Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview frequencies reshuffle (700 MHz clearence)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

detective wrote: »
    My local transmitter is affected. I’m going from 55/59 to 32/34. Currently I have a green tip group UHF aerial. I bought a red tip aerial but I decided to try and tune in Ch.32/34 with the green tip aerial and I’m getting 100% reception. How is this possible?

Grouped aerials don't completely reject out of group frequencies, the aerial gain for these out of group frequencies will be lower which will be noticeable in difficult signal areas but in strong signal areas a wire hangar could receive the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

The Cush wrote: »
    Grouped aerials don't completely reject out of group frequencies, the aerial gain for these out of group frequencies will be lower which will be noticeable in difficult signal areas but in strong signal areas a wire hangar could receive the signal.

I’m some eejit so buying a red tip aerial : ). I’m 16km away from a 10KW mast with direct line of sight. Thanks for your help Cush. Maybe when 5G goes live I’ll be glad of the red tip aerial if it fuzzes up the reception.

detective wrote: »
    Maybe when 5G goes live I’ll be glad of the red tip aerial if it fuzzes up the reception.

A Group C/D green tip aerial also overlaps the existing 800 MHz 4G band and can be prone to interference if in close proximity to a mobile basestation.

The 6 month simulcast of the old and new frequencies ends later today, mid morning most likely - https://www.saorview.ie/en/changes

Also, Divis COM7 & 8 temporary muxes will move to their final frequencies following the Clermont Carn clearance - https://www.freeview.co.uk/sites/default/files/2019-11/2020_UTV_Date_Release.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The Cush wrote: »
    The 6 month simulcast of the old and new frequencies ends later today, mid morning most likely - https://www.saorview.ie/en/changes

Also, Divis COM7 & 8 temporary muxes will move to their final frequencies following the Clermont Carn clearance - https://www.freeview.co.uk/sites/default/files/2019-11/2020_UTV_Date_Release.pdf

Have the old frequencies been switching off yet on the affected TX's?

• Advertisement

Have the old frequencies been switching off yet on the affected TX's?
    @Saorview

Update - the frequency change has taken place - if you are affected by this and can no longer see your Saorview channels, please re-scan your Saorview box or TV or call 1890-222012 or 01-2583540 for information / advice. https://www.saorview.ie/en/changes https://twitter.com/LaoisNews/status/1234891401567100928

11:20 AM - Mar 4, 2020

https://twitter.com/SAORVIEW/status/1235163159905865728?s=19

I can confirm the old Clermont Carn frequencies on 52 & 56 have been switched off.

When are the COM 7 & 8 muxes from Divis on 55 & 56 finally being switched off?

When are the COM 7 & 8 muxes from Divis on 55 & 56 finally being switched off?
    Possibly 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

My Mux 1 from Clermont Carn (C45) is substantially stronger than Mux 2 (C42).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Put in my Eircode and it says I’m using Spur Hill transmitter in Cork.

Did a rescan last night and I’m missing a few channels. RTE 1, Virgin Media 3, RTE One + 1, RTE 2 +1 and i think 1 or 2 more.

Any ideas ?

• Advertisement

Did a rescan last night and I’m missing a few channels. RTE 1, Virgin Media 3, RTE One + 1, RTE 2 +1 and i think 1 or 2 more.

Any ideas ?

Putting in your eircode gives the recommended transmitter for your location, is your aerial actually receiving from this transmitter?

Areas can be covered by a number of transmitters and some can be better than others for a given location. What frequencies / UHF channels numbers are you tuning in?

Spur Hill - UHF 39 & 45 (618 MHz & 666 MHz) - remains as is after yesterday's nationwide frequency changes.

If you are receiving from Spur Hill I would be looking at an aerial, cable or connection issue. What type of aerial are you using and where is it mounted - indoors or outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Digidol wrote: »
    Hi guys, bit of strange one...I'm having major issues trying to scan in the new frequency for Kippure on my Amiko Mini Combo. The blind scan picks up the old frequency and seemingly a frequency from a further away transmitter. When I do a TP scan with the new Kippure frequency it has 90/100 quality/signal, it scans the channels in, although the channel names appear in blue (normally white), but it doesn't store them and they don't appear anywhere else after. I'm very tech savvy and have them sorted on my Zgemma, but this is completely baffling me!

I'm in the exact same situation.

The blue names indicate that the scan has found an already tuned in station. A white name indicates a newly found\added station.

So, it appears as if the Amiko is not adding these stations to the list as it thinks we already have them.

I was thinking a factory reset might be the way to go, to hopefully clear all channel\station associations.

I actually have a spare Amiko Mini Combo, never used, that I will try tonight. If the unused Amiko picks up all the stations without issue then a factory reset might be your best bet. I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

I'm in the same boat with the Amiko Mini Combo HD SE, it won't store the channels from the new frequency only those from the old one. Be interested to hear how you get on with the reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Another Amiko mini user here with the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Digidol
    BuzzG
    SwissToni

Issue resolved(via annoying workaround).

I plugged in my spare, never configured, Amiko and it picked up all the Saorview stations without issue.

So I then plugged the old one and deleted used the Delete All Channel option to clear the station list. The terrestrial scan then added all the Saorview channels without issue. I only did TP Scans of the two frequencies I needed (CH39 and CH 45 for me).
    As all stations were deleted I also had to do a satellite scan for the UK channels.

The Delete All Channel option is found in:
    Menu > System > Default Setting > Delete All Channel

Please be sure NOT to select 'Default Value' (which is a total factory reset of all settings), make sure you pick Delete All Channel only. It'll ask for a pin, the default pin is 0000 . You can then run your scans.

It's a pain to have to re-organise favourites again but one change I made this time around was to satellite scan for free channels only (Satellite Installation > Single Scan > Scan Mode: Free), so the full station list doesn't have all of the inaccessible sky channels (marked with a $). Silver linings...

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

@Gamayun your super thanks, will give that a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Another Amiko mini user. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭egal

My Mux 1 from Clermont Carn (C45) is substantially stronger than Mux 2 (C42).
    Same here. Probably due to C/D aerial rather than B.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Strangely I'm getting the exact opposite on one of the TVs. A Sony Bravia, it won't save any services from Mux 2. But the much older Sony Bravia in the Kitchen will !

Most likely a cabling issue, it's a longer run from the attic to the living room, that and the C/D aerial now being out of group is probably exposing any weakness in the system.

When the weather settles down a bit I'll replace the South facing aerial for Clermont Carn. Should I go for a group B or maybe future proof it with a 'K'.

MACHEAD wrote: »
    Should I go for a group B or maybe future proof it with a 'K'.

No benefit to using a Group B as it overlaps the lower 5G band, Group K recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 King Wooey

Looking advice re Saorview from Clermont Carn. We are in Downpatrick and signal very weak now. Picture breaking up constantly. Would aerial need replaced? Any advice welcome. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Any ideas ?

Using the Amino Mini Combo so it might be the same issues referred to by others..

Rang Saorview and they said I’m missing all the channels on MUX 2

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

What other transmitter is using 42 and 45 in Northern Ireland?
    I got strong signal from Clermont transmitter but it will not locked.
    To my Digiair Pro meter, E42 & E45 is 70dbm but it can not be locked on the BER section of my Digiair.
    Sprectum scan show like another signal is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Souriau wrote: »

Truskmore, for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

WALKER TV Remote doesn't have manual scan option. Anyone managed to rescan successfully?

WALKER TV Remote doesn't have manual scan option ...

It wouldn't be a dedicated remote button; you'll have to go into a menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

To my Digiair Pro meter, E42 & E45 is 70dbm but it can not be locked on the BER section of my Digiair.
    Preseli in SW wales
    We have it in Arklow on 42 and 45 with no issues from Clermont, it's very strong here with a full free view HD service
    Preseli sometimes travels to Dublin and beyond in lifts

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Now the reshuffle is done and dusted, the next thing is the unbelievable switch off of DAB radio, This will likely happen as there was no tore with the public about keeping it going, a big fight was had when RTE tried to switch off Long Wave 252
    If RTE wanted to save money, they should shut down this old service, I know I'm on the wrong thread for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Update to this.
    The aerial was tuned into Truskmore transmittor.
    Before the changeover, I couldn't get a locked onto Clermont transmitter so it was set up toward Silgo, This was great for past few years until the old frequency was removed. I tried to retune into the new frequencies, 42 & 45, strong signal, 70dbm, but it will not lock.

I took of the amp, it was Fringe supreme, 25db gain. not successful. Thinking it was over amplified.

Then I turned the aerial 90° to vertial and align toward Clermont and now got a lower signal, 45dbm with no amp. and a signal lock.
    So what change apart from the frequency move to lower but I could not get Carlingford before and now it is...
    Any suggestion?
    There is a mountain between the house and Carlingford which block the signal path but now it is picking it up...

• Advertisement

Update to this.
    The aerial was tuned into Truskmore transmittor.
    Before the changeover, I couldn't get a locked onto Clermont transmitter so it was set up toward Silgo, This was great for past few years until the old frequency was removed. I tried to retune into the new frequencies, 42 & 45, strong signal, 70dbm, but it will not lock.

I took of the amp, it was Fringe supreme, 25db gain. not successful. Thinking it was over amplified.

Then I turned the aerial 90° to vertial and align toward Clermont and now got a lower signal, 45dbm with no amp. and a signal lock.
    So what change apart from the frequency move to lower but I could not get Carlingford before and now it is...
    Any suggestion?
    There is a mountain between the house and Carlingford which block the signal path but now it is picking it up...

Aren't those dBm readings negative (minus) numbers? So the reading for CC is higher, not lower.

The new frequencies must just work better in non-LOS conditions.

Advertisement