossible to come back stronger from this injury. A lot of players have performed to a high level after this injury. That is a testament to their determination and physiological makeup. If it was possible to come back stronger from a cruciate injury, by your logic every budding sportsperson should have both cruciates done as soon as they hit puberty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Noddy33 wrote: »

You've just confirmed how ludicrous your original point was.
    Try talking to somebody who's gone through this injury. Ask them how they got on with 'the body and mental side of things'. Anybody I've spoken to about it only talks about the pain, discomfort, discommotion, lost earnings, lost opportunities, loss of fitness, the battle to regain fitness. There is nothing positive or reflective about all of that.
    As for your and others contention about coming back better, it's medically impossible to come back stronger from this injury. A lot of players have performed to a high level after this injury. That is a testament to their determination and physiological makeup. If it was possible to come back stronger from a cruciate injury, by your logic every budding sportsperson should have both cruciates done as soon as they hit puberty.

No point engaging with you on this as you really are taking all points out of context and twisting their interpretation. At no stage has anyone suggesting in essence every sports person should look to do try do a cruciate injury for gain. I could give you numerous other examples of sports people who returned from such injury and returned to the pinnacle of their sport......and I know I am going completely off topic here.........watch the Conor Mcgregor documentary on see what he did outside of of the octagon during recovery from cruciate injury very early in his UFC career.

Congrats to the ballyhale lads with their club all stars.its a pity evan shefflin didnt get a run out yet hopefully he might see gametime before we exit the league.
    Local paper says there is a good chance we will have a home quarter final.If we get Waterford it will coin toss otherwise it will be at home so not too far to travel
    Tj and colin are ready to come back and joey obviously on the bench the last day.Colin picked up a small knock last week and that's why he wasnt considered.He is captain so he will probably start the next day.
    Niall brassil should be available the next day and blanchfield is a bit away his injury.Its a pity he picked up that injury he was hurling well but I'd be hopefull he will be pushing hard for a place in the summer.
    We can't give out about not trying lads this league.Its good to see Wallace take his chance hopefully he can keep improving.Aylward has being good up to now and we've got games into buckley and richie.the next match will be a step up but hopefully we can start settling on a few troublesome positions especially the midfield pairing.i thought leahy worked hard the last day but is still inclined to take the wrong option.Maher started well but faded out.i would of tried Wally out around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Congrats to the ballyhale lads with their club all stars.its a pity evan shefflin didnt get a run out yet hopefully he might see gametime before we exit the league.
    Local paper says there is a good chance we will have a home quarter final.If we get Waterford it will coin toss otherwise it will be at home so not too far to travel
    Tj and colin are ready to come back and joey obviously on the bench the last day.Colin picked up a small knock last week and that's why he wasnt considered.He is captain so he will probably start the next day.
    Niall brassil should be available the next day and blanchfield is a bit away his injury.Its a pity he picked up that injury he was hurling well but I'd be hopefull he will be pushing hard for a place in the summer.
    We can't give out about not trying lads this league.Its good to see Wallace take his chance hopefully he can keep improving.Aylward has being good up to now and we've got games into buckley and richie.the next match will be a step up but hopefully we can start settling on a few troublesome positions especially the midfield pairing.i thought leahy worked hard the last day but is still inclined to take the wrong option.Maher started well but faded out.i would of tried Wally out around there.

You have to wonder about Maher is he interested in the game he seems to go well for a while just fade then.

Maher had a very good season two years ago I think..he was nominated for an all star.he was getting a subbed in a lot of the league matches last year before picking up another serious leg injury before the leinster championship.he has yet to reach 2018 form maybe it has something to do with the leg injuries but he was good for a few scores...he got a crucial point against limerick last year.Hopefully he can nail down a place and regain his good form

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

Maher had a very good season two years ago I think..he was nominated for an all star.he was getting a subbed in a lot of the league matches last year before picking up another serious leg injury before the leinster championship.he has yet to reach 2018 form maybe it has something to do with the leg injuries but he was good for a few scores...he got a crucial point against limerick last year.Hopefully he can nail down a place and regain his good form

I rate him as a Hurler, he was flying before he broke his leg in 2018. It seems from watching him live, he seems to run out of fitness which would be surprising for a fella
    His age. Hoping he can build up more stamina through matches and training and be ready for summer

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Is it St Kierans versus St. Flannans this weekend? What are Kierans like this year? What will our minors be like this year?

Is it St Kierans versus St. Flannans this weekend? What are Kierans like this year? What will our minors be like this year?

Ciaran brennan and another key player who's name escapes me missed out on a lot of the action so far for kierans.they lost darragh maher through injury although this isnt a excuse they were beaten by a better team on the day and shows the progress dublin schools are making.
    A few people In the know said last years team exceeded expectation and was mostly a young team and I think Clifford and billy drennan both underage and the talk was there was a good crop coming which is often the case.Jimmy meagher is on board which will hopefully be a good thing.
    It will be intresting to see how our u20s do with rice and peter barry in the backroom team.

Ciaran brennan and another key player who's name escapes me missed out on a lot of the action so far for kierans.they lost darragh maher through injury although this isnt a excuse they were beaten by a better team on the day and shows the progress dublin schools are making.
    A few people In the know said last years team exceeded expectation and was mostly a young team and I think Clifford and billy drennan both underage and the talk was there was a good crop coming which is often the case.Jimmy meagher is on board which will hopefully be a good thing.
    It will be intresting to see how our u20s do with rice and peter barry in the backroom team.

Guilfoyle has been injured but is expected to play against Flannans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Village87

Panel was cut recently, Shane Walsh and Evan Shefflin are 2 of the lads dropped. Few Village lads did well to avoid the chop :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

Village87 wrote: »
    Panel was cut recently, Shane Walsh and Evan Shefflin are 2 of the lads dropped. Few Village lads did well to avoid the chop :D

How many on the panel now. Some quality hurlers gone if that's the case!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement