Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Trumps breathing always sounds weird tbh. Too much coke in the 80's.

It's like he cant breathe through his nose.

Anyway, I think the right thing is to suspend travel to europe (not sure why the UK is excluded though) Isnt that what people on here want Ireland to do? Also good that insurance payments will be waived. I think it should go further though and close schools

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He's doing what we have wanted Ireland to do, ban flights into Ireland from Europe,

It's deeply controversial....neighbouring states to Italy haven't banned travel coming from there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

delly wrote: »
    Okay, since I didn't actually quote any death rates of either flu or CV, I can only take it that my intimation of 'the true death rate would be much higher' is the issue, but you would allow it as 'the true death rate would be higher'? If that's the case, then you're really just talking semantics and personal interpretation, which is not a valid reason to put down the highlighting of the annual vaccine's effectiveness.

And I said the CFR will only be marginally higher - nowhere near to the CFR of coronavirus even if there was no flu vaccine, so there's some semantics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-set-to-move-to-delay-phase-schools-could-close-and-major-events-cancelled-11955695
    UK officially moved from containment to delay phase. Major announcement by PM set to escalate UK's response in a matter of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can Norway and Switzerland fly to the US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Regardless of the virus outcome now, the economic impact of this will be felt for the rest of this decade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Trump and any of the imbeciles defending him can all go **** themselves.

It's worse in the US than most of the EU and he's engaging in his usual nonsense.

His doing us a favor then by banning all travel in and out of the us to europe... gg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Sparko wrote: »
    I'm in the States now, due to return to Ireland on 22nd. I wonder will the EU retaliate.

Airlines will not fly a plane to europe and not have passengers flying back it makes no economic sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

I think Mike Pence has convinced him it's contagious so he doesn't want to catch it from Leo. Unfortunately he still still think the virus is nothing to worry about.... It's Leo's gayness he is afraid of

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

How is that the HSE’s fault? I’m sure they quizzed him thoroughly but there could be gaps in his own knowledge that the HSE can’t fill in. Like, he may have had contact with somebody who was in an affected region and not realised it. The HSE are trying to trace where people picked it up but that depends a lot on the infected person giving them enough information which they might not have.

The poster you quoted said they were confident contact tracing worked and the HSE did a good job at that.

I'm not going to bang on about it. The HSE have made mistakes, their advice has large gaps in it. They can still rescue the situation. They need more resources, particularly on the frontline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Prepare for market meltdown tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭scotchy

Somebody wake me up. This cant be real.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

infairness how can you " contain" anything with plane loads of people going all over the place, its either stop the travel, or stop pretending to be in this "containment phase"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Trump was in that meeting where there was a confirmed case was he not?
    Maybe he does have it and sh1t just got real for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Tippex wrote: »
    Airlines will not fly a plane to europe and not have passengers flying back it makes no economic sense
    Fly to the UK! Prices may be inflated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Even cargo flights from Europe banned (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Denmark, fyi...

All students are to be sent home friday, and stay at there for the following two weeks

Schools, universities etc. will be closed for two weeks starting monday

Meetings of more than 100 people are discouraged

All public servants are sent home for two weeks (with pay)

Bars, restaurants, cafés etc. are encouraged to stay closed for the period

All cultural institutions will be closed for the two-week duration

Private businesses must send those who can work from home, home

People are, in general, encouraged to stay home

Vital institutions will NOT shut down. Do not hamster supplies and do not panic.

Religious societies are encouraged to cancel gatherings

Not doubting you buy can you send me a link to this please as anything I've searched is just saying schools, universities closed & public services workers told to work from home.

How many airlines is this ban going to put on the ropes?

Stock futures plummeting as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Hopefully this will also have a knock on effect on the already strained health services. But maybe I'm missing something?

What you're missing (or will be missing) is the large number of parents that won't show up to work and will prefer to stay home with their children due to risk, childcare arrangements etc.

Many of whom work in that strained health service.

The DOH know this so won't put the schools on a blanket closure unless absolutely necessary.

And that's just front line workers, we don't need manufacturing, supply and transport of necessary items to cease because people decide to stay at home unless there is no other choice.

• Advertisement

How many airlines is this ban going to put on the ropes?

i think the no1 priority is stopping the virus, not economic impact going by that speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Is it just mainland Europe excluded ? A lot of medical supplies go from Ireland to US. I know he said Uk but geography wouldn’t be his strong point

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Aerlingus will suffer big on back of this ban. Surely Ireland needs to ban all flights from USA too.
    Makes sense.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Even cargo flights from Europe banned (!)

That's a political move dressed up as a public health measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 c2e

how will Leo get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Why was much more precautions taken for foot and mouth?

Because there was a lot of money at steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

LOL Trump looking to use corona as an excuse to stick the knife in Europe economically, what a piece of shite. Can you drive to Belfast and fly to New York?

This will be some shock to people when they wake up tomorrow.

Wonder what Irish trumptards think now.

Your great inspiration just fcuked us over for the UK.

The man is certifiably insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

No goods from Europe to the states for 30 days?

This will be Armageddon.

Hopefully there will be clarification in the morning to say it’s not that draconian!

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

c2e wrote: »
    how will Leo get home?

Who gives a f*ck about that ejit!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement