Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Schools - What about working parents !!!

Options
  • 11-03-2020 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi All

Both my wife and I work and we have two primary school children. After school we make use of the nearby after school for minding our kids until we finish work. So if all of these places shut down what are we to do ? I can’t exactly trll my employer that I can’t work for the next two months as I have no one to mind the kids and secondly even if I did I won’t be entitled to any pay and we couldn’t survive for a couple of months with no money and we won’t be entitled to the 305 sick pay. I personally think the government need to think this through before they act. It’s all well and fine for teachers and the public sector but what about the Joe soaps with a regular job in the private sector. To say I’m worried is an understatement !!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Hi All

Both my wife and I work and we have two primary school children. After school we make use of the nearby after school for minding our kids until we finish work. So if all of these places shut down what are we to do ? I can’t exactly trll my employer that I can’t work for the next two months as I have no one to mind the kids and secondly even if I did I won’t be entitled to any pay and we couldn’t survive for a couple of months with no money and we won’t be entitled to the 305 sick pay. I personally think the government need to think this through before they act. It’s all well and fine for teachers and the public sector but what about the Joe soaps with a regular job in the private sector. To say I’m worried is an understatement !!!

Us joe soaps in the public sector have kids and bills too you know.Plus a lower average wage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Noddy Nangle

Us joe soaps in the public sector have kids and bills too you know.Plus a lower average wage

I’m not starting an argument. We are not on big money either but reality is that you will get paid, I won’t. Even if you go sick for two months to look after the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

I think you have a fair reason for worry and as a teacher I don’t take your post personally in any way. But I genuinely think schools will close-for how long is anyone’s guess. This is going to put a huge strain on the whole country and creative solutions are needed. Children are the main germ spreaders in the population so keeping them together in large groups and small spaces will help this spread at rapid speed. At some point, this will have to be stopped meaning schools/crèches will close in my opinion. If I was you, I would be making alternative arrangements as soon as possible. Is there any way one of you could work from home? Or could you both work flexible time? So one is always home? Has your place of work any plans made?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

School is not a babysitter!

Mortgages are going to be suspended - if neither of you are on great money then you are probably better off with the €305 a week and no childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

you will still get paid. what about freelance workers? zero contract hour workers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Hi All

These kind of decisions are made based on the bigger picture. Closing schools means less of a spread and hopefully less people dying. People's jobs come second to that. I'm not happy about it either and don't know how I'll manage but I am totally for it happening. I only wish they did more earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

You still get paid and can’t be fired. I work for myself. If I stop, the money stops coming in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

You still get paid and can’t be fired. I work for myself. If I stop, the money stops coming in.

this is an absolute myth that people somehow still believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Zagreb Ebnem Zloty Diev

then you are probably better off with the €305 a week and no childcare.
    we won’t be entitled to the 305 sick pay.

Did you even read the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

School is not a babysitter!

Mortgages are going to be suspended - if neither of you are on great money then you are probably better off with the €305 a week and no childcare.

You do know that the €305 is only for those diagnosed with the COVID 19 ? Its not for people staying at home to mind kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Drastic times call for drastic measures. We are walking into a national emergency and decisions like this aren't taken lightly.
    If its any consolation - and I know it probably won't be - you'll be one of hundreds of thousands of people in the same position.
    We're heading for another recession because of this and everyone's in the same boat.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Italy is saying that if necessary, the next step in their lockdown is to potentially order all non-essential businesses (medical, relevant research and food production and distribution) to shut down. What do you think happens to the private sector after that? When this is over how many businesses won't have even the remotest chance of recovery?

We either take proactive steps now, hard as they may be, to avoid us getting as bad as Italy. Or we end up in a far, far, far worse position in 15-20 days time. Schools will potentially be shut for far longer if we wait. And your employer could be ordered to stop work entirely for a couple of months. The odds of either of you having any job to go back to if we get that bad are far worse than if you have to make arrangements for you both to work part-time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

The rules are being relaxed to allow the €305 payment to be extended to self-employed people, and those without enough PRSI contributions.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0309/1121216-sick-pay-emergency-legislation/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

AulWan wrote: »
    The rules are being relaxed to allow the €305 payment to be extended to self-employed people, and those without enough PRSI contributions.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0309/1121216-sick-pay-emergency-legislation/

If sick with the virus, not to mind their children because schools are closed

What would you prefer? The virus to spread and people to die?

Because that is the other option.

The banks said they will work with anyone who has financial issues as a result of Corona.

Its ridiculous the schools aren't closed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Schools are for education not for babysitting. I don't understand your issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Sleeper12 wrote: »

You need to read the OP again so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

The banks said they will work with anyone who has financial issues as a result of Corona.

I wonder will they though. In a few months time if people can't seem to make up the payments from not taking in a wage. I wouldn't trust a banks word

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

Not officially, but they are. If their kids are not at school their parents can't be at work, and this will affect us all when the economy collapses.
    I'm fortunate enough to not be affected, I can work from home, but a lot of parents will be facing hard times on top of a very difficult situation.

Death -versus- very difficult situation.

I know which I'd choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

Sure, if schools need to close then they need to close. But some relief must be provided to affected working parent.

Cordell wrote: »
    Sure, if schools need to close then they need to close. But some relief must be provided to affected working parent.

I agree, something will need to be done - I believe Italy has instructed their banks not to collect mortgage payments.

But not closing the schools just so people can keep collecting a pay cheque is not realistic.

They are saying we can expect numbers of new cases to double every second day... so 10 new infections yesterday, 20 more by tomorrow, 40 more by two days after that.

Its batten down the hatches and wait it out, time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Most people organise their lives and schedules around the fact that their children are in school from 9-3 or whatever every day during normal term time. Everyone is aware that there will be the odd occasion where a child has to stay home for a short period, and at those times, parental leave/grandparents/neighbours/friends are drafted in. It's generally manageable because it's the odd child here and there.

If every child in the country is at home, and the usual alternatives (child minders who take in 4 or 5 kids for an hour or two after school) aren't available, it will cause people problems. There aren't enough grandparents etc to go around, and the grandparents are more likely to be the vulnerable ones, so might want/need to limit contact anyway.

While everyone appreciates that closing schools may be necessary, it still places a strain on a lot of people who may need to take unpaid time off to cater for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Cordell wrote: »

In theory I agree with you, but where is this money going to come from?
    Our budget never accounted for a crisis like this. Small businesses are going to go under and jobs are going to be lost. If they aren't making money, they can't afford to keep paying staff, the cashflow just isn't there.
    There are going to be a lot of people financially struggling this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

this is an absolute myth that people somehow still believe

Crazy. I’m a public sector worker. As it happens, I’m on mat leave, but if I wasn’t, I’d be taking unpaid parental leave as necessary. I wouldn’t just be getting paid for staying at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bullocks wrote:
    You need to read the OP again so.

I read the OP. If the schools close down everyone will need someone to mind their kids. Even if the after school place stayed open he'd have no one to mind the kids during school hours. This is my point. Schools aren't a babysitting service

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

They are saying we can expect numbers of new cases to double every second day... so 10 new infections yesterday, 20 more by tomorrow, 40 more by two days after that. .

Who are they? What a crock of BS.

That would be over 600,000 new infections per day in just over a month. Go away with your stupid non facts.

Who are they? What a crock of BS.

That would be over 600,000 new infections per day in just over a month. Go away with your stupid non facts.

Those were the numbers estimated at HSE meeting yesterday that a family member (health care professional) attended IF this is not contained.

Now you see the urgency to stop this thing in its tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Those were the numbers estimated at HSE meeting yesterday that a family member (health care professional) attended IF this is not contained.

Now you see the urgency to stop this thing in its tracks.

So health care professionals met yesterday and said that the number of infections would double every two days, which would involve over 600,000 new infections PER DAY in just over a month.

I'm going to guess that your family member either didn't grasp the figures or, more likely, that you don't.

• Advertisement

So health care professionals met yesterday and said that the number of infections would double every two days, which would involve over 600,000 new infections PER DAY in just over a month.

I'm going to guess that your family member either didn't grasp the figures or, more likely, that you don't.

They said the number of new infections would double per day.

So, there were ten NEW infections yesterday. Total cases 36

Expect 20 new infections by tomorrow. Total cases 56

Expect 40 new infections by Saturday. Total cases 96

And so on.

Advertisement