Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Enniscorthy

1214215217219220248

Comments



  • Just curious - does anybody at all run even a student bus service between Enniscorthy and Waterford? i.e. just buses to Waterford on Sunday evenings, and back to Enniscorthy on Fridays?




  • Not sure where it goes, but there's a student bus on the Island Rd every Sunday evening around 5-5.30.




  • Just curious - does anybody at all run even a student bus service between Enniscorthy and Waterford? i.e. just buses to Waterford on Sunday evenings, and back to Enniscorthy on Fridays?

    Not that I know of. My daughter goes to UCC and looked into it. Best we could find was to catch a bus from Ballinaboola to Waterford and onwards from there.




  • Anybody know why the Council are busy putting up bunting for St.Patrick's Day - has nobody told them that the parade is cancelled?




  • mrkr wrote: »
    Regarding Enniscorthy to Waterford buses, the Route 5 bus that Bus Eireann ran was cancelled five years ago, I know because I emailed them at the time to complain as I used it frequently.

    At that time, the plan was for Wexford Bus to provide a direct service from Enniscorthy to Waterford several times a day. They initially fulfilled that role. However, it was almost as swiftly cancelled because of the impossible-to-predict :rolleyes: delays that occurred to the service in the evening going through New Ross. So we went from a public company providing a public good, to a private company doing so, and then they quickly dropped it when they realised it wasn't possible to run the service on time because of tailbacks going into Ross, and then the service was dropped entirely and with no comment that I saw from any local reps etc.

    Since then, the only option for anyone who wishes to use public transport to get to the major city in the Southeast from Enniscorthy has been to schlep it down to Wexford and then linger around O'Hanrahan station until a bus to Waterford turns up.

    Local Link Wexford run 10 daily services Enniscorthy - New Ross so there is no need to go via Wexford town.

    https://locallinkwexford.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Local-Link-Wexford-Route-368-Tullow-Enniscorthy-New-Ross.pdf


  • Advertisement


  • Great to see the locals being socially responsible during this covid 19 crisis by packing the pubs all week and especially last night. There's going to be many among them with sob stories in the weeks and probably months ahead thanks to their stupidity.




  • Great to see the locals being socially responsible during this covid 19 crisis by packing the pubs all week and especially last night. There's going to be many among them with sob stories in the weeks and probably months ahead thanks to their stupidity.

    Define social responsibility? I went for a pint and it wasn't packed, everyone was keeping a good distance from each other and everyone was using the gels and sanitisers provided. To quote the chief medical officer of the country, "they do not want people to stay at home and hide" but attempt to interact in a way that doesn't help the virus spread. Peoples mental health must also be catered for and social exclusion will do nothing for this.




  • The coffee shop at Slaney Place is closed for the duration. Going to be tough for any of them paying rent.




  • arseagon wrote: »
    Define social responsibility?

    Don't go anywhere unless essential would be my interpretation.

    In Spain, I believe it's been defined as work, doctors, medication and groceries.


  • Advertisement


  • Great to see the locals being socially responsible during this covid 19 crisis by packing the pubs all week and especially last night. There's going to be many among them with sob stories in the weeks and probably months ahead thanks to their stupidity.

    Last night?? You must have been in a different town to me, you could see the tumbleweed rolling past Treacys door at 12 o clock.




  • CoBo55 wrote: »
    Last night?? You must have been in a different town to me, you could see the tumbleweed rolling past Treacys door at 12 o clock.

    Treacys had already put restrictions in place. Other pubs hadn't.




  • kneemos wrote: »
    The coffee shop at Slaney Place is closed for the duration. Going to be tough for any of them paying rent.

    That's a pity I'll miss my blt and having the crack with Eamon Sheridan and the boys. It's a grand spot in fairness.




  • Treacys had already put restrictions in place. Other pubs hadn't.

    It was like a ghost town I don't know where you saw the packed pubs you must have been on the poitin.




  • CoBo55 wrote: »
    It was like a ghost town I don't know where you saw the packed pubs you must have been on the poitin.

    It's turning into an option now.

    Enniscorthy looks like a ghost town most weekends anyway as anyone out is in the pub so unless you go in you'd think the town was empty.
    You'd see crowds in Templeshannon at about 2am or so when it's clearing out time for Benedict's.




  • Our friends in the dogtrack remain open for business tonight....




  • The town centre was in major lock down mode today with precious little open apart from Dealz, the Bus Stop Shop and Sandro's. On a positive note, a smart new front is going into Sherry Fitzgerald's premises on Slaney Street.


    Sherry%2BFitz.jpg




  • In these straitened times, I think it's worth a shout out to a very good local business..

    The Bus Stop Shop

    I was in there last weekend and was pleasantly surprised...

    Lovely fresh brown bread and soda bread - good selection of apple tarts etc and most importantly....

    REALLY FRIENDLY & HELPFUL STAFF!


    I have absolutely no connection to the shop - in fact, I don't know a single person who works there.




  • I made one of my rare sorties out to Bellefield yesterday and was stunned to see that the council have varnished the public seating opposite Pettitt's - now can they be made to understand that this is an annual job and not once every decade!

    Sadly, not far up the road is the park (?) sandwiched between the various Bellefield Roads - what an eyesore. It would be right up there with Blackrock Park (in Dublin) as one of the most unlovely parks in the country. Nothing apart from acres of badly maintained grass and a few scrubby trees on their last legs. I imagine if one was to venture inside it would be no more than a glorified dog toilet - yuck! I can't imagine living in one of the houses that surround the park and pulling open the curtains in the morning to look out on it. Nobody expects the Hanging Gardens of Babylon or Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically..but this!!


    ENNISCORTHY%2BPARK.jpg




  • Probably still talking to myself but I will keep posting regardless.


    The closure of shops due to CV-19 continues - with a twist - apparently thanks to efforts of some of our ethnic minority. The Bus Stop Shop has now closed for 'the next few days'. I noted an empty Dublin bound bus there this morning and there was nobody waiting for it. Any trains that I have seen over the last couple of days have also been virtually empty.


    Old%2BXtravision.jpg

    Above: The old Xtravision premises has had a window smashed and it can't be long before the place is further attacked. The idea that our invisible garda force are going to be able to lock down the town, if called upon to do so, is laughable. :(


  • Advertisement


  • Del.Monte wrote: »
    Probably still talking to myself but I will keep posting regardless.


    The closure of shops due to CV-19 continues - with a twist - apparently thanks to efforts of some of our ethnic minority. The Bus Stop Shop has now closed for 'the next few days'. I noted an empty Dublin bound bus there this morning and there was nobody waiting for it. Any trains that I have seen over the last couple of days have also been virtually empty.


    Old%2BXtravision.jpg

    Above: The old Xtravision premises has had a window smashed and it can't be long before the place is further attacked. The idea that our invisible garda force are going to be able to lock down the town, if called upon to do so, is laughable. :(

    Question for you Del Monte, why do you live in Enniscorthy? All you ever seen to post about is how awful the place is, how run down it is, how poor the local amenities are and how terrible a few locals are.

    If things are that bad why live in Enniscorthy?




  • TitianGerm wrote: »
    Question for you Del Monte, why do you live in Enniscorthy? All you ever seen to post about is how awful the place is, how run down it is, how poor the local amenities are and how terrible a few locals are.

    If things are that bad why live in Enniscorthy?

    He/she is right about the neglect in the town. As to why someone is living here, that's no one's business but their own.




  • TitianGerm wrote: »
    Question for you Del Monte, why do you live in Enniscorthy? All you ever seen to post about is how awful the place is, how run down it is, how poor the local amenities are and how terrible a few locals are.

    If things are that bad why live in Enniscorthy?

    Do you have any more positive light to shed? I can understand how somebody who may have lived a long time in one place can become disheartened when the place becomes run down. It's hard for people of a certain age, who grew up in a gentler time when people respected the law and each other, to see that place run down by the actions or inactionns of the powers that be.
    I'm not a native of Enniscorthy but I visit it regularly and it's obvious to me how it has deteriorated over the last 10-15 years and seemingly there is little effort by Local Government to address this.




  • paulaa wrote: »
    He/she is right about the neglect in the town. As to why someone is living here, that's no one's business but their own.

    I didn't ask why they live here I asked why continue to live here if everything is so bad.

    If I remember correctly I think Del Monte moved to Enniscorthy a few years ago (apologies if that's wrong I may be mixing you up with another poster?) so they may not have any ties to the area. If I didn't and I wasn't happy with the area I was living I'd move.

    I agree that the town could do with a good bit of work and there will always be the few who cause trouble in any town, but at the end of the day it's what the town is. The people of Enniscorthy keep voting in the same people into office here so little will be done to improve the area until there are changes at council level.

    It's different visiting an area or actually living in it. The longer your somewhere the more apparent the issues are.

    In response to the other poster look at all the different shops and clubs offering to deliver groceries or help out people during the Covid-19 crisis. There is a decent community spirt here, especially in the more mature estates etc.

    There are also some very good sporting facilities and the town council have built playgrounds for kids (vandalised by the few) and invested in the Prom walk. But at the end of the day there's only so many staff in the council to maintain these areas and obviously some will go long periods between painting/maintenance. But I bet most towns experience the exact same issues.




  • TitianGerm wrote: »
    Question for you Del Monte, why do you live in Enniscorthy? All you ever seen to post about is how awful the place is, how run down it is, how poor the local amenities are and how terrible a few locals are.

    If things are that bad why live in Enniscorthy?


    If you bothered to check my posting history, I report everything that I notice good and bad or anything that concerns me - warts and all. That there is more negative than positive to report is hardly my fault.


    As for your final point - I have been living in the Enniscorthy area since 2001 and my family have lived in the area for 370+ years - is that alright with you?


    Near%2BBlackstoops.jpg

    Above: Something positive but which could go either way if the heavy hand of the council get it wrong - the unspoilt woodlands out towards Blackstoops.




  • TitianGerm wrote: »
    I didn't ask why they live here I asked why continue to live here if everything is so bad.

    If I remember correctly I think Del Monte moved to Enniscorthy a few years ago (apologies if that's wrong I may be mixing you up with another poster?) so they may not have any ties to the area. If I didn't and I wasn't happy with the area I was living I'd move.

    I agree that the town could do with a good bit of work and there will always be the few who cause trouble in any town, but at the end of the day it's what the town is. The people of Enniscorthy keep voting in the same people into office here so little will be done to improve the area until there are changes at council level.

    It's different visiting an area or actually living in it. The longer your somewhere the more apparent the issues are.

    In response to the other poster look at all the different shops and clubs offering to deliver groceries or help out people during the Covid-19 crisis. There is a decent community spirit here, especially in the more mature estates etc.

    There are also some very good sporting facilities and the town council have built playgrounds for kids (vandalised by the few) and invested in the Prom walk. But at the end of the day there's only so many staff in the council to maintain these areas and obviously some will go long periods between painting/maintenance. But I bet most towns experience the exact same issues.

    First of all as I said, what that person does and why is personal and is none of our business. Anyone living in the town is entitled to voice their opinion. I sense an attitude typical of small town mentality in your post.

    I was born and reared here and the town has gone to pot in the last few years in particular. The mindless vandalism, the lack of respect for people and their property, the scum openly dealing drugs and the begrudging attitude that pervades the town is sickening for anyone who cares about the place.

    There was always a good community spirit in town but now there is a serious underbelly of criminal activity as well. You may be content to ignore this with your "it's what the town is". Most people are saddened by it and want something done about it.

    Depending on the council for everything is ridiculous. Back as far as the 50's ordinary people looked after their own areas and estates. They took pride in them. Now people couldn't care less. I'm not interested in "most towns" . I'm interested in my home town.




  • If you want anything done about the town then you should be beating down the doors of the offices of Paul Kehoe, James Browne and Johnny Mythen. If they don't respond or listen to you, try organise a public meeting on it, see how quick they respond.




  • Nice and crisp at 7am this morning with frost on the swimming pool roof. I love the sight of steam rising off the river.


    STEAMY%2BMORNING.jpg

    Computer%2BShop%2BChris%2BKavanagh.jpg

    Elsewhere the two long empty shops on Parnell Road are getting a makeover - did they sell I wonder and if so what's going in?




  • 60 Asylum Seekers coming to the old Nursing Home up the Shannon* (*Edit to me it's not quite up the Shannon but I'm only a blow in & my Nan lived there.....) & Jackser Owens (Ind./NP) & Cllr. Cathal Byrne (FG) both ran with it & once the blue touch paper was lit it inevitably only went one way in the main.......

    How long's Nursing Home closed; 3-5 years is it?

    Is it the Shannon now or more Spring Valley?


  • Advertisement


  • Nokia6230i wrote: »
    60 Asylum Seekers coming to the old Nursing Home up the Shannon* (*Edit to me it's not quite up the Shannon but I'm only a blow in & my Nan lived there.....) & Jackser Owens (Ind./NP) & Cllr. Cathal Byrne (FG) both ran with it & once the blue touch paper was lit it inevitably only went one way in the main.......

    How long's Nursing Home closed; 3-5 years is it?

    Is it the Shannon now or more Spring Valley?

    Spring valley. I'd say it's in dreadful condition.


Advertisement