Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The youngest European victim in the pandemic so far..a 21 year old cancer patient in Spain has sadly passed away.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/francisco-garcia-death-coronavirus-malaga-spain-football-coach-leukaemia-a9404566.html?utm_source=reddit.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

I now know i was in touch with someone who went skiiing in Italy who has a confirmed case! Fcuking scared as i have asthma. Can barely breath and am dizzy as ****

If somebody is developing new shortness of breath or dizziness, they need to seek medical advice straight away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Will they be limiting travel to one person per journey if there's a lock down?

Will people be able to go out walking the woods, headlands, beaches etc and getting into their hobbies etc like fishing, surfing, keeping fit like long walks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

wakka12 wrote: »
    I believe testing has become more restrictive recently

Any idea why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SteadyImproving/status/1237527438176878593

dont know this isnt mentioned much.

but obesity is a leading cause.
    so improving diet & losing weight will help greatly to improve your chances.

Obesity and overall mass seems to play a massive role. Women/children obviously much less mass and aren't getting hit as much. South Korea obesity rates much lower than Italy also. Seen this mentioned in an Italian source that its the biggest factor. But doesn't seem to mainstream probably to avoid fat shaming etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Shn99 wrote: »
    Are they only testing people now with severe symptoms?

Basically.

The UK started well, with lots of testing and have now back tracked, whereas we had very little testing and are now expanding testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

statesaver wrote: »
    Any idea why ?

No point testing mild cases/asymptomatic contacts in a pandemic, most countries are now only testing hospitalised cases

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Ficheall wrote: »
    Helpful tip: Using baby lotion during your absterging makes your toilet paper go further.

Primetime Special tonight - Expert Cillian De Gaston will give a demonstration using the One-Handed position called “How to fold toilet paper instead of wadding it up to maximize surface area usage.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

circadian wrote: »
    Anyone that's been interviewed has said this, basically similar symptoms to the flu but very intense and the pain is unreal.

It's the headaches!!! Jesus.

I heard a horrendous story this morning about someone who died in Italy. No family could see him, no wake, no funeral. Just "sorry, he's dead and been cremated"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

statesaver wrote: »
    Any idea why ?

Boris isn't being subtle. His plan is to ignore the problem for as long as possible. Higher (truer) numbers makes it harder to do so. As such, they test less people and only the worst cases, and they can pretend its nowhere near as bad as it actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I hope EU countries come together and restrict travel to/from countries such as China and Vietnam where wild animals are used for food and medicine

It might force those countries to stop trade in wild animals, reduce chance of a new virus arising (existing one mutating), and help nature.

China has really ****ed the world over with this virus

Yep. And people keep pushing this fact under the carpet.

If they had adhered to the standards they were asked to adhere to, none of this would have happened.

No global pandemic. No economic crisis. No scores of people dying well before their time. No ruined holidays, events, weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ficheall wrote: »
    Helpful tip: Using baby lotion during your absterging makes your toilet paper go further.

Might sound a bit gross but if you have to use paper that won't flush you can put it in a bin beside the loo and dispose in black bin or compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I would hope the Government will put something in place that people who are laid off during this crisis won't lose their PRSI paid contributions.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭1641

Sorry if being posted already but a good letter from a community pharmacist in today's IT:

"Sir, – Last week has probably been the most challenging week in all my 15 years as a community pharmacist:

You spend five years at pharmacy school but no training, books or A1 grades can prepare you for dealing with a national crisis and the associated fear that so many are feeling due to the uncertainties surrounding it.

Yes, we are well trained and educated in all the health and safety aspects of the virus. We understand well the hygiene standards that are required. However, guaranteed supplies of critical items in high demand, such as hand sanitiser, gloves, medical wipes and face masks at this time are not assured from suppliers.

People who are unwell are being correctly told not to visit the GP surgery as part of controls. This has resulted in many potential Covid-19 patients going directly to community pharmacies for advice, reassurance and medication.

This in many cases has had the unintended consequence of pharmacies potentially becoming incubators for Covid-19 if strict procedures are not developed and implemented to mitigate the potential spread of Covid-19 within pharmacies to both patients and staff.

While vague guidance has been issued from the various governing bodies , more proactive and decisive guidance is critical.

We have the same level of staffing but a much higher work demand under acutely stressful conditions. Even if additional staff were to be made available, the correct procedures for dispensing can take time to develop.

Our day typically starts with customers straight through the door asking, “Do you have any hand sanitiser?” Unfortunately we don’t. I took 104 calls on Friday asking for it. To my surprise one person actually cursed at me and said that it was “f***ing ridiculous”. All I can say is that I am sorry about that .

We have set up a containment area in the pharmacy at the door as it is our only hope of crowd control.

During the week we had 20 to 30 patients in close proximity waiting to get served. Staff then had to devote precious time to crowd control.

We have excellent assistants and they excel at what they do. But there are so many unreasonable demands.

Patients wanting to stockpile codeine products. Codeine is subject to restriction and requires a pharmacist consultation. I witnessed anger at the thought of having to wait to speak to the pharmacist. Then upon refusing them two boxes of Solpadeine and two boxes of Nurofen Plus, the abuse started. I was kindly trying to advise them that codeine will do very little for the symptoms of Covid-19 apart from causing them painful constipation which wouldn’t be helpful in quarantine by any means.

Then there are those that come in and thank us for being there and that they really appreciate the reassurance. We meet people so thankful that we are making attempts to keep the pharmacy sanitised at all times and who feel reassured by the crowd-control measures.

These are the patients who are our sunshine on a cloudy day. – Yours, etc,

ELAINE AMOROSO, MPSI ,

Athgarvan,

Co Kildare."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/coronavirus-a-time-for-solidarity-1.4203517

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Stewball

wakka12 wrote: »

Funny to see BBC/Sky criticising other countries while the whole world is united laughing at the British response.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Us lot who took this all seriously at the beginning of the thread should really have invested in some kind of bunker facility. Possibly start up a toilet roll business too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

elperello wrote: »
    Might sound a bit gross but if you have to use paper that won't flush you can put it in a bin beside the loo and dispose in black bin or compost.

What about using cloth, washing it like they did in the old days with babies before wetwipes

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

Looks to me like business almost as usual if you don't count the fact pubs are closed. Restaurants still open and people around, even if slightly less than usually. Few people having a pint outside even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Good news, the Sun is creeping through the clouds, spring is coming

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Stand alone.
    If you won't name the pub at least name where they are. Give us an idea so that we can do what we we are going to do with the Molly Malone. Never darken its doors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I’m not a rat. Also why message them, they aren’t doing anything illegal.

If there's nothing wrong with what they're doing, why aren't you telling everyone the name of the pub?

Adults* worried about being a 'rat' when they could be helping to prevent the spread of a disease that kills old people. The priorities that some people have.

*I'm just assuming you're an adult.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

171 new cases in the UK today, 2nd day the daily total of new confirmed cases has dropped. Positive news..

They aren't testing huge amounts of people with likely symptoms. They are just telling them to stay home for 7 days but that it's ok for the people who live with them to head off about their normal lives. It's part of their new plan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

It's the headaches!!! Jesus.

I heard a horrendous story this morning about someone who died in Italy. No family could see him, no wake, no funeral. Just "sorry, he's dead and been cremated"

Hope you get good results, and are going to be ok this is the first hand I've hear of someone getting tested.

My thoughts are with you, nothing I can really say but good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

joe40 wrote: »
    So what is the best case scenario in all this 12 months from now. If it turns out to have a mortality rate of 1% presumably that would be good.
    What about an eventual infection rate of 20% I presume that to would be good . Don't know.
    Population of Ireland say 5000,000. So 1000,000 get the infection 10,000 deaths.
    Would anyone with expertise take those figures as good case scenario or still worst case scenario.
    According to cso about 30,000 people die in Ireland every year an extra 10,000 would be significant.
    Without been fatalistic is there any reasonable way to avoid this.

Considering 3,000 have died in China which has 27 times Irelands population 10k dead would result in health system collapsing in this country and complete panic among the population

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I offer my most enthusiastic contrafibularities on your use of absterging :)

I am anaspeptic, phrasmotic, even compunctuous.

Absterging causes me much pericombobulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It's not. Trust me! Nobody can get tested over there. My sister lives in Herts

you tested negative last week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If you won't name the pub at least name where they are. Give us an idea so that we can do what are don't do with the Molly Malone. Never darken its doors.

No.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Good news, the Sun is creeping through the clouds, spring is coming

Bad news is the sky is falling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Dizzy, short of breath. No sense of smell, no appetite, sweats you name it! Fcuking dreadful

Jeez, that's just awful Stevie. I hope you are okay, that you feel better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

171 new cases in the UK today, 2nd day the daily total of new confirmed cases has dropped. Positive news..

There not testing only people sick in hospital get tested

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement