Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

is_that_so wrote: »
    Really sensing a ratcheting up of the hysteria levels on this version of the thread.

That'll be after 6pm, until around 1:30 am then it'll ramp up in the morning again.

I know there's harmless banter and a bit of slagging going here, which I enjoy at my expense I love humour and throw out a ditty now and again and get someone putting me in my place etc

That's the good side of a potentially worrying time to keep our sense of humour and take each other down a peg or two and not take it personal.

Anything I post here isn't meant to be offensive and anyone who slaggs me off I respect and admire and respect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Seriously, how can they not hang their heads in shame this man-child is their president? I know more articulate toddlers..

All of the people who make the decisions are also just people. The situation changes and so do the plans.
    Some of you expect crystal balls to be government issued

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

My husband is in bed with a dose. I’m like are you freaking kidding me? He’s in an office with someone who was contact traced on Friday.

. We were at an outpatient appt with my mum on Thursday.

No cough. Temp low 37s

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ETFAPMtWkAYFXGo?format=jpg&name=small

I thought back in January, what a weird start to the decade, what with the Iran situation and other things. And here we are.

Christmas was less than 12 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

From the Guardian.

"Hundreds of members of the scientific community have sent two open letters to the British government, voicing their concerns about the response to the coronavirus outbreak."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-live-updates-uk-us-australia-italy-europe-school-shutdown-sport-events-cancelled-latest-update-news?page=with:block-5e6cf4438f088d7575593610#block-5e6cf4438f088d7575593610

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Akrasia wrote: »
    Yes, Its a connundrum, there will still be lots of risks involved, but keeping them in a central location should allow them to control some elements that can drive community transmission. Hotel rooms would be cleaner and easier to keep clean than a private residence the food would be prepared in a kitchen to standards that reduce the risk of contamination, visitors could be restricted or monitored to make sure they are engaging in proper social distancing etc

These should be voluntary measures as I don't think people should be forced into a home like this against their will, but if someone requires nursing care and there are no longer sufficient community nursing staff available or there is too high a risk from providing that service, then I'm not sure what else they can do?

I agree wholeheartedly...in principle it is a fantastic idea and would be great,but logistically I wonder would it work.I visit housebound elderly clients as part of my work and the resistance of many to leave their house in any circumstances (because of poor mobility/not wanting to go into a “home” etc is huge.Many have issues with cognition and issues with consent/capacity would probably make this a nightmare scenario,even in the unprecedented circumstances...that said would be great if it would work.
    All staff(carers/health professionals etc.) will be expected to continue visiting the elderly in the home in future weeks, to keep them out of hospital and maintain them at home,and we will just have to adopt optimal hygiene measures (as will everyone else)....daunting times ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wibbs wrote: »
    I can't begin to imagine how bad the Americas are going to suffer. The United States in a big way. Going on social media, forums and the like Americans seem to be either "it's the end of the world!!" or "it's only the flu bro, tripping on pavements kills more people, etc".

It could well be the event that lays bare just how unequal the US is and how close to actual 3rd World standards huge swathes of their infrastructure is.

The US outside of the East Coast and the megacities is a far cry from the land of dreams so many think it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

fits wrote: »
    My husband is in bed with a dose. I’m like are you freaking kidding me? He’s in an office with someone who was contact traced on Friday.

No cough. Temp low 37s
    Ring HSE Live immediately.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/hselive/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

The Pulse in Letterkenny was all set to go ahead and were posting facebook ads earlier today for a big disco. It wasnt going down well in the comments section and suddenly its closed until further notice. Pure money grabbers. Hope their parents get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Wibbs wrote: »
    I can't begin to imagine how bad the Americas are going to suffer. The United States in a big way. Going on social media, forums and the like Americans seem to be either "it's the end of the world!!" or "it's only the flu bro, tripping on pavements kills more people, etc".

I think America will be like Europe - thay have some of the best medical facilities and medics, admiddly just for rich - but think in this crisis they will be shared -

I really worry for places like Brazil and Africa if it reallly gets hold ther .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

is_that_so wrote: »
    Same "finger of blame" could be pointed all health authorities. This thing was always going to break out regardless, just like the flu' does every year, and this phase was anticipated. So far it has not spread as quickly as in other places, who unfortunately did not respond well.
    ETFAPMtWkAYFXGo?format=jpg&name=small

Funny tho if you just avoided the news, the world is still a lovely great place to be. The meme is funny tho but honestly the whole Iran and USA stuff seems so trivial now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

voluntary wrote: »
    UK - 66.5 Million population
    IRL - 4.5 Million population

66.5/4.5 = 14.7
    14.7 * 90 = 1,330

we're going head to head with UK

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the numbers of cases in UK is the the tens of thousands if not hundreds .

The average time from contraction to death is 21 days. This is going to kick off spectacularly in the UK very very soon.

Ireland we will see if their containment measures have made any difference in the coming weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

spookwoman wrote: »
    Bring a few pairs if you have to drive to a few places for your shopping.
    Be very conscience of not touching face and take the gloves off and dispose after each shop.
    Can be done, if your hair gets in your eyes it's amazing the new contortions you can learn to use elbows and everything else except hands to get that hair away :D

I am using a disposable glove for the petrol pump, that is all so far. So many touch it all day long and straight from their cars where they could be picking their noses for hours :D I bring one wipe to the trolley and wipe handle down and throw wipe away. Then just use sanitiser when back at the car.
    Really if you think about it loads of the stuff in the shop could have virus on it if somebody was shedding hard, so picking up stuff and putting in the trolley means bringing it home with you. If you are wearing a glove then whatever gack is on the handle of trolley gets transferred to what you choose in the shop.
    Hahah :) I am going to stop there, it is terrible once one starts thinking too much of these things, like the whole world could be covered in a thin film of invisible Corona Virus. It would be a total head wreck. OCD territory on steroids.

But maybe it is true...dun dun duuun. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

banie01 wrote: »
    It could well be the event that lays bare just how unequal the US is and how close to actual 3rd World standards huge swathes of their infrastructure is.

The US outside of the East Coast and the megacities is a far cry from the land of dreams so many think it to be.

And don’t forget they have guns. And lots of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the numbers of cases in UK is the the tens of thousands if not hundreds .

The average time from contraction to death is 21 days. This is going to kick off spectacularly in the UK very very soon.

Ireland we will see if their containment measures have made any difference in the coming weeks

What containment measures? We’ve done nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

that was like us two weeks ago!

Some people STILL don’t understand the implications of this getting out of control. Gangs of kids hanging out together etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Blueshoe wrote: »
    You posted it so I'm asking what it means. Very vague.

Still no clearer

I clearly stated

Only essential emergency services operate

Nothing vague about that

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

fits wrote: »

No cough. Temp low 37s

I don't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Flannery's/13-14 on Catherine street

Wow. Unlike Flannery's upper Denmark street, they wouldn't be influenced as much by lack of students about.

Can see Smyth Icon, Charlie Chaplins and to some degree Nancy's cutting back on staff.

Many of them are probably students and are gone back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

First hand knowledge of a Hen party happening tonight. Gross stupidity. Govt. need to close all pubs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tiddles_1

spookwoman wrote: »

People like this should be prosecuted thats endangerment, could easily lead to someone dying if they catch it off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭threeball

banie01 wrote: »

People won't take it serious there until a Kardashian dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That was the contact tracing and isolation of known cases, along with advising self-isolation for those who'd returned from at-risk areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

What planet are you f*cking on. We've closed schools and creche's. GAA has cancelled all games at all levels, Rugby and soccer also.

We have more or less given advice against all foreign travel.

Contract tracking and isolation of early cases.

Anyone who has returned from travelling abroad are being advised to self quarantine. UK have done NOTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

DeanAustin wrote: »

It's maybe a downside of our way of life that because we basically believe that individuals should be able to do what they want (within reason), it becomes very difficult to tell them what to do in a situation like this.

100%.. we’ve been told by the experts how to behave, how to be cautious, how to prevent succumbing to it, so follow the directions, be responsible. We are lauded as a supposed intelligent nation of which I’m having serious doubts but this morning we’ve had sales cold callers to our door selling or collecting which wasn’t fûcking answered... looked out and saw them call to the house opposite, old Jim with his hand up to say ‘no, not happening’ without porch being opened, the end, rightly.

Didn’t see the company, a red and dark fleece in the Glasnevin area but whatever company... ughhh.. probably seeing it as an ‘opportunity’ with people at home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Seriously, how can they not hang their heads in shame this man-child is their president? I know more articulate toddlers..
    They're Exceptional!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ninthlife wrote: »
    I clearly stated

Only essential emergency services operate

Nothing vague about that

It is extremely vague.
    What's the plan . Close all businesses? I thought you were worried about your 2 friends losing their jobs. You want to shut the place down for an unknown number of weeks. Many businesses will not open again. How will people pay rent and mortgages?
    How will the government run the country since the economy has now come to a stand still?
    Will you close shops too? Where will people buy fuel and food?
    How about airports?

Complete lockdown is a hollow , not thought out pointless statement.

Push the limits, feel the burn etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement