Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

gabeeg wrote: »
    Bahrain 79 new cases, bringing their total to 189.

What's the weather like in Bahrain?

I doubt its 6-10 degrees, with showers of rain, hail, sleet and snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Unless this person goes public himself he will not be identified officially at least. Obviously the usual rumours will circulate but that`s just the way it is.

Someone else would have spread it if it wasn't that person so I wouldn't be too worried if I were them. The measures that in place meant it was a matter of when, not of who.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

24 degrees and 54% humidity

Thanks man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Company I work for has decided to let day shift employees finish up early, with evening & night shift doing the same. The idea being that no shift comes in contact with the next avoiding contact with other employees.
    The company benefits, as if one shift is put out of action, production stays going in theory.

The utter stupidity of this was to funnel 200-300 day shift employees into a small crowded canteen, while they wait for the previous shift to leave the building.

The company is up in a heap, no one knows what is happening as all communication is word of mouth practically. Would be better off shut at this stage..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Poland closing all schools, universities, museums, cinemas and sporting events to be behind closed doors.

Fewer cases than us and no deaths like us.

Meanwhile we have National League GAA proceeding as normal, as well as none of the measures listed above.

Be interesting to compare us to a more proactive country like Poland in coming weeks and months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Northern Ireland's biggest cinema chain, Omniplex, is introducing a "seat separation" policy in response to coronavirus.

No more shifting
    They operate in ROI as well.
    I thought it was a good idea personally

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Poland don’t mess about, 25 cases and they close all schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

If you had halted the flights from Italy three weeks ago, you could have Cheltenham go ahead with no concern about infections. It's a knock on effect. It's the fact that there was no screening, checks, or halting of flights from Italy that caused us to get the infection, and because of that other things that would have been risk free are now dangerous.

So if we had halted Italian we would have had no cases really. Can you really say that as that is what your implying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's too late for banning flights to be of use once you have community transmission within your country. It might have worked two or three weeks ago with people going into quarantine from inbound flights than stopping them. Singapore showed the way but this country isn't run by smart people.

I hear what you're saying. It's a bit too late for banning inward flights. Banning now would help by not adding more cases. Unless if everyone coming in off flights goes straight into quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lawstudent2020

I'm an Irish student studying in Germany for the year and my university has provided me with no information about Covid 19. There are currently over 1600 cases in Germany. The second semester is due to start in a few weeks and it's all a bit disconcerting. Guidance from my home university is currently to just wash my hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

gabeeg wrote: »
    Thanks man :)

111 cases per million people and they only have a pop of 1.4m so that’s a lot for such a small country. Slightly worrying alright

UsBus wrote: »
    Company I work for has decided to let day shift employees finish up early, with evening & night shift doing the same. The idea being that no shift comes in contact with the next avoiding contact with other employees.
    The company benefits, as if one shift is put out of action, production stays going in theory.

The utter stupidity of this was to funnel 200-300 day shift employees into a small crowded canteen, while they wait for the previous shift to leave the building.

The company is up in a heap, no one knows what is happening as all communication is word of mouth practically. Would be better off shut at this stage..

Stand up on a chair in the canteen and give them the full Jim Larkin. Hands and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

DrumSteve wrote: »
    TBF, I think they'll have to; don't think the Chinese haven't already reverse engineered it anyway.

I think that drug will sort a lot of this out tbh; they will make much more money from a treatment than a vaccine anyway.

Of note, remdesivir is administered as an IV infusion, so it has to be given by a healthcare professional in a healthcare setting. While it holds great promise in the long run, you will still need to access the health service to get it, so if that healthcare service is overwhelmed then you’re still gonna be screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wibbs wrote: »
    They should. My local pharmacist is already. Bumped into her yesterday and she mentioned they were getting masks and hand sanitiser, but only one each per customer and existing customers have preference over randomers. She told me the last fortnight has been a bit daft, with the occasional individual being insane and asking to buy whole boxes of gloves, hand wash and masks and a couple had screaming fits when they were told no. She told them to head off and had to threaten ringing the Guards on them. Apparently the latest thing they've been hit by is people trying to stock up on paracetamol.

Shakes head. Poor pharmacists are in the direct line of fire. This is when it is good to be loyal to local shops. I rely on prescription analgesia and always from the same pharmacy

It was in many ways an easier life before social media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I'd also suggest that now is finally the time to throw caution to the winds and take your sexy Neighbour or work Colleague into your arms in a passionate embrace followed by 3 or 4 minutes of amazing love-making......

OK. Try that with a work colleague preferably in full view of everyone else in the workplace and let us know how you get on.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

flynnlives wrote: »
    im old enough to remember plenty of recessions. We survived those. We can survive this.

The US is absolutley ****ed. In a weeks time they wil easily be in Italy's postion.
    A recession is coming regarldess.

What i dont want is us following the brits. They've accepted mass deaths.

I think we already have - along with the rest of Europe (genuinely hope im wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

iv heard washing hands will do basically nothing , As there virus is caught pover 90 % of the time through breathing

I'd stop listening to those people tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

What's this?

They had a church that is a little odd. The church had a big thing in a city.

Members from the church got it at their big thing in the city. Then went back to their own towns and parishes and spread it their.

Church leadership was asked for a list of all members but because the church is a little odd they suffer low level discrimination.

The church leadership didn't want to give a list of their members so the state's contact tracing missed getting the people at the big ceremony and members of the church in their own parishes.

The church leadership was investigated for reckless endangerment and causing the spread of the virus. They ten handed over a list of their members and a list of people who attended their big ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭touts

With one sentence Sean O'Rourke just cut the legs out from the horse racing industry claiming Cheltenham is safe.

"The Hand Sanitizers are being topped up, and the banks were well capitalised"

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Everywhere is affected though, including Ireland. So that would mean no flights at all. How long do you stay closed for? What happens if we all close down for a few months, things seem better, but then it all just kicks off again when we reopen.

Ireland wasn't infected a few weeks ago. We had the chance to aviod this but we didn't take it. Why? Stopping flights from affected areas wouldn't of stopped it getting here 100% but it would of greatly reduced our cases. Why didn't we do that? I don't understand.

Stopping flights now would still have a positive affect and I don't know why we still aren't doing it.

Saying this might not work anyway is no excuse for not trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Graces7 wrote: »
    So my GP AND consultants are wrong? WOW
    Just WOW!

Even on the anti vaxx thread they want everyone who can to be vaccinated to protect folk with immune deficiency who cannot be vaccinated.

See how dangerous medical "advice" on this thread can be!

And please mind your language! REALLY!

You said
    No necessarily, as folk with autoimmune problems cannot take vaccines,

You may have been told not to get vaccinated but that does not mean everyone else with autoimmune issues cannot.

Doctors and medical people advise everyone to get vaccinated for the Flu and like every medication SOME people will not be able to. Please do not make sweeping statements about people with autoimmune issues.

From CDC Site
    People who SHOULD NOT get the flu shot:

Children younger than 6 months of age are too young to get a flu shot.
    People with severe, life-threatening allergies to flu vaccine or any ingredient in the vaccine. This might include gelatin, antibiotics, or other ingredients. See Special Considerations Regarding Egg Allergy for more information about egg allergies and flu vaccine.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/whoshouldvax.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,267 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

UsBus wrote: »

Work in a similar environment, and company frantically making plans to try to mitigate any potential effect on shift teams and day staff.

Some early ideas are functional team members not sitting in a group any more, but being spread out. Also not allowed to meet up in the canteen.

Shifts also not meeting at handover time.

Allowing people to work from home if possible, or alternate days, with staff missing each other this way.

Only small meetings, no more packed rooms. Talk that all meetings are about to be scrapped for a month. Webex meetings preferred.

Temperature monitoring on entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's too late for banning flights to be of use once you have community transmission within your country. It might have worked two or three weeks ago with people going into quarantine from inbound flights than stopping them. Singapore showed the way but this country isn't run by smart people.

Agree it is too late to use it as a measure to prevent a national epidemic.

But I still don’t think travel restrictions (not necessarily banning flights) should be discarded altogether for that reason: once we eventually get our act together and realise we have to enact strong containment measures within the country, and once these measures hopefully bring the number of cases to a manageable level, we can’t afford to be importing cases from other countries which aren’t doing what it takes at the risk of ruining our own effort.

I saw today that anyone arriving to Beijing from abroad will now be quarantined for 14 days and I can see there point there: many Chinese have made massive efforts and have been sacrificing their economy and their daily lives for 2 months to bring this thing under control - it doesn’t make sense to directly allow entry for people from areas where this is not done.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

There would need to be some serious storm to have the strength to blow me and the tent away 🀣 I’d nearly go as far to say it’s impossible 🀣
    Stay safe Graces7 , you seem to have it all under control and are used to isolation so you will be fine ðŸ™ðŸ» X
    I wish! Afraid a tent would take off.... Like I nearly do many days

But yes: I feel like an observer in all this. I live in permanent isolation as I am immunesuppressed and am under strict orders to see NO ONE. There is no way the bug can catch me

A thought though; if any there have holiday homes in rural places and you can, move there for a while?

Stay as safe as you can out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Nothing is free. Someone has to pay for it.
    Naggdefy wrote: »
    You can travel from pharmacy to pharmacy though. In my provincial town there are 6 in walking distance. Some people do that.

Supermarkets sell it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭marilynrr

laurah591 wrote: »
    80% will have mild symptoms - but 1 in 5 will be serious!

My understanding of it was that 80% will be mild and just need to self isolate.

Out of the remaining 20% some might require just some monitoring or medical treatment in hospital, but that they won't necessarily be at serious risk.

Obviously then there are others where it will be serious, but nothing close to 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

So my GP AND consultants are wrong? WOW
    Just WOW!

Even on the anti vaxx thread they want everyone who can to be vaccinated to protect folk with immune deficiency who cannot be vaccinated.

See how dangerous medical "advice" on this thread can be!

And please mind your language! REALLY!

I'm immunocompromised (I'm on methotrexate for psoriatic arthritis) and anyone with my condition is encouraged by medical professionals to get the flu vaccine every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭dodzy

9 confirmed cases on the island of Eire on Sunday morning. Fast forward a mere 3 days later to yesterday.....and we have 50.

We're in real trouble here.

Leo still jetting off to the US this afternoon ?

laurah591 wrote: »
    I think we already have - along with the rest of Europe (genuinely hope im wrong)

I think so too. "Flattening the curve" just slows the rate of infection, it doesn't stop people from getting it.

Though hopefully it'll be met by treatments and maybe even vaccines before it gets through the entire population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Boggles wrote: »
    19 questions and not one question mark.

:)

Hmmm. Maybe they think rhetorical questions do not need ??? lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement