Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mag and converted assault rifle ban

• 01-03-2020 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭

Dont forget on Monday to make an appointment with your local cheif Super,to hand in your 20 round semi auto rifle mags and converted to semi auto only former assault rifles and over 20 round CF pistol mags.

As well as any full auto blank firing weaponary ,and under the Irish muck up,your full auto paintball toy,as technically it is now,a CAT A prohibited weapon.Due to it being (1)a restricted firearm under Irish law and (2) being a full auto under EU law.Ergo because it is a registerd firearm here it is because of that registration made illegal by the EU directive.

Oh and don't expect compensation either.The EU court of "justice" ruled that you are not entitled to any when it comes to firearms.

So if you are handing in any,at least paint them as a protest bright PINK.So at least when we have a bunch of Gaurds and politicans standing around behind a pile of Pink mags and guns they will look a right bunch altogether in the photo shoot,in how this law wil make it safer for the public,blah blah etc ,etc.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mine had an accident, but i'll gladly hand the ziplock bag of bits in.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Dont forget on Monday to make an appointment with your local cheif Super,to hand in your 20 round semi auto rifle mags and converted to semi auto only former assault rifles and over 20 round CF pistol mags.

Oh and don't expect compensation either.The EU court of "justice" ruled that you are not entitled to any when it comes to firearms.

missed that bit - how did they come to the decision that private property can be confiscated without compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why hand it over intact..... I'd hand it over cut up so nobody will be using it.

It's not illegal for B/A rifles to accept mags over the S/A limit.

Edit: AFAIK anyone with S/A cannot possess mags over x rounds per EU directive/ Irish SI, but someone with B/A can, as long as they don't also have S/A.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

As well as any full auto blank firing weaponary ,and under the Irish muck up,your full auto paintball toy,as technically it is now,a CAT A prohibited weapon.Due to it being (1)a restricted firearm under Irish law and (2) being a full auto under EU law.Ergo because it is a registerd firearm here it is because of that registration made illegal by the EU directive.

So if you are handing in any,at least paint them as a protest bright PINK.So at least when we have a bunch of Gaurds and politicans standing around behind a pile of Pink mags and guns they will look a right bunch altogether in the photo shoot,in how this law wil make it safer for the public,blah blah etc ,etc.

Grizzly, would I be correct thinking that under those new regulations coming in force a British made SLR would be acceptable for a target shooter to possess and a FAL converted to semi-auto only isn’t ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Grizzly, would I be correct thinking that under those new regulations coming in force a British made SLR would be acceptable for a target shooter to possess and a FAL converted to semi-auto only isn’t ?

Yup,if it never had any sort of select fire mechanism in it,it's like the M1 Garand,SKS carbine types, or the Russian SVT 40 , Springfield M1a1,or the M1 carbine[Careful now!,make sure it wasn't a converted M2 or has an M2 reciver,or is a converted German Neidermeyer firearm,which can use reworked original parts into a semi auto] or any other type of military issued semi that was designed from the get go as a semi auto from design spec,it is good to go under the legislation.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

yubabill wrote: »
    It's not illegal for B/A rifles to accept mags over the S/A limit.

Edit: AFAIK anyone with S/A cannot possess mags over x rounds per EU directive/ Irish SI, but someone with B/A can, as long as they don't also have S/A.

And here is where the DOJ heads were blown open...what happens if you have say,a 9mm Glock pistol,which can hold 20 rounds,and you also have a 9mm carbine that can take Glock magazines as well,but is limited to ten rounds?Both are legal to own firearms if liscensed.BUT because of mag interchangeability between the two guns,you are breaking the law,as you cannot posses a mag with a greater capacity than the SI for a particular type. IOW because your carbine can take the 20 round glock pistol mag,and you might put it in the carbine.It's a Cat A prohibited firearm and you are likely to lose it and your liscense for it too,just by mere possesion of a legal mag for your pistol...They couldnt get their heads around this,and because of their rush to legislate and QUOTE " keep as few as possible semi autos out of civillian hands" have left this particular EU turd floating about the bowl. As is happening all over the EU with this problem.Bar those who amnestyed or grandfatherd this problem.

yubabill wrote: »
    missed that bit - how did they come to the decision that private property can be confiscated without compensation?

EU court of "justice" in response to the Czech case against the EU directive..DOJ got the same advice from the attorenery generals office on the compensation question here,and are no using the EU case to bolster theirs...:(
    Still could be challenged in the HC,as it is a dangerous precedent for saying then anything in private purchased property liscensed by the state for use could be forfeit.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

EU court of "justice" in response to the Czech case against the EU directive..DOJ got the same advice from the attorenery generals office on the compensation question here,and are no using the EU case to bolster theirs...:(
    Still could be challenged in the HC,as it is a dangerous precedent for saying then anything in private purchased property liscensed by the state for use could be forfeit.
    Great so it means their argument against rent caps falls over too? Same logic wasn't it?

Certainly they applied it to the taxi drivers liscense plates too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Why hand it over intact..... I'd hand it over cut up so nobody will be using it.

Why not plug the mag to only hold 10 rounds?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Why not plug the mag to only hold 10 rounds?

Which you possibly can do under the Irish law,but is questionable under the EU directive,as it is not clear what part under the EU ban of the mag is prohibited .No one is anyone the wiser on this point.So it is proably the best practice you can do at the moment,as it seems everyone else in the EU is doing such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I would just love for the relevant authorities to explain to me how this helps take firearms out of the hands of criminals...

Thanks,

G.

Do not see that implied in the CZ case, myself.

So, another piece of the veneer of the right to private property gone.

Remember the bank bail-in during the Cyprus crisis? When they took bank deposits to save themselves?

That model has quietly been adopted into law almost everywhere, now - including here, the EU and the US.

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

I would just love for the relevant authorities to explain to me how this helps take firearms out of the hands of criminals...

You ,me,and 40 million other EU and 130 million US gunowners would like that point clarified as well. It was a dumb anti gun idea from California in the 1980s and it is still a dumb idea in 2020,based on a fantasy,that if a mass shooter only has ten round mags,he has to stop to reload,ad people mght overwhelm him in the 3 seconds it takes someone who has practised abit to reload a mag.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You ,me,and 40 million other EU and 130 million US gunowners would like that point clarified as well. It was a dumb anti gun idea from California in the 1980s and it is still a dumb idea in 2020,based on a fantasy,that if a mass shooter only has ten round mags,he has to stop to reload,ad people mght overwhelm him in the 3 seconds it takes someone who has practised abit to reload a mag.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3 full seconds to reload with a full mag ? That’s as slow as a wet Tuesday.....

Why do the powers that be take such a negative approach when it comes to firearms in private possession ?

The worst crimes committed involving the use of firearms in Europe in the last century or so have been committed by governments with state owned firearms in the hands of state personnel.

3 full seconds to reload with a full mag ? That’s as slow as a wet Tuesday.....

Why do the powers that be take such a negative approach when it comes to firearms in private possession ?

The worst crimes committed involving the use of firearms in Europe in the last century or so have been committed by governments with state owned firearms in the hands of state personnel.

You answerd your two questions there with with their own asking. If you have an armed pouplation, who considers that the state should stay out of their lives as much as possible,its rather hard to oppress them and load them onto cattle cars for a one way trip somewhere unpleasent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wish they'd standardise all firearms laws across the EU, then we might actually get some relaxation here rather than how they only apply the most restrictive parts. As it is, does anywhere have more restrictive gun laws in the EU than Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

kowloon wrote: »
    I wish they'd standardise all firearms laws across the EU, then we might actually get some relaxation here rather than how they only apply the most restrictive parts. As it is, does anywhere have more restrictive gun laws in the EU than Ireland?

I doubt it, even the former Warsaw pact countries have a more liberal set of rules and laws than we do.

Close run ing for 2nd place UK and Greece for the kind of "ban it all" type thinking.For the "make it a pain in the ass to get" title goes to Germany and France,certainly Holland is a strong contender for that on hunting lics.

The thought of a standard across the EU should be the stuff of nightmares for us all after the cluster f00k that was the last EU directive.:eek:

• Advertisement

tudderone wrote: »
    I doubt it, even the former Warsaw pact countries have a more liberal set of rules and laws than we do.

Living in and under Communist dictatorships do have a wonderful way of focussing your mind on freedoms we Western democracies take for granted. Its why FUN was started by a Polish lad who had the pleasure of experiancing full blown communism growing up in 1980s Warsaw.

Living in and under Communist dictatorships do have a wonderful way of focussing your mind on freedoms we Western democracies take for granted. Its why FUN was started by a Polish lad who had the pleasure of experiancing full blown communism growing up in 1980s Warsaw.

Wait until mary loo and co gets into power, we'll know all about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The thought of a standard across the EU should be the stuff of nightmares for us all after the cluster f00k that was the last EU directive.:eek:

I get the cluster duck, but it would be nice to get some of the benefits of wider standardisation, it would reduce restriction here. Even more so now that the UK is out of the EU as their regulations are pretty strict too.
    Which raises another question: If NI ever ended up part of the Republic how would their gun laws, the most relaxed in the UK, go down with the gubberment?
    Wait until mary loo and co gets into power, we'll know all about it :rolleyes:

That's a little unfair of a statement given her wonderful collection of Libyan Kalashnikovs.

kowloon wrote: »
    Which raises another question: If NI ever ended up part of the Republic how would their gun laws, the most relaxed in the UK, go down with the gubberment?

Like the proverbial lead balloon i would think. We have had the twats in the dail complaining about "gun culture" before. The notion that something like NITSA and practical shooting would be allowed again would cause a lot of small minds to melt.

Like the proverbial lead balloon i would think. We have had the twats in the dail complaining about "gun culture" before. The notion that something like NITSA and practical shooting would be allowed again would cause a lot of small minds to melt.

They’d have a fit in Kildare street with the thousands of personal protection weapons on the books in Northern Ireland. The vast majority would be in the hands of PSNI personnel but there’s quite a few others in possession of a personal protection weapon. I use the word weapon deliberately since they’re licensed principally as a self defence tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

If the EU decided to force everyone to standardise Firearm legislation, they'd use the most restrictive country as the standard.

Anyway, I guess this is returning the firearms and components that you had on loan from the State, they'd like it back.

I presume over-10-rounders for rimfire is still OK to *OWN*?

They’d have a fit in Kildare street with the thousands of personal protection weapons on the books in Northern Ireland. The vast majority would be in the hands of PSNI personnel but there’s quite a few others in possession of a personal protection weapon. I use the word weapon deliberately since they’re licensed principally as a self defence tool.

Yup, and as there are plenty of people up there that have CCWP that are not police either,but civillians who work in considerd dangerous jobs or are related to serving police/military personel,or former security service.It would be impossible for the new "Irish police service" which will be unarmed or armed? creating another headache, as proably 75% of AGS would quit if they were to be armed on duty,as it is totally anethema to AGS since the states foundation. To protect these from,no matter what assurances SF or the other lot give that it is all over from the STILL existent headbangers who are still at war and have grudges to settle,and still have access to arms,no matter how much assurances and PR events we got with decommissioning.Or still belive "Home rule is Rome rule".

So that spills down to us.Why does somones life matter more in NI because they were a former RUC man 20 years ago,and he is entitled to a CCWP,and I'm a journalist in the Republic getting death threats from criminals because I'm exposing their operations?

Also,considering the majority of gunowners and guns are concentrated more in the six than the twenty six,and alot of them have police and military and para military experiance,still have access to milspec hardware in various military and police barracks about the place and are suss no matter what ,of the Republic,trying to disarm them wil play right into the hands of the extremists.
    Not forgetting they were pretty good at crafting their own "Stenlings,Ulster funny guns or Harland & Wolff specials"

Intresting times ahead if this does happen.

If the EU decided to force everyone to standardise Firearm legislation, they'd use the most restrictive country as the standard.

Anyway, I guess this is returning the firearms and components that you had on loan from the State, they'd like it back.

I presume over-10-rounders for rimfire is still OK to *OWN*?

Yup,it never affected .22 rifles.Untill of course some bunch decide to use, like the Baader Meinhoff gang,a .22 rifle that looks vaugely militaristic like the German "Landmann" for a shooting spree or a bank heist,and we have another EU "Idontlikedelookofthat" rash of laws.:rolleyes:

You can be assured it would be modelled on the German gun laws and hunting liscense,along with almost annual sessions with your head shrinker .Govt approved of course and with a quota to fill of declaring people of unsound mind and not fit to own a gun.[But perfectly capable to fly aeroplanes and operate heavy machinery!:rolleyes:] With no possiblity of appeal,like this is normal in Italy.
    So lets not go there with any standarisation from the EU.I'd really like to have a few more years of as least unmolested shooting as possible from either Irish or EU meddlers .

• Advertisement

.....Not forgetting they were pretty good at crafting their own "Stenlings,Ulster funny guns or Harland & Wolff specials"

Intresting times ahead if this does happen.

Shortt’s for green and Harland & Wolff for orange....I’ve seen and handled some of those sub machine guns stored in a secure collection. Some were shocking but others would have passed quality control in Vickers or BSA without a problem.

Advertisement