Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Lithuanian crime gang suspected of carrying out multi-million bicycle theft racket
    https://www.thejournal.ie/bike-theft-dublin-lithuania-4995364-Feb2020/

another article in the Journal.ie, some of the details have been covered earlier in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

If anyone wants to trawl through Lithunaian buy and sell after that article here is one such webpage if its any use https://www.skelbiu.lt/skelbimai/transportas/dviraciai/plento-sportiniai-dviraciai/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Lithuanian crime gang suspected of carrying out multi-million bicycle theft racket
    https://www.thejournal.ie/bike-theft-dublin-lithuania-4995364-Feb2020/

another article in the Journal.ie, some of the details have been covered earlier in this thread

No mention of whether or not the tracked bike was seized or simply just monitored.

And with

"After realising the bicycle had been stolen, the owner alerted the company via their service app. They set a signal in motion and the bike could then be tracked via its GPS, which ‘pings’ the signal at random intervals."

How does this work ? I can see how a tracker may read from a GPS signal infrequently but how does the transmission happen ? I presume there isn't SIM a card involved

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No mention of whether or not the tracked bike was seized or simply just monitored.

And with

"After realising the bicycle had been stolen, the owner alerted the company via their service app. They set a signal in motion and the bike could then be tracked via its GPS, which ‘pings’ the signal at random intervals."

How does this work ? I can see how a tracker may read from a GPS signal infrequently but how does the transmission happen ? I presume there isn't SIM a card involved

I think there'd have to be a SIM card involved to get updated GPS positions. Either that or some class of proprietary wireless WAN or radio transmitter, both of which seem less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've just ordered a GPS tracker for my motorbike, it has a sim and you need to pay 30quid a year for it. How it works is if the bike moves without the keyfob near the bike I get calls and texts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

smacl wrote: »
    I think there'd have to be a SIM card involved to get updated GPS positions. Either that or some class of proprietary wireless WAN or radio transmitter, both of which seem less likely.
    There are trackers using proprietry networks like SigFox, which have good coverage in urban areas.

https://www.munstergps.ie/product-category/sim-free-gps-trackers/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 600lbs

Hi All

I'd greatly appreciate if you could keep an eye out for 3 bikes stolen from my house on Shanowen Avenue, Santry near DCU some time between 5pm on the evening of Monday 17th February and 7am On Tuesday 18th February.

I'm unable to post links as I'm a new user so I had to edit out the https from the links below

Bikes:

1. Scott Speedster 30 Mens road bike. - 2017 model black and orange.
    evanscycles.com/en-ie/scott-speedster-30-2017-road-bike-EV286214

2. Tern Linke D8 womens foldable bike - Purple. Very unique looking folding bike.

ternbicycles.com/bikes/475/link-d8

3. Trek 7.3 FX WSD - Women's hybrid. - black very similar to this freewheelbike.com/product/trek-7.3-fx-wsd-womens-173035-1.htm

The Scott and Trek bikes both had Abus Sinus plus 471 150 HB locks in the holders on their frame, the scumbags don't have the keys. They also had a set of Cateye Volt 100 XC - Rapid Micro Lights on the front and rear.

The trek and Scott also had bike racks fitted to the rear which weren't fitted when the photos below were taken.

Photos of the bikes:

picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_scott_speedster_30_road_bike_2017_model.jpg

Picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_screenshot_20200218_075606.jpg

picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_trek_73_fx_wsd_womens_black.jpg

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

600lbs wrote: »
    Hi All

I'd greatly appreciate if you could keep an eye out for 3 bikes stolen from my house on Shanowen Avenue, Santry near DCU some time between 5pm on the evening of Monday 17th February and 7am On Tuesday 18th February.

I'm unable to post links as I'm a new user so I had to edit out the https from the links below

Bikes:

1. Scott Speedster 30 Mens road bike. - 2017 model black and orange.
    evanscycles.com/en-ie/scott-speedster-30-2017-road-bike-EV286214

2. Tern Linke D8 womens foldable bike - Purple. Very unique looking folding bike.

ternbicycles.com/bikes/475/link-d8

3. Trek 7.3 FX WSD - Women's hybrid. - black very similar to this freewheelbike.com/product/trek-7.3-fx-wsd-womens-173035-1.htm

The Scott and Trek bikes both had Abus Sinus plus 471 150 HB locks in the holders on their frame, the scumbags don't have the keys. They also had a set of Cateye Volt 100 XC - Rapid Micro Lights on the front and rear.

The trek and Scott also had bike racks fitted to the rear which weren't fitted when the photos below were taken.

Photos of the bikes:

picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_scott_speedster_30_road_bike_2017_model.jpg

Picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_screenshot_20200218_075606.jpg

picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_trek_73_fx_wsd_womens_black.jpg

Than you.

Facebook marketplace is a good bet.

The last few weeks I've seen an endless amount of bikes valued close to 1k being sold for 150, I asked a lad out of curiosity what's the best he'd do on a trek alexa that looked brand new, he said he'd give it to me for 60 if I met him at northside shopping centre in next 20 mins lol

Marketplace is full of them

italodisco wrote: »
    Facebook marketplace is a good bet.

The last few weeks I've seen an endless amount of bikes valued close to 1k being sold for 150, I asked a lad out of curiosity what's the best he'd do on a trek alexa that looked brand new, he said he'd give it to me for 60 if I met him at northside shopping centre in next 20 mins lol

Marketplace is full of them

Thank you for your advice, italodisco.

Its about ten years since I last used Facebook, are there specific selling groups I should follow or is marketplace a separate feature on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If owner came back. Probably be in trouble if attacked them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Hi All

Very sorry to hear that. I live on Shanowen Avenue.

I'm on out on the bike around 6.30am and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

micar wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that. I live on Shanowen Avenue.

I'm on out on the bike around 6.30am and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Thank you, micar. We only bought the house so it's a nice welcoming gift from the local scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Thank you, micar. We only bought the house so it's a nice welcoming gift from the local scumbags.

Is it ok if I pm you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We looked at a house on that road, wonder if it was the same one? It's a high traffic area, and close to a garda station and also lots of students around so it's a risky enough place you'd think, but these folk don't care.

We moved in near enough, and there was a local meeting about bike theft in the area (Glasnevin/Finglas) so it's something that's a happening.

I've also been on the 4 before where I saw a few scrotes get off at DCU with some hacksaws with the intention of going on campus to nick bikes I think.

micar wrote: »
    Is it ok if I pm you?

Of course you can. Thanks.

Yeah, they were brazen enough as they would have come through the back garden to burgle the house, which means they would been in a few other adjoining gardens to get access.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    We looked at a house on that road, wonder if it was the same one? It's a high traffic area, and close to a garda station and also lots of students around so it's a risky enough place you'd think, but these folk don't care.

We moved in near enough, and there was a local meeting about bike theft in the area (Glasnevin/Finglas) so it's something that's a happening.

I've also been on the 4 before where I saw a few scrotes get off at DCU with some hacksaws with the intention of going on campus to nick bikes I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The bikes were stolen from inside the house?

Scary thought.

Yeah, the scumbags broke into the house and stole the three bikes and other items.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Passing by IFSC towards Beckett bridge, saw the aftermath (heard the incident) of a bike thief getting hit by a car.

The car was turning right, and the thief was cycling away from either a concerned citizen or bike owner, and they undertook and completely misjudged the arc of their and the cars trajectory.

Very lucky to not have a very serious injury, but I had zero sympathy for them. The citizen made sure the driver was okay while the fecker did a runner.

He'd probably get compensation too if he stuck around and got details

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Weepsie wrote: »
    Passing by IFSC towards Beckett bridge, saw the aftermath (heard the incident) of a bike thief getting hit by a car.

The car was turning right, and the thief was cycling away from either a concerned citizen or bike owner, and they undertook and completely misjudged the arc of their and the cars trajectory.

Very lucky to not have a very serious injury, but I had zero sympathy for them. The citizen made sure the driver was okay while the fecker did a runner.

He'd probably get compensation too if he stuck around and got details

Fcuking cockroaches. It's hard to kill them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Picture on Dalkey Open Facebook today of gangsters robbing bikes at Glenageary Dart station.. Ran off and hopped on Dart - probably to the next station... little feckers !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

emclau wrote: »
    Picture on Dalkey Open Facebook today of gangsters robbing bikes at Glenageary Dart station.. Ran off and hopped on Dart - probably to the next station... little feckers !

Another post just now
    “ 3 lads after stealing a grey men’s “Fuji” bike from Killiney dart station headed off on the train toward Connolly. Gardai and Dart notified so hopefully can do something before they get off”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ted1 wrote: »
    Another post just now
    “ 3 lads after stealing a grey men’s “Fuji” bike from Killiney dart station headed off on the train toward Connolly. Gardai and Dart notified so hopefully can do something before they get off”

If not hopefully they will use the footage.

Was watching the new k series and it's hilarious to see how back in the day the Gardai as a whole are....

They are so out of date they still use paper and ink for finger prints.

The UK is at least 10 to 15 years using technology and other improvements even longer.

If not hopefully they will use the footage.

They will have ample footage from the dart station where they got on, the DART carriages, and the station where they got out.. yet my confidence of the bike being returned, culprits getting caught or prosecuted, is zero....

Shouldn’t read this forum after 10pm-makes the blood boil!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Hi all I’d appreciate if anybody can keep an eye out for this in Galway, A friends bike stolen from his home on the Clybaun Road yesterday, bike is very specific.

Please DM me or ring Gardai,

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

emclau wrote: »
    Shouldn’t read this forum after 10pm-makes the blood boil!!!
    You want blood boiling? Try this;

https://twitter.com/Jamie_O_Hara/status/1238943731623092225

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What time was it stolen?
    What makes the bike specific? It's not a great photo, but is there any red lettering on the wheel rims?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Some little pr*ck stole my bike from outside my house last night.

I cant for the life of me find the serial number ( and I am annoyed at myself for that )

For what its worth its a LaPierre Trek 200 as the picture says

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod Note: Threads merged

Advertisement