Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Due to fly out Friday morning to New York will flight be cancelled now? Flying from dublin

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

endainoz wrote: »
    I'd say it's mainland Europe alright, just need to compensate for a work leaders stupidity, we've done it before.

Even if Ireland was exempt, it's a low blow to ban travel from the EU. Italy's neighbours haven't banned Italians from entering their country.....the lockdown is a purely domestic matter for Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

namloc1980 wrote: »
    This is incredibly serious now. It's every country for themselves.
    In geopolitical terms it always was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

A real sense of eras ending and the wheel of history turning. “The lights are going out all over Europe.” Let’s hope the rest of that famous 1914 quotation doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

fritzelly wrote: »
    He did say mainland Europe except the UK so I would take that to mean Ireland as well otherwise why specifically say except the UK :confused:

He just said "Europe", not mainland Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

Why would you even consider going flight or no flight?

It says the measures come into effect Friday midnight for 30 days.

Trying to figure out if aer lingus will now communicate with their customers and show a bit of flexibility

fr336 wrote: »
    It's interesting how this thread appears to have gone from lock the borders where are the drastic measures to oh my god trump is such an idiot what about the economy etc etc. Yep time for bed

If you don't think this is anything but a political manoeuvre given the U.K. is not included your being delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Actually he won't. The small jet remaining of the two the Air Corps once had doesn't have the range to travel to the US.

Interesting, I didn't realise it only had a range of slightly over 3000 km

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fritzelly wrote: »
    He did say mainland Europe except the UK so I would take that to mean Ireland as well otherwise why specifically say except the UK :confused:

He may not know the difference between the UK and Ireland so it's anybody's guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Strazdas wrote:
    Even if Ireland was exempt, it's a low blow to ban travel from the EU. Italy's neighbours haven't banned Italians from entering their country.....the lockdown is a purely domestic matter for Italy.

Are you being sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If Trump includes ROI, he’s obviously asking us to choose between EU or US multinationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,269 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Listen, people need to get real. If it won’t call you in the next week then it is going to be back-burnered. Welcome to what happens in real crisis.

Christ, washing your hands is not gonna stop you having the chance to catch the virus, it's only part of the preventative measures.
    Same post telling everyone over 65 you're screwed and probably gonna die

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Imagine a bat in a open mart out in a far away land has caused the system to shake to its core. It’s mind boggling. Need to remove myself from this news and watch some always sunny but how to take your eye off when living in such epochal changing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

tuxy wrote: »
    Fly to the UK! Prices may be inflated though.

I suspect you’ll have to be a english passport holder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Turtwig wrote: »
    Considering the virus has anyway gained a substantial foothold in the U.S. That is such a weird decision. Unless they will leave supply routes open. Somehow?

i dont think they are throwing in the towel tho, they dont see it as "oh well its a foothold lets just carry on business as usual" this seems like a big step up to tackle it on home turf, stem the spread as much as possible.

Right or wrong atleast he didnt sit on the fence and made calls to protect his own people regardless of who's feathers got ruffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Strazdas wrote: »

Austria closed their border with Italy. (and rightly so)

Banning the entire bloc - and banning trade - are irresponsible
    Banning countries like basically any of the 25 with very few cases while allowing the UK which today allowed Cheltenham and Liverpool game to proceed (essentially criminal acts of genocide) is without any logic

Although it's all just politics. Cat's been out of the bag for weeks.
    There is no stopping this, all we can do is manage the situation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Protesters in Shannon finally got their wish (albeit temporarily) assuming the ban includes military operations (probably not).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I can see that US <-> EU travel ban being moderated somewhat once the full impact of a total ban is realised, in much the same way as Trumps recent Chinese based technology ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The NBA has suspended the basketball season in the US. Fcuking hell

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Imagine a bat in a open mart out in a far away land has caused the system to shake to its core. It’s mind boggling. Need to remove myself from this news and watch some always sunny but how to take your eye off when living in such epochal changing times.

the bat was grand till someone decided to have ****ed up soup for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

I have to go to bed now as I’m up too late reading this as per last few weeks! It’s already annoying me that by the time I get back on here tomorrow there’ll be about 400 pages to catch up on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

They've stopped incubating those above 60...

The is grim. Very sad.
    You probably mean intubating. yeah, it is grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Politics.

I would say personal hatred and spite of the EU by Trump. He's had personal affronts from the leaders of France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands and others. They laugh at him, they ignore him and his threats and his BS. The NATO members have gone their own way when he has tried to leverage them.

Theres nothing pragmatic about any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

I think trump has finally proven his stupidity,i feel sorry for the american people with this bufoon in charge of their country.he lets the idiotic brits in but no other country?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Cupatae wrote: »
    i dont think they are throwing in the towel tho, they dont see it as "oh well its a foothold lets just carry on business as usual" this seems like a big step up to tackle it on home turf, stem the spread as much as possible.

Right or wrong atleast he didnt sit on the fence and made calls to protect his own people regardless of who's feathers got ruffled.

Fair point. It does also help convey to his citizens that this is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

NBA has just announce they are suspending games for the rest of the season.

NBA is to be suspended. Christ. You know it's serious when billionaires are willingly giving up money.

Further info: A member of the Utah Jazz tested positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

What you're missing (or will be missing) is the large number of parents that won't show up to work and will prefer to stay home with their children due to risk, childcare arrangements etc.

Many of whom work in that strained health service.

The DOH know this so won't put the schools on a blanket closure unless absolutely necessary.

And that's just front line workers, we don't need manufacturing, supply and transport of necessary items to cease because people decide to stay at home unless there is no other choice.

My husband works in the health service and will have no other option but to go to work. I'm just hoping he doesn't bring it home with him. Schools closing would help prevent any impact on my children too. Call me crazy for being concerned!

What benefit to the health service will the hundreds of thousands of children meeting up every morning bring to the equation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement