Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Bike (amd helmet) stolen.

Boy's bike - black and green - (i) 21 Speed Shimano (ii) 26 DD (iii) MTB Series written on it in big green lettering (it's actually very basic!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can post the details of the bike in this thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Throw this on Incase anyone can help out. Bike was stolen in Howth village

Screenshot-20191124-151957-Samsung-Internet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    As an add on to that why not put a small indiscreet barcode or QR code on your bike and have it scanned on exit which would bring up a picture of the owner on security guards screen.

This is a brilliant idea. Or of course just have a list of the frame numbers with photos of the owners at the security gate, and check each number. When I was a kid it was normal to be stopped by gardaí who'd get you off the bike, turn it up and check the frame number against a list of stolen bikes;

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭julio arca

Giant Rapid 0 stolen from outside Spar in Ballsbridge at 5.45pm this evening. I went inside for 30 seconds and foolishly left bike unlocked. Any info appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 moodus

Hiyiz,

3 bikes stolen from a locked shed in the Kentstown Co. Meath area yesterday afternoon / last night. Nothing else taken from the shed, and no reports of other breakins locally, so I suspect they were using Strava data to look for bikes.

Bike 1: Black hardtail mountain bike (ICAN XT275)

Matte UD carbon frame, with no stickers or markings.
    Black 120mm Rockshox Reba fork with black lowers and silver stanchions (unmarked).
    Fork serial is 07T64886012 (written at top of fork, under the down tube).
    WTB Ranger tubeless tyres.
    1x10 drivetrain with gold-coloured cassette.
    Black and white striped Charge saddle.
    KS dropper post.
    Shimano SLX brakes.
    ZTTO dropper post lever.
    Gold bar end locking rings.
    Broken derailleur hanger.
    No chain.
    Rubber mastic protective tape on chain and seat stays.
    Kydex rock guard under down tube / bottom bracket.
    Black Shimano SPDs (trail).

Bike 2: White road bike (Boardman Team Carbon)

White carbon frame, with Boardman logo on the side.
    White rubber hoods on top of handlebars.
    Solid red bar tape.
    White Prologo Scratch Pro saddle.
    Narrow aero carbon seatpost with hatch pattern.
    2 white carbon fiber bottle holders.
    White Shimano SPDs.

Bike 3: Green ladies' style bike (Kross)

Bike is a "Kross Classico" - a Polish make
    Green steel frame.
    Basket on front.
    Brown leather saddle and grips.
    Silver light on front.
    Carrier on back.
    Green mudguards front and rear.
    Distinctive elastic cords running from rear axle around rear mudguard.

If you PM a MOD they'll be able to post images for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

moodus wrote: »
    Hiyiz,

3 bikes stolen from a locked shed in the Kentstown Co. Meath area yesterday afternoon / last night. Nothing else taken from the shed, and no reports of other breakins locally, so I suspect they were using Strava data to look for bikes.

Bike 1: Black hardtail mountain bike (ICAN XT275)

Bike-1-MTB-01-recent.jpg

Matte UD carbon frame, with no stickers or markings.
    Black 120mm Rockshox Reba fork with black lowers and silver stanchions (unmarked).
    Fork serial is 07T64886012 (written at top of fork, under the down tube).
    WTB Ranger tubeless tyres.
    1x10 drivetrain with gold-coloured cassette.
    Black and white striped Charge saddle.
    KS dropper post.
    Shimano SLX brakes.
    ZTTO dropper post lever.
    Gold bar end locking rings.
    Broken derailleur hanger.
    No chain.
    Rubber mastic protective tape on chain and seat stays.
    Kydex rock guard under down tube / bottom bracket.
    Black Shimano SPDs (trail).

Bike 2: White road bike (Boardman Team Carbon)

Bike-2-Road-01-As-supplied-wrong-bar-tape-hoods-saddle-seatp.jpg

White carbon frame, with Boardman logo on the side.
    White rubber hoods on top of handlebars.
    Solid red bar tape.
    White Prologo Scratch Pro saddle.
    Narrow aero carbon seatpost with hatch pattern.
    2 white carbon fiber bottle holders.
    White Shimano SPDs.

Bike 3: Green ladies' style bike (Kross)

Bike-3-Ladies-road-bike.jpg

Make is "Kross" - a Polish make
    Green steel frame.
    Basket on front.
    Brown leather saddle and grips.
    Silver light on front.
    Carrier on back.
    Green mudguards front and rear.
    Distinctive elastic cords running from rear axle around rear mudguard.

More likely to catch someone eye if they're visible pics. Hope you have some joy getting them back and a bit late but be sure to set up your privacy zone on strava. Out of curiosity I once checked out a boardsies strava link he posted and I could follow him back to his house and new exactly what bike would be there.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    More likely to catch someone eye if they're visible pics. Hope you have some joy getting them back and a bit late but be sure to set up your privacy zone on strava. Out of curiosity I once checked out a boardsies strava link he posted and I could follow him back to his house and new exactly what bike would be there.

Yep, that's what I figure happened all right. I've a bunch of KOMs and whatever, so I guess might have become a target for someone who reckons speed = super fancy bike.

I had the privacy zone set to a 400m radius, but as it happened it covered all of about 4 houses (in the sticks y'see). I've increased it to 1km, bit it's not like I'll be able to store anything out in the shed for the next year or so anyway.

• Advertisement

Yep, that's what I figure happened all right. I've a bunch of KOMs and whatever, so I guess might have become a target for someone who reckons speed = super fancy bike.

I had the privacy zone set to a 400m radius, but as it happened it covered all of about 4 houses (in the sticks y'see). I've increased it to 1km, bit it's not like I'll be able to store anything out in the shed for the next year or so anyway.

Yeah its a bit of a pain when you live in a one off build and a handful of neighbours within a few kms. Avoid adding pics of your bike to your strava spins also as these make it easier to rob to order in some instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The only way I'd put a decent bike in a she'd if it is block built, good door and we'll locked bikes anchored well.

All I have is a wooden shed till can get sorted so it stays in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just set all your Strava rides to private - you don't have to prove anything to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Fuji Rakan 1.3 29in - brand new enduro bike - colour win

Vitus Vitesse Dura Ace - road bike - black and red

Cannondale Caadx Cross - Ultegra Hydraulic - colour green

All bikes size Large. If anybody here finds any of them for sale please let me know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thread moved Casati. You can stick pics and more details up here if you like. If anyone sees anything, please contact by PM and don't post publically etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Casati wrote: »
    Now with photos. Any info please IM me please

Hopefully with photos now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

I was going to ask if there was a national bike register that could be used to reunite owners with their bikes but a quick google showed BikeRegister.ie exists - I must register mine. Hope the guards are aware of the site too.

I’d be interested to hear who owned the container, to see who might be behind organised bike theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^
    The owner would have had no problem, pointing out a few unique features on that bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Eamonnator wrote: »
    ^^^^
    The owner would have had no problem, pointing out a few unique features on that bike.

I think that is the owner with their reunited bike.

Had a bike stolen last October. Unlikely to one of the 116 but harm inquiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

p15574 wrote: »
    I was going to ask if there was a national bike register that could be used to reunite owners with their bikes but a quick google showed BikeRegister.ie exists - I must register mine. Hope the guards are aware of the site too.

I’d be interested to hear who owned the container, to see who might be behind organised bike theft.
    The Gardai also operate their own register, at least at some stations (Donnybrook). They allowed people to register their bikes with serial numbers, which were then logged on Pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭zell12

More than 18,000 bikes were stolen over three years - but just 11% were retrieved
    Roisin Shortall is calling on Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan and the Garda Commissioner Drew Harris to publish a new strategy for tackling bike theft. "A 10% retrieval rate for stolen bicycles is simply not good enough and we need a strategy for clamping down on high levels of bike theft particularly in urban areas. There have been some reports that higher-end stolen bicycles are being exported by criminal gangs, and if that is the case then we urgently need a strategy to stop this criminal activity."

Hiyiz,

The Gardaí found my road bike. It was in that container in Newcastle. Should have it back Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Fair play to them. I didn't have the serial number, so emailed them in Pearse St with a description.

No sign of the other 2 - I reckon the MTB might have been dumped as it had a broken derailleur & no chain. I understand some of the bikes in the container had been robbed up to 6 months ago.

Updated: The nice garda rang me back to say they've found my mountain bike also. Delighted. Great work by the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

A friend found a Merida big nine mtb in Cabra last night.

It's green and black with not a lot of miles on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I might mail them as well, live in Bray so not far from Newcastle, thanks for the heads up

Owner has been found so removing FB page etc.

Someone has to recognise this surely, looks to be a s-works frame. :eek:

"found the bottom of Sandys hill this morning.. would like to get it back to its rightful owner"

I came across the post on the MTB Ireland FB page,

Link to the original posters account

81934198_10156659425221606_3525942462369497088_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=0w1IBr--vuEAQmj1pVN5cS1p9wsqfZipT3UABcFPYIdni2CvVWONWXRGw&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a1a65c8f7d1283a6bfd3ec3aa0392f80&oe=5EACB8AB

Jeff2 wrote: »
    A friend found a Merida big nine mtb in Cabra last night.

It's green and black with not a lot of miles on it.

A pal had one of those stolen from Howth about 4 Months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

A pal had one of those stolen from Howth about 4 Months ago

It's has the frame number on it.

Can you check with them if they have that.

• Advertisement

Jeff2 wrote: »
    It's has the frame number on it.

Can you check with them if they have that.

Yep I'll drop him a text.

Advertisement