Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,268 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Babooshka wrote: »
    It's not in the commercial interest of any government to save the lives of the vulnerable. They won't tell you that though.

You a conspiracy nut too?:rolleyes:

Yeah, thats why the Gov spends millions upon millions treating older people every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ordinary soap is fine.
    Don't get obsessed about hand sanitizers.

Even a cloth with milton/dettol etc would help. One could keep it in a lunchbox in their car and wipe hands accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭enricoh

touts wrote: »
    Agree.

And I was shocked at the disgraceful scenes from Cheltenham on the news last night. Tens of thousands of half pissed gamblers crammed in together, celebrating a few horses running around a field. Gamblers is probably the key word there. They are gambling with the health of the nation all for a bit of craic.

If many cases are traced back to people going to Cheltenham then it will be the end of the Horse Racing industry. It will be hard to justify pumping
    tens of millions of taxpayers money into their hobby after they give the two fingers to the public. When cuts inevitably come to government budgets to compensate for the Coronavirus recession then there will be a public demand for the horse industry to be first on the chopping block.

Was watching the Tottenham match last night in Leipzig- disgraceful scenes, supporters drinking , crammed in together etc etc or is it just the nags you have a problem with!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Pro-active!

Ukraine's capital Kiev will close schools and universities from tomorrow until the end of March to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, city mayor Vitali Klitschko said.

He said the city would also restrict mass events in the capital, including concerts and conferences. Cinemas and entertainment areas in shopping malls will also close.

Ukraine has so far reported one coronavirus case

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Case of community aquired virus confirmed at Waterford Hospital (RTE News).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

joe40 wrote: »
    The timing has to be right otherwise large numbers of people simply won't comply. Countries like Ireland police by compliance, not force.

Voluntary lockdown is really not an option unfortunately.

As for people not complying, we've seen hundreds if not thousands of people head off to Italy in the midst of coronavirus red zone, not giving a sh*t.

Do you think they are going to comply with a lockdown in any circumstances? no matter how you sugar coat it? Of course they won't.

Why should we have a small minority of fools who can't sit still for too long dictate policy for the vast majority? This is not the way to approach a lockdown.

The more you delay the more problems it creates. Heed the lessons of China and Italy. We're fast heading the way of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Just a thought...and not coming from a place of hand-wringing hysteria.

But has there been much debate, discussion or consideration given to closing our Ports and Airports now while we have only 50 cases on our small Island which is so very effectively isolated from the rest of the World?

Looking at the journey Italy has been through which ultimately ended in locking down the entire Country of 60,000,000 people wouldn't it be better to act decisively now and avoid tens of thousands needless fatalities....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Let’s look at the Chinese numbers.
    90k cases out of a population of 1.4bn. That’s an infection rate of .006%

Apply this rate to Ireland and you would have:
    32k cases out of a population of 5M.

Look with all due respect Dougal, China has halted the spread of the infection there. Unchecked you could expect 20% of the population to be infected. This is what happens with influenza in general, and was witnessed in the last number of pandemics (e.g. swine flu, Spanish flu). Of those that have been infected we have statistics into its likely fatality rate.

If 20% of China were infected one would expect to see about 2.7 million deaths.

Sure why do you think they have gone to so much trouble? China doesn't even care about its citizens in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Boggles wrote: »
    19 questions and not one question mark.

:)

Really!!! It was not questions more statements to think over. I am sorry I offended you so so much O great one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

20% of 32k is 6,400 hospitalisation. 10% death rate of 6.4k is 640 victims.

Of course these are VERY rough figures for a period of 3 months for China, but deaths and new cases have nearly stopped over there.

But they locked down to prevent the spread of this. Without the lockdown the figure would be much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Blazer wrote: »
    Collective intelligence of the human species is barely above that of monkeys.
    Only for a few exceptional geniuses we’ll still be in caves scratching our balls.

we'd*

:pac:

Wouldn't normally do this, just thought it was too funny on a post lambasting our collective intelligence

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thewife wrote: »
    Pascal o donoghue was asked on the Sean o rourke show why we haven’t stopped flights from Italy coming here and amongst other things he said we need to think how Ireland would feel if a country banned us from landing or our citizens from arriving .. I was absolutely shocked that he seems to be looking at this travel ban as a insult to the Italians if it were to happen .. Am I taking him up wrong and totally over reacting or was I correct in saying that’s what his main agenda seemed to be ?

Typical irish politician...afraid of insulting someone else. Screw the irish people as we couldn't possibly insult the Italians. The Italians couldn't give a flying Shiite if flights were banned, it would actually make their job of locking down the country much easier if other countries stopped flights to and from Italy. O'Donoghue is a pathetic little sniffling idiot who hasn't the brains he was born with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

That's a bridge I for one will be happy to cross. It will be a minor miracle if there's a vaccine within 5 months. Some analysts have said there will not be a vaccine in 2020. This is partially due to the bleating there was about the swine flu vaccine which was rushed out before all the kinks were knocked out of it.

Agree 100%. An effective vaccine will be welcomed with open arms
    I just wanted to mention that a vaccine will not stamp out the virus but reduce cases and deaths
    Thanks for the reply :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Look with all due respect Dougal, China has halted the spread of the infection there. Unchecked you could expect 20% of the population to be infected. This is what happens with influenza in general, and was witnessed in the last number of pandemics (e.g. swine flu, Spanish flu). Of those that have been infected we have statistics into its likely fatality rate.

If 20% of China were infected one would expect to see about 2.7 million deaths.

Sure why do you think they have gone to so much trouble? China doesn't even care about its citizens in general.

Sure why act now when we can wait until Friday

laurah591 wrote: »
    Locally tourist & hospitality sectors will be hit significantly which will have significant knock on impacts on unemployment and bank defaults which i would be sure will place additional stress on the national balance sheet and this is before further investment in Health - housing etc. How will this be paid for

Internationally- market sentiment has been pointed towards the emergence of a global recesion for the last 12 months (inverse yield curve, technical recession recorded in Italy last year, borderline recession in Germany, slow down in Chinese economy coupled with serious debt issues, likewise India repoting slowing economy in 2019 and high debt levels in its public sector banks ); this virus is our 2020 Black Swan event and i do believe we wil see serious contagion.

The Italians had a really good idea with mortgage payment postponements. We will have to do something similar, especially for hard hit areas like tourism and hospitality. Once that happens, the pressure on landlords will be eased so they should be able to reduce or pause rents. Legislation is needed. Proactive legislation. Not Fine Gael's strongpoint unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

owlbethere wrote: »
    But they locked down to prevent the spread of this. Without the lockdown the figure would be much more.

And they had the ability to add thousands of temporary hospitals beds and deploy a massive amount of medical ventilators within less than 2 weeks.

Are we really confident we can do this kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I've just been onto a family member re visiting hours and have been informed that as from yesterday the nursing home in question is closed to all visitors as a precaution against infecting patients!

Makes sense, seeing as Covid-19 is most dangerous against the elderly & infirm....

I'll be making contact by phone instead.

As workers in the nursing homes come in from their homes etc? Are they wearing masks? Why cannot visitors wear masks. gowns etc?

Rather than separate families when folk are very old? Family ties are precious.
    This could go on a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Luke O'Neill on Pat Kenny programme there this morning. He seems to be more confident about a vaccine in September based on the number of teams working on it, how the all want to be first so there's a race between them, and the funding that has been available to them.

No doubt we can completely ignore this particular expert because the responsible experts are in scare-the-public-into-compliance mode. :rolleyes:

I find he is always so smiley - not sure id like if he was delivering bad news to me

China warned about potential asymtopic carriers spreading this virus weeks ago - yet this was only mentioned the other day as a new more worrying development - that 1 day potential to be contagious. I think this impacts his credibility - but then again - who am i say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Really!!! It was not questions more statements to think over. I am sorry I offended you so so much O great one

Boggles is a troll across many threads on boards ignore him.

Pro-active!

Ukraine's capital Kiev will close schools and universities from tomorrow until the end of March to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, city mayor Vitali Klitschko said.

He said the city would also restrict mass events in the capital, including concerts and conferences. Cinemas and entertainment areas in shopping malls will also close.

Ukraine has so far reported one coronavirus case

A good approach. Any countries who have done similar have done well. Western European countries who have valued business as usual are doing disastrously from CV spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

laurah591 wrote: »
    Locally tourist & hospitality sectors will be hit significantly which will have significant knock on impacts on unemployment and bank defaults which i would be sure will place additional stress on the national balance sheet and this is before further investment in Health - housing etc. How will this be paid for

Internationally- market sentiment has been pointed towards the emergence of a global recesion for the last 12 months (inverse yield curve, technical recession recorded in Italy last year, borderline recession in Germany, slow down in Chinese economy coupled with serious debt issues, likewise India repoting slowing economy in 2019 and high debt levels in its public sector banks ); this virus is our 2020 Black Swan event and i do believe we wil see serious contagion.

Many Irish tourist businesses will face bankruptcy. This crisis is hitting just at the start of the main tourist season. For 6 months of the year many tourism businesses are losing money or barely breaking even. The 6 months March to August is when these businesses make the money that enables them to survive for the rest of the year.
    I would expect staff to be let go, loans and utility bills to go unpaid as at this time of year many businesses are running on fumes and expecting cash to start rolling in from this month on.

I am involved in the industry and 9/11, foot & mouth pales in comparison to this. Of course peoples health is the main priority in this crisis but the economic consequences will be severe and long lasting.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Maybe its time to sing:

Schools out for the summer!

If they close the schools next week or the week after - or whenever they do it - it will be very hard to reopen.

Imagine we have 100 cases next week and they decide to close the schools. After Easter, there will be a multiple of that number and we might still not be at the peak, so how could they declare it safe to reopen?

Then you get rolling week-by-week decisions to not open the schools until it's June, everyone has found solutions to their work-from-home/child-minding crises, and they decide to just leave them off until the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

murphaph wrote: »
    Look it's all about the probabilities. Fewer visitors and or staff means fewer vectors for the infection. Yes one staff member could still bring it in but it's more likely to be brought in the more distinct visitors you have. Staff will presumably be wearing facemasks also.

Are they though?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

CHINA'S QIANJIANG, A CITY IN HUBEI PROVINCE, SAYS WILL CONTINUE WITH STRICT TRANSPORTATION BANS, REVOKING PREVIOUS POLICY RELAXATION

Strange thing to do when you are posting new case numbers almost on par with this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

20% of 32k is 6,400 hospitalisation. 10% death rate of 6.4k is 640 victims.

Of course these are VERY rough figures for a period of 3 months for China, but deaths and new cases have nearly stopped over there.

Italy have surpassed Chinas figures and still rising rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

that seems to be the norm,where's harris ?

His mammy wont let him out as he has a bad nappy rash...poor wee pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I'm in the office at work and some people are clearly sick,should I start wearing my back up mask and gloves?

No but those people should be told to go home until they're feeling better. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Sure why act now when we can wait until Friday

You know what they say:

'a stitch in time is probably unnecessary. It's only a small tear anyway. No point putting any effort in until you need a new jacket.'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Wibbs wrote: »
    Closing the schools would have a major impact on society. Like you say what do working parents do and most households with kids would have both working. This would have worked out fine in the 1960's and 70's, but not today. How do folks keep paying mortgages and the like? We'd have to have real leadership from government, with the banks being ordered to have a loan freeze, but that won't happen with the gibbering idiots we have in the Dail.

On the other hand closing schools would likely limit the spread of this quite substantially. One major positive about this dose is that it doesn't appear to affect children even if they catch it. However it does "use them" as a vector. They can be asymptomatic and infectious and milling together in school builds the viral reserve in the community and they then bring that home. I see this with any of the usual "bug going around" in friends with kids. Said bug is usually brought home by their kids. I saw that in action with the one that was doing the rounds at christmas. I got it from my friend, who had got it from his youngest kid who brought it home from school.

My immune system is compromised and every, single, time the grandkids come to stay I end up with something - usually a cold - while they appear to be perfectly healthy.
    I'm used to it by now but I think I may stick to waving at them from a distance for a while.
    They can stand on the path at the end of the front garden while Nana flings chocolate at them from an upstairs window. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Just received an email from one of my suppliers based in Treviso (Northern Italy) to tell me it's business as usual.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement