Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭pc11

EasyG wrote: »
    I'm running a 10k in central park at the end of the month. Praying to Jah it's not cancelled. Flights & accom paid.
    It's a flu ffs. .

It's not 'a flu' and you should feel ashamed for saying that. There have been a thousand and one articles clearly explaining this and my lengthy post saying the same thing.

There's no vaccine for stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

robinph wrote: »
    Paris Marathon on 5th April cancelled (although they are officially calling it delayed).

Ah well, nice weekend away in Paris for myself and "her indoors" anyway as its all paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

6run28 wrote:
    To be expected with the increase in new cases in France this week unfortunately... i might look at a replacement in May - maybe Limerick

Wouldn't be surprised if limerick gets cancelled depending how things go

Wouldn't be surprised if limerick gets cancelled depending how things go

Given that there are 4 cases confirmed in Clare I cant see Limerick going ahead either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

It's just arrived in Cork also :( Not a person who's travelled from Italy this time either.

Coronavirus: Seventh patient tests positive in the Republic

• Advertisement

Paris Marathon on 5th April cancelled (although they are officially calling it delayed).

New date 18th October, one week after Chicago and one week before Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 EasyG

pc11 wrote: »
    It's not 'a flu' and you should feel ashamed for saying that. There have been a thousand and one articles clearly explaining this and my lengthy post saying the same thing.

There's no vaccine for stupid...
    I feel very ashamed. Thanks for your expertise, where would we be without you. I'll just go and cancel myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Oohh, interesting, thanks for sharing the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Good stuff. Entered East of Ireland, Balbriggan Marathon last night which is a week earlier, this looks interesting too, wonder if there thinking of the old Kildare marathon route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

its part of the ORS 3/4Marathon - which is a 2 looped race. - This might just be a 3rd loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Would the London organisers try to do a Tokyo and let the elites run it even if they have to cancel the 'popular' event? I'd hate to lose the Kipchoge/Bekele showdown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Itziger wrote: »
    Would the London organisers try to do a Tokyo and let the elites run it even if they have to cancel the 'popular' event? I'd hate to lose the Kipchoge/Bekele showdown.

Can't see that working. The UK population being a bit less likely to just sit around at home and do what they are told and would head out to run anyway.

The best solution so far seems to be Belfast with cancelling the Expo. By the time London comes round though I think we'll be past the point where they reasonably think they can delay the spread anymore so either 20% of the population is ill and nobody wants to run anyway, or will just go ahead as it's not going to make things any worse by that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

World Half Marathon Champs postponed now also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can't see it going ahead if everything else gets cancelled.

Can't see it going ahead if everything else gets cancelled.

It's a numbers game. Limits have been imposed on crowds exceeding 5000 in France so you'd imagine similar or slightly stricter limits here and the UK. Max for this event is 250.

Edit: 200 places remaining which seems like a decent take up in a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Kinvara marathon, half marathon and 10km confirmed to be going ahead tomorrow...

"***Coronavirus Update*** The race goes ahead on Saturday as planned. We look forward to seeing you all on the start line and wish you a great race. Please note that no further entries are available."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I would think all events bar marathons will go ahead.
    The marathon in itself causes such a strain on the immune system that putting 10000 people in that position together is a risk.

A 10k etc is no different that a walk in the park in terms of impact on the body.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A 10k etc is no different that a walk in the park in terms of impact on the body.

You've not been trying hard enough then. ;)

• Advertisement

sideswipe wrote: »
    It's a numbers game. Limits have been imposed on crowds exceeding 5000 in France so you'd imagine similar or slightly stricter limits here and the UK. Max for this event is 250.

Edit: 200 places remaining which seems like a decent take up in a few hours.

But if this gets bad they will stop everything. Personally, after a few weeks, life will just move on

But if this gets bad they will stop everything. Personally, after a few weeks, life will just move on

Let’s me clutch at straws damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I know it’s not bad in Ireland yet but a lot of Parkruns are cancelled in Italy due to the coronavirus. Ireland generally over reacts (or reacts appropriately depending on how you see it) so with another few confirmed cases while still a fraction of the outbreak of Italy we’ll have small events like Parkrun or local 10k races also cancelled.

https://www.parkrun.com/cancellations/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Feck all pasta in Tesco too. I always thought their 'Made in Italy' was marketing nonsense. Maybe it's true.
    At least we can all eat the pallets of toilet roll we've been stockpiling when the food runs out

Dudda wrote: »
    I know it’s not bad in Ireland yet but a lot of Parkruns are cancelled in Italy due to the coronavirus. Ireland generally over reacts (or reacts appropriately depending on how you see it) so with another few confirmed cases while still a fraction of the outbreak of Italy we’ll have small events like Parkrun or local 10k races also cancelled.

Personally I think Ireland has done nothing to contain this. They will panic and over react in a week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

You've not been trying hard enough then. ;)

Good one, although in fairness I've often got colds etc on flights home after spring marathons.

Enduro, you are the outlier no doubt as I think you'd manage to fight it off after a 100 miler.
    If you got it we may as well go underground.

Dudda wrote: »

Cancelling small local outdoor events like Parkrun makes no sense whatsoever, not unless you have also shut literally everything and every business and school already.

There would be as much risk shopping or getting to work or whatever.

its part of the ORS 3/4Marathon - which is a 2 looped race. - This might just be a 3rd loop.

I really hope the organisers are better at fractions! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Good one, although in fairness I've often got colds etc on flights home after spring marathons.

Enduro, you are the outlier no doubt as I think you'd manage to fight it off after a 100 miler.
    If you got it we may as well go underground.

I'm not an outlier at all. I read an interesting piece of research a few years ago which compared the post race health and recovery of significant samples athletes from 2 specific races... the UTMB and the TDG. Now the TDG is about twice the distance and probably 3 times the effort of the UTMB (at least). The finding was something along the lines that the TDG athletes were about 50 percent less damaged than the UTMB athletes. The mooted explanation I most agree with is that longer races require slower pacing, which is less likely to cause severe damage.

That can be applied right down the distances (look at the way you quite often see sprinters pull up sharply with a "pulled muscle" or whatever mid-race at the top level.

Anyway... I think being in a position to run a marathon probably puts you automatically in a lower risk category compared to anyone who isn't. Significantly so.

• Advertisement

pc11 wrote: »
    I really hope the organisers are better at fractions! :-)

Ahhh but its the size of the loops that count!

Advertisement